Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:26:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Major Bitcoin Heists, Thefts, Hacks, Scams, and Losses  (Read 87464 times)
shmoula

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 08:20:59 AM

Well, I think it's not early anymore - CT is filthy scam! Some news at CT thread.

Seems like good news!

Announcement Update!

There has been a slight change in our closure procedure.Instead of closing CT forever, we have decided to reopen CT after 3 months with a completely new development team and management staff.Till then your balance will remain with us if not withdrawn by 29th Jan.

The new management team will contact all users and shareholders in near future.Feel free to contact us at ctnewteam@crypto-trade.com.Thank you for understanding.

It's a bit early to call it a mintpal scam yet
But it's worth keeping track of this for a while longer in my opinion

Habbeat - beat your habits more effective way!!!
Always empty box(no cat also no coin): 1SHM1tiur2iNBCVxCBr7vAJ84PrPZ6d6v

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
killerjoegreece
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1007

Professional Native Greek Translator (2000+ done)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 08:44:14 AM

wow that is a lot of money stolen. these things need to stop if btc is to go far.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:31:46 AM

wow that is a lot of money stolen. these things need to stop if btc is to go far.

The sad part is it's one theft after another, and then people wonder why outsiders feel Bitcoin is a scam. It's because 99% of the Bitcoin-related things ARE scams. Even if you look in the securities section on these forums, you'll find that nearly every business is going to bet at a net loss for perpetuity, and that's excluding those that are clear scams to begin with.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:39:44 AM

The sad part is it's one theft after another, and then people wonder why outsiders feel Bitcoin is a scam. It's because 99% of the Bitcoin-related things ARE scams. Even if you look in the securities section on these forums, you'll find that nearly every business is going to bet at a net loss for perpetuity, and that's excluding those that are clear scams to begin with.

I don't know what do you people expect? We live in a dirty world where people will come face to face to you and try to steal from you. Can we really expect the people will do this less when we allow them to hide behind their computer and to try and steal from the other part of the world? I don't think so.

Bitcoin will just need to be strong enough to bear this weight on its shoulders as well and to win in the end nevertheless. People scammed and will scam in the future, with Bitcoin or without!
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:40:54 AM

I don't know what do you people expect? We live in a dirty world where people will come face to face to you and try to steal from you. Can we really expect the people will do this less when we allow them to hide behind their computer and to try and steal from the other part of the world? I don't think so.

Bitcoin will just need to be strong enough to bear this weight on its shoulders as well and to win in the end nevertheless. People scammed and will scam in the future, with Bitcoin or without!

With normal scams, people go to prison. With Bitcoin, almost nobody is ever caught due to being anonymous (to an extent). You're comparing two very different animals.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Trouble821

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:25:58 AM

With normal scams, people go to prison. With Bitcoin, almost nobody is ever caught due to being anonymous (to an extent). You're comparing two very different animals.

Once in a blue moon a scammer gets charged with something. The Moolah/Mintpal guy was charged with scamming, but he's still on the run as far as I know. When he finally resurfaces he'll get sent to prison for all those Bitcoins he stole. We occasionally get some justice, but most scammers are anonymous and never get caught.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 11:05:07 AM

No they don't go always to prison, especially with Internet crimes, but I do agree with what you are saying to some extent. With the Internet came new opportunities for scamming. People steal millions by stealing credit card numbers online. People steal millions by hacking accounts, informations etc. All this happens daily and majority never gets caught and they are still at large.

Authorities are doing their best to protect us. With new technologies come new challenges and people will need to learn to deal with these new situations.

Bitcoin is young, everybody are lost and don't know how to react yet in Bitcoin space, sometimes not even bitcoiners. The same situation is with the authorities.
Timelord2067
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2217

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:51:33 PM

Without a doubt the Quickseller / Panthers52 / Tomatocage and extraKrispy scam by (as Default Trust) leaving negative feedback / trust and then offering their own Alt's up as escrow thus taking the mark-up on BTC sales and the escrow fee would have to fall into scam / fraud and extortion all in one?

More names of Alt's or other's who are (or were) on the default Trust (DT) list as I become aware of them.

Quickseller / Panthers52 / Tomatocage and extraKrispy scam ref: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=855778.msg12402622#msg12402622

BitcoinBoss666

Activity: 124

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 10:13:37 PM

Without a doubt the Quickseller / Panthers52 / Tomatocage and extraKrispy scam by (as Default Trust) leaving negative feedback / trust and then offering their own Alt's up as escrow thus taking the mark-up on BTC sales and the escrow fee would have to fall into scam / fraud and extortion all in one?

More names of Alt's or other's who are (or were) on the default Trust (DT) list as I become aware of them.

Quickseller / Panthers52 / Tomatocage and extraKrispy scam ref: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=855778.msg12402622#msg12402622
Remember to add VOD to this list.
He think he god here and abuse trust system really hard.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 10:50:32 PM

ACTIVEmining. He's been found guilty of breaking a bunch of securities rules by the Missouri Securities Division (misleading investors, failing to make good on promises etc) and has been issued fines of over $30000. He is also supposed to reimburse all investors for IPO value of shares. So far he has ignored these charges and refuses to cooperate even his lawyer fired him!
The deadline for paying his fine is coming up (can't remember if it's end sept or oct) but he's nowhere to be found. If he doesn't pay the fines it goes to the federal level and he will see jail time and a disgorgement of funds. The FBI will be tasked with hunting his sorry ass down.
There was some debate wether he was an outright scam or just in readable incompetent but his behaviour regarding the legal matters and his responsibilities to his shareholders (and the state of Missouri) lean pretty hard toward scammer
stuff0577

Activity: 138

More stuff will come.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 11:15:32 PM

Wow very nice post. I put some awareness with me. thanks with the list.  Grin

DAILAI Peer-to-peer micro transport services
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 11:17:32 PM

ACTIVEmining. He's been found guilty of breaking a bunch of securities rules by the Missouri Securities Division (misleading investors, failing to make good on promises etc) and has been issued fines of over $30000. He is also supposed to reimburse all investors for IPO value of shares. So far he has ignored these charges and refuses to cooperate even his lawyer fired him!
The deadline for paying his fine is coming up (can't remember if it's end sept or oct) but he's nowhere to be found. If he doesn't pay the fines it goes to the federal level and he will see jail time and a disgorgement of funds. The FBI will be tasked with hunting his sorry ass down.
There was some debate wether he was an outright scam or just in readable incompetent but his behaviour regarding the legal matters and his responsibilities to his shareholders (and the state of Missouri) lean pretty hard toward scammer

I have the feeling these securities fraud accusations are going to come up a lot as the government starts taking a more active role in BTC. Almost any company selling shares on these forums is guilty of the same.

Timelord2067
Legendary

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 05:24:27 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2015, 06:23:42 AM by Timelord2067

Remember to add VOD to this list.
He think he god here and abuse trust system really hard.

Vod has given Quickseller and Panthers52 negative trust but not , Tomatocage or extraKrispy...

...and I see s/he gave you negative trust back in July for not paying back a loan??.  There'll be a whole lot of default trust resets occurring over the next few weeks me thinks.

2nd edit ACCTseller is another alt of Quickseller... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1171059.0

3rd edit QS banned is another Alt of Quickseller https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1171059.msg12332658#msg12332658

mescalito

Activity: 349
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 04:02:49 PM

So the owner of bitcoin7 has never been identified? It seems he is a pro scammer Smiley
Timelord2067
Legendary

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 03:37:42 AM

So the owner of bitcoin7 has never been identified? It seems he is a pro scammer Smiley

Not on the list of here -->  Known alts of anyone: User generated https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1206112.0 - any info you have? I'll see if I can find out anything...  Grin

mescalito

Activity: 349
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 09:56:58 AM

Basically the only info I found is in this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17043.175
The founder of Bitcoin7 is going to be a speaker at a presentation of bitcoin in Sofia(Bulgaria).....
How do you have moral to show yourself at bitcoin presentation after "loosing" all the coins of your customer.
This is the url https://coinwisdomsofia.com/ (you can check him at the speakers section)...
BTW from the info I remember about the hack, I held around 1/10 of BTC there Roll Eyes
update: I saw the page in wap view, now I see the founders name on the pic, way better now
defined

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 10:21:26 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2016, 02:25:59 PM by defined

Bitcoin is like cash: do not trust it to anyone you do not know.
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 12:25:09 PM

1.I recovered all my alt coins from Mintpal after it closed. Did others lose?
2.There was the other infamous Mintpal incident where the exchanges and mining pools rolled back a blockchain to recover stolen coins. Was it Vericoin?
3.Polo had coins stolen (2013?) but Busoni worked and paid them all back.
4.C-cex had coins stolen not long before the Polo incident. Some BTC and some Darkcoin which I think were transferred to Polo(?) and dumped
Timelord2067
Legendary

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 11:21:36 PM

Basically the only info I found is in this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17043.175
The founder of Bitcoin7 is going to be a speaker at a presentation of bitcoin in Sofia(Bulgaria).....
How do you have moral to show yourself at bitcoin presentation after "loosing" all the coins of your customer.
This is the url https://coinwisdomsofia.com/ (you can check him at the speakers section)...
BTW from the info I remember about the hack, I held around 1/10 of BTC there Roll Eyes
update: I saw the page in wap view, now I see the founders name on the pic, way better now

I feel 2011 is like digging for dinosaurs I'm afraid to say.  I did have a chuckle at the third post however...

1 BTC is $1USD not bad!

Timelord2067
Legendary

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
March 27, 2016, 11:56:51 PM

jkminkov started a bitcoin7.com thread three and a half hours prior to the one yeponlyone started that you referred to.

15 June 2011, 08:18:25 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17004.0 http://archive.is/3Vok8

15 June 2011, 10:45:38 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17043.0 http://archive.is/tfZF8

Both now archived in full (using the
Code:
;all
toggle) for future reference.

Name:    jkminkov
Activity:    454
Position:    Sr. Member
Date Registered:    05 March 2011, 22:14:01
Last Active:    25 March 2016, 01:21:12

Name:    yeponlyone
Activity:    504
Position:    Hero Member
Date Registered:    14 May 2011, 05:49:48
Last Active:    30 December 2015, 07:36:30

Bitcoin7.com https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=22480

Name:    Bitcoin7.com
Activity:    29
Position:    Newbie
Date Registered:    12 June 2011, 23:08:43
Last Active:    04 October 2011, 01:31:44

Bitcoin7.com registers three days earlier than both threads so that fits in with yeponlyone saying s/he was contacted...

Hey everyone, I just got a PM from new user, bitcoin7.com, telling me about their new exchange, I've checked it out some and boy does it look classy!
Check it out for yourselves, and if we could, would it be possible to whitelist the user so they can give a proper introduction themself?

www.bitcoin7.com

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: