Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:47:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why so many abandoned coins?  (Read 803 times)
foodstamps (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:18:08 PM

Every couple days a new coin comes out that gets abandoned by the dev. I am having trouble understanding the thought process of this. My guess is it is either one of these options.
  • The dev is extremely lazy and/or has so many other coins that they cannot keep up with them. The plan is to release a coin, hope they get support and come back days/weeks later and dump a bunch.
  • It is actually a well thought out plan to get people to waste their hash on tons of junk coins while the big miners mine all the "good" coins.

Could there be any reason I am not seeing?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:29:50 PM

Every couple days a new coin comes out that gets abandoned by the dev. I am having trouble understanding the thought process of this. My guess is it is either one of these options.
  • The dev is extremely lazy and/or has so many other coins that they cannot keep up with them. The plan is to release a coin, hope they get support and come back days/weeks later and dump a bunch.
  • It is actually a well thought out plan to get people to waste their hash on tons of junk coins while the big miners mine all the "good" coins.

1. the dev loses his premine or does not get to instamine - no interest in the coin.

2. the get to dump their premine or instamine early and move to creating a new coin.

3. the coin is a intentional waste of time to suck miners in and burn them as a warning about so many shit coins coming out.

4. the dev has good intentions but gets bored

5. coin attacked and can't be fixed by the dev with his current skill set.

so yeah i think you already got the main reasons...

ilccoin

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:36:22 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 06:27:24 PM by ilccoin

that is exactly what is going on. some don't even have the endurance to get it onto an exchange. sometimes they even use the same username to announce a few new coins thats how lazy they are. and if the community does not jump on their new creation in an instant, they just leave it behind and creat the next one. i don't think this will end soon, because it is so easy to create a new coin and so many try to be the first to mine it.

most of them die after they hit the first exchange. the dev dumps his coin and leaves the community behind. they try to hang on as long as they can. some go even so far and try to "revive" a coin that has been left to die, thats how desperate some are. even if they manage to find new devs to keep working the stigma of the "dumped coin" remains and at that time the price is most likely very low and impossible to turn around.

CemQJWb3qA3DKsUV8nyfkgRe57zEKgmUm7
PereguineBerty

Activity: 109
Merit: 35

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:22:13 PM

The way I see it is there's a lot of info on how to clone coins but very little on supporting them. Cloning is the easy part.

Getting updates working on existing blockchains, doing successful hard forks and being able to regularly compile updated working wallets on the main O/S's separates the men from the boys.

Too many devs give up at the first hurdle as soon as their coins fall victim to 'difficulty issues' i.e. pool-hopping or they realize that getting on exchanges is a lot harder than they imagined. Also, keeping miners interested enough to keep the blockchain ticking over could be another reason so many give up.

ilccoin

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:29:47 PM

The way I see it is there's a lot of info on how to clone coins but very little on supporting them. Cloning is the easy part.

Getting updates working on existing blockchains, doing successful hard forks and being able to regularly compile updated working wallets on the main O/S's separates the men from the boys.

Too many devs give up at the first hurdle as soon as their coins fall victim to 'difficulty issues' i.e. pool-hopping or they realize that getting on exchanges is a lot harder than they imagined. Also, keeping miners interested enough to keep the blockchain ticking over could be another reason so many give up.

yes. i think that most of them are not very skilled programmers. they manage to clone a coin and as soon as the first problems come up they don't know what to do. just look at the kgw that a lot of coins needed, but some could not implement it and ended up merging the code from another altcoin.

CemQJWb3qA3DKsUV8nyfkgRe57zEKgmUm7
poncom

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:14:08 PM

yes. i think that most of them are not very skilled programmers. they manage to clone a coin and as soon as the first problems come up they don't know what to do. just look at the kgw that a lot of coins needed, but some could not implement it and ended up merging the code from another altcoin.

I remember a thread started around christmas time by a "dev" who said he just cut and paste a new name into a coin's code and compiled it. He was complaining about not being able to answer any technical questions from miners because he had not got a clue about crypto currencies. Some people said he was a troll and some wondered if he was for real. I'm still wondering, but judging by some of the shit coins release it would not surprise me if he was for real.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: