Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:09:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: best replies should appear first in a thread.  (Read 942 times)
Initscri

Activity: 1540
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2023, 01:11:02 AM

I would like to share my idea on this matter.
The forum needs to add a like feature we have on many social media platforms or upvote type feature, but not everyone can upvote/like the replies to come on top of the thread,
some trusted users of the forums are allowed to like/upvote the replies after reading them and deciding that is it a valuable reply or not.
That makes zero sense and if we continue like this way, I am afraid being a reputable member will become a burden on this forum rather than a privilege. Also, this forum is not a twitter or facebook and we shouldn't turn it into that one.

Like we have DT1 and DT2 lists, they can choose which reply is more relevant and valuable in the list.
Why should they do that? Why should it become their duty?

Just leave things the way they are regarding to post sorting. You guys are asking for a headache for no real reason. First of all, it's not duty for DT members to read posts instead of you, don't be so lazy, reading will also help you to advance your English. Then, every opinion matters. You better report spammy posts, so, moderators can remove them. If we empty threads from spammy posts by reporting them, then we will be left with threads where every comment is on-topic and nice to read.

Agreed, I don't think DT1/DT2 should have anything to do with judging post quality - it's purpose was for trust, it should remain in that category alone.

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
----------------------------------
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TakeItEasy

Activity: 1622
Merit: 270

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
October 11, 2023, 06:40:00 PM

I have this habit of reading through many replies to a thread before I will respond. At the course of reading through few pages of a thread before replying, I discovered that;
  • The earliest replies get more attention and earn more merit
  • Some of the replies from pages 3 upwards are repetition of what others said in pages 1 and 2.
  • I also understood that some of the quality contributors sometimes arrive late and their replies get buried easily
I therefore propose that, if possible, the arrangement of replies to a thread should be based on the number of merits that reply earned in that very thread. This will tend to sort the quality replies to appear in the first page no matter what time it was made. Even if the reply appeared on page 7, just 1 merit to that reply will send it to page 1. This will also help researchers to meet the most relevant posts in the first page, without having to search through tones o replies.
This sounds good to me but it may not go well with some other persons, I decided to drop the suggestion here. Although, I don't know much about the SMF version of the forum, but with the way people complain about it, it seems it doesn't allow some certain things to be incorporated to the forum.

It's not obvious always that the earliest replies will get merit, it depends upon the reply that is the reply according to the post or it is just spam. Mostly those replies get merit which is according to the post or someone helps each other in a way the help is needed.
Some people look at others' replies to what they said in the bitcoinTalk to that post, so sometimes there are some talks in their minds, which suddenly come to a person's mind and thus he replies to the post.
And if someone likes a person's reply and gives it merit while it is not according to the post, and another person doesn't like the reply, How could that message be kept on the front page?
Also, you will see the merit posts on the first pages and you will find other users' posts and search for them going to other pages, I don't think it's a good idea.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
icalical

Activity: 1372
Merit: 268

Graphic & Motion Designer

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2023, 02:06:59 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2023, 01:14:01 PM by icalical
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I have this habit of reading through many replies to a thread before I will respond. At the course of reading through few pages of a thread before replying, I discovered that;
  • Some of the replies from pages 3 upwards are repetition of what others said in pages 1 and 2.
  • I also understood that some of the quality contributors sometimes arrive late and their replies get buried easily
I therefore propose that, if possible, the arrangement of replies to a thread should be based on the number of merits that reply earned in that very thread. This will tend to sort the quality replies to appear in the first page no matter what time it was made. Even if the reply appeared on page 7, just 1 merit to that reply will send it to page 1. This will also help researchers to meet the most relevant posts in the first page, without having to search through tones o replies.
This sounds good to me but it may not go well with some other persons, I decided to drop the suggestion here. Although, I don't know much about the SMF version of the forum, but with the way people complain about it, it seems it doesn't allow some certain things to be incorporated to the forum.

I think the system will be similar to the upvote on reddit, but I don't think that kind of system is suitable in all thread/OP or in all section, especially on the thread or section when the focus is just to discuss, rather than finding a solution, in the thread where the focus in discussion like this OP, I prefer a chronological order like the current system, so I wouldn't miss the context for all argument/statement that quote other replies.

However, that system might be suitable on a certain forum section like Beginner and Help where the most of the thread were made to find a solution for a certain problems, so I guess an extra option won't hurt, but it shouldn't be the default option.

Odohu

Activity: 364
Merit: 338

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2023, 11:11:10 AM

I think the system will be similar to the upvote on reddit, but I don't think that kind of system is suitable in all thread/OP or in all section, especially on the thread or section when the focus is just to discuss, rather than finding a solution, in the thread where the focus in discussion like this OP, I prefer a chronological order like the current system, so I wouldn't miss the context for all argument/statement that quote other replies.

However, that system might be suitable on a certain forum section like Beginner and Help where the most of the thread were made to find a solution for a certain problems, so I guess an extra option won't hurt, but it shouldn't be the default option.
You are right because adopting the like and upvote patter will kill the order flow if comments with most likes/upvotes are made to appear at the top. It will also make it extremely difficult for those who read every comment in a thread as they will not know the chronological order of the flow of the conversation. If you ask me, I thing the forum is fine the way it is arranged... if you stopped in a particular page, when you return you can just continue from that page and read down. In this case, you will not miss any single comment.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
cafter

Activity: 448
Merit: 222

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2023, 11:26:34 AM

I think it’s a great idea to include a sorting feature, for example, sorting by most merits, sorting by latest posts, sorting by rank, etc. with your default sorting set as your default chronological order.
This way, you don’t have to mess with your existing order of posts. You can use it however you want.
If you prefer your posts to be in their default chronological order, that’s fine too.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: