Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:42:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fruitwallet (ios wallet) discussion  (Read 4887 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 06:19:20 PM

@jbrnt, @gweedo need you help guys.
As I told we are working on secure wallet.

We have some variants how to make secure EASY-to-use mobile wallet:
1. User generates key on the client side, Key saved in device LocalStorage encrypted with 4 digit PIN. User is offered to click backup to save the key encrypted with PIN on our server.
2. User do all stated above, but he is offered to encrypt backup key one more time with additional PASSPHRASE.

If key is backup-ed:
First variant means that we can theoretically steal money, but hackers can't.
Second means that even we will hardly decrypt the key. But he will probably LOSE his key (clearing the cache) and forget PASSPHRASE.

What do you think is the best variant to do it?

Don't encrypt with just a 4 digit PIN unless you going to have a huge salt that goes with it that is very random.

I don't know what you are exactly asking? The user generated key should never leave the device, in an unencrypted form, and should be stored on the phone in an encrypted form. That requires the user to unlock.

You shouldn't need to access to the key, the javascript should be able to sign the transaction and you broadcast it for them. Unless you are doing multi-sig then you have them sign the transaction and then you sign the transaction with your own key.

We can technically do all the stuff.
I mean if we store only on device, what if user lose device? or clear cookies. He will not have any way to restore it from our server. right?
So we think probably we can store key encrypted on our server as a backup.

The questions are: Do we need a backup? Crypt one time? Or crypt 2 times?

I would do a secure backup making it impossible for you to read but just hold. I would also have a way so the user can back it up without your service. So like a random string that being hashed can be regenerate their keys. Like BIP 32 https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0032.mediawiki
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fruitwallet (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 06:24:54 PM

@jbrnt, @gweedo need you help guys.
As I told we are working on secure wallet.

We have some variants how to make secure EASY-to-use mobile wallet:
1. User generates key on the client side, Key saved in device LocalStorage encrypted with 4 digit PIN. User is offered to click backup to save the key encrypted with PIN on our server.
2. User do all stated above, but he is offered to encrypt backup key one more time with additional PASSPHRASE.

If key is backup-ed:
First variant means that we can theoretically steal money, but hackers can't.
Second means that even we will hardly decrypt the key. But he will probably LOSE his key (clearing the cache) and forget PASSPHRASE.

What do you think is the best variant to do it?

Don't encrypt with just a 4 digit PIN unless you going to have a huge salt that goes with it that is very random.

I don't know what you are exactly asking? The user generated key should never leave the device, in an unencrypted form, and should be stored on the phone in an encrypted form. That requires the user to unlock.

You shouldn't need to access to the key, the javascript should be able to sign the transaction and you broadcast it for them. Unless you are doing multi-sig then you have them sign the transaction and then you sign the transaction with your own key.

We can technically do all the stuff.
I mean if we store only on device, what if user lose device? or clear cookies. He will not have any way to restore it from our server. right?
So we think probably we can store key encrypted on our server as a backup.

The questions are: Do we need a backup? Crypt one time? Or crypt 2 times?

I would do a secure backup making it impossible for you to read but just hold. I would also have a way so the user can back it up without your service. So like a random string that being hashed can be regenerate their keys. Like BIP 32 https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0032.mediawiki

That will be done in main web Wallet with storage, I'm telling about a wallet, which can be set up without a PC in just few seconds.
User can't copy long numbers from phone screen and so on. But we will do BIP 32 or HD wallet as a main wallet. Mobile wallet will be for spendable needs and must be a bit more easy to use.
Makes sense?

So I think your advice is encrypting on the phone local storage + having the way to encrypt it more, like one more encryption level, and backup on the server (when we don't know the pass-phrase to decrypt).
Correct?
fruitwallet (OP)

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 09:33:32 PM

cool, thanks for help!
coinnewbit

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:02:50 PM

cool, thanks for help!
more and more of my friends are getting interested in the idea of bitcoin. However, they do not have an android phone, so can fruitwallet also add a "what's bitcoin " introduction?
fruitwallet (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 12:01:51 PM

cool, thanks for help!
more and more of my friends are getting interested in the idea of bitcoin. However, they do not have an android phone, so can fruitwallet also add a "what's bitcoin " introduction?

Sure, we think education is an important part of any Crypto currency business.
We are improving landing page and will include educational part into it!
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 07:08:17 AM

Didn't get a chance to say it before, but this looks really good! Please keep going!

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: