Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:42:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To good to be true?  (Read 568 times)
foxtrot9000 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 12:56:02 AM

Hello everyone, first of all I'm a short-time lurker, first time poster.

A friend of mine pointed me towards Crypto a little over a month ago, and iv been hooked ever since. but i have a question that i cannot find a clear answer too.

Is mining really as profitable as the numbers say it is?

I'm no genius by a long shot, but i know how to use a calculator, and my calculations say that spending $2500 (CAD) on 10 Grid-Seed miners will undoubtedly pay for itself in 2 months maximum.
So to be a little more clear, am I missing something important here, or is this just such a new industry that this is all still under the radar?

Better yet tell me the reason why i shouldn't spend my savings on a whack of machines. (but really do tell me why before i do it)

Anyway, thanks for your time, i love reading what everyone here has to say. The different personalities here make for an interesting forum.
wasamata

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:04:31 AM

What calculator is that? Coinwars shows up to $9 per day running 2500 khs- thats 9 months.
By that time your machine will have a very large amount of ASIC competitors  (eg KNC miner) and the value of your gridseed will have plumitted
as a result.
foxtrot9000 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:29:02 AM

I apologize for not Being clear.

I was more interested in using them to mine other scrypt based coins, like RDD or something.
More to the original point, With a little Technical skill + some savvy investing you should be able to make a tidy bit of money with these rigs.

or am I really underestimating how the "Titan" will change the Crypto landscape over the next year?
cryptowho

Activity: 182

Ask me about Karmacoin

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:51:42 AM

A friend of mine pointed me towards Crypto a little over a month ago, and iv been hooked ever since. but i have a question that i cannot find a clear answer too.

I'm no genius by a long shot, but i know how to use a calculator, and my calculations say that spending $2500 (CAD) on 10 Grid-Seed miners will undoubtedly pay for itself in 2 months maximum.
So to be a little more clear, am I missing something important here, or is this just such a new industry that this is all still under the radar?

Better yet tell me the reason why i shouldn't spend my savings on a whack of machines. (but really do tell me why before i do it)

Anyway, thanks for your time, i love reading what everyone here has to say. The different personalities here make for an interesting forum.

Hey there, welcome. You are doing a good thing to post question. There is a section dedicated to mining but i will answer your question. My answer will assume you did your mining calculations with litecoin or possible dogecoin in mind. alright here we go:

Few things you'll need to know. You need to understand you have missed the opportunity train to mine litecoin and possibly dogecoin at a huge profit. This should means to you that right now, if you buy the gridseed you will mine for fun. not profit. You should consider it as a fun project.  You will mine to collect ROI on your Gridseed equipment and might bet lucky to pay for it in few months.

Few things that are happening at this moment that you might not possible understand being that you are new at on this whole mining part.  Gridseed is an ASIC that will mine only SCRYPT algorithm coins and only those. This means that you will be limited to only these type of coins. Litecoin and dogecoins are SCRYPT. At the same time, within few months more powerful ASIC equipments are coming. A 10 units  gridseed asic will mine at 3-4 Megahash/sec. These new asics will mine at 125-250 Mh/s .Of course these bigger ASIC are more expensive.

What all this should mean to you if you want to mine professionally ,aka mine as much as possible to be rich? Well the cryptocurrencies blew up in these past few months and has gotten a lot of attention. A lot of people are seriously mining these SCRYPT coins and a 10 Gridseed mining units will be very small compared to the rest. Aka the gridseed is a joke compared to what is going on what kind of units are mining litecoin and dogecoin.

Could you make bank if you purchase the gridseed unit now?  Yes, on small miners market.other coins that hace very low minign volume but have BTC trading volume. These are the coins that are barely surviving, new coins that show no near future or the lates thrills ---scam coins. It will be hard and a hustle but you can make more eventually if you learn how to play the game fast. The small mining coins hace a high chance to fail in near future so the big boys with a huge mining farm will not risk mining them. In those coins realm, you will have a mining unit that is average now. You're gridseed units will have less people having more power then you and you might make more coins. The trick is that you could mine a new scrypt coin at lunch and hope you are one of the few early adapters. You see at lunch a coin has a low difficulty and some one with a small hash power has a good chance to mine a lot of coin. to put in a perspective: if you had gridseed and mined dogecoin at lunch(aka very beginning when it started) you would have mine over 30 million of coin in 1 day. Now if you try to mine the same coin with the same mining unit you will barely get a few thousands a day. So you could try this trick but this one is also wearied out as a lot of people are doing it as well. If you don't understand what i mean here let me know and i can give more details

Also what to keep in mind. The introduction to these new and more powerful ASIC units might create a harder time for small time miners to mine scrypt coins. Creating a problematic desire to mine coins because of the huge ASIC miners mining vs yours. This means that the small time mining market might move to a different approach to mine different coins. Right now we have N-Scrypt and X11 algorithm coins that are trying to win over the small time miners. If they succeed then it will be harder for you to mine SCRYPT coins.

Therefore the ultimate answer. If you can afford to eventually not gain the money back then do it. And if you hustle a lot, and i mean a lot. you could possible make BTCs.

Okay i am getting distracted now. let me know if i lost you

looking for C++ coders , web-dev and coin-devs to join karmacoin team. We are trying to expand. we have so many goals. Challenge accepted?  PM me.
cryptowho

Activity: 182

Ask me about Karmacoin

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:55:49 AM

I apologize for not Being clear.

I was more interested in using them to mine other scrypt based coins, like RDD or something.
More to the original point, With a little Technical skill + some savvy investing you should be able to make a tidy bit of money with these rigs.

or am I really underestimating how the "Titan" will change the Crypto landscape over the next year?

oh man. just saw this. If your focus is RDD coin. So i ask you. Is you focus solely on Reddcoin? Are you swearing your aligience to it and only it?

looking for C++ coders , web-dev and coin-devs to join karmacoin team. We are trying to expand. we have so many goals. Challenge accepted?  PM me.
gustav

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:20:08 AM

if you mine something now that will become big later and also don't sell those coins until they matured it could be true. Maybe just mine coins that are going to be around for longer and are likely to appreciate in value. rdd is a good choice for that i think.
wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:22:41 AM

the fastest multipool which mines all the most profitable coins is currently doing 0.0048 btc per mhs/day
In your case it would be 2.5 * 0.0048 per day=0.012btc per day (0.012 btc * bitcoinprice ($500) = $6 a day.
$2500/$6=416 days (even worse than coin wars predicts.)

Keep in mind this fluctuates but has been on a steep downtrend for weeks if not a few months.

The problem with your ASIC vs GPU is the obsolescence and depreciation. Whereby, the GPU holds better with resale than the ASIC.
You will however save on some power (albeit at the cost of making a loss). There is no guarantees any coins will go up either,
especially non asic resistant ones like RDD.
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 02:27:51 AM

Personally (from not-so-professional research and experience) The only "big" money small time and hobbyist miners will get is from speculative mining. Basically mining a coin when diff is low and selling at super high prices. But yeah, money is to be had. $1500 get you 3 antminers s1's, and that pulls in $30 a day after electricity, currently. I'd stick to scrypt as bitcoin is for big league tho.

foxtrot9000 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:33:01 AM

Thank you cryptowho for the very detailed response.

To answer your last question. Yes, yes i am mining reddcoins right now, and yes i did buy 140$ worth. (bonus round, i built a gaming computer a year ago and just so happened to pick a great mining GPU by coincidence)
But a better answer would be that I'm not swearing allegiance to anything right now, I know far to little about this whole Crypto thing to swear allegiance to anything at this point.

I find this whole industry so interesting, from the gambling aspect, to the technical, to the trading and reading of the market. I wanted to know if this could be a hobby that actually made me money, instead of costing me.

please don't confuse me with other people who are looking for the "magic internet money", I understand i may have just threw away that money i mentioned, but it was, and is an experiment for myself.

Now, in regards to your big post.

you did clear up a few things, i kind of figured that more overall hashing power would increase the difficulty and profitability, but i just hadn't gotten the vibe that anyone was really concerned about it. Perhaps all the posters already have theirs ordered?  Wink

I was hoping that there would always be some kind of low-key coin that could be mine, and maybe even traded.

precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 02:38:43 AM

Thank you cryptowho for the very detailed response.

To answer your last question. Yes, yes i am mining reddcoins right now, and yes i did buy 140$ worth. (bonus round, i built a gaming computer a year ago and just so happened to pick a great mining GPU by coincidence)
But a better answer would be that I'm not swearing allegiance to anything right now, I know far to little about this whole Crypto thing to swear allegiance to anything at this point.

I find this whole industry so interesting, from the gambling aspect, to the technical, to the trading and reading of the market. I wanted to know if this could be a hobby that actually made me money, instead of costing me.

please don't confuse me with other people who are looking for the "magic internet money", I understand i may have just threw away that money i mentioned, but it was, and is an experiment for myself.

Now, in regards to your big post.

you did clear up a few things, i kind of figured that more overall hashing power would increase the difficulty and profitability, but i just hadn't gotten the vibe that anyone was really concerned about it. Perhaps all the posters already have theirs ordered?  Wink

I was hoping that there would always be some kind of low-key coin that could be mine, and maybe even traded.

try https://ipominer.com/

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:42:39 AM

forget about it... total waste of money now.

New coins are dead in the water days or hours after launch.

100's of noobs trying to get in early on every launch and dump before all the other noobs dump.... it's not easy to mine anything decent and get a good price now. That is finished with.  KGW + tons of miners = not many easy coins, and if you get some you better be first to dump them or else you're just stuck with a pile of worthless junk that nobody is interested in developing into anything. That 0 rated dev is already coding the coins for tomorrows releases.

It seems easier now to wait for a few days until they swarm the latest coin out that hour and mine on low diff the coin that was popular 2 days ago. Of course now everyone has forgot about it and nobody will buy it but if you want to mine a lot of coins best to wait until the diff drops.

Scrypt is going out of fashion rapidly.

LTC and DOGE the only likely ones to stay scrypt unless others manage to get merged mining with them.

I know some people that had average mining farms that now have proved themselves to have 500MH of scrypt mining power.  

Grindseed is nothing i believe people already have access to KNC titans or similar NOW.  

KNC just said oh actually we are going from 100MH to 250MH ....

You can be sure before you have 25% roi  the diff on any coins worth anything will skyrocket.

I'm going to sell some of my rigs and put the funds into trading. If you do homework you can sometimes spot a future star.

I actually think even buying gpu now is better than grindseed.... i see a lot of coins vowing to swap to x11 or qrk  grindseeds are no good for those.

I'm not even sure the knc titans first batch owners will make roi for weeks, months or longer

Like i said some people that used to just have average 20MH farms now have 100s MH farms....

Simply too much mining competition now unless you have big bucks and access to mystery asics that some have gotten hold of.

I don't think for one moment people have 100's to 1000's of these grind seeds at home.... there are bigger asics already but only a few have them.

foxtrot9000 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:56:16 AM

This is great info, and you probably saved me a lot of money.

I'm going to lean towards investing my real world money in the market (BTC, LTC), and keep mining with my current rig. (lets go RDD!)
If there's anything that i have learned its that time will tell all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: