Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:23:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do we call these "DECENTRALIZED" when the developer is the GOD of the coin?  (Read 540 times)
brooklynite (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 01:17:28 AM

Why? The developers have full, 100% control, or better yet, the OP who starts a thread on Bitcointalk and places a link to download wallet is in charge. OR if its a classy coin with a *.org website, the person who has access to upload files to the FTP then can change the wallet and upload a new QT that changes EVERYTHING about a coin. Hard fork it, even chain the blockchain to reroute old transactions that are "confirmed".

So can someone tell me WHY we call these "decentralized" when the dude with the password to the ftp site has 100% control?
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 02:22:58 AM

I think you need to do some reading on your own

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 02:55:29 AM

because americans don't know how to spell decentralised  Wink
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 03:49:31 AM

Why? The developers have full, 100% control, or better yet, the OP who starts a thread on Bitcointalk and places a link to download wallet is in charge. OR if its a classy coin with a *.org website, the person who has access to upload files to the FTP then can change the wallet and upload a new QT that changes EVERYTHING about a coin. Hard fork it, even chain the blockchain to reroute old transactions that are "confirmed".

So can someone tell me WHY we call these "decentralized" when the dude with the password to the ftp site has 100% control?

well i guess the OP has some power yes... so does the dev in real terms (usually the same person anyway) i mean most people just blindly update their wallets to the next version. I would not have though the doge users would have updated to the fork with infinite coins...not saying i think it is a bad idea. However everyone updated pretty fast, they mostly have blind faith in the dev. People who check the source perhaps think a bit before updating.

However if they did not update their wallets then the dev can't implement any changes... so the power is with the users, but since mostly they all update as soon as there is a new wallet the dev does have some power too.

Check points are something i am not sure about... only the dev has the control of those i think...although i am not sure entirely what they do and how they effect the coin.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 01:55:44 PM

well i guess the OP has some power yes... so does the dev in real terms (usually the same person anyway) i mean most people just blindly update their wallets to the next version. I would not have though the doge users would have updated to the fork with infinite coins...not saying i think it is a bad idea. However everyone updated pretty fast, they mostly have blind faith in the dev. People who check the source perhaps think a bit before updating.

However if they did not update their wallets then the dev can't implement any changes... so the power is with the users, but since mostly they all update as soon as there is a new wallet the dev does have some power too.

Check points are something i am not sure about... only the dev has the control of those i think...although i am not sure entirely what they do and how they effect the coin.

Nothing to do with the topic as I think the answer is pretty obvious,  checkpoints only tell the clients what the correct chain is, the community could still fork the currency if they most chose to move to a new client,  and for example that might have new check point nodes or none.

Checkpoints were touted as centralized back when people knew nothing about them and they were frustrated by the fact that they couldn't attack NVC all that long time ago, back in the old golden days of crypto. 

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: