Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:48:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread  (Read 39372 times)
gregwatson

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2022, 01:41:53 AM

You would be shocked how often a bad cable is the culprit - but even the most sophisticated technical people overlook this basic obvious tech 101 - here is an edit from someone with a problem just a few days ago "***2nd EDIT: I decided to employ a VERY hi-tech solution (read: sarcasm)...I just plugged another USB cable in [...] Grin Cheesy Guess what? Worked" ... yet people self-admit sarcasm when they do it after wasting countless hours of their own time and other people's time - simply because they didn't troubleshoot the basics first ...

So what is troubleshooting tip #1? Check your cables - even if you think they are ok, swap them out with a cable you know is good ... if you are getting a "solid red light" - guess what, we expect you to do the basics and when you ask a question - provide useful information ...  or most of us will be too polite to tell you that your question lacked any useful information and was "NO HELP AT ALL" ... so who was no help at all?

What is troubleshooting tip #2? Provide detail about what you have tried, done, are observing at each step - someone else will catch the "been there done that" captain obvious thing that is usually occurring - but you will have asked a useful question with useful information rather than being the "no help at all" person ending up in the wrong forum ... and when you provide useful information, there are a lot of people who enjoy helping troubleshoot - and you will get useful helpful replies - rather than offers to purchase you rig ...

That was definitely me  Grin, palm to face for not using my continuity tester first thing -- tunnel vision is real, though, when one suspects it being a software issue. Miners (2x Standard and 1x Full) mining away solidly on Turbo Mode for over 36 straight hours now, no more faults after I fixed the wiring harness with its 1 faulty wire.

Ave power draw: 599w on Turbo
Ave w per Th/s: 66
15min hashrate: 9.05 Th/s

I've done worse - new work supplied super-thin laptop (with a sketchy IT dept) - I think I spent 2-4 hours (off/on) troubleshooting webcam drivers only to find there was a little manual switch closing a plastic cover over the webcam lens .... so we have all been there ... more often it is simply a cable not plugged in snugly that has pulled loose or picked up a piece of static-styrofoam-ball blocking a connection - or a crimped cable that may not even be visibly bad ...

But the sad reality is - I can't tell you how many times I have walked across campus, waited outside someone's office for half-an-hour, only to unplug a cable and securely plug it back in ... or swap out a cable from my bag and poof everything works ... that and software troubleshooting tip #1 asking someone to try a different web browser (works almost everytime) ...

Woo Hoo - I think I saw Batch 4 Apollo BTC shipping from inventory ...

DrG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
heslo

Activity: 1161
Merit: 943

View Profile
September 30, 2022, 11:12:54 AM

Node has stopped running. Appears to be due to storage filling up since it's only a 500gb drive. If I'm not mistaken, the solution is to simply obtain a larger capacity sd card and insert into the bottom of the node unit, yes?

Simplest solution is to enable bitcoind pruning (which is limiting number of blocks to certain value, basically discarding old blocks, so hard drive don't overspill). But Futurebit has not got around to support their users properly - this is nowhere to be found in the settings. They knew the day is coming but did nothing, now all early batch users with 512GB drives running with crashed bitcoin nodes, not providing any benefit to Bitcoin blockchain p2p network, which was heavily advertised during sales.
You are left out, you either have to configure pruning yourself in bitcoind config files inside Apollo, or purchase 1TB NVMe drive, brand new for around 70 USD (in the UK where I live) last time I checked.

So I:

1. Swap the internal drive, which is more annoyance than I'd prefer to deal with..
2. Attempt to modify the software, which is more annoyance than I'd prefer to deal with..
or
3. Ignore the situation and lose out on the money and purpose for buying a node unit to begin with?

Yes, exactly, that's all options you have. As Sledge0001 mentioned, buying new 1TB NVMe drive may be easiest option, but it costs money. Second great alternative option would be Futurebit adding pruning, so you can lose out 20GB of old blocks and still serve 490GB of newer blocks. This interferes with planned in the future Lightning Node support, but LN support is nowhere at the moment.
But unfortunately, because Futurebit did nothing to prevent this, we now arrived at option no. 3, where ALL nodes from 512GB users just crashed and no one is serving any blocks to Bitcoin network, and no one (apart from few here in this thread) even knows why, because there was no announcement or warning to users, no newsletter, mailing, nothing. Every node just dead.

Edit: Before someone mentions this issue, to my knowledge pruned node are seeding blocks, and they are considered as "full nodes": https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/72617/how-can-a-pruned-node-be-classed-a-full-node-without-the-full-blockchain says:

Since, they don't keep older block data, only thing that they can't do is to return older block data to other nodes. They still keep latest block data for reogranization, which they can share with other nodes

Amused. Just got an email from FutureBit perfectly explaining how to upgrade the drive.

At your own cost, of course. No pruning in sight.
And I received no e-mail whatsoever, so I assume it was you who contacted them, and another thousand of users get nothing.

Everyone that ordered a Batch 1 or 2 should have received the email. I will not advocate or push an update for pruned nodes, a pruned node is the same as a dead node in my eyes.

As has been discussed extensively  since the beginning, we purposely chose a 500GB drive knowing people would have to swap the drive out in 1-2 years because we knew prices would be a fraction of what we would have had to charge for Batch 1-2 devices with a 1TB drive and that was the right choice then and is the right choice now. We would have had to charge an extra 150 at the time for the 1TB drive, 1TB drives are now 75 and will end up costing you less than 50 if you sell your 500GB drive. I think this is the better decision all around, and swapping out the drive and setting it up takes 5 minutes.

You made the right choice. I appreciated the cost saving for less than an hour of my time buying then swapping the drive and setting it up again
PKAA525

View Profile
September 30, 2022, 11:35:43 AM

Hello.  I'm interested in using my full node Apollo as the back end for my Trezor Suite instead of using their servers.  Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Are there any guides available?  Thanks!
heslo

View Profile
September 30, 2022, 12:12:22 PM

Hello.  I'm interested in using my full node Apollo as the back end for my Trezor Suite instead of using their servers.  Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Are there any guides available?  Thanks!

I've seen one for Ledger but not for Trezor. I'd also be keen on this. I know Trezor Suite is adding in Bitcoin Core support for nodes some day but you can't just do it out the box for now with the Apollo as far as I know
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2022, 05:10:22 PM

Trezor Suite allows you to choose a custom Electrum server.

How to connect to your own node
If you are not currently running a node, there are many ways to get started. Free and open source software is widely available and supported by all kinds of operating systems and hardware. Electrum Server can be installed and run as a standalone program or bundled alongside other tools. You can also connect to existing Electrum Server nodes if you do not want to run your own.

Once you have a node up and running, connecting to it is as simple as entering the address of your node under the Bitcoin settings, which is found under the Crypto tab in Settings.
[...]

You can install such an Electrum server on the Futurebit Apollo BTC, no problem.
Here are my instructions. They are for a full custom Linux install, but work on stock Futurebit OS, as well. Just follow the electrs instructions.

electrs
Since one of the main benefits of running a full node is privacy during transaction & address lookup, an Electrum server is needed. Otherwise you'd have to query using Bitcoin Core all the time and can't just use your mobile and desktop applications for that.

[1] Install dependencies; make sure you're logged into admin and not bitcoin.
Code:
sudo apt install clang cargo rustc tor
[...]

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
PKAA525

View Profile
October 01, 2022, 11:52:57 PM

Trezor Suite allows you to choose a custom Electrum server.
[...]
You can install such an Electrum server on the Futurebit Apollo BTC, no problem.
Here are my instructions. They are for a full custom Linux install, but work on stock Futurebit OS, as well. Just follow the electrs instructions.
[...]

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I have the skills to understand and follow these instructions (linux, electrum, et al).  My only concern is specific to the Apollo.  When I got it I immediately updated it to the latest OS patch level - which of course bricked it and I had to re-image and start again.  Any chance of issues like that cropping up while using these instructions?  Re-imaging and starting from scratch is tedious!  Smiley
n0nce

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2022, 03:37:22 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I have the skills to understand and follow these instructions (linux, electrum, et al).  My only concern is specific to the Apollo.  When I got it I immediately updated it to the latest OS patch level - which of course bricked it and I had to re-image and start again.  Any chance of issues like that cropping up while using these instructions?  Re-imaging and starting from scratch is tedious!  Smiley
Nope, this only happens if you update the Linux operating system itself to a newer major revision. The instructions I provided only update and install packages; not touching the system.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
unicornmangle

Activity: 49
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 02, 2022, 05:53:35 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2022, 06:04:01 PM by unicornmangle

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I have the skills to understand and follow these instructions (linux, electrum, et al).  My only concern is specific to the Apollo.  When I got it I immediately updated it to the latest OS patch level - which of course bricked it and I had to re-image and start again.  Any chance of issues like that cropping up while using these instructions?  Re-imaging and starting from scratch is tedious!  Smiley
Nope, this only happens if you update the Linux operating system itself to a newer major revision. The instructions I provided only update and install packages; not touching the system.

Installing electrum and lightning on a different machine is as good as running all on the same? I realize its a little redundant but i have a couple mac minis with dual core processors that should be able to run this instead of taxing the full node.

I guess what im asking is does more ram+processor help bitcoind, lightning or electrum more? I have considered just throwing away the sbc part of the full node i just came seem to find a reason for needing it that is obvious to me. it has opened a lot of doors for me tinkering with gpio and pci-e a lot more than i have in the past simply because i never had a reason to do so prior.

I think the futurebit product is def something many many non technical people can utilize especially if its secure i do not have any background beyond common sense on security of linux and networking so that was one reason i ordered it. sorry jstefanop its not you its really me im dumb your product is great more so the software i think as i cant unlock all the secrets if there is any of the board itself.

standing on the shoulders of giants is great but becoming a mini giant is also rewarding at this point id settle for micro giant. of all the time and money i spent on trying to educate myself in this bitcoin world i think overall its worth it but the frustration really sucks.
n0nce

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2022, 11:48:25 PM

Installing electrum and lightning on a different machine is as good as running all on the same? I realize its a little redundant but i have a couple mac minis with dual core processors that should be able to run this instead of taxing the full node.
I wouldn't put Electrum / Lightning on a different machine than the machine holding the Bitcoin Core install with the blockchain. The second machine's uptime would otherwise always depend on the primary machine (with Bitcoin Core) being online. Separating 'Mining' and 'Full Node' may make sense, though.

I guess what im asking is does more ram+processor help bitcoind, lightning or electrum more?
The Apollo SBC has enough power for everything, but if you have extra hardware lying around, putting the whole 'full node' stuff on there, may allow you to have slightly better uptime / reliability in terms of always having access to it, while the miner may have a downtime. By nature, an ASIC can have problems with power supply or cooling (e.g. in summer) from time to time.

I have considered just throwing away the sbc part of the full node i just came seem to find a reason for needing it that is obvious to me. it has opened a lot of doors for me tinkering with gpio and pci-e a lot more than i have in the past simply because i never had a reason to do so prior.
Well, without the SBC, the Apollo won't mine on its own. You will always need to keep another computer running to feed the ASIC hashboard inside the Apollo the blocks to mine. If you already got the full unit, why would you want to do this?

If you enjoy tinkering with GPIO (for other projects), maybe get a Raspberry Pi Zero or such; cheaper and better documented than the Orange Pi 4.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mxnsch

Activity: 471
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 04, 2022, 07:34:04 AM

I have a brand new batch 1 standard unit that isn't picked up by my full package unit at all. The red front led is blinking and turning solid red after a short while. The standard unit hash board isn't visible in the UI

What I tried already past weekend:
  • Flashed a new OS image to a new SD card
  • tested the sdcard with https://fight-flash-fraud.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage.html
  • Swap USB cables and ports multiple times
  • Restart full unit and standard unit in different orders with wait times from minutes to hours in between
  • Swap & replace power supply. I tried both devices on one (750W) power supply and both on a separate, dedicated power supply

The output of armbianmonitor -u for my full package unit can be found at http://ix.io/4cfd

What else can I do to troubleshoot the function of the device on the hardware / software side?

██  ███  nope ██  ███
JohnnyCucuzza

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 06, 2022, 06:47:50 PM

Hello, now that’s it’s getting cooler outside I’m going to turn the apollos (BTC and LTC) back on. This time I’m thinking of solo mining. Is direct solo mining still planned for BTC? Anyone doing it - is CK pool the best?
Thank you!
n0nce

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2022, 09:54:27 PM

~
Is it picked up by your PC or laptop? That would have been my first troubleshooting step. Grin
Figure out whether it's a problem with the hashboard / standard unit or the controller / full unit.

Hello, now that’s it’s getting cooler outside I’m going to turn the apollos (BTC and LTC) back on. This time I’m thinking of solo mining. Is direct solo mining still planned for BTC? Anyone doing it - is CK pool the best?
Thank you!
I would recommend the https://kano.is/ solo pool by kano. Not sure where solo mining sits on jstefanop's roadmap!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
crypto_curious

Activity: 924
Merit: 175

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 12:22:01 AM

Thank you!

Yes, CKpool still the best.
No major features in sight for Apollo software, so you can settle with ck for the winter. That's where I am mining to as well.
heslo

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 06:31:31 AM

Yep CK is the pool I use too
gigahashes

Activity: 16

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 11:23:02 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2022, 02:29:53 PM by gigahashes

Thank you!

Kano Pool is where I would recommend for Solo or PPLNS, https://kano.is
very low fees, and fantastic mining info and help from Kano and the miners on the pool.

Make sure to join the Discord channel and get all the help and info.

Good Luck with the mining.
mxnsch

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 12:04:20 PM

~
Is it picked up by your PC or laptop? That would have been my first troubleshooting step. Grin
Figure out whether it's a problem with the hashboard / standard unit or the controller / full unit.

Thank you!
I would recommend the https://kano.is/ solo pool by kano. Not sure where solo mining sits on jstefanop's roadmap!
It's a brand new batch 1 device that I unboxed a few days ago. Setting up a dedicated rpi zero for testing will be the next step that weekend. That's way more effort to setup compared to the full node extension, that's why I didn't do it as first thing 😉

██  ███  nope ██  ███
JohnnyCucuzza

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 12:44:15 PM

Thank you for the replies. I’ll look into both pools. Happy mining!
n0nce

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2022, 03:40:17 PM
Merited by mikeywith (4)

~

Thank you!
It's a brand new batch 1 device that I unboxed a few days ago. Setting up a dedicated rpi zero for testing will be the next step that weekend. That's way more effort to setup compared to the full node extension, that's why I didn't do it as first thing
Oh don't worry, you can also test the hashboard with any other PC! Doesn't have to be a Raspberry Pi and not even a Linux PC.
It can just be your daily driver, simply to quickly verify the hashboard is fine.

Download directly from jstefanop: https://github.com/jstefanop/Apollo-Miner-Binaries

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mxnsch

View Profile
October 07, 2022, 05:08:36 PM
Merited by crypto_curious (1), n0nce (1)

~

Thank you!
It's a brand new batch 1 device that I unboxed a few days ago. Setting up a dedicated rpi zero for testing will be the next step that weekend. That's way more effort to setup compared to the full node extension, that's why I didn't do it as first thing
Oh don't worry, you can also test the hashboard with any other PC! Doesn't have to be a Raspberry Pi and not even a Linux PC.
It can just be your daily driver, simply to quickly verify the hashboard is fine.

Download directly from jstefanop: https://github.com/jstefanop/Apollo-Miner-Binaries
No worries and thank you for the reply!

I am a linux power user and know my way around the command line way better than any windows gui ;-)

██  ███  nope ██  ███
Redzed00

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 08, 2022, 02:47:43 AM

Hello

I'm fairly new to the futurebit miners but I do have a futurebit Apollo BTC full node.  I have tried to reformat and re sync the node ssd twice but it gets to a point where it says ther is a -2 space remaining on the drive and it never finishes the sync.  Any ideas on how to get it to complete?
I really appreciate the help
Thank You
Pages: « 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 »
  Print  

Jump to: