Bitcoin Forum
August 15, 2024, 04:17:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap & silent mini PC for Bitcoin node & blockchain explorer?  (Read 1151 times)
RickDeckard
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 3100

View Profile
August 04, 2024, 12:45:23 PM
Merited by DaveF (2)

The price is attractive, but it's a shame company who make those mini PC rarely offer 2TB option which better for running full node in long term. You either have to buy bare-bone version (where you also buy and put RAM/SSD by yourself) or buy ready-to-use ones which have extra SSD slot.
2TB isn't very often found in these systems (that I'm aware) because most people that use them don't need that much space considering the market they are aiming for. However, as it was suggested before, just buying this machine, selling the 1TB SSD (which wouldn't be hard I believe) and then buying a 2TB one would make things a little bit even on the cost side.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 6490

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2024, 01:12:42 PM

The price is attractive, but it's a shame company who make those mini PC rarely offer 2TB option which better for running full node in long term. You either have to buy bare-bone version (where you also buy and put RAM/SSD by yourself) or buy ready-to-use ones which have extra SSD slot.

At this point it's probably better to get the 1TB version and in a year clone it to a 2TB or 4TB drive and go from there.

External nvme m.2 cases are cheap enough (once again looking at the US pricing) and larger drives just keep dropping in price. So start with the 1TB, and then when it gets full get a larger one + external. Clone the 1TB to the larger one using the external case and then you have more space on your node and a handy 1TB external drive.

Some of the mini units do have a SATA + m.2 but not all and with the ever changing specs of these cheaper units it's tough to be sure till you get it and open it up.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4410
Merit: 3305

View Profile
August 11, 2024, 01:57:20 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2024, 02:14:26 AM by odolvlobo

I just bought a GMKtec NucBox G5, with N97 CPU, 12 GB RAM, 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD, and Win 11 Pro for $160. I plan to replace the SSD with 2TB and install Linux. It is very small -- about 7.25 cm x 7.25 cm x 4.5 cm.

There is also NucBox G3 for $150 with N100, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB M.2 SSD and Win 11 Pro for $150 (or bare bones for $120). The advantage of this one over the G5 is that it has an additional NVME SSD slot.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
dkbit98
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 7373

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2024, 04:08:19 PM

I just bought a GMKtec NucBox G5, with N97 CPU, 12 GB RAM, 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD, and Win 11 Pro for $160. I plan to replace the SSD with 2TB and install Linux. It is very small -- about 7.25 cm x 7.25 cm x 4.5 cm.
Not bad for that price, and I found some sales online even cheaper for similar configuration.
I don't know if you heard about recent unfixable bugs found both in Intel and AMD processors, so better check if your processors are affected by this.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 7780

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
Today at 10:15:17 AM

To those who own mini PC (especially cheap ones or from unpopular brand), have you ever check details of RAM and SSD included by the brand? Some time ago, i briefly helped my friend who have lag problem on his mini PC. Aside from removing some bloatware, i also find out his mini PC use very obscure SSD brand. That SSD seems to use QLC which become very slow on high write activity and also slow down whole system.

--snip--
I don't know if you heard about recent unfixable bugs found both in Intel and AMD processors, so better check if your processors are affected by this.

Which unfixable bugs you're talking about? I did quick search and only found about "Sinkclose" which affect AMD CPU and crashing on recent Intel CPU.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 17188

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
Today at 10:26:53 AM
Merited by RickDeckard (1)

To those who own mini PC (especially cheap ones or from unpopular brand)
I've seen some very good offers (considering the price and specs) for mini-PCs from Wish or similar sites, but I'd never dare use them because I don't trust the hardware. What if it somehow shares my data by "calling home"? It's not worth the risk.

RickDeckard
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 3100

View Profile
Today at 01:33:47 PM

To those who own mini PC (especially cheap ones or from unpopular brand)
I've seen some very good offers (considering the price and specs) for mini-PCs from Wish or similar sites, but I'd never dare use them because I don't trust the hardware. What if it somehow shares my data by "calling home"? It's not worth the risk.
I'm also very apprehensive of buying hardware of that nature from places like AliExpress, Gearbest and other alike. The price is most often than not very enticing but I can't for sure say that they are not compromised (no free lunches after all). Quite recently I have been fancying the idea of just gather up some parts and build it myself just for the joy of it, but at the moment I don't really have the time for it, so it's just a project that is currently sitting in the shelf...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 6490

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
Today at 02:10:04 PM

To those who own mini PC (especially cheap ones or from unpopular brand), have you ever check details of RAM and SSD included by the brand? Some time ago, i briefly helped my friend who have lag problem on his mini PC. Aside from removing some bloatware, i also find out his mini PC use very obscure SSD brand. That SSD seems to use QLC which become very slow on high write activity and also slow down whole system.

--snip--

Which unfixable bugs you're talking about? I did quick search and only found about "Sinkclose" which affect AMD CPU and crashing on recent Intel CPU.

More or less this: https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/July-2024-Update-on-Instability-Reports-on-Intel-Core-13th-and/m-p/1617113

Does not really matter to these low speed / power machines as they are based on a different architecture AND as from what seems to be discussed is that it only hits the 65 Watt + CPUs.
There are a ton of youtube videos about this.

I have several of these PCs from Beelink and others. Some have drives from what I would call low price tier 2 makers and others have generic no name ones. All are QLC except for one.
RAM has been the same. Never a Crucial or Corsair but still a name I have heard of (i.e. TEAMGROUP)

But, when you are getting a complete mini PC for under $200 (usually under $175) what do you really expect.

I'm also very apprehensive of buying hardware of that nature from places like AliExpress, Gearbest and other alike. The price is most often than not very enticing but I can't for sure say that they are not compromised (no free lunches after all). Quite recently I have been fancying the idea of just gather up some parts and build it myself just for the joy of it, but at the moment I don't really have the time for it, so it's just a project that is currently sitting in the shelf...

Where are you based? You can get them cheap at Amazon and wipe the drive and re-install.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀