Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:42:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Amazing Acts Of Defiance Throughout History  (Read 5977 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 10:52:35 PM

Most of 'murikan history is whitewashed. Fifty years from now some kids will buy a book that mentions "Bit-Coin was a poorly managed economics experiment filled with observational bias."

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:24:03 PM

Here is another. Meriam Yahya Ibrahim Ishag sentenced to death by stoning, for refusing to convert to Islam. Her husband is an American citizen, but there has been no help from the United States authorities so far.

I don't know all the circumstances about this, but in Shariaa (7th century Islamic law) Stoning is the capital punishment for cheating under marriage and it goes for both the man and woman that were found guilty ( I think to validate this there is need for 4 witness minimum that saw them during the sexual act if the couple (penetration)) also If I remember correctly from what I read even in the Shariaa forcing people to Islam is not allowed. So to resume if these the woman is found guilty and being judged for the supposed crime you are mentioning these guys are criminals even according to their laws and she needs to be released immediately, but I sadly the amount of lies we get to see from our western media makes warry even if sometimes they are telling the truth, I really can't help but feel that something wasn't mentioned here 
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:06:20 AM

The Jews have a history of resistance against the Romans with pretty defiant situations.

Think about Masada (73 CE). Josephus wrote a vivid description, saying that, after a stubborn resistance, the defenders, about 1000, decided to kill them selves in order to avoid being captured alive.
Archaeological findings didn't confirm this numbers, but found structures used by the Romans to breach the walls.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 02:15:29 AM

The Jews have a history of resistance against the Romans with pretty defiant situations.

Think about Masada (73 CE). Josephus wrote a vivid description, saying that, after a stubborn resistance, the defenders, about 1000, decided to kill them selves in order to avoid being captured alive.
Archaeological findings didn't confirm this numbers, but found structures used by the Romans to breach the walls.

Much of the whole suicide theory has been debunked.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
DVFree

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:31:41 AM

Things didn't end there. Xerxes and the Persian army managed to burn Athens and only after the naval battle of Salamis were defeated. Well, actually, after that, Athens was again conquered by the Persians under Mardonius. Only with the battle of Plataea (479 BC) they were expelled from Greece.

The Battle of Plataea is considered as the final major battle during the Persian invasion of Greece. It forms a part of the Persian invasion. So we can say that the Greeks actually defeated the Persians and repelled the invasion. Battle of Plataea was very devastating for the Persians... they lost more than 250,000 men.

That is exciting but horrific. Will mankind ever learn how to avoid brutal wars?

I doubt it.

Humankind is an agressive, territorial and highly combative species.

I can see why you'd say that, however this has proven not to be so. Have a look at the Trap by Adam Curtis, it will very well explain how disturbed notions amplified Hobbes's philosophy in order to create that missconception.
Trading
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:42:37 AM

Josephus was part, and therefore was a direct witness, of a suicidal pact after the fall of Jotapata (Yodfat) (67 CE), where several defenders killed each other. Josephus was the last one, breached the pact, and surrender to the Romans, as he confessed on his book The Wars of the Jews. So, these kind of pacts were common. Maybe the numbers involved were false, but the all history?

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 02:43:57 AM

Josephus was part, and therefore was a direct witness, of a suicidal pact after the fall of Jotapata (Yodfat) (67 CE), where several defenders killed each other. Josephus was the last one, breached the pact, and surrender to the Romans, as he confessed on his book The Wars of the Jews. So, these kind of pacts were common. Maybe the numbers envolved were false, but the all history?

Most of it.

Do your homework.

Corporations For Crypto
Trading
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:46:07 AM

I did. And I quoted my source. The burden of proof is in your side.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:58:49 AM

That is exciting but horrific. Will mankind ever learn how to avoid brutal wars?

Well.. the Persians invaded the Greeks and the Greeks fought back to expel the invaders. How can we blame the Greeks for defending their homeland? As long as there are loonies who want to invade the weaker nations, we will witness similar wars.

As long as we have nations ....
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 03:16:59 AM

I did. And I quoted my source. The burden of proof is in your side.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/biblianazar/esp_biblianazar_56.htm

http://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.premium-1.563888

http://wanderinghebrew.com/2010/07/18/israels-masada-scholars-untease-the-myth-from-the-history/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/portrait/masada.html

Get back to me.

I can get more bu you need to do some work on your own.

Corporations For Crypto
Trading
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:38:07 AM

Thanks for the links.
But I told you, I done my work reading on Masada, including the doubts on Josephus.
I was expecting some new facts, but your links basically give speculation. And none of them negates the mass suicide. We basically don't know what happened.

Yes, the story was changed for political reasons. Some crazy assassins, mostly of fellow Jews, were converted on heroes. But they also resisted the Romans, we don't know how much, and many refused to be taken alive.

It's well known that the archaeologists only found 28 skeletons. But since it's clear that 28 persons, including women and children, couldn't resist the Romans, many bodies are missing. The remains don't refute Josephus, even if some parts of his story, including the speeches, are controversial. But since he was writing on the time of the facts, when many Romans that were there were alive, he couldn't lie much.

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:38:04 AM

The Salt march and getting beating by soldiers with Ghandi that was also defiant in my book.  There is movie on it by the way.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:23:26 AM

The Salt march and getting beating by soldiers with Ghandi that was also defiant in my book.  There is movie on it by the way.

There is a lot of criticism about Ghandi in India. No one should forget the fact that his so called non-cooperation and non-violence campaign only succeed due to the parallel violent uprising led by people such as Subhash Chandra Bose.
murraypaul

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:38:28 AM

But since he was writing on the time of the facts, when many Romans that were there were alive, he couldn't lie much.

If you stop and think about that, it is obviously wrong.
Both sides in a war lie to make their own part look better.
Look at what is happening in the Ukraine now. The Ukranian version and the Russian version can't both be right, can they? So at least one side is lying, and that is with all the modern communication methods we have available now.
Then, Josephus could have said anything he wanted to his own people, chances are the Romans would never have heard about it, and if they had contradicted him, he would have just said that they were lying.

I was expecting some new facts, but your links basically give speculation. And none of them negates the mass suicide. We basically don't know what happened.

Yes, the story was changed for political reasons. Some crazy assassins, mostly of fellow Jews, were converted on heroes. But they also resisted the Romans, we don't know how much, and many refused to be taken alive.

It's well known that the archaeologists only found 28 skeletons. But since it's clear that 28 persons, including women and children, couldn't resist the Romans, many bodies are missing.

If only 28 bodies were found, a reasonably conclusion is that either there weren't any more than that to start with, or that there were, but most of them got away.
You are starting from an assumption that there were a thousand people resisting in the first place. That isn't a known fact.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 09:48:08 AM

But since he was writing on the time of the facts, when many Romans that were there were alive, he couldn't lie much.

Look at what is happening in the Ukraine now. The Ukranian version and the Russian version can't both be right, can they? So at least one side is lying, and that is with all the modern communication methods we have available now.
Then, Josephus could have said anything he wanted to his own people, chances are the Romans would never have heard about it, and if they had contradicted him, he would have just said that they were lying.

It's well known that the archaeologists only found 28 skeletons. But since it's clear that 28 persons, including women and children, couldn't resist the Romans, many bodies are missing.

If only 28 bodies were found, a reasonably conclusion is that either there weren't any more than that to start with, or that there were, but most of them got away.
You are starting from an assumption that there were a thousand people resisting in the first place. That isn't a known fact.

Now don't try to confuse things by brining in FACTS!

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:38:12 PM

tank man blocking tanks after china declared martial law and killed civilians.

burning monk burned himself to death to protest persecution of buddhist monks, he did not move or make a sound.

The worse is part is that there are other people like me and you just watching when they couldve stopped this shit, god............we suck!

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:16:20 PM

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:44:47 PM

That is Mohamed Bouazizi of Tunisia, the street vendor who set himself on fire. The incident triggered the Arab Spring. Feels bad for him... he was just 26 years old when he died.
Trading
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:13:48 PM

Josephus, was a Jew, but defected for the Romans after being captured.
He wrote his book in Italy, not in Palestine, and in Latin for the Romans to read.

The truth is the first casualty in war, but there are limits about how much someone can invent.

The massive ramp he writes about is still there. Would the Romans built that to conquer a place defended by 28 individuals, some of them women and children...

KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:20:06 AM

Chelsea Manning

I'm immature but I always thought of this about her sex change.

Bradley Manning: What you're doing isn't right, I just leaked all your dirty little secrets!
Gov: We'll slap you so hard you'll change your name.
Bradley Manning: I'll take it because I have balls you spineless bureaucrats!
Chelsea Elizabeth Manning: ...

P.S.: I'm all for people identifying with whatever gender they do. Her contribution to our society is of the utmost importance shedding light where there previously was none sparking possible change in our corrupt government. Few people in her position are brave and selfless enough to do likewise.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: