Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:54:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius-miners: Do you agree with what is done with your hashing power?  (Read 6799 times)
Schwede65 (OP)

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 09:08:34 AM

Two little questions:

1. Have you - personally - seen any i0c- or iXc-coins mined at this pool?

2. Do you comply with the 51-attack to CLC?

It's a heavy abuse of trust: you give your hashing-power and the OP is doing what ever he wants to do with it...

Yeah, there could be only one conclusion: leaving that pool with that OP, misusing his given power

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Schwede65 (OP)

Activity: 309

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 01:29:30 PM

So he used merged mining and kept the coin? He stole? Details, link?

He's preventing anyone from getting blocks or performing transactions and has no incentive to stop, so it's kind of dead. He was also hinting in IRC that he might do the same to I0coin and Ixcoin and has more than enough hash power to do so, but it's possible he was joking.

Have a look at the hashrates of iXc and i0c shown on http://allchains.info/index.html

this hashing-numbers and the elegius-op performance "i will do the same to i0c and iXc" around this theme

What do you think where these hashes come from?
Yeah, one of our leading pools has such a hashrate...

Maybe it was a test with CLC, which is dead now and he will do the same to iXc and i0c.

The price for these currencies are down and he is not able to make btc's with it any more.
First profit and then fire off...
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 01:31:46 PM

He's preventing anyone from getting blocks or performing transactions and has no incentive to stop, so it's kind of dead. He was also hinting in IRC that he might do the same to I0coin and Ixcoin and has more than enough hash power to do so, but it's possible he was joking.

Have a look at the hashrates of iXc and i0c shown on http://allchains.info/index.html

this hashing-numbers and the elegius-op performance "i will do the same to i0c and iXc" around this theme

What do you think where these hashes come from?
Yeah, one of our leading pools has such a hashrate...

Maybe it was a test with CLC, which is dead now and he will do the same to iXc and i0c.

The price for these currencies are down and he is not able to make btc's with it any more.
First profit and then fire off...

Jesus I only noticed now that those are at near 400gh thanks to this fucktard.

I bet even Christ hates this cunt.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 01:33:20 PM

It had NOTHING to do with merged mining. It was a deliberate and malicious attack on the chain and refusal to process transactions, killing everyone else in the process using the power of his mining pool.....without anyone's consent. Many of us witnessed this as he posted a link to the Coiledcoin thread, with him saying "Coiledcoin is now closed" and him boasting about the attack in chat on BTC-e exchange....where he was banned from not long there after.

His pool should be banned from this forum and him marked as a scammer, as well as being removed entirely from the Bitcoin Project.

I will personally sell every Bitcoin asset I have and invest everything into driving Luke Dash Jr's involvement in Bitcoin into the ground if he is a part of it publicly, with as much bad press as I can possibly muster, just to see him go down unless ties are cut with him.

He has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he belongs with the ranks of Bruce at this point. Chalk up another win for CryptoCoin trust (or mistrust as it were)...

Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 01:38:17 PM

To the hell with this sinner  Cheesy

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 01:40:27 PM

I will personally sell every Bitcoin asset I have and invest everything into driving Luke Dash Jr's involvement in Bitcoin into the ground if he is a part of it publicly, with as much bad press as I can possibly muster, just to see him go down unless ties are cut with him.

Oh noes.  Don't do that.  Please.

I haven't seen proof of anything.  Still your childish and impotent threats just make you silly.

Honestly Bitcoin has survived DDOS attacks, Mybitcoin, largest chain being attacked, a rise to $32 and then a fall to $2, endless hype and then crushing negative press, reports of stolen wallets worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It survived all that but it can't survive you?  Inflated sense of self worth?
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 01:47:18 PM

Oh noes.  Don't do that.  Please.

I haven't seen proof of anything.  Still your childish and impotent threats just make you silly.

Honestly Bitcoin has survived DDOS attacks, Mybitcoin, largest chain being attacked, a rise to $32 and then a fall to $2, endless hype and then crushing negative press, reports of stolen wallets worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It survived all that but it can't survive you?  Inflated sense of self worth?
Allow me to rephrase....
My attack(s) are and would be intended for Luke Dash.....not Bitcoin. It would just be unfortunate if his negative publicity hurt Bitcoin, that's all.
Inflated sense of READING skills on your behalf ? Next time, try reading it out loud, then again...and repeat if required.

finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 02:57:12 PM

Why not make some innovation in alternative blockchains?
Make them take off! That will make a better world~~

Since ixc & i0c &otherc worth so less, i think i don't care luke mine some of them,

cause this is 0 fee pool, merged mining nmc.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:12:45 PM

You know, I am surprised we don't just code into Bitcoin to shut down if faced with a need to reorg more than 5 blocks, rather than accepting an attack chain. Then all an attacker can do is temporarily DoS a chain - far less disruptive than rolling back transactions.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 03:17:26 PM

See the tail end of this thread for other views on the "attack."

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 09:06:22 PM

You know, I am surprised we don't just code into Bitcoin to shut down if faced with a need to reorg more than 5 blocks, rather than accepting an attack chain. Then all an attacker can do is temporarily DoS a chain - far less disruptive than rolling back transactions.

Because for the low price of 250 BTC per event I could knock down bitcoin world wide as often as I want.

Also— please take care here, Luke did not roll back anyone's transactions or double-spend or anything like that.  He's simply mining all the blocks and not processing more transactions.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 10:39:19 PM

Because for the low price of 250 BTC per event I could knock down bitcoin world wide as often as I want.

How are you going to do that without the majority of hash power?

I would ask the same question alone, and also with the consideration that each "event" motivates development and refinement of clients performing automated analysis on the competing block chains to make a more intelligent choice.  (e.g. automated analysis of the transactions in the competing chains, and a bias toward keeping the chain that causes the least disruption instead of an automated shutdown)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 11:19:58 AM

Attacking a chain is perhaps lame, but I dont see it as a crime.
If its true however, Luke used the participants of his pool's hashing power to carry out the attack, that would be serious indeed. No one should entrust his hashing power to a pool operator that uses it at will for any purpose he sees fit. Its no different than deepbit deciding to attack bitcoin for a laugh.

jkminkov

Activity: 698

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 01:54:11 PM

as serious as killing a fly

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 03:52:17 PM

Also— please take care here, Luke did not roll back anyone's transactions or double-spend or anything like that.  He's simply mining all the blocks and not processing more transactions.

Assuming the first statement is true (which is quite the assumption), the second is hilarious!

It's ok to run a DDOS on alt coins now?

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 04:27:29 PM

Also— please take care here, Luke did not roll back anyone's transactions or double-spend or anything like that.  He's simply mining all the blocks and not processing more transactions.

Assuming the first statement is true (which is quite the assumption), the second is hilarious!

Yes it appears so and misuse your users hash power to do it, amazing is it not? The longer this goes on with no reactions against it by the people in a position to make a difference shows just exactly what they are like as well in their lack of action they show their support for what has been done, so are no better than he who has done it in my books. Their obvious lip service to the supposed goals of the bitcoin project of an open and free environment ring as hollow as that lame defense of his actions you quote.

What is your proof that he used miner's resources?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 04:40:02 PM

Yes it appears so and misuse your users hash power to do it, amazing is it not? The longer this goes on with no reactions against it by the people in a position to make a difference shows just exactly what they are like as well. In their lack of action they show their support for what has been done, so are no better than he who has done it in my books. Their obvious lip service to the supposed goals of the bitcoin project of an open and free environment ring as hollow as that lame defense of his actions you quote.

What is your proof that he used miner's resources?

He admitted it in the irc logs that had been posted but since deleted by the mods in support of his actions on here. So you can play your BS proof game elsewhere as it will never see the light of day on this forum and you know that.

So another unsupported claim to "support" your unsupported claim.
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 04:53:05 PM

Fellas! We're on the same side! What's been done is done. Let us hash our way forward, and just keep an eye out for shady dealings.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 05:35:34 PM

TL;DR

I don't know what happened here, and frankly I don't care. That said, pools are the bane of Bitcoin and anyone mining in them can only blame themselves for misuse of their hashing power.

We have the technology to mine with the benefits of a pool without the drawbacks. Maybe it's time to put the decentralization back into Bitcoin mining?

Yes take it your talking about the p2pool? Have you tied it, what is the performance of it like?
Recent updates have made it an excellent alternative to existing pools. For this reason it has gained some good hashrate, and that is making it so much the better Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
dayfall

Activity: 312

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 05:44:22 PM

I agree.  I certainly want to be notified if my client finds a new chain and have the option to keep the old one.  How would we identity different chains?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: