Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:34:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining hardware reorganization  (Read 1196 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12985

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:19:33 PM

"Custom hardware" is now called Hardware. The old Hardware section is now "CPU/GPU Bitcoin mining hardware" and archived. You can't post new topics or posts to an archived section, but you can move your topics out to a different section. If a topic should be moved out and the topic-starter is not available to do it, report the topic.

All Bitcoin hardware talk should go in the (new) Hardware section. Altcoin hardware talk should go in the altcoin mining section.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 07:49:15 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 08:04:14 PM by dogie

I think its a bad idea, there were already way too many active topics in custom hardware as it was.

Yes the previous split didn't make sense, but having no split is even worse.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:26:15 PM

I think its a bad idea, there were already way too many active topics in custom hardware as it was.

I think the point was that people don't mine Bitcoins with GPU/CPU anymore, and people posting in the old hardware section, almost 100% of the time, should be posting in the Alt Currencies mining section instead.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1633

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 10:55:21 PM

I fail to see how having a split between hardware and custom hardware is in any way beneficial when all hardware is custom.

This was also discussed at length here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=352571.0

Only people who want altcoin hardware discussion somehow blended in with the bitcoin mining hardware section were proponents of keeping separate sections, and it has already been discussed many times before that altcoin mining discussion has no place in the bitcoin mining subsection.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 12:07:04 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 09:43:05 AM by dogie

I fail to see how having a split between hardware and custom hardware is in any way beneficial when all hardware is custom.

This was also discussed at length here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=352571.0

Only people who want altcoin hardware discussion somehow blended in with the bitcoin mining hardware section were proponents of keeping separate sections, and it has already been discussed many times before that altcoin mining discussion has no place in the bitcoin mining subsection.
I don't disagree that the old split didn't make sense. What do I do disagree on is the crazy level of hyper active threads that was already in custom hardware. Because useful threads would fall off the first page very quickly, people would post a second, a third, a 4th, 5th, 6th new thread on a slightly different topic of Antminer S1s for example - because the previous threads fall off almost immediately and people don't search. Adding more traffic into the same area will just stand to amplify this effect.

We need to think of a way to draw off some of the traffic like what happened with group buys. Before group buys its was bedlam, then things were really sorted out. Maybe a subforum purely for company announcements/official threads.

railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:29:26 AM

I think the point was that people don't mine Bitcoins with GPU/CPU anymore, and people posting in the old hardware section, almost 100% of the time, should be posting in the Alt Currencies mining section instead.

Probably. But please remember that for most of us asicless youngsters who are only interested in Bitcoin, the only way to 'mine bitcoins' is with our gpu's on sites like scyptguild, which milk the altcoins and auto-convert them. Must we be relegated to the 'other side'?

people would post a second, a third, a 4th, 5th, 6th new thread on a slightly different topic of Antminer S1s for example

Should they not be posted in mining support forum?

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 08:51:31 AM

Probably. But please remember that for most of us asicless youngsters who are only interested in Bitcoin, the only way to 'mine bitcoins' is with our gpu's on sites like scyptguild, which milk the altcoins and auto-convert them. Must we be relegated to the 'other side'?

people would post a second, a third, a 4th, 5th, 6th new thread on a slightly different topic of Antminer S1s for example

Should they not be posted in mining support forum?

If you aren't mining bitcoins, you shouldn't be posting in bitcoin mining for support, that's silly. I know the altcoin folks aren't helpful but that isn't our fault.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 09:46:06 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 10:08:35 AM by dogie

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=557036.0 This is exactly what I was referring to. Both mine and the manufacturer/global distributor's threads were on the second page, so people assume its new information and start a new thread.

Then even when they are shown the old thread exists, they STILL continue talking about it in the new thread. Now you have 3 threads, with the 2 older threads pushed further away. Rinse repeat.

Edit: Another suggestion is to move the resellers/importers threads out to WTS/marketplace. They're just open offers to sell and not really custom hardware.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 11:50:39 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=557036.0 This is exactly what I was referring to. Both mine and the manufacturer/global distributor's threads were on the second page, so people assume its new information and start a new thread.

Then even when they are shown the old thread exists, they STILL continue talking about it in the new thread. Now you have 3 threads, with the 2 older threads pushed further away. Rinse repeat.

Edit: Another suggestion is to move the resellers/importers threads out to WTS/marketplace. They're just open offers to sell and not really custom hardware.
Same problem exists with every forum section, people always post new topics about something already posted. Something's not right; what gives dogie, why does this bother you so much?

-ck
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 12:02:23 PM

We move a lot of the selling stuff to the marketplace section already.

-ck
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 12:39:17 PM

Same problem exists with every forum section, people always post new topics about something already posted. Something's not right; what gives dogie, why does this bother you so much?
They do it when the threads are on the second page, which is caused by too many topic areas being squeezed into one subforum. It's something I've always cared about, but now we're fixing things we can look st it. The last change made/will make this specific issue worse unless resolved.

I'll PM you a list of reseller threads I think are inappropriately placed at the moment, when I'm home.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 12:44:45 PM

They do it when the threads are on the second page, which is caused by too many topic areas being squeezed into one subforum. It's something I've always cared about, but now we're fixing things we can look st it. The last change made/will make this specific issue worse unless resolved.

I'll PM you a list of reseller threads I think are inappropriately placed at the moment, when I'm home.
Just use the regular notify moderator button as there are many mods who can do it, not just me. I'm sure things will improve anyway as the whole mining section is now rather heavily moderated. If we can think of a meaningful new category to add that won't be abused it might help, but right now mining is a (hopefully temporary) clusterfsck anyway thanks to how the manufacturers have treated us and how the miners have thrown money at them.

-ck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: