Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:14:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: THE REAL reason why BTC has a slow adoptive rate  (Read 7004 times)
AdamWhite

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:19:13 PM

They should just eliminate "post count" under usernames as it doesn't have much relevance. Many such as myself have been lurking since 2011

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:25:03 PM

iGrow -

Your post describes how the internet was when it first came about.   Its normal.  And it wont amount to a hill of beans in the long run.  These folks are not "the reason" why Bitcoin is slow to adoption.  The reason is lack of user-friendly interfaces.  99.9999999999% of humans dont interact with these "xenophobes" so your entire post is ... unfortunately ... incorrect.  New businesses are working to make BTC easier to transact with, etc.  That's why its slow to adoption.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 04:27:18 PM

They should just eliminate "post count" under usernames as it doesn't have much relevance. Many such as myself have been lurking since 2011

Technically it doesn't show post count.  It shows "Activity" which is actually more relevant.

You can make 1000 posts in one day, but Activity actually shows how long you've been active in the forum.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:28:34 PM

there is an old saying

"The thief has the most locks"

This is indeed a new account.  I am a real person, look me up, this is my actual Company Name...been on the internet since it started. So while "I" am not new, I AM new to bitcoin (but not alternative currencies).  I know a lot because I did in fact take the time to study up on BTC before coming here and posting...however, that doesn't matter to the know-it-alls who feel everyone else is beneath them.

Right, you did take time to study up on BTC huh ?  Roll Eyes

In Dec 2013, you came here asking how you can mine with your web servers.....then disappeared

4 Months later, in April 2014, you came back asking how profit is mining contract.

4months and you still didnt understand or know about mining economy.

Either you're lying about "studying up" or you're dumb as a door knob.

Is it possible for someone to give me fake or stolen bitcoins?

How long do I wait to make sure a BTC is "legit" and truly mine?

Now i know why you keep typing in CAPs like a retard to, look at you:
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:31:39 PM

And here is the proof of you're in "get-rich-quick" scheme and knows jack shit or care about bitcoin or its techonology

I would want it first off to break even.  If it takes a year to break even, then it is not worth it, as there are many other things I can do to make money and get a return faster.

Worth it = making more than I have invested.

Short amout of time...weeks? months?  NOT years.

Are BTC still awarded every 10 mins?

Welcome to my ignore dumbass.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:45:42 PM

there is an old saying

This is indeed a new account.  I am a real person, look me up, this is my actual Company Name...been on the internet since it started. So while "I" am not new, I AM new to bitcoin (but not alternative currencies).  I know a lot because I did in fact take the time to study up on BTC before coming here and posting...however, that doesn't matter to the know-it-alls who feel everyone else is beneath them.

In Dec 2013, you came here asking how you can mine with your web servers.....then disappeared

4 Months later, in April 2014, you came back asking how profit is mining contract.

What's your point with this remark? (Ok I don't get the arms wide pose either)... But at least he is transparent and bold enough to post publicly.

iGROWyourBiz (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:59:12 PM

there is an old saying

http://www.igrowyourbiz.com/images/armswideblackandgold400.png

YES!  LOOK AT ME!  a REAL HUMAN BEING

with a REAL PHONE NUMBER

A REAL BUSINESS - REAL EMPLOYEES - REAL REAL REAL

Not hiding behind anything anonymous

I am a public figure, my life is on display -- you can even come visit me!

Been successful since the BEFORE WEB started!

now, show us YOUR picture!
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:02:17 PM

i love internet "tough guys"

you can just imagine them sipping rock star pounding their fists on the table because it turns them inside out to see others have happy lives.

Sad, sad, sad.   
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:04:14 PM

What's your point with this remark? (Ok I don't get the arms wide pose either)... But at least he is transparent and bold enough to post publicly.

exactly...IF I POST the picture publicly myself...how does that hurt me him posting it here?  bwahahahahahaha!

(the arms wide pose has to do with one of the word pictures I give when doing a speaking engagement on leadership)
BillyBobJoe

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:16:00 PM

Another noob, another dumb post.

OP, going from $0 to $450 in 5 years isn't a slow rate.

I am new around here and could not agree with the OP more.

I also don't think the value of a BTC has anything to do with the adoptive rate in the OP subject.

You were so quick to jump on him I'll bet you didn't even realize how silly your point was.

The price of Bitcoin is not a measure of its adoption rate though

That was exactly my point.
daviducsb

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:31:03 PM

OP, you have a legitimate point that there are a lot of unnecessarily rude and aggressive people on these boards. There are also a lot of racists, anti-semites, and woman haters.

To which I reply: no big deal.

The internet always brings out the cowards. This message board is no different.

I would encourage you not to conflate bitcoin's adaptability with that of some of the aggressive doofusses on here.

That said, there are also intelligent and well reasoned posters on this board.

I say, maybe consider that instead of starting a war with the internet machos, you might be better served by ignoring them. 
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:59:28 PM

The internet always brings out the cowards.

I say, maybe consider that instead of starting a war with the internet machos, you might be better served by ignoring them. 

Indeed

the reality is...this particular thread helps me create a wonderful ignore list Smiley
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:07:46 PM

The OP said slow adoptive rate not slow value growth.

BTC (and other cryptos) have a slow adoptive rate for a few reasons. Here are a few:

1.) It is still really confusing and not newbie/computer newbie friendly. Go ahead, try to teach a 50-year-old about bitcoin in 5 minutes. You can teach a person everything they need to know about a credit card or checking account in 5 minutes, easily. Bitcoin takes hours and many follow-up sessions.

2.) It is still plagued by scams, frauds, and technical issues. The average joe can't be expected to constantly follow forums and reddit threads to learn of when some new exploit is discovered and the wallet needs to be updated right now or you risk losing your coins.

2b.) Updating the wallet properly (including backing it up beforehand and in some cases re-downloading the blockchain) is confusing and scary to newbies and the not-so-computer-literate.

3.) There still isn't a compelling reason for anyone to switch from primarily using fiat to primarily using BTC. It's generally confusing, it costs money (fees and such) and it is risky to acquire, hold, and use BTC (and other cryptos.) The majority of people involved right now are all investors in one sense or another, who are willing to take the risk only because they believe they will make a lot of profit.

3b.) If you disagree with the above, ask yourself - if you were to convince someone to start using bitcoin for the majority of their financial transactions, what argument could you make, other than "it will go up in value so you can make money that way" ... ?
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:15:39 PM

BTC (and other cryptos) have a slow adoptive rate for a few reasons. Here are a few:

1.) It is still really confusing and not newbie/computer newbie friendly. Go ahead, try to teach a 50-year-old about bitcoin in 5 minutes. You can teach a person everything they need to know about a credit card or checking account in 5 minutes, easily. Bitcoin takes hours and many follow-up sessions.

2.) It is still plagued by scams, frauds, and technical issues. The average joe can't be expected to constantly follow forums and reddit threads to learn of when some new exploit is discovered and the wallet needs to be updated right now or you risk losing your coins.

2b.) Updating the wallet properly (including backing it up beforehand and in some cases re-downloading the blockchain) is confusing and scary to newbies and the not-so-computer-literate.

3.) There still isn't a compelling reason for anyone to switch from primarily using fiat to primarily using BTC. It's generally confusing, it costs money (fees and such) and it is risky to acquire, hold, and use BTC (and other cryptos.) The majority of people involved right now are all investors in one sense or another, who are willing to take the risk only because they believe they will make a lot of profit.

3b.) If you disagree with the above, ask yourself - if you were to convince someone to start using bitcoin for the majority of their financial transactions, what argument could you make, other than "it will go up in value so you can make money that way" ... ?

I agree 100% with those things.  and the bottom line is the SOLUTIONS to those are going to be found within AND WITHOUT the community.

The people who can provide the solutions - like the 50 year old successful and wealthy entrepreneur/investor/professional - is not going to bother with on their first session getting flamed to death by 12 year old know it alls.

PEOPLE (not technology in and of itself) is the solution to all the barriers.  And if xenophobes keep running away those that don't sit and mine 24/7, build PCs and other uber techie behaviours...the adoption rate will continue to stagnate.

For those who say it is "only a few years"....in this day and age, there should have been WIDESPREAD adoption by now.  (look at social networks and other payment platforms).   Look at DWOLLA -- just as revolutionary, started around the same time - facing GREATER HURDLES...yet....greater adoption rate (on less publicity).   Granted - not open source and does not require the technical acumen -- but I remember when the ONLY place to buy a domain was Network solutions. You had to pay for TWO YEARS at $50 per year. PLUS a $50 setup fee.   And YOU NEEDED to be a techie to set up all A, mx, CNAME etc records with a plain interface. Yet within a few years, there were competitors and better interfaces and widespread adoption.

The "problems" are normal...the "community" is not.
daviducsb

Activity: 155

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:51:55 PM

I would counter that this board is not really reflective of the bitcoin community. This particular venue, while not uniform, is heavily skewed towards its more reactionary and outspoken members.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 08:29:19 PM

For those who say it is "only a few years"....in this day and age, there should have been WIDESPREAD adoption by now.  (look at social networks and other payment platforms).   Look at DWOLLA -- just as revolutionary, started around the same time - facing GREATER HURDLES...yet....greater adoption rate (on less publicity).   Granted - not open source and does not require the technical acumen -- but I remember when the ONLY place to buy a domain was Network solutions. You had to pay for TWO YEARS at $50 per year. PLUS a $50 setup fee.   And YOU NEEDED to be a techie to set up all A, mx, CNAME etc records with a plain interface. Yet within a few years, there were competitors and better interfaces and widespread adoption.

DWOLLA got popular because of Bitcoin. Then we learned that Dwolla was just as reversible as the rest of the Banking system.

Major change happens slowly. People thought the .com boom changed the rules; but the crash at the end of the last century proved that was not the case. Bitcoin proves that "Know your customer" laws are a human rights issue. The average person can possibly console themselves that they are not likely to run into the reporting limits (that are no longer actually hard limits).

Bitcoin is also not ready for mass adoption. At an minimum, multi-party signatures have to be easy enough to use in a privacy-respecting way (meaning with a new address for every transaction). The network is still limited to about 7 transactions per second as well. If it goes "big" as-is: it will replace wire transfers, and not much else.

It took the industrial revolution about 300-400 years to happen after the invention of the printing press made the dissemination of information cheap and efficient. The governments in power fought the change: inventing copyright law to slow the spread of information. The agricultural revolution probably took a similar amount of time, if not longer. The invention of networked computers will lead to the information revolution if we don't kill ourselves first. I don't expect it to complete in my life-time.  Sadly, many never learn the new technology. The old generations have to die off before truly revolutionary change is accepted.

Bitcoin is a revolutionary experiment. It is the "first secure networked application ever created in the history of computers." (Out-of-context Bruce Schneier quote) Governments and banks will attack it through legal and technical means. It may only have a small niche over the next 50 years. If that happens, it will be OK: because it is just an experiment.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:33:27 PM

I agree 100% with those things.  and the bottom line is the SOLUTIONS to those are going to be found within AND WITHOUT the community.

The people who can provide the solutions - like the 50 year old successful and wealthy entrepreneur/investor/professional - is not going to bother with on their first session getting flamed to death by 12 year old know it alls.

PEOPLE (not technology in and of itself) is the solution to all the barriers.  And if xenophobes keep running away those that don't sit and mine 24/7, build PCs and other uber techie behaviours...the adoption rate will continue to stagnate.

For those who say it is "only a few years"....in this day and age, there should have been WIDESPREAD adoption by now.  (look at social networks and other payment platforms).   Look at DWOLLA -- just as revolutionary, started around the same time - facing GREATER HURDLES...yet....greater adoption rate (on less publicity).   Granted - not open source and does not require the technical acumen -- but I remember when the ONLY place to buy a domain was Network solutions. You had to pay for TWO YEARS at $50 per year. PLUS a $50 setup fee.   And YOU NEEDED to be a techie to set up all A, mx, CNAME etc records with a plain interface. Yet within a few years, there were competitors and better interfaces and widespread adoption.

The "problems" are normal...the "community" is not.

I don't think the community is the issue... and it was never a "selling point of bitcoin" as you say.
Its great to shoot for the moon as far as adoption,but in addition to the security and user issues,
there is definitely a segment of society that wants bitcoin to fail and go away.  The big losers
will be the credit card companies, money transmitters (western union), central banks, etc

wittonline

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 10:58:17 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2014, 11:19:34 PM by wittonline

The problem is, many new posters (on any internet forum) are just lazy and don't want to put forth any effort learning something and instead just have someone tell them what to do.  People who put forth effort learning don't feel like rewarding lazy people.  Your post is claiming the people who respond to the "noobs" are the problem.  Why are the lazy people trying to figure out how to get "free money" not a problem?

Wow. I've been involved with bitcoin for almost a year now, have several thousands of hours invested, and owned my own businesses for the last 18 years, after leaving a corp marketing gig in the mid-90s. I've not spent a lot of time on this site, but I have found it valuable for industry news, info, and personal views. Let me say, if you epitomize the sr members here though, it's no damn wonder people in this thread feel the way they do! You are looking at this completely @55 backwards. I don't mean to single you out either, this really is meant for a larger sect.

Obviously you, and many others here, have no idea what an adoption rate entails, or all the socioeconomic factors that have to come together in the market to actually be a success, let alone with a brand new technology (Internet Protocol) that is in many ways, creating a whole new market. I think it might be best that you post less, in circumstances like this.  Cool Or you can continue cutting your nose away to spite your face, a tiny little bit at a time.

How can it possibly matter? Because of the power of leverage and geometric progression. We ALL matter at this point, so shape up!  I could care less what YOUR return has been on your btc, and when you got your so-called "free money."  What a ridiculous term btw. I for one, want to see Bitcoin gain 10% share of the Forex market and change the world forever. Capisce? And, if that happens with us all working 'together' you won't be so worried about who's got how many bitcoin and how many hours they've logged.

I mean, what the hell do you think the primary purpose of a forum is anyway? Here's a hint; it's not so you can see your words in public, show off to others that could care less about you, or an opportunity for you to be condescending towards someone else, while in some weird way make yourself feel better or empowered.

This goes for others here, that do the same thing.
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:10:00 PM

The problem is, many new posters (on any internet forum) are just lazy and don't want to put forth any effort learning something and instead just have someone tell them what to do.  People who put forth effort learning don't feel like rewarding lazy people.  Your post is claiming the people who respond to the "noobs" are the problem.  Why are the lazy people trying to figure out how to get "free money" not a problem?

Wow. I've been involved with bitcoin for almost a year now, and owned my own businesses for 18 years total. I've not spent a lot of time here, but I have found it valuable for news, info, and personal views. If you epitomize the elders here though, it's no damn wonder people in this thread feel the way they do!

Obviously you have no idea what an adoption rate entails, or all the socioeconomic factors that have to come together in the market to actually be a success, let alone with a brand new technology (Internet Protocol) that is in many ways, creating a whole new market. I think it's best you post less in circumstances like this.  Cool Or you can continue cutting your nose away to spite your face, a tiny little bit at a time.

I mean, what the hell do you think the primary purpose of a forum is anyway? Here's a hint; it's not so you can see your words in public, show off to others that could care less about you, or an opportunity for you to be condescending towards someone else, while in some weird way make yourself feel better or empowered.

This goes for others here, that do the same thing.

thank you witt

you wrote the "nice" summary of this thread
fiftytwo

Activity: 38

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:16:14 PM

Sweet old times, I remember lurking on hackbb and onionforum, talking about different topics before being invaded by kids.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: