Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:11:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 676 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NA  (Read 893540 times)
WaterLooDown
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:45:58 PM

Question for those with more experience with blockchains than me.  Sorry if we already covered this and I missed it.

Observation: Last night, Gf7wGAwJGDLfoHcNCRLKZqpk2EQU5ixA6c mined blocks 113,242 to 113,254 (13 blocks) in a little under 6 minutes.  grabbing 13,000 NLG with what I assume was a lot of hashing power.  Gf7 then stops mining NLG.  As a result of so many blocks getting solved so quickly, the network difficulty jumps significantly and only 1 block (113258) gets mined for almost 2 hours.   You see this pattern consistently.. Gf7 solving a lot of blocks in a few minutes with a lot of hashing power, then departing, only to come back later when the network difficulty is low again. 

Opinion: If Gf7 is a miner only looking to dump NLG as soon as he/she gets it, I don't blame them for doing what the're doing.. seems most profitable this way.. jumping from alt-coin to alt-coin with a lot of hashing power.. but this type of behavior doesn't really seem fair to the rest of the mining network and their profitability, who get stuck mining at much higher difficulty for a long period of time because Gf7 mined so many blocks so quickly.  It's also obviously not good for the network with long periods of time without confirmations.

Questions: From a merchant point of view, do the point of sales tools they use get affected by not having confirmations in the network for a long period of time?  I assuming there is nothing that can be done about this type of behavior.. Anyone have a problem with this? Or is this to be expected and there is nothing that can be done about this until the network difficulty is so high, this type of quick hitting isn't possible anymore? 

Kimoto Gravity Well making large percentage difficulty changes as a result of the high hashpower quick hits:

2014-09-07 03:09:53 Difficulty Retarget - Kimoto Gravity Well
2014-09-07 03:09:53 PastRateAdjustmentRatio = 1.31683

2014-09-07 04:23:16 Difficulty Retarget - Kimoto Gravity Well
2014-09-07 04:23:16 PastRateAdjustmentRatio = 0.865962

Again, sorry of this has already been covered.. All the best --Mark

Hi Mark,

I will try answer your questions as best I can. So these wild swings in hash normally occur when we have a wide trade margin in a short space of time.
eg. Highest bid 1100 and Lowest sell 1400. Someone will take out the 1400 sell order and a minute later someone will sell at 1100, this also occurs when the price is decreasing slowly, miners start switching off, we have a reversal in price to the upside and surge in hash power.

With above being said once those long block times have been resolved the next blocks get resolved really quickly to create some sort of balance.

Regarding litebit I think they do have a set time that they will credit a buyers account and same with litepaid. The times I have spent through litepaid its been quick.

Having miners like Gf7 is kinda necessary as he will provide NLG supply to the exchanges where I know a lot of our other miners are hording. Also the surge from that miner could potentially offset a 51% attack.

To conclude I believe the NLG network will continue to grow as we as a community and team prove our worth to the rest of the crypto followers and as we introduce more Dutch people into Cryptos.
I bet most of us would of settled for a price of 500 at the end of december with GH/s above 5. I am personally extremely pleased with where we are today and the best is still to come!

https://developer.gulden.com/blog/ - For the latest Gulden development updates

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thsminer

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 01:48:48 PM

Question for those with more experience with blockchains than me.  Sorry if we already covered this and I missed it.

Observation: Last night, Gf7wGAwJGDLfoHcNCRLKZqpk2EQU5ixA6c mined blocks 113,242 to 113,254 (13 blocks) in a little under 6 minutes.  grabbing 13,000 NLG with what I assume was a lot of hashing power.  Gf7 then stops mining NLG.  As a result of so many blocks getting solved so quickly, the network difficulty jumps significantly and only 1 block (113258) gets mined for almost 2 hours.   You see this pattern consistently.. Gf7 solving a lot of blocks in a few minutes with a lot of hashing power, then departing, only to come back later when the network difficulty is low again. 

Opinion: If Gf7 is a miner only looking to dump NLG as soon as he/she gets it, I don't blame them for doing what the're doing.. seems most profitable this way.. jumping from alt-coin to alt-coin with a lot of hashing power.. but this type of behavior doesn't really seem fair to the rest of the mining network and their profitability, who get stuck mining at much higher difficulty for a long period of time because Gf7 mined so many blocks so quickly.  It's also obviously not good for the network with long periods of time without confirmations.

Questions: From a merchant point of view, do the point of sales tools they use get affected by not having confirmations in the network for a long period of time?  I assuming there is nothing that can be done about this type of behavior.. Anyone have a problem with this? Or is this to be expected and there is nothing that can be done about this until the network difficulty is so high, this type of quick hitting isn't possible anymore? 

Kimoto Gravity Well making large percentage difficulty changes as a result of the high hashpower quick hits:

Yep, he´s doing this for quite some time now. It´s the major problem of mining. KGW solves this a littlebit, otherwise we would have been stuck for 100s of blocks. This is not the first time our notorious dumper used it also several times.
These guy hop from coin to coin everytime with a lot of power and only untill the diff rises.
thsminer

Activity: 332

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 02:12:04 PM

Hi Mark,

I will try answer your questions as best I can. So these wild swings in hash normally occur when we have a wide trade margin in a short space of time.
eg. Highest bid 1100 and Lowest sell 1400. Someone will take out the 1400 sell order and a minute later someone will sell at 1100, this also occurs when the price is decreasing slowly, miners start switching off, we have a reversal in price to the upside and surge in hash power.

With above being said once those long block times have been resolved the next blocks get resolved really quickly to create some sort of balance.

Regarding litebit I think they do have a set time that they will credit a buyers account and same with litepaid. The times I have spent through litepaid its been quick.

Having miners like Gf7 is kinda necessary as he will provide NLG supply to the exchanges where I know a lot of our other miners are hording. Also the surge from that miner could potentially offset a 51% attack.

To conclude I believe the NLG network will continue to grow as we as a community and team prove our worth to the rest of the crypto followers and as we introduce more Dutch people into Cryptos.
I bet most of us would of settled for a price of 500 at the end of december with GH/s above 5. I am personally extremely pleased with where we are today and the best is still to come!
Sorry but I don't agree with this statement. A coin can easily do without these miners because they only destabilise the system by causing very short and very long blocktimes. There is also no connection between manipulating the protocol to gain a few extra coins and hording. This guy can also be hording you don't know.

I don't understand how a surge from such miner can initiate a 51% attack.
Dutchyyy
Legendary

Activity: 1197
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 02:30:44 PM

Do you guys think I should wait more before buying more ?
WaterLooDown
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 02:48:12 PM

Hi Mark,

Sorry but I don't agree with this statement. A coin can easily do without these miners because they only destabilise the system by causing very short and very long blocktimes. There is also no connection between manipulating the protocol to gain a few extra coins and hording. This guy can also be hording you don't know.

I don't understand how a surge from such miner can initiate a 51% attack.

Offset as in help prevent a 51% attack as more mining power comes in unexpectedly.

That is true THS, it was more assumption then anything else as the miner is jumping from coin to coin mining the most profitable for the time.

/GeertJohan

Activity: 409

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:18:23 PM

Crosspost from this Guldencoin forum topic

Guldencoin Explorer beta
The Guldencoin team is continuously working to improve the fundamental tools that power the coin and serve this great community.
It's only a day ago that we migrated the forums to a more ddos-proof location, and now it's time to release our next project: the Guldencoin Explorer beta.

This is a block explorer that I've been working on for the past few weeks. It's a new explorer, written from scratch.
At this time the explorer supports basic functionality, more features will be added as development progresses.
Because this is new software, there is some precaution advised. Don't use this explorer as a definite source of information yet, as data could be missing.
For instance, support for non-standard transaction scripts is not available yet.

As this is a beta, the explorer might not have 24/7 uptime. It might crash and needs to restart for updates now and then.

If you notice a bug or mistake, please report this! We cannot fix what we don't notice.

Have fun!
https://explorer.guldencoin.com
WaterLooDown
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:31:02 PM

Guldencoin Explorer beta
The Guldencoin team is continuously working to improve the fundamental tools that power the coin and serve this great community.
It's only a day ago that we migrated the forums to a more ddos-proof location, and now it's time to release our next project: the Guldencoin Explorer beta.

This is a block explorer that I've been working on for the past few weeks. It's a new explorer, written from scratch.
At this time the explorer supports basic functionality, more features will be added as development progresses.
Because this is new software, there is some precaution advised. Don't use this explorer as a definite source of information yet, as data could be missing.
For instance, support for non-standard transaction scripts is not available yet.

As this is a beta, the explorer might not have 24/7 uptime. It might crash and needs to restart for updates now and then.

If you notice a bug or mistake, please report this! We cannot fix what we don't notice.

Have fun!

The speed on the search functions is incredible, guys to report bugs or suggestions to add to the explorer then please post in the below thread on the forums. Making suggestions here will get missed.

https://forum.guldencoin.com/index.php?topic=496.msg3927;boardseen#new

Halofire

Activity: 938

@halofirebtc

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:48:50 PM

Hello Guldencoin Community!

I have been in contact with the OP owner about an idea I had for sustaining the amount of NLG in existence. While I did not get an excited reply from him, I didn't release my idea yet, but it's golden (gulden) haha. I know the inner workings of how coding goes: create the definitions, then apply with coded direction, and I'm fully aware of the existing codes of most coins. I'm able to check github sources for hidden blocks and premines and to verify certain features like how PoS or block times should be. I was going to create my own coin with this feature I discuss, but I feel NLG could be the derserving coin. I've had this idea for almost a year, and told only two people in crypto about it. I'm not just giving an idea, I'm giving a lifeline for all users of the gulden.

What's the point of this coin if people lose them in their wallets? Gone forever, well, not gone, but inaccessible so those coins might as well be considered gone. While this should improve the price, no one really knows for sure which coins are locked up, which coins people are just holding, or which coins really are inaccessible, so price increases won't occur like everyone thinks

My idea would preserve the guldencoin forever, so that there will always be 1.7 billion coins for future generations to enjoy - of course once we hit the coin cap in many years. The whole purpose of making guldencoin was to reintroduce the beloved gulden back into the Netherlands, so if people lose them and the coin supply dwindles, that's asinine.

Before I release my idea to the dev as I was instructed to do by the OP owner, I wanted to ask the community if this would be in the communities interest as well. We are the holders and owners of NLG, I'd like to hear if you want NLG to be preserved forever or if the community would rather have the coin supply dwindle down as coins get lost. Remember, as coins get lost, the price should go up, but who knows which coins will really be lost so it's nearly impossible to dictate when the price should accommodate these lost coins.

The only thing I will tell about my idea at this time is that it does NOT include coding additional coins into the works or like how DOGE produces coins forever. This is the key to sustainability without inflation.

I will not ask for anything other than the credit for my idea to include using the name I've thought of for my idea. If people want to donate coins to me, that's fine, but isn't necessary. I'll accept NLG or BTC, but I'd be happy knowing my name will live in crypto history forever.

Yes, I am involved in OC, but I'm a miner first and have been involved in crypto for over a year, please do not let my other interests in other coins come between the possibilities I can provide.

I'm on twitter as well as @halofirebtc if people would like to follow me there.

So community, what are your thoughts?

OC Development - oZwWbQwz6LAkDLa2pHsEH8WSD2Y3LsTgFt
SMC Development - SgpYdoVz946nLBF2hF3PYCVQYnuYDeQTGu
Friendly reminder: Back up your wallet.dat files!!
Buerra
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 03:55:23 PM

Guldencoin Explorer beta

Have fun!

Awesome! Finally one that works properly and looks very good. Great job GJ!
/GeertJohan

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:02:30 PM

I have been in contact with the OP owner about an idea I had for sustaining the amount of NLG in existence. While I did not get an excited reply from him, I didn't release my idea yet, but it's golden
(gulden) haha.

.. snip ...

Before I release my idea to the dev as I was instructed to do by the OP owner, .. snip ..

You were asked (not instructed) to email me with your idea, so we could discuss/brainstorm about it. Sadly, I have not received anything yet...

We are interested in your idea (why wouldn't we be). However, all information you have given so far is very abstract.  This problem of lost coins has been topic of discussion for a milion times in Bitcoin (and altcoin) communities. In the end, the problem in fixing it is in the implementation.
I would be very interested to know how you think something like this can be achieved.
Halofire

@halofirebtc

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:05:25 PM

I have been in contact with the OP owner about an idea I had for sustaining the amount of NLG in existence. While I did not get an excited reply from him, I didn't release my idea yet, but it's golden
(gulden) haha.

.. snip ...

Before I release my idea to the dev as I was instructed to do by the OP owner, .. snip ..

You were asked (not instructed) to email me with your idea, so we could discuss/brainstorm about it. Sadly, I have not received anything yet...

We are interested in your idea (why wouldn't we be). However, all information you have given so far is very abstract.  This problem of lost coins has been topic of discussion for a milion times in Bitcoin (and altcoin) communities. In the end, the problem in fixing it is in the implementation.
I would be very interested to know how you think something like this can be achieved.

I wanted to find out the communities thoughts before I pursued this with you. It's not just up to you and I, it affects everyone. I'm selective about it, that's all Smiley
I also haven't been able to to put my mind to crypto for the last week or 2, personal reasons.

/GeertJohan

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:08:44 PM

I wanted to find out the communities thoughts before I pursued this with you. I'm selective about it, that's all Smiley
I also haven't been able to to put my mind to crypto for the last week or 2, personal reasons.

No problem. Smiley Can you tell us a bit more about your proposal? What would it do? how would it work?
Dutchyyy
Legendary

Activity: 1197
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:09:26 PM

(gulden) haha.

.. snip ...

I wanted to find out the communities thoughts before I pursued this with you. I'm selective about it, that's all Smiley

Is this a feature that prevent coins  owners from losing coins
Halofire

@halofirebtc

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:12:25 PM

(gulden) haha.

.. snip ...

Is this a feature that prevent coins  owners from losing coins

Nope, you are still responsible for your "live" coins.

Halofire

@halofirebtc

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:13:59 PM

No problem. Smiley Can you tell us a bit more about your proposal? What would it do? how would it work?

Once I feel out the communities response, I will be more than willing to give you my idea with every detail.

Buerra
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:18:28 PM

Once I feel out the communities response, I will be more than willing to give you my idea with every detail.

This isn't really helping much, of course people are interested in keeping all the coins (a part from the coins that might've been lost already) in existence. At least I am, can't speak for others of course. But like GJ says, why would't we be interested? Send GJ an e-mail or PM!

Don't forget to peek at the https://explorer.guldencoin.com ! Best explorer ever Cheesy
Halofire

@halofirebtc

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:22:27 PM

This isn't really helping much, of course people are interested in keeping all the coins (a part from the coins that might've been lost already) in existence. At least I am, can't speak for others of course. But like GJ says, why would't we be interested? Send GJ an e-mail or PM!

Don't forget to peek at the https://explorer.guldencoin.com ! Best explorer ever Cheesy

This is the type of response I'm looking for, you guys have to understand, this idea is my "baby" and it's all I've got, and I just want to see it in the right hands, accepted not just by the devs but the community as well. Since the quick responses have been positive, I will begin the informative process soon.

TamiLee

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:24:04 PM

This is the type of response I'm looking for, you guys have to understand, this idea is my "baby" and it's all I've got, and I just want to see it in the right hands, accepted not just by the devs but the community as well. Since the quick responses have been positive, I will begin the informative process soon.

To beat the best , NLG has to be the best. I would love to hear your idea!
mainpmf

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:38:52 PM

Same goes for me!

████████████████████████████
████████▄▄████████▄▄████████
█████▄███▀▀██████▀▀███▄█████
██████▀███▄█▄██▄▄████▀██████
████████████████▄▄████████
████▄▄███████████████▄████
████▄████████████████▀████
████████▀▀▀████▀█▀█████████
██████▄██████████████▄██████
█████▀███▄▄██████▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀████████▀▀████████
Truckcoin

For The Fastest Decentralized Global Market
▬▬     ANN Thread     WhitePaper     Twitter     Facebook     Google+     ▬▬

SushiChef

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 04:40:25 PM

Innovation is in best hands with the Dutch! Please share your ideas with the team. They are open to all serious thoughts and ideas is my personal experience
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 676 »
  Print  

Jump to: