Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:00:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good/best online wallet?  (Read 5645 times)
SirJMD (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 05:06:29 PM

Just as the title states: Recommend me a good online wallet, with these conditions:

- Static recieve address
- Wallet for BitCoin
- Wallet for NameCoin
Would be nice if it could store LiteCoins aswell, but its not an absolute need.

Fire away! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 06:52:36 PM

i don't know if its the best idea but i use btc-e and vicurex as online wallets, they both can do what you want

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
alex44878

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 12:44:27 AM

I've been using MtGox, but I typically don't store for more than a few days.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2012, 05:15:01 AM

I would recommend you print a paper wallet from BitAddress.org.  This is what I do, and I handle thousands of Bitcoins.  Virtually all of my bitcoins are on paper.

I have a utility that, if you give me the Bitcoin address, I can give you the Namecoin address that shares the same private key, without needing to know the private key.  It's a simple mathematical conversion.  So you could use the same paper wallet for both.  The utility is open source, you can download it and run it too.  It will generate addresses for all the various crap coins  Wink if you just input the number that identifies them (e.g. 0 for bitcoin, 52 for namecoin, someone surely knows the number for all the others).  Hopefully the alt coin of your choice supports private key imports.

(Excuse the bias on the alt coins, of course)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 06:03:51 AM

I'm very interested in this topic, since I'm just finding out about bitcoins but right now all the computers I have access to are shared and I only need to move around small amounts.

More than anything I'd like to hear opinions on how secure e-wallets are in practice, would my funds really be compromised even in the short term using any of these services? Are they constantly under attack?

I'm using instawallet right now, I keep the address written down and check only using my portable Chrome on incognito mode from my thumbdrive and then only from computers which I know aren't infected with any viruses.

In my opinion, it is OK to use a website for small amounts. You just need to protect yourself from vírus/malware that could steal your password (if you used the official client you'd have to do that anyway). The top exchanges are probably safe: Mtgox, TradeHill, CampBX, Intersango, etc. They have been around for several months and they haven't been compromised (well, except for MtGox in June...). Btc-e is more recent and doesn't inspire me a lot of trust, but maybe they are OK too.
SirJMD (OP)

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 01:29:03 PM

Does Mt. Gox have any transfer fees?

Sadly they dont accept namecoins or litecoins :/
Seal
Donator

Activity: 849
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2012, 12:11:59 AM

Does Mt. Gox have any transfer fees?

Sadly they dont accept namecoins or litecoins :/

No they don't. However coins only appear in your Gox wallet when they have 6 confirmations.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
zumbador

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 07:16:19 PM

Mt.Gox works for me. Isn't TradeHill suppose to be coming out with some kind of wallet or bank account
abaaj

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:19:28 PM

I've been using mtgox since July-Augest , TGod I Never Had A Problem.
The King

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:21:24 PM

I personally like the blockchain.info or the strongcoin.com ones because they cannot see your private keys and run away with the money like mybitcoin etc. !
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:27:53 PM

As much as the 1% transaction fee (max. 1 btc fee) bites, I mainly use StrongCoin for my online wallet, since I keep control of the private keys. I haven't tried blockchain.info yet.

You could probably recommend to the owner of StrongCoin that he implement namecoin usage. Surely the coding is similar enough to be worth the trouble.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
yabadaba

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 08:27:25 PM

As much as the 1% transaction fee (max. 1 btc fee) bites, I mainly use StrongCoin for my online wallet, since I keep control of the private keys. I haven't tried blockchain.info yet.

You could probably recommend to the owner of StrongCoin that he implement namecoin usage. Surely the coding is similar enough to be worth the trouble.

I like that service very much !

They cannot run away with the private keys like mybitcoin etc. !
dogisland

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 12:11:19 PM

I'd like to support namecoin, I'll do some research and see how it works.
MusX

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 09:53:22 AM

any news in the topic since last post?

HaldenCoin

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 10:04:41 AM

InstaWallet got hacked!
More info elsewhere on this forum.
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 10:06:08 AM

blockchain.info is my preferred wallet, use 2 factor as well!

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 10:07:53 AM

I've been using MtGox, but I typically don't store for more than a few days.
i don't know if its the best idea but i use btc-e and vicurex as online wallets, they both can do what you want

Incoming fail  Undecided

reactor

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 10:08:41 AM

You are honestly better off having a wallet locally and running frequent backups.  I backup mine every 12 hours (scheduled for when I get payments in from pools) to my Dropbox so I always have a record going back, so heaven forbid the most recent backup gets corrupt I have the last one available.  Been working fine and no worries about exchanges dropping, companies getting hacked, etc.
ajg007

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:32:25 AM

I have bitcoin.qt installed and now have multibit installed.  How do i transfer my address from bitcoin.qt to multibit?
jgalt

Activity: 36

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 10:15:17 AM

I'd look through bitcoin.it as they have a fairly comprehensive list, here are a few:

blockchain.info
bitcoinqt (download)
coinbase.com

Also, many sites such as localbitcoins.com and mtgox have a wallet feature where you can store bitcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: