Bitcoin Forum
November 25, 2017, 11:53:49 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is doomed. Thanks IRS!!! You Ass hats!  (Read 19221 times)
J_Dubbs

Activity: 308

Crypterium - Digital Mobile Cryptobank For Everyon

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:00:43 PM

I read a few pages of this thread, and it is obvious most of you have no idea what this actually means.

To give a simple example, it's basically equivalents to require a business (walmart, amazon or mom&pop) OR an individual to file and report EVERY SINGLE bitcoin transaction - what you earned and spent, on schedule D etc.. for capital gain consideration. So if got my paycheck that is 10BTC, spend 0.05BTC on milk, 1BTC on xbox, etc.. i must file each line item detailing the cost basis (usd/btc when i obtained the 10 bitcoin paycheck) and gain/loss (usd/btc) when i spent the said 0.05BTC for milk, xbox etc..

Obviously that can never function.

It effectively in 1 fell swoop destroyed bitcoin as a unit of currency(that can be used for goods/services) in the USA, AND ensures the dollar will never be replaced or lowered in the foodchain.

I guaranteed you companies like overstock and tigerdirect are now having a facepalm moment, consulting their tax attorneys on how to report this mess on their taxes.

It is bad, it removes the main function of bitcoin - as a currency.  Now bitcoin can only be used as a store of value like precious metals, but that only work if people still perceive it has value.  

If you are nervous, you should be. How this all unfolds in the next 12 month will have a material impact on bitcoin and crypto currency as a whole.

Having bitcoin classified as property rather than currency is the best possible scenario.  The capital gains tax rate is 0% for most people.  0%... hard to beat that.

no it's not the best possible scenario, what have you been smoking exactly?

At first your tone threw me off, but yes, agree completely that Bitcoin is basically a huge pain in the ass to mine and spend. All this reporting adds costs to my CPA's billable hours too, nevermind the work I had to put in on spreadsheets. Feels like the fun got sucked right out of BTC.

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  Twitter
▀  Telegram
▀  Facebook
▀  ANN Thread
▀  Whitepaper
▀  Website

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:12:01 PM

Average Joes are not going to have to track all there btc spending.  IRS has no way of tying you to a anonymous bitcoin address.  Nor do they want to waste time on it.  Pull your head out of your ass.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:45:06 PM

Average Joes are not going to have go track all there btc spending.  IRS has no way of tying you to a anonymous bitcoin address.  Nor do they want to waste time on it.  Pull your head out of your ass.

lol...glad to see some signs of intelligence on here.
J_Dubbs

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:28:58 AM

Average Joes are not going to have to track all there btc spending.  IRS has no way of tying you to a anonymous bitcoin address.  Nor do they want to waste time on it.  Pull your head out of your ass.

This is actually my personal feeling as well, unfortunately all the paranoia spread and I'm going to make an attempt to be legit. I already regret my decision fwiw. Time and money on CPA to work on this, my own time building spreadsheets, really a crap deal.

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  Twitter
▀  Telegram
▀  Facebook
▀  ANN Thread
▀  Whitepaper
▀  Website
g4c

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 03:36:20 AM

Shhhh. Lips sealed

I prefer it if others offer themselves as sacrifices, it sates the beasts hunger and so lessens the chance of it hunting me.

CORTEX7 Multi exchange Bitcoin trading client for Win, Mac, Nix, Android.
J_Dubbs

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:12:47 AM

Shhhh. Lips sealed

I prefer it if others offer themselves as sacrifices, it sates the beasts hunger and so lessens the chance of it hunting me.

I am thinking it might be best to report at least some if not all. I mean, if you are using Coinbase I'd say it's probably a good idea to report, but maybe you have more than one wallet...

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░▄███████████▄
░░░░▄██▀▀░░░░░░░░▀██▄
░░░██▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░▀██
░░██▀░░▄██▀▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
██▀░░██▀░░▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
██▀░░██░░▄██▀▀▀█▄
██░░██░░██▀
██░░▀▀░░██
██░░▄▄░░██
██░░██░░██▄
██▄░░██░░▀██▄▄▄█▀
██▄░░██▄░░▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░██▄░░▀██▄▄▄▄▄░░▀▀
░░░██▄░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄██
░░░░▀██▄▄░░░░░░░░▄██▀
░░░░░░▀███████████▀
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀  Twitter
▀  Telegram
▀  Facebook
▀  ANN Thread
▀  Whitepaper
▀  Website
durrrr

Activity: 336

Flixxo - Watch, Share, Earn!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:18:29 AM

Average Joes are not going to have to track all there btc spending.  IRS has no way of tying you to a anonymous bitcoin address.  Nor do they want to waste time on it.  Pull your head out of your ass.

Shhhh. Lips sealed

this makes me feel better. i was worried that if i spend 50,000$ in a year they might make me pay taxes on it witch i dont think is right

X       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄██▀▀         ▀▀██▄
  ▄██▀              ▀██▄
 ▄██     ██▄▄          ██▄
▄██      █████▄▄        ██▄
██       ████████▄▄      ██
██       ███████████▄    ██
██       ██████████▀     ██
▀██      ███████▀       ██▀
 ▀██     ████▀         ██▀
  ▀██▄   █▀          ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄         ▄▄██▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
.flixxo    X▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████▀▀███████
█████▀████░░░░░░▄████
█████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████
█████▄░░░░░░░░░░██████
██████░░░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░▄████████
████▄▄░░░░▄▄██████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████████▀█▀██████████
██████▀▀▀▀▀████████
██████▄▄░░▄▄▄░░███████
████████░░███░░███████
████████░░░░░░▀███████
████████░░███▄░░██████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░░██████
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
█████████▄█▄██████████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
X[[]]X
g4c

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 03:06:42 PM

Shhhh. Lips sealed

I am thinking it might be best to report at least some if not all. I mean, if you are using Coinbase I'd say it's probably a good idea to report, but maybe you have more than one wallet...

Unfortunately I'm now tax exempt, I did have a few coins, but my dog chewed up the cold wallet paper. Embarrassed

igorr

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:36:59 PM

WOW,
15th april 2014, Game over for China !!!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/china-clamps-down-on-bitcoin/story-e6frg90f-1226871648275

Славься, Отечество наше свободное,
Братских народов союз вековой,
Предками данная мудрость народная!
Славься, страна! Мы гордимся тобой!
g4c

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 04:31:40 PM

Average Joes are not going to have to track all there btc spending.  IRS has no way of tying you to a anonymous bitcoin address.  Nor do they want to waste time on it.  Pull your head out of your ass.

Shhhh. Lips sealed

this makes me feel better. i was worried that if i spend 50,000$ in a year they might make me pay taxes on it witch i dont think is right

Don't worry, you will pay tax anyway in the form of purchase tax. hmmm tax!

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:27:18 PM

Unfortunately I'm now tax exempt, I did have a few coins, but my dog chewed up the cold wallet paper. Embarrassed

LOL @ my dog ate my bitcoins

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
curt.rowland

Activity: 77

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:31:58 PM

maybe this was mentioned earlier but what if my bitcoins were stolen? Does this IRS ruling mean the police will investigate the theft of my property?
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:44:43 PM

maybe this was mentioned earlier but what if my bitcoins were stolen? Does this IRS ruling mean the police will investigate the theft of my property?
If you were hacked across state lines, I don't see why you couldn't ask the FBI's computer crime division to get involved.
curt.rowland

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 06:46:44 PM

Furthermore, if I have this taxable property shouldn't I get it insured? Yea, like that will go over.
vqp

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:42:44 PM

This is after all an electronic "smart currency"...it seems to me that there will be electronic solutions to this problem which will make the necessary record keeping required for most Bitcoin users rather invisible.
Oh yes. The same Silicon Valley companies who were overjoyed to sell their customers' privacy down the river will be rushing to solve this problem too.

They will.  They might not care about bitcoin, but they are dead serious about being big players in cryptocurrencies and the IRS regulation applies to all cryptos.
vqp

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:51:09 PM

"My coins were stolen and the thief keeps sending me computers and appliances to my home, I don't know how to stop him"
curt.rowland

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:04:36 PM

"My coins were stolen and the thief keeps sending me computers and appliances to my home, I don't know how to stop him"

I'm pretty sure the IRS would like a list of all those computers and appliances and would think they deserve a piece of it.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 2464

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:18:02 PM

I think your right for right now. But this is a dangerous path to take. A few years from now the IRS may have resources that make it very easy to associate you with your bitcoins. They may audit you and if they discover in previous years that you have not paid gains then you will owe the principal + interest + fines. It is even possible that you are jailed for tax evasion. Such penalties could be far higher than your profits and you may end up loosing a lot money.

Anyone who wants to try tax evasion should be aware of this and understand the financial risk you are taking by hiding profits from the IRS.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Free bitcoin in ICELAND - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1610684
Erdogan

Activity: 826

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:42:40 PM

I think your right for right now. But this is a dangerous path to take. A few years from now the IRS may have resources that make it very easy to associate you with your bitcoins. They may audit you and if they discover in previous years that you have not paid gains then you will owe the principal + interest + fines. It is even possible that you are jailed for tax evasion. Such penalties could be far higher than your profits and you may end up loosing a lot money.

Anyone who wants to try tax evasion should be aware of this and understand the financial risk you are taking by hiding profits from the IRS.

You are soo helpful pointing this out. I am sure there is a nice couch in heaven reserved for you.

amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:58:35 PM

You are soo helpful pointing this out. I am sure there is a nice couch in heaven reserved for you.

Seriously, instead of sniping at people that wish to comply with IRS laws and stay out of jail, why don't you make a guide called "the tax evader's guide to using bitcoin and not getting caught" which would actually be useful for some people.   Then keep the philosophical arguments about paying/not paying taxes in the Politics & Society subforum.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.