Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:31:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GRIDSEED G-BLADE Overclocking 7Mh/s, improvements and repair  (Read 74036 times)
J4bberwock (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:52:45 PM

Hi J4bberwock

Thanks for your procedure! I stepped succesfully trough it, only after the programming and verify succesfull, I powertoggled the device, removed the serial and boot stuff and connected it to USB again but still get the device not recognized warning, there are no leds on.

any thoughts?
is it possible that Gridseed protected the devices, so the binary is encoded and not poratble?

When the RDP (read protection) option is active, the only command that is allowed is the "Permanent Readout Unprotect" command (which erases all of the Flash).
So while the protection is enabled, it should not be possible to download programs to RAM and run them

edit: found the answer to the protection question

Hi, sorry for the late answer, I only check this thread once in a while.

I don't know why it's still not recognized.

Did you try to extract the flash from the not recognized blade and make a crc comparison with the one I uploaded?

Also, what revision are your blades?
Mine were the first batch sold.
I received them the day after they were out.
That shouldn't change anything, but check it just in case.
You can use the same method to extract the firmware from one of your working blades and flash it to the defective one in case they would be different revisions.

Last thing, do you have the exact same STM32 chip?
It needs to be a STM32F103 RCT6

Worst case, I'll send you one of my chips with the firmware already flashed in it to test.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
uncIII

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 09:18:09 AM

Hello!!!

My gridseed g-blade lost the AFB26, I start it and it burns down.

Can i get it work if  i replace the fuse with CRCW08050000Z0EAHP.

BTRG

LM
J4bberwock (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 10:16:38 AM

Hello!!!

BTRG

LM

Hi, it's the one next to the usb plug, so something went wrong on the USB side of the board.
BTW, it's a Ferrite Bead, not a fuse.
The Zero ohm resistor you referenced should work, at least as a temporary fix to test if the rest of the board is ok..
Using a ferrite bead like one of these should be better for long term safety. (0805 size, 300 ohm@100Mhz, 1.5 or 2 or 3 amp)
http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-search/en?pv66=5&pv66=6&FV=fff40034%2Cfff802ab%2C400006%2C13440073&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
There may still be some damages elsewhere on the USB side of the board.
As I'm not monitoring this thread, don't hesitate to send me a PM if you need more help.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
uncIII

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 01:38:11 PM

Hello!!!

BTRG

LM

Hi, it's the one next to the usb plug, so something went wrong on the USB side of the board.
BTW, it's a Ferrite Bead, not a fuse.
The Zero ohm resistor you referenced should work, at least as a temporary fix to test if the rest of the board is ok..
Using a ferrite bead like one of these should be better for long term safety. (0805 size, 300 ohm@100Mhz, 1.5 or 2 or 3 amp)
http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-search/en?pv66=5&pv66=6&FV=fff40034%2Cfff802ab%2C400006%2C13440073&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
There may still be some damages elsewhere on the USB side of the board.
As I'm not monitoring this thread, don't hesitate to send me a PM if you need more help.

Thanks
I look the all board but no more damages.
I hope i will get it work if i change it.

SS
LM
Lumanet

Activity: 46

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 04:31:48 AM

HI guys,

ok I just bought myself a Gridseed blade and will overclock it to much more than you guys have right now.I  did work with others on overclocking the 5 chip to a now very stable 1050 I can post details if interested. I did also build a Raspberry PI solution to manage PIPe build of stacked 10 Gridseeds in a tube with 2 fan's for cooling only to maximize efficiency.

regards

Olaf

Lumanet Solar Energy LLC
We do sell too :-) 
Lumanet

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 08:11:17 PM

Hi, I bought a Blade which is modified with 35v 220uf capacitor, 43k ohm resistor 0.1 +/-, 2 custom heat sinks attached on the rear of each power board, passive heatsinks on the all Mosfets and chokes.

I'm using a 750w PSU to power it as well as 2 stock unmodified Gridseed blades. I only had it running for a couple hours when the PSU shut down. I looked at the modified blade and there are scorch marks between the Barrel connector and USB port, the chip that visibly appears to be fried is the one between the USB and Barrel port labelled AFR26.

Pics of the blades below:

http://i59.tinypic.com/50i9dz.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/10f6ip5.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/2udxgcp.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/212sq68.jpg

As the mosfets and chokes, etc all have heatsinks on them I can't see what else is fried from a quick inspection. Would this have been caused by overclocking too much? I set the clocks between 1000mhz and 1038mhz which the seller said they run stable at.

I can do a bit of soldering so if anyone can guide me on where I can get the components I can probably fix it myself. Also do you recommend I change anything else that hasn't been modified to improve it, i.e barrel connector, heatsink, etc.

Also one of the barrel power connectors from the PSU has its plastic melted slightly but the connector itself looks fine and there are no burn marks on it.

OK the Part AFB26 which burned out is an 300ohm@100MHz,1.5A size 0805.  I just ordered 100+ of those so if you need any parts than E-mail me at store@lumanet.info we are also custom rebuilding those and other Gridseed units.  Currently we replace the standard Power with a much better version to reduce heat and improve efficiency.  I can email photos .... let me try to upload one here :

http://i61.tinypic.com/231dhe.jpg

And swap out the resistor down to 40K Ohm :-)   or you better also replace the mosfet.
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 05:44:14 AM

Hi, I bought a Blade which is modified with 35v 220uf capacitor, 43k ohm resistor 0.1 +/-, 2 custom heat sinks attached on the rear of each power board, passive heatsinks on the all Mosfets and chokes.

I'm using a 750w PSU to power it as well as 2 stock unmodified Gridseed blades. I only had it running for a couple hours when the PSU shut down. I looked at the modified blade and there are scorch marks between the Barrel connector and USB port, the chip that visibly appears to be fried is the one between the USB and Barrel port labelled AFR26.

Pics of the blades below:

As the mosfets and chokes, etc all have heatsinks on them I can't see what else is fried from a quick inspection. Would this have been caused by overclocking too much? I set the clocks between 1000mhz and 1038mhz which the seller said they run stable at.

I can do a bit of soldering so if anyone can guide me on where I can get the components I can probably fix it myself. Also do you recommend I change anything else that hasn't been modified to improve it, i.e barrel connector, heatsink, etc.

Also one of the barrel power connectors from the PSU has its plastic melted slightly but the connector itself looks fine and there are no burn marks on it.

All I can say is ,,, JUNK! Why is anyone wasting their time on these way under performing stable overclocking wannabe not so well thought out or engineered rush to market quick made crap by GrimeSeed? Magic Black Smoke makers! POOF! Cheesy
I loved the 5 chippers. Had a ton of them, very stable little things. But the blades were made to run at their recommended speed for a reason! Because they are generally not stable at all when overclocked! I mean, look at the mess of junk you have to throw on them just to keep them from going in to melt down in the first place...
If you can get your money back because the seller mus-represented it as stable, do so.
Then don't waste any more time or money on GS Blades. Try the Zeus miners. Much more bang for the buck and very stable machines, at least the ones that were made and wired right in the first place when they were brand new!
If you are really in to experimenting when them, then go for it. But I think you're wasting your time.
Good luck!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
Lumanet

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:51:23 AM

All I can say is ,,, JUNK! Why is anyone wasting their time on these way under performing stable overclocking wannabe not so well thought out or engineered rush to market quick made crap by GrimeSeed? Magic Black Smoke makers! POOF! Cheesy
I loved the 5 chippers. Had a ton of them, very stable little things. But the blades were made to run at their recommended speed for a reason! Because they are generally not stable at all when overclocked! I mean, look at the mess of junk you have to throw on them just to keep them from going in to melt down in the first place...
If you can get your money back because the seller mus-represented it as stable, do so.
Then don't waste any more time or money on GS Blades. Try the Zeus miners. Much more bang for the buck and very stable machines, at least the ones that were made and wired right in the first place when they were brand new!
If you are really in to experimenting when them, then go for it. But I think you're wasting your time.
Good luck!

[/quote]

Zeus Huh Really ??  We got stable 400 units of Gridseed 6 MHz tuned as shown. And each unit consume less than 100 Watt.
Zeus is history and Gridseed is still kicking. SFards.com if you don't believe it check it out.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 01:21:28 PM

Good luck!

Zeus Huh Really ??  We got stable 400 units of Gridseed 6 MHz tuned as shown. And each unit consume less than 100 Watt.
Zeus is history and Gridseed is still kicking. SFards.com if you don't believe it check it out.
[/quote]

Used Zeus cards are GREAT in comparison to the blades, any day! Zeus gives way more bang for the buck where hash rate per $ goes right out of the box and do not require tedious and wasteful modifications to squeeze more hashes out of! PERIOD!
Boast all you want. Blades BURN UP when overclocked. They NEVER were worth the money from day one!

Lumanet

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:13:24 PM

You still don't have a clue LOL.  Waste your money and time on Zeus while we go with Gridseeds which now are SFarts. Cant' wait for the new chip to come into our labs.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 04:38:45 PM

You still don't have a clue LOL.  Waste your money and time on Zeus while we go with Gridseeds which now are SFarts. Cant' wait for the new chip to come into our labs.

You need to learn how to READ, fool! The comparison is between GS Blade 5.2MH vs 5MHS per card of which there are 2 per heat sink = 10MHS WITH ZERO MODS! I LOVE the 5 chip pods! Started out with them. Anyway....NO ARGUMENT POSSIBLE THERE! KEEP TRYING TO BE RIGHT! GOOD LUCK!

Lumanet

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:04:48 PM

Maybe this is why I do own and operate a Data Center with my own mining rigs.

We pay 25 USD per Gridseed Blade and making per unit around $1 currently per day in profit after electric costs. Try to beat that.

One thing you have to learn is upfront Investment with ROI if you don't do this right you pay out of your own pocket.

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 06:19:03 PM

Maybe this is why I do own and operate a Data Center with my own mining rigs.

We pay 25 USD per Gridseed Blade and making per unit around $1 currently per day in profit after electric costs. Try to beat that.

One thing you have to learn is upfront Investment with ROI if you don't do this right you pay out of your own pocket.

Again, you're just trying to be right! My client's Zues miners hit ROI month$ ago! It'$ ALL PROFIT BABY! SORRY BUT YOU CANNOT BEAT THAT!
Oh, and there is no way that 5.2MHS will earn $1 per day! Don't be ridiculous! You mean more like 40c to 50c per day if that! And that is IF You can keep them from overheating TRYING to keep up with ANY ZEUS miner running at STOCK SPEED!

Mister_Fix

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 09:57:41 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2015, 10:55:28 AM by Mister_Fix

Hello everyone, i have been reading this thread from page 1 - 25 until my brains exploded, it's definetly awesome to read all of your progress but the stuff you do is way over my limit, i know basic electronics and i just got my G-Blade a few days ago.
So at stock 600 MHz it mines at a puny 3.2 MH/s (WTF?? why??)
When overcloking to 838 MHz one blade works at a fairly low amount of H/W errors but the second one gets quite a lot of them, so i underclocked it a little to 825 MHz to make it happy, but anyway back to topic, i wanted to get the most i possible could out of my blade by replacing that lame power jack with a screw terminal (or just fuckin' soldering wires directly to the blades) and i also want to add heatsinks to all of the overheating part, my question is, that if i do all of that, will that make my miner a little more stable with less hardware errors? and also, i might just do the simple version of J4bberwock's voltage mod (just the 39k resistor) but the problem is that i definetly don't have the right equiptment or the money for the right equipment to do SMD soldering, so do you think a thru-hole 39k 5% tolorance resistor will work?
Also, at some point i overread that @J4bberwock connects his miners to the 6 pin PCIe connectors of a high quality ATX PSU, and after a simple google search it seems like EVERYONE connects their miners to the PCIe connector, is there a specific reason why?
Sorry for bombarding with questions, i'm really anxious to know what i can do!!
(The amount of times i edited this post is too damn high!!!)
Lumanet

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 03:30:17 PM

Hello everyone, i have been reading this thread from page 1 - 25 until my head exploded, it's definetly awesome to read all of your progress but the stuff you do is way over my limit, i know basic electronics and i just got my G-Blade a few days ago.
At stock 600 MHz it mines at a puny 3.2 MH/s (WTF??)
When overcloking to 838 MHz one blade works at a fairly low amount of H/W errors but the second one gets quite a lot of them, so i underclocked it a little to 800 MHz to make it happy, but anyway back to topic, i wanted to get the most i possible could out of my blade by replacing that lame power jack with a screw terminal (or just fuckin' soldering wires directly to the blade) and i also want to add heatsinks to all of the overheating part, my question is, that if i do all of that, will that make my miner a little more stable with less hardware errors? and also, i might just do the simple version of J4bberwock's voltage mod (just the 39k resistor) but the problem is that i definetly have the right equiptment or the money for the right equipment to do SMD soldering, so do you think a thru-hole 39k resistor will work?
Also, at some point i overread that @J4bberwock connects his miners to the 6 pin PCIe connectors on a high quality ATX PSU, and after a simple google search it seems like EVERYONE does that, is there a specific reason why?

Morning ,

my name is Olaf Becker and I am the owner of LSE.Solar. So first of all if you do have a thin soldering iron you can do this work all by yourself.
2nd of all if you want all the parts please reach out to us. We do sell those in set's I will post those parts you need onto our Shop and you can buy those from us without missing a single peace :-)
Also if you do have a Dremel we can show you with a think drillbit how to replace this cheap jack with srew down Terminal like I shown above in pictures. Importance there is you drill exact otherwise you can shorten the circuits.

http://www.LSE.Solar

regards

Olaf
Lumanet

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 05:57:05 PM

Hello everyone, i have been reading this thread from page 1 - 25 until my head exploded, it's definetly awesome to read all of your progress but the stuff you do is way over my limit, i know basic electronics and i just got my G-Blade a few days ago.
At stock 600 MHz it mines at a puny 3.2 MH/s (WTF??)
When overcloking to 838 MHz one blade works at a fairly low amount of H/W errors but the second one gets quite a lot of them, so i underclocked it a little to 800 MHz to make it happy, but anyway back to topic, i wanted to get the most i possible could out of my blade by replacing that lame power jack with a screw terminal (or just fuckin' soldering wires directly to the blade) and i also want to add heatsinks to all of the overheating part, my question is, that if i do all of that, will that make my miner a little more stable with less hardware errors? and also, i might just do the simple version of J4bberwock's voltage mod (just the 39k resistor) but the problem is that i definetly have the right equiptment or the money for the right equipment to do SMD soldering, so do you think a thru-hole 39k resistor will work?
Also, at some point i overread that @J4bberwock connects his miners to the 6 pin PCIe connectors on a high quality ATX PSU, and after a simple google search it seems like EVERYONE does that, is there a specific reason why?

ATX are CHEAP !!! So that's the main reason why. But if you do have a few of those like we do. We use our own produced PSU and breaker boards which allow you to hook up to 4units to 1 PSU + Breakerboard. If you want we can post photos too.

The 12V RAIL is the key. most PSU's have a low 12v RAIL if you want to run it 24/7 go and get a Server PSU those units are build for 24/7 operation.

We sell those also at http://www.LSE.Solar

Olaf
Mister_Fix

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:00:56 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2015, 06:12:19 PM by Mister_Fix

ATX are CHEAP !!! So that's the main reason why. But if you do have a few of those like we do. We use our own produced PSU and breaker boards which allow you to hook up to 4units to 1 PSU + Breakerboard. If you want we can post photos too.

The 12V RAIL is the key. most PSU's have a low 12v RAIL if you want to run it 24/7 go and get a Server PSU those units are build for 24/7 operation.

Olaf

i was talking specificlly about the 6pin connector, everyone how uses an ATX PSU connects their miners to the 6 pin connector, any reason why?
and yes please do show me some pics
Lumanet

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:23:30 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2015, 06:35:10 PM by Lumanet

Olaf

i was talking specificlly about the 6pic connector, everyone how uses an ATX PSU connects their miners to the 6 pin connector, any reason why?
and yes please do show me some pics

Inside of the PSU so for example the ATX PSU the 12V Rail is accessed best over the 6pin or 8 pin connectors.

https://www.lumanetsolarenergy.com/image/cache/data/Lumanet/LSE-DPS-800BG-MC/Photo%20May%2003,%202%2012%2001%20PM-500x500.jpg

This is an example how we do run our Antminer S3 powered.

https://www.lumanetsolarenergy.com/image/cache/data/HP/DPS-800BG/3979233600_1325923819-500x500.jpg

The main thing you look for the on an PSU is the 12V RAIL. In Picture above I red marked it for you. As more AMP you have on your Rail as more security / safty you build in that your PSU won't burn up and cause a potential fire.
So a GridSeed Blade only uses 100Watt maybe 120-140Watt if extreme overclocked. The other thing Jabberwork can also confirm is the AMP draw over those thinner ATX Cables cause heat on the Cable so as more you use in parallel as less heat you have on the cable. This is one reason why I highly recommend to go full on 14G-12G 120V Cable with solid copper core like shown in the picture. Those cables can take a BIG Load without producing the heat because they are solid copper. Also an very important factor which nobody tells you here is HEAT means you loose energy and efficiency. Not much but it ends up if you do run it like we do in Data Center settings.

So do your math :

12V and 100Watt  = 8.33 AMP

Yes you see it right one Gridseed Blade alone draws on DC Volt over 8 Amp. So we normally do have up to 4 units on 1 PSU so 32AMP is been drawn. And 70Amp can be handled. If you want to operate like a Data Center meaning 24h a day on your mining rigs than go this route so you don't burn down your house. Always leave 20-30% room on the 12V Rail otherwise you burn out those PSU's and you have to buy another one.

Here is a Setup I do have for long term testing in my Garage (original unmodded units):

https://www.lumanetsolarenergy.com/image/cache/data/Gridseed/Photo%20Jul%2025,%2012%2025%2041%20PM-500x500.jpg

https://www.lumanetsolarenergy.com/image/cache/data/Gridseed/Photo%20Jul%2025,%2012%2025%2058%20PM-500x500.jpg
Mister_Fix

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:11:25 AM

The main thing you look for the on an PSU is the 12V RAIL. In Picture above I red marked it for you. As more AMP you have on your Rail as more security / safty you build in that your PSU won't burn up and cause a potential fire.
So a GridSeed Blade only uses 100Watt maybe 120-140Watt if extreme overclocked. The other thing Jabberwork can also confirm is the AMP draw over those thinner ATX Cables cause heat on the Cable so as more you use in parallel as less heat you have on the cable. This is one reason why I highly recommend to go full on 14G-12G 120V Cable with solid copper core like shown in the picture. Those cables can take a BIG Load without producing the heat because they are solid copper. Also an very important factor which nobody tells you here is HEAT means you loose energy and efficiency. Not much but it ends up if you do run it like we do in Data Center settings.

So do your math :

12V and 100Watt  = 8.33 AMP

Yes you see it right one Gridseed Blade alone draws on DC Volt over 8 Amp. So we normally do have up to 4 units on 1 PSU so 32AMP is been drawn. And 70Amp can be handled. If you want to operate like a Data Center meaning 24h a day on your mining rigs than go this route so you don't burn down your house. Always leave 20-30% room on the 12V Rail otherwise you burn out those PSU's and you have to buy another one.

dunno what you talking about buddy, i'm powering my G-Blade with an ATX PSU with the blades clocked at 825 MHz and using 18 AWG wire (i removed the power jacks and soldered 18 AWG wires dircetly to the blades) and it doesnt even get warm. to the touch, the wires feel like any other wire around the house. except that, the maximum amp rating of the 12v rails on that PSU is 18 amps, so i got 9.67 amps of headroom, (and even if the miner takes more then 8.33 amps, which i'm 100% sure it does, at that clock speed, i got 2 seperate 12v rails, so that's another 18 free amps) which is more then enough, i could probably even power a few 5chip miners that i have laying around, all from the same 500W supply!
Lumanet

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:13:52 PM

Sorry I had burned your party. But finding a PSU which has 2 real 12V Rails is like winning in Lotto.

http://www.use.com/images/s_2/Hantol_Silent_ATX_500W_Power_Supply_7522d24941723e028d9f_1.jpg

This 500Watt PSU for example only has a 16Amp rail. So one normal Gridseed miner already maxes it out :-( .

This feed focus on the heavy overclocking of those blades and that's why I call out to be very careful and do your math twice before you cause an fire. This is why I just recommend it to check twice. Also if you do your math just for LAB giggles 500Watt on pure 12V can only do 41AMP MAX but this is LAB condition. Most PSU's like the one above doesn't even get close to is. Also most PSU have a cheap cables which can't take a lot of load even the CE specs tell you differently, but that's a reason why MADE in CHINA is not MADE in USA or GERMANY. As I said earlier we did overclock with hardware mod's here which cause a much higher draw from the PSU so that's why I called it out just to be safe. Because the last thing you want is a house on Fire.
If you followed a bit my hardware mod's which do ramp Gridseeds for less than 10$ USD up from normal 600-800 up to close to 1100Hz. so you get a very nice and safe 3.3-3.6 MHz per Blade out without busting it's limit's all the way to the MAX.

Lumanet

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: