Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:11:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Stagflation  (Read 1716 times)
caston (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 05:23:49 PM

I've been watching the price since Wednesday and its barely moved. Could we be about to go through a uber-boring period where there a more coins being mined so inflation is increasing but the actual price remains solid?

I guess we may find out by the time this weekend is up.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 06:10:37 PM

That isn't stagflation.

Also inflation of monetary supply is never increasing in Bitcoin, not once, not ever.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 06:24:40 PM

I've been watching the price since Wednesday and its barely moved. Could we be about to go through a uber-boring period where there a more coins being mined so inflation is increasing but the actual price remains solid?

I don't think it's right to say that inflation is increasing but prices remain the same.  Inflation is when prices don't remain the same - they go up.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
JohnOliver

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 09:49:52 PM

I don't think it's right to say that inflation is increasing but prices remain the same.  Inflation is when prices don't remain the same - they go up.

If the price remain the same then it's inflating at the same rate as USD. It's not a pretty rate, if you ask me.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 09:53:17 PM

There's never more coins being mined... small variances, but it always corrects itself to 7200 coins/day, and averages out to about that amount even including the variances.
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 01:58:19 AM

Oooo, since wednesday? That's nothing in the big scheme of things. Might as well say "I've been watching the price since 10 minutes ago, and it has only changed 2 cents, we must have reached a stable exchange rate!"

What do you mean by "there are more coins being mined"? We are still having the exact amount of coins mined now as any other time - the system is set up so the number of coins mined stays the same.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 02:29:29 AM

In fact since the total supply is greater, the dilution effect those new coins have on the overall market grows smaller every day. Therefore, by design as time continues, the effect of newly minted coins on the bitcoin economy becomes less significant. This coupled with the stability in price over the past month makes me think we have reached bitcoin fundamentals. Only time will tell but I dont think we should deviate too far in the near term from current values and that is a good thing for bitcoin.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 03:04:04 AM

What we're probably seeing is the temporary exit of speculators.  I have no doubt they'll be back, but at this stage there is no one willing to throw thousands of bitcoins around to feed their speculative needs.  A boring and static price tends to drive the arbitrage and speculative traders away, which makes the price stagnate even more.  It's a feedback loop.

It's similar to a game of poker.  When the fish have gone broke and only the experienced players are left at the table, it's time to take the chips and go home.  Any further play will just hurt the experienced player.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 03:42:33 AM

In some 40-min intervals today, only 15 BTC was traded.  AFAIK that's a very low minimum!

24h volume just under 10k BTC, which is a small fraction of the normal volume (30-50k).

In other news, 30-day EMA is above $3.

(BFL)^2 < 0
JohnOliver

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 03:44:46 AM

In some 40-min intervals today, only 15 BTC was traded.  AFAIK that's a very low minimum!

24h volume just under 10k BTC, which is a small fraction of the normal volume (30-50k).

Looks like the holiday low volume theory could be right after all.
caston (OP)

Activity: 756

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 04:06:22 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2011, 04:28:20 AM by caston

People with a short or long position go nuts when there is no volume. Sometimes if its moving in one direction then it stagnates for a long time it moves in the opposite direction once it does start to move again though. To me it seems like it is *slowly* going up. Sometimes slowly up going accelerates and turns into a rally.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: