Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:11:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would people pour their cash into bitcoin given a stock market crash?  (Read 8841 times)
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:04:49 AM

A stock market crash right now wouldn't affect too much bitcoin. There's still not enough infrastructure/awareness to allow stock traders to quickly move to cryptos.
However, if it happens in a year or so, the scenario might be completely different and cause a major buy in into btc.

Yes, there needs to be an easy way to sell stocks and buy bitcoin (or a proxy thereof) on the same platform.  If/when a bitcoin ETF becomes tradable, it will then be possible for average investors to buy into bitcoin easily.
The ETF will also likely increase public awareness of bitcoin, causing more people to adopt bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:17:27 AM

A stock market crash right now wouldn't affect too much bitcoin. There's still not enough infrastructure/awareness to allow stock traders to quickly move to cryptos.
However, if it happens in a year or so, the scenario might be completely different and cause a major buy in into btc.

Yes, there needs to be an easy way to sell stocks and buy bitcoin (or a proxy thereof) on the same platform.  If/when a bitcoin ETF becomes tradable, it will then be possible for average investors to buy into bitcoin easily.
The ETF will also likely increase public awareness of bitcoin, causing more people to adopt bitcoin.

Probably true, but direct investment will have a much larger effect on bitcoin price than adoption.  Additionally, a bitcoin ETF would grant access to a lot more capital as people could then invest with 401ks and other retirement savings.
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:07:33 AM

Probably true, but direct investment will have a much larger effect on bitcoin price than adoption.  Additionally, a bitcoin ETF would grant access to a lot more capital as people could then invest with 401ks and other retirement savings.
A ETF would not be available in most workers' 401(k) accounts as the investment choices are limited by the plan administrator of the accounts.

I would be very interested to see how fungible a BTC EFT is compared to bitcoin. That is how easy it would be to go from a share in the ETF to bitcoin.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CoinsCoinsEverywhere

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 07:21:42 AM

A ETF would not be available in most workers' 401(k) accounts as the investment choices are limited by the plan administrator of the accounts.

I would be very interested to see how fungible a BTC EFT is compared to bitcoin. That is how easy it would be to go from a share in the ETF to bitcoin.

Really?  Plan administrators restrict the ETFs you can buy in a 401(k)?  I didn't know that as my retirement plan only allows investment in mutual funds.  Maybe I was thinking of IRAs.  In any case, thanks for pointing that out.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:21:46 PM

Really?  Plan administrators restrict the ETFs you can buy in a 401(k)?  I didn't know that as my retirement plan only allows investment in mutual funds.  Maybe I was thinking of IRAs.  In any case, thanks for pointing that out.
You can't actually trade ETFs with a 401k the same way that you can trade them in a normal brokerage account, but you can hold some ETfs if the plan allows it.

You are correct to say that you can hold any ETF in an IRA (as long as it trades on a major exchange) but the value of funds in IRAs is much less then what is held in 401(k)s

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 10:27:37 PM

I wouldn't worry about people pouring their retirement funds into bitcoin when the ETF comes out, I would be excited about large institutions buying into bitcoin. If consumers wanted to invest in bitcoin they could simply buy it via an exchange.

This spot for rent.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 01:32:50 AM

You can't actually trade ETFs with a 401k the same way that you can trade them in a normal brokerage account, but you can hold some ETfs if the plan allows it.

You are correct to say that you can hold any ETF in an IRA (as long as it trades on a major exchange) but the value of funds in IRAs is much less then what is held in 401(k)s
Maybe once enough people invest in bitcoin in the "mainstream" world then more large, early adopters will sell their holdings, further diversifying the holders of bitcoin in circulation 
okthen

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 01:35:15 AM

So it's set. We need that market crash to come after the Winklevoss eft comes to light.
Hurry up guys! Grin
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 02:01:52 AM

So it's set. We need that market crash to come after the Winklevoss eft comes to light.
Hurry up guys! Grin
I would argue that public adoption would increase regardless of a market crash once the ETF starts trading.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: