Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:05:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Myriad comprehensive and totally serious mining guide for new commers  (Read 16933 times)
foodies123 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 11:48:44 PM
Last edit: April 28, 2014, 08:23:58 PM by foodies123

Hey y'all !! Instead of trolling other threads as I usually do I decided that today is productive day (YAYY ME!!) so today I'm going to write something actually usefull ...

Meaning ?

Youuuu guessed it ... MYR mining introduction/help for each of the 5 algorythms (for the newcomers):

First and foremost: Make sure your OS and especially your DRIVERS are up to date. I will also presume you already have a Myriad Wallet installed.

Now for the real mining guide:

Algorythm #1: SHA256D

Ah yes, the dreaded ASIC algo ... well if you're using an ASIC you don't need my help, heck I don't even know how to power one on.

Algorythm #2: Scrypt

If you're a seasoned miner you should already know this but here goes.

Step 1. Download cgminer :
Windows: http://k-dev.net/cgminer/cgminer-3.7.2-kalroth-20140309.zip
Linux(Git): https://github.com/Kalroth/cgminer-3.7.2-kalroth

Step 2. Installing cgminer:
Windows: Unzip the files.
Linux: If you're reading this you shouldn't be using linux but if you're gonna be a stubborn child and still decide to use it just use git clone to download the software change directory to the newly created folder and read follow the instructions in the link I posted for linux.

* you will need to download adl_sdk from the amd website (yes this tutorial only covers AMD cards because ... never mined on nvidia gpus) and place them in the ADL_SDK folder (make sure you put the contents of the archive in there and not the archive)
* libncurses5-dev no one has said it but you need it or else you will have NO MENU, your cgminer output will look like crap

Step 3. The mining part:

Visit the myriad thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=483515.0) and chose from the vast variety of scrypt pools (lel), once you've chosen, register, create workers, add your MYR receiving address and set auto-payment threshold annnd you're done with the pool settings.
Now all you need to do is run your cgminer using --scrypt, -o pool_stratum_url:port (if the pool has a getting started section you'll find those there), -u username.workername, -p workerpassword(not user password)

For aditional settings and tweaking please visit: https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

Step 4. Huh??

Step 5. Profit.

Easy as that.
There now you're all set, I can't believe I actually wrote this part, I'm so going to get trolled over it.

Now comes the interesting part.

Algorythm #3: Skein

Ah yes, skein 300x more hash power at the cost of -(yes that's right people that is a MINUS)20% heat and power consumption ... yay skein (it's my fav because I run 280x miners mostly)

Step 1. Download modified cgminer that runs skein (I use reorder's as recommended in the OP):

Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhbp9r6m8zzqnke/cgminer_skein.zip
Linux(Git): https://github.com/reorder/cgminer_skein

Step 2. Installing the said cgminer:

Windows: Unzip, enter directory and that's about it. (Windows miners got it easy, we should make a windows mining resistant coin)
Linux: Same as above(scrypt), don't forget about ncurses and adl_sdk (yes it's that easy)

Step 3. The mining part:

Again I invite you to visit the OP (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=483515.0) and chose from our wide selection of skein pools ... (sadly again lel) and do exactly as you would do in scrypt.
Now comes the different part, don't worry it's not hard or tricky just different, different is good ... embrace it.
Obviously skein is run with --skein as a parameter, the only thing different than that is the tweaking. Skein is actually quite easy to tweak as opposed to scrypt because you actually only have to find the --gpu-engine upper limit that you're comfortable with in terms of heat/power/gpu endurange while setting the --gpu-memclock to a low value as it has no importance at all. For example I use 1150 for my 280xs and 1200 for my 7970s if I go above that they tend to become unstable but this differs from brand to brand.
Here is a copy of my cgminer sh (equivalent for windows bat):
Code:
root@rig1-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~# cat cgminer_skein/run.sh
#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=200
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1

./cgminer --skein -o stratum+tcp://myrskeu.nut2pools.com:6040 -u user.worker -p x -I 13 -g 2 -w 64 --gpu-engine 1150 --gpu-memclock 1100 --thread-concurrency 8192

These settings for example will output a stable and cool ~220 MH/s ... I mean damn I haven't visited my rigs ever since myr was launched that's how good this algo is to me. Nice cool cards mining at good profitability ... stable ... every miner's dream come true.

Onwards and upwards ...

Algorythm #4 Groestl

My secondest favorite algo because this one hashes at about -40% power and heat produced by scrypt mining, offering about 13x scrypt speed on new gpus and the same or even better on old gpu models. Oh and did I mention a gpu will only mine 3x faster than a cpu, considering cost and electricity ratio on cpu/gpu that's pretty damn good if you ask me. All this algo needs now is some bacon ... mmmmm bacon.
Well about now my brain is saying ... copy the skein instructions and change from skein to groestl ... do it fa**ot (f**k you brain).
Won't do it because copy pasting stuff and changing its name is BAD *yeah I took a stab at copy-paste scrypt coins ... sue me.

Now since this is a cpu and gpu algo you could presume that this guide will also contain a cpu guide. Boy you've never been more wrong, I've never cpu-mined and writing about it would only be copy-paste untested stuff that I cannot help you with later on in the thread.
So I'm just gonna stick to GPU mining for now but I promise as soon as I finish this guide I'm installing the cpu miner on my computer and giving it a go  so I can write about it later or wait for when/if someone who cpu mines offers his hard earned knowledge to enlighten us gpu plebs.

Step 1. Download sph-miner(alias sgminer a modified cgminer containing a myriad of algorythms) :                                        Yeah I made a myriad joke ... again, sue me.

Windows: https://mega.co.nz/#!6ExQEIZR!skZC-GTW2ESXdue4R7DwF0CfbkzhoFq3qhLRkfbX_WI
Linux(Git): https://github.com/prettyhatemachine/sph-sgminer

*now these are the update versions since the software developer is very active and keeps adding algorythms to the miner. I've actually used a previous version of the miner and it worked very nice.

Step 2. Installing sgminer:

This step is actually identical for all algorythms, only the name changes, just download and extract for Win and clone, configure , make for linux (again don't forget about adl_sdk and ncurses).

Step 3. The mining part:

For the second-to-last time I extend a friendly invitation to visit the Myriad thread at this address: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=483515.0 where you will find a collection of pools worthy of encyclopedia britannica (or rather dramatica) for the groestl algo.
The actual reason that there are not so many pools for groestl skein and qubit is because these algos are fairly new and only a handfull of people were able to include them in their stratum mining software, this has nothing to do with the fact that Myriad is still widely unpopular (to be read as VERY PROFITABLE)

After you've chosen from our wide selection of well refined pools and set up your account all you need to do is start your --gpu-engines ... I actually think I'm funny ... it's sad.

Like skein this algorythm will only make use of your gpu's engine so again, gpu-engine goes up, gpu-memclock comes down.
Unlike skein this one is started with -k myriadcoin-groestl instead of --skein (or --scrypt on scrypt).

Again I will include a copy of my sgminer sh file:

Code:
root@rig1-To-be-filled-by-O-E-M:~# cat sph-sgminer/run.sh
#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=200
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1

./sgminer -k myriadcoin-groestl -o stratum+tcp://myr-groestl.poolerino.com:3349 -u user.worker -p password -I 19 -g 2 -w 64 --gpu-engine 1200 --gpu-memclock 1000 --thread-concurrency 8192 --no-submit-stale

As you can see I use 1200 on all my cards(280x and 7970) here because since it runs so cool and powersaving pushing the gpu harder is ok ... I think, don't sue me if you push too hard and RMA your gpu.
This outputs about ~10MH/s stable.

And that's about it, goodbye.

Oh ... right, qubit ... damn.

Algorythm #5 Qubit

I'm not gonna blow smoke up your behinds I've only mined this algo for testing the miner and pools so I pretty much don't know anything about it well, not anything of real value at least.
So the steps are actually almost identical to Groestl because you're going to use the same miner.
So in short: download the sph miner from the links I posted on Groestl, install, set up pool workers and start mining.
Only thing different (that I know of aside from the obvious performance difference that I DO NOT KNOW OF) is that for this one you should start your miner with with -k qubitcoin

Again I apologize but I have no insight into qubit mining thus cannot offer you any usable advice, if someone would be so nice as to share their qubit mining experiences with us (both cpu and gpu) they are more than welcome to do so. If such a person fails to appear within the next few days, I will start to mine qubit on one of my miners and get relevant information to add to this thread.

And, that's about it folks. Sorry about the bad jokes and puns and awkward writing style, I know it's not the most orthodox mining guides but it's a start.
Suffering from short term memory loss(I get distracted very easily), I forgot something very important I wanted to add to the end of the guide, something related to common settings/tweaks for all algos but hopefully it will come back to me soon and I'll be able to add it.

I know it's long but you don't have to read all of it, just read the part about the algo you're interested in (except qubit, that part sucks ... and sha, that one's too long and boring and tech saavy).

I will proofread the guide after it is posted because that's just they screwed up way I do things so if you find any spelling or grammar mistakes please wait a wail before going all grammar nazi on me.

nope

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shinep

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:24:53 AM

Well written. Thanks for the guide.
chosetime

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:09:18 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 01:57:08 PM by chosetime

Great guide thank you.
Using Sapphire R9 270X I'm managing a steady 147 Mh/s with gpu temp at 64C and still able to browse and play web based card games without any lag.

cgminer --skein -o stratum+tcp://*pool:port* -u ** -p ** --no-submit-stale -I 10 -g 2 -w 64 --gpu-engine 1100 --gpu-memclock 1000 --thread-concurrency 8192
iamphoenix

Activity: 244

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:31:07 AM

very nice thank you

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. T6ZzzGAkxmSQDmeNUZPBf3pbD2ogiC2DDf

Myriadplatform.org
iamphoenix

Activity: 244

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:32:06 AM

wheres your donate address

Get Daily Free SIGNs before too late. T6ZzzGAkxmSQDmeNUZPBf3pbD2ogiC2DDf

Myriadplatform.org
fernando

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:17:56 AM

Does anyone know if there is a yield advantage in any of the algorithms when cpu mining? (I know OP said he hasn't cpu mined, but maybe someone else)
smilecoin23

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:20:25 AM

Very useful information, thank you, thanks for your hard work.
neuroMode

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:52:57 PM

Bump! Foodies is working his ass off for Myriad. This guy is legit.

Myriadcoin - the first multi-PoW blockchain! (Mine with SHA256 [ASICs], Scrypt [GPU/ASICs], Skein [GPUs], Groestl [GPUs], OR Qubit [CPUs/GPUs]).
Myriad Website // Myriad on Reddit || Myriad Android Wallet || Myriad Electrum Wallet || Multi-vPoW and Block "Tips" - Solution to Parasitic Merged Mining
mfqrs3

Activity: 419

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 09:01:10 PM

Thanks for this guide !
unent

Activity: 326

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 10:39:21 PM

Thanks for putting all this information in one place for us.
N[e]wBie

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:29:22 AM

any thoughts on the relatively low profitability of mining myriad? How can it succeed with low profits? Thanks for the guide!

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
which2say

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:51:02 AM

Thanks to provide this information, I think it is helpful for me.
johny69

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 09:55:55 AM

It spreaded to all of my computers the only safe computer was linux. It was hard to change my passwords the hacker gained access to all of my email accounts.
softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 11:41:25 AM

Very helpful guide +1, bookmarked

btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:59:13 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2014, 06:29:32 PM by btc-mike

Does anyone know if there is a yield advantage in any of the algorithms when cpu mining? (I know OP said he hasn't cpu mined, but maybe someone else)

I have same question. I am going ask in main thread.

foodies123-

scrypt miners should probably be using veox's sgminer. it is based on cgminer 3.7.2.
git - https://github.com/veox/sgminer/releases
win binaries - http://sgminerwindows.com/

qubit & groestl can both use phm's sph-sgminer
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=475795.0
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:06:16 PM

Nice.

Even nicer if this thread is maintained!
neuroMode

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:04:15 AM

Bump!

Myriadcoin - the first multi-PoW blockchain! (Mine with SHA256 [ASICs], Scrypt [GPU/ASICs], Skein [GPUs], Groestl [GPUs], OR Qubit [CPUs/GPUs]).
Myriad Website // Myriad on Reddit || Myriad Android Wallet || Myriad Electrum Wallet || Multi-vPoW and Block "Tips" - Solution to Parasitic Merged Mining
smokefirexx

Activity: 21

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:27:50 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 11:58:54 PM by smokefirexx

great guide, thanks Cheesy!

Edit: actually tried to use skein but no avail. The batch file closes as soon as it opens, says that there aren't any available commands. Sad
Any thoughts?
foodies123 (OP)

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:31:08 PM

My health seems to be coming back so expect this thread to be maintained/updated regularly

nope
iopq

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:17:08 AM

I have an R9 290 and I can't get more than 227 Mh/s with Skein without overclocking (high electricity costs here, I don't even run scrypt because it takes too many watts)
not really sure if it's even possible to get more without overclocking

note: thread concurrency doesn't do anything with skein, it uses the same .bin file no matter what TC you specify because skein doesn't use a thread concurrency
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: