Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:33:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread  (Read 41108 times)
floridaman86

Activity: 24
Merit: 3

View Profile
August 10, 2022, 11:57:08 PM

totally new to mining.

just got my apollo about a week ago (batch 4). Is it normal for it to disconnect from the WIFI every day? I have to manually reconnect it every evening. Sometimes I don't notice it for over an hour.

This evening it stopped sending data to the pool. never disconnected from the WIFI, but in order to fix it, I had to turn the miner off completely, and then turn it on again.
harshhash19

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2022, 03:01:27 PM

I just received my new batch 4 order. 1 full unit and 3 standard miners. The full unit and 2 standard units work perfectly. 1 standard unit is not showing up on my dashboard and has the static red light. I have given it hours to load, rebooted, restarted and nothing seems to work. It will start to blink like the others but just returns to the solid red light. Anyone else having this issue?
jsawzall

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 12, 2022, 06:56:57 AM

Has anyone used the NODE Configuration to set up ledger live access?  If so, would you please share how you configured the node from the settings file?
'

Have been trying and can't seem to get it working.....asked a question about it on a recent post, got a response from john but it didn't work.
Prior to the new MCU1 image flash, I was able to remotely connect sparrow to the node with and without TOR enabled (per configuration settings in a previous reply). Post-flash I'm unable to connect wallet via RPC or by SSH with puTTY. I've tried every combination of username (futurebit & futurebitbtc) and password (default futurebit123, custom PW created in initial setup and the Bitcoin RPC password as shown in the settings/node config) with no luck. I suspect it may have something to do with a username/password issue during initial setup because when I Log-Out of the dashboard or the OS, I'm immediately unable to log back in using any of the possible password options. Seemingly the only way around this is to power off and restart. I've reflashed image and setup 4x and keep running into these issues. Any thoughts?
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2131
Merit: 1398

View Profile
August 12, 2022, 08:37:04 PM

Has anyone used the NODE Configuration to set up ledger live access?  If so, would you please share how you configured the node from the settings file?
'

Have been trying and can't seem to get it working.....asked a question about it on a recent post, got a response from john but it didn't work.
Prior to the new MCU1 image flash, I was able to remotely connect sparrow to the node with and without TOR enabled (per configuration settings in a previous reply). Post-flash I'm unable to connect wallet via RPC or by SSH with puTTY. I've tried every combination of username (futurebit & futurebitbtc) and password (default futurebit123, custom PW created in initial setup and the Bitcoin RPC password as shown in the settings/node config) with no luck. I suspect it may have something to do with a username/password issue during initial setup because when I Log-Out of the dashboard or the OS, I'm immediately unable to log back in using any of the possible password options. Seemingly the only way around this is to power off and restart. I've reflashed image and setup 4x and keep running into these issues. Any thoughts?

The new image resets the futurebit user password to the password you set in your dashboard setup. There is also a known bug if you use a special character in your password, so please use just alphanumeric password until we fix this bug.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
satosato42

Activity: 11
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 12, 2022, 09:39:08 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2022, 08:38:02 PM by satosato42

Why is Futurebit using this forum as it's support and instruction/manual medium? Why don't you guys have the instructions in this thread on your website?! Why not have a Telegram or Matrix channel as well? Where's the Github repo where we can submit issues for the Futurebit software and download updates instead of having to download it from Mega?

quickmr2

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 13, 2022, 02:10:49 AM

after flashing to new mc1 image the miner is now running 15 degrees hotter, why?
prior temp was 70 degrees now temp after flash is 85 degrees
SpeedForceGN

Activity: 59

View Profile
August 13, 2022, 11:06:54 AM

With the latest release, is it safe to update software on our system without affecting operations?  I seen that Ubuntu 22.04.1 is available for upgrade.
Jota_US

Activity: 51

View Profile
August 13, 2022, 07:51:31 PM

I have a batch1 and updated to v0.3.4 without issue. I didn't see the post about flashing the drive.
Since I was able to update to the latest version do I still need to flash?
crypto_curious

Activity: 924
Merit: 175

View Profile
August 13, 2022, 09:00:03 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2022, 11:18:02 PM by crypto_curious

Why is Futurebit using this forum as it's support and instruction/manual medium? Why don't you guys have the instructions in this thread on your website?! Why not have a Telegram or Matrix channel as well? Where's the Github repo where we can submit issues for the Futurebit software and download updates instead of having to download it from Mega?

Lots of questions for someone first time here. Let me try to help.
"Why is Futurebit using this forum as it's support and instruction/manual medium?"
Why not? What's wrong with it? This forum is just fine to communicate with support. And they have e-mail support also. In fact, I used e-mail support when I had to RMA the NVMe drive and it was quick and painless.

"Why don't you guys have the instructions in this thread on your website?!"
Here, I agree. Instruction manual should be in PDF form available on the website. Maybe it is, but I've never seen or used it.

"Why not have a Telegram or Matrix channel as well?"
Why would they? Managing and moderating Telegram/matrix channels cost time which Futurebit devs don't have.

"Where's the Github repo where we can submit issues for the Futurebit software"
https://github.com/jstefanop/Apollo-Miner-Binaries/issues
This is for miner binary only though. Feel free to report issue here if its regarding miner binary.

"download updates instead of having to download it from Mega?"
What's wrong with Mega? Did it not work, you couldn't download or something?

To sum up, I agree with your points that support could be much more modern, but this is not strictly necessary for product to be a success. So I respect devs choice to do what they want in that regard. As long as I am happy with communication (which I am). And product itself works perfectly fine.
satosato42

View Profile
August 14, 2022, 02:49:10 AM

Lots of questions for someone first time here. Let me try to help.

"Why is Futurebit using this forum as it's support and instruction/manual medium?"
Why not? What's wrong with it? This forum is just fine to communicate with support. And they have e-mail support also. In fact, I used e-mail support when I had to RMA the NVMe drive and it was quick and painless. \
For starters, it's not specified anywhere on their website that this is the "official" support platform. Second, a forum is a terrible place to handle support as evidenced by the over 78 pages on this thread. Third, it requires a user to create an account for a forum they may not want to create an account in.

"Why don't you guys have the instructions in this thread on your website?!"
Here, I agree. Instruction manual should be in PDF form available on the website. Maybe it is, but I've never seen or used it.
Agreed. It's not on their website.

"Why not have a Telegram or Matrix channel as well?"
Why would they? Managing and moderating Telegram/matrix channels cost time which Futurebit devs don't have.
You can outsource your moderation just like how it's being outsourced to whoever is moderating this thread. Moderation on a forum and on Telegram/Matrix is the same. There's a reason most other bitcoin related companies have Telegram/Matrix channels. It makes more sense.

"Where's the Github repo where we can submit issues for the Futurebit software"
https://github.com/jstefanop/Apollo-Miner-Binaries/issues
This is for miner binary only though. Feel free to report issue here if its regarding miner binary.
Is this the same as the OS or GUI interface software?

"download updates instead of having to download it from Mega?"
What's wrong with Mega? Did it not work, you couldn't download or something?
Mega has been involved in quite a few sketchy things in the past and so downloading files from their site in not my preferred method of choice for getting essential files that a manufacturer/company should be providing on their site, self hosted.

To sum up, I agree with your points that support could be much more modern, but this is not strictly necessary for product to be a success. So I respect devs choice to do what they want in that regard. As long as I am happy with communication (which I am). And product itself works perfectly fine.
The points I've brought up have negatively impacted my perception of Futurebit as a company. Whether you agree or not, that's just a fact. Therefore, I would argue that while strictly not necessary, these things are easy to do, standard across the industry, and would greatly improve Futurebit's brand which in the end is what will determine it's success once competition starts entering the market which it inevitably will. They've got first to market advantage which can only help for so long and I feel they're squandering it by not getting their shyt together in these basic things.
satosato42

View Profile
August 14, 2022, 05:46:51 PM

I see two different temperatures in the GUI. I assume the one under "Hashboards" pertains to the hashboard and the one at the top is the OrangePi CPU? Is that correct?

Here's a screencap of what I'm referring to:
https://imgur.com/a/HKu2n7o

If so, what are the specs for the Futurebit in terms of how high these temps can go without it being an issue?
heslo
Legendary

Activity: 1183
Merit: 1032

View Profile
August 14, 2022, 06:53:56 PM

I see two different temperatures in the GUI. I assume the one under "Hashboards" pertains to the hashboard and the one at the top is the OrangePi CPU? Is that correct?

Here's a screencap of what I'm referring to:

If so, what are the specs for the Futurebit in terms of how high these temps can go without it being an issue?

You are correct, I think I've seen mention of 80 to 90 degrees being safe here. I blow the dust out of mine every month or two and temps are around the 68 to 72 mark usually
SpeedForceGN

View Profile
August 16, 2022, 11:35:43 AM

~snip~

Can we update Ubunto to the latest version without bricking system?

FYI this has already been fixed in the next firmware image that should be released in the next few weeks.

Its a large update that fixes all remaining security and image issues and lays the foundation for big feature updates now that we finally have both unit production and image software at a mature state. We'll finally be able to launch our app ecosystem and we have been listening to all the feature requests and will start rolling these out in the next few months!
That's good to hear! Also great that this 'app ecosystem' is coming. But will it also allow people to update packages and operating system normally through their package manager?
Being able to use this as a 'desktop computer' has been one of its main selling points from day one, to be honest, so there are customers waiting for this update for literally years now.

And will it have the latest version of Armbian and nodeJS? Because the web dashboard as of now doesn't run on latest node..

There is nothing preventing you from installing any linux app on the desktop right now, but yes updating normally will no longer brick the system as long as you dont do anything crazy like a dist upgrade. Both the Armbian subsystem and linux kernel have been updated to 5.15.x
SpeedForceGN

View Profile
August 16, 2022, 02:53:13 PM

trying to connect my node to ledger live....will this work ?
has anyone tried and got it working ?

Yes, with the new update all you have to do is add the line

rpcallowip=youripaddress

in the settings page of your node and save. IP address has to be the local IP address of your computer you have ledger live installed. You then can enable the connect full node settings in ledger live using your nodes ip address and its RPC credentials (username futurebit RPC password displayed in settings). Obviously both the node and your computer have to be on your local network for this to work.

That should do it and allow you to broadcast your Bitcoin txs through your own node via your ledger hardware wallet!

Appreciate the reply but unfortunately it did not work.

rpcallowip=123.456.7.890 in the config box. computer ip where ledger live is installed.

Then on ledger live connect node enter my ip address of the futurebit miner along with the port number example 123.123.1.123:8333

user futurebit password from settings page. Have tried this in TOR mode as well and still nothing.

I was able to reconnect a software wallet by adding the below lines to the settings box and saving, as clipped from econoalchemist's tutorial at https://bitcoinmagazine.com/guides/how-to-use-futurebit-apollo-bitcoin-node-miner
The recent update changed previously modified bitcoin.conf file described therein with TOR enabled. This seemed to worked for me but I have zero clue if this may cause other adverse issues

rpcbind=127.0.0.1
rpcbind=192.168.69.16 (your Apollo local IP address)
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcallowip=192.168.69.12 (your desktop local IP address)

On the PC side with LEDGER Wallet, did/do you have the json file lss.exe RUNNING?  If so, what were your steps to get it to run on windows? Also did you have to open ports 8333 and 8332 on your router?
TheGasManII

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 18, 2022, 10:48:41 PM

I just flashed my SD card and restarted the Apollo BTC and now Ubuntu  wants to upgrade to 22.04. Should I install the update?

Also, when it booted back up after the flash, the dashboard never popped up. Is there a shortcut somewhere?
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5829

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2022, 11:46:56 PM

I just flashed my SD card and restarted the Apollo BTC and now Ubuntu  wants to upgrade to 22.04. Should I install the update?

Also, when it booted back up after the flash, the dashboard never popped up. Is there a shortcut somewhere?
The dashboard should be at http://localhost:3000/, I believe.
May also just try http://localhost/ otherwise.

From what jstefanop last said, it is now safe to update the underlying OS independently from Futurebit updates. I'd just try; worst case, reflash the microSD.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
crypto_curious

Activity: 924
Merit: 175

View Profile
August 19, 2022, 12:48:43 PM

satosato42
You brought some valid points. Perhaps jstefanop should address some of your concerns.

Regarding having to create forum account - to get support, you can always e-mail them, no need to participate in free discussion here if you don't want to. And if we were to move this to Telegram/Discord, account creation is required there also.
But still... Having "Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread" here and its not officially listed on Futurebit website? How people should know about this official thread?

Last point I wanted to address:
Mega has been involved in quite a few sketchy things in the past and so downloading files from their site in not my preferred method of choice for getting essential files that a manufacturer/company should be providing on their site, self hosted.
Mega has been involved in what sketchy things?
One can host files anywhere on the planet, as long as hash matches, your file is 100% safe. jstefanop provides links to download together with hashes to check. You must check if file matches the hash, after you download it.
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2022, 09:51:51 PM
Merited by hugeblack (4), n0nce (1)

satosato42
You brought some valid points. Perhaps jstefanop should address some of your concerns.

Regarding having to create forum account - to get support, you can always e-mail them, no need to participate in free discussion here if you don't want to. And if we were to move this to Telegram/Discord, account creation is required there also.
But still... Having "Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread" here and its not officially listed on Futurebit website? How people should know about this official thread?

Last point I wanted to address:
Mega has been involved in what sketchy things?
One can host files anywhere on the planet, as long as hash matches, your file is 100% safe. jstefanop provides links to download together with hashes to check. You must check if file matches the hash, after you download it.

Twitter, email, and this forum thread have been good support avenues so far and until the futurebit community gets into the 100s of thousands of people (which we hope!) there is no need to dedicated more resources to support currently. Company is run very lean and thats why we have survived 3 bear markets so far and can offer our products with very low margins.

With that being said product support will be revamped in the coming months with a dedicated support site that has most of the info in this thread + guides + faqs etc in a clean easy to use format.

We use mega because its the most crypto friendly host, sure they probably host more "sketchy" things on the internet than most but thats not Mega's fault, as long as your cross checking the checksums I post here and on mega and only downloading from links on here or futurebit.io your downloading the official images. I will start signing images for added security though.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
jstefanop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2022, 10:31:41 AM
Merited by n0nce (1)

FYI we have been getting some reports of users mistakenly doing a full distro upgrade to their system, this will still brick your OS as it pulls the full ubuntu upgrade to 22.04, which our board is not designed for. 

The base system will still be 20.04, and you should only do apt update/upgrade...do NOT do a full dist upgrade if the OS prompts you to upgrade to 22.04.

The fix we implemented is to only do base system updates/security updates to the current 20.04 and 5.15.x kernel which the Apollo will remain on for the foreseeable future.

SpeedForceGN

View Profile
August 21, 2022, 01:06:47 PM

FYI we have been getting some reports of users mistakenly doing a full distro upgrade to their system, this will still brick your OS as it pulls the full ubuntu upgrade to 22.04, which our board is not designed for. 

The base system will still be 20.04, and you should only do apt update/upgrade...do NOT do a full dist upgrade if the OS prompts you to upgrade to 22.04.

The fix we implemented is to only do base system updates/security updates to the current 20.04 and 5.15.x kernel which the Apollo will remain on for the foreseeable future.

Can someone provide the step-by-step instructions and procedures on how to do "apt update/upgrade"?  I am learning and want to learn more
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 »
  Print  

Jump to: