Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:42:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GRIDSEED G-BLADE Overclocking 7Mh/s, improvements and repair  (Read 74041 times)
J4bberwock (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:44:17 PM

Hi, wolfey, I never tried to overclock to 8MH, the newer blades that are selling for 200$ with the extra upper gate MOSFET solder pads available should be able to reach the 8MH if you solder the extra MOSFET and give all the extra cooling.
I mostly worked on the Zeus blizzard for the last few weeks, but it was disappointing too. Plenty of extra power available, easy overvolting, but a hard limit in the chips and the bypass pins that aren't soldered. And bad cooling that gives high HW errors rate even at stock speed.

It seems that the manufacturers are just looking for profit, and not caring at all for the customers.
The turn over on hardware is so fast they don't really care.
There are a few small changes in the design and in the products that could make them better at almost no cost, but it looks like they aren't interested in listening us.
And when we are asking for the chips to be able to make things better, the price is so high that it will cost us way more to build the hardware than to buy it.
I'll probably switch back on bitcoin mining with a home made Avalon gen 3, since for now, it looks like some ROI is possible, unlike with scrypt hardware.
The limit today for scrypt is around 15$/ MH to expect ROI (and the manufacturers are paying way less than that for the finished product)
For SHA256, the limit is near 1$/GH. I expect that the homemade avalon could cost me something like 0.75$/MH.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
racebyu

Activity: 346
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:27:52 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pcs-NC-90C-2-Wire-Connector-Bimetal-Thermal-Thermostat-Switch-250V-5A-/231047800117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cb85a535

I didn't figure out what to turn off with this switch because you can't use it on power because it current is too high.
So you should turn of something else. But you must know when temperature drops swich change state and will make blade goes ON again.

I guess you could use that thermal switch with a self locking relay and a momentary switch.
You need to connect 1st NO relay contact to Vcc and back to relay coil (after momentary switch)
The thermal will beak the coil power via its connection to GND if it should over temp.
The 2 blade power plugs would be on the 2nd and 3rd relay NO contacts.
If bi-metalic thermal opens then coil power drops on contact 1 and the 2nd and 3rd NO relay
contacts also go from Closed to Open killing blade main powers.

racebyu

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:43:19 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 11:58:46 PM by racebyu

Hi, wolfey, I never tried to overclock to 8MH, the newer blades that are selling for 200$ with the extra upper gate MOSFET solder pads available should be able to reach the 8MH if you solder the extra MOSFET and give all the extra cooling.
I mostly worked on the Zeus blizzard for the last few weeks, but it was disappointing too. Plenty of extra power available, easy overvolting, but a hard limit in the chips and the bypass pins that aren't soldered. And bad cooling that gives high HW errors rate even at stock speed.

It seems that the manufacturers are just looking for profit, and not caring at all for the customers.
There are a few small changes in the design and in the products that could make them better at almost no cost, but it looks like they aren't interested in listening us.
And when we are asking for the chips to be able to make things better, the price is so high that it will cost us way more to build the hardware than to buy it.
I'll probably switch back on bitcoin mining with a home made Avalon gen 3, since for now, it looks like some ROI is possible, unlike with scrypt hardware.
The limit today for scrypt is around 15$/ MH to expect ROI (and the manufacturers are paying way less than that for the finished product)
For SHA256, the limit is near 1$/GH. I expect that the homemade avalon could cost me something like 0.75$/MH.

Nice, new blades going for $200, at X-hash?
2nd mosfet would help, but would that put you over 300watts?
New miners are 28Mhs @ 440watts, lower power draw.
Some point in time very SOON it will not be worth it for the 5Mhs
blade operators to continue mining at stock hash powers.
Might be time soon to crank the bitch up to max hash power!!

I might add a second set of heat sinks on mosfets and glue them
with thermal epoxy fins to fins to try and get some more cooling.
Might be able to crank her up a bit more, running 975Mhz now.
What resistance is needed for over that freq, do I have to go all
the way to 43K?
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:55:51 AM

Home made Avalon? What is that? Please describe in detail,,,,
And what about trying to program existing FPGA's?
There are development boards you can purchase and program....
Not speaking as if an authority. Just what I've read and heard here and there along the way.

Thanks!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
J4bberwock (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:10:31 AM

Home made Avalon? What is that? Please describe in detail,,,,
And what about trying to program existing FPGA's?
There are development boards you can purchase and program....
Not speaking as if an authority. Just what I've read and heard here and there along the way.

Thanks!
Building my own boards for the avalon gen 3 chips.
https://ehash.com/product/a3233-300pcs/
The FPGA are unfortunately too expensive to expect any ROI unless you already own them.
And they are useless once asics are out, since asics are cheaper and more power efficient. So FPGA for X11 and newer algo, if you already own the FPGA could be ok for some time until a manufacturer comes out with the asic chips.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
J4bberwock (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:32:44 AM

Nice, new blades going for $200, at X-hash?
2nd mosfet would help, but would that put you over 300watts?
New miners are 28Mhs @ 440watts, lower power draw.
Some point in time very SOON it will not be worth it for the 5Mhs
blade operators to continue mining at stock hash powers.
Might be time soon to crank the bitch up to max hash power!!

I might add a second set of heat sinks on mosfets and glue them
with thermal epoxy fins to fins to try and get some more cooling.
Might be able to crank her up a bit more, running 975Mhz now.
What resistance is needed for over that freq, do I have to go all
the way to 43K?
The second upper gate mosfet should be enough, but 300w for 7.5 to 8MH is useless. We will soon have to undervolt the blade to keep it running and make profit, depending on how much we are paying for electricity. I'm paying around 0.12$/kWh here, all fees included.something like 0.09$ excluding fees.

The best thing to do, on every miner, is over clock until it starts eating more power that what it earns. Then back to stock power draw, and after that, undervolt to keep it working for some time.
Or try to resell before over clocking isn't profitable anymore.

With 43k resistor, with all the extra cooling, I was able to reach 1075MHz. The blade was using 300watt for 7.1-7.2MH/s

The best small heatsinks I've found for the top of the MOSFET are from moddiy. I posted a link somewhere in this thread.
Side fan blowing on the power board should be necessary to cool the MOSFETs and the coil, even with the heatsinks under and on top of the MOSFETs.

Blisk

Activity: 412

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:47:02 PM

Right! PRE-PAY NOW! LOSE BIG LATER! Or,,is that NOW!!!???
Face it guys, Pre-Sales are for SUCKERS!
Don't play that game!
I don't and I REFUSE to fall for any buy now hype BS!
I can't believe HASHRA,,,,,,,Listen, wait 2 weeks and you can buy the same BIG DEAL 'BUY NOW' miner for 50% less than you can BUY IT NOW, for! No thanks to Scrypt losing value so fast, you won't even lose enough money to pay for shipping ... 2 weeks later!
I have 26 miners making me just under $5/day! Woo Hoo! At least they ROI'd,,, It's all profit but just no where near enough and certainy no where near where most of us predicted they'd be at this stage of the game. But, the market is EXTREMELY unpredictable as it is!
Then again, who is really pulling the strings UP there! Anyone? Or, no one? It's just happening all by itsel,,,yah, right!
STOP THE MADNESS! and let's make our beloved coins PAY US PROFITS for a change!!!!!  Angry

just my .000000000899---jussfivedollahs cents....

Yes you are right as I said many times before, those guys forget one and most logically thing.
If mining is profitable than companies which produce miner will build miners and use it for them self not for selling.
But the only thing profitable here is make miners and sell it, not mining on it, because dificulty raise exponentially every time when some company starts to sell their miners and you can never pay off yours because of that. Because every two months come out 10 times more powerfull miners.

The only profitable way is to build your ovn miners and mine with it.

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:33:28 PM

Don't play that game!
I can't believe HASHRA,,,,,,,Listen, wait 2 weeks and you can buy the same BIG DEAL 'BUY NOW' miner for 50% less than you can BUY IT NOW, for! No thanks to Scrypt losing value so fast, you won't even lose enough money to pay for shipping ... 2 weeks later!
I have 26 miners making me just under $5/day! Woo Hoo! At least they ROI'd,,, It's all profit but just no where near enough and certainy no where near where most of us predicted they'd be at this stage of the game. But, the market is EXTREMELY unpredictable as it is!
Then again, who is really pulling the strings UP there! Anyone? Or, no one? It's just happening all by itsel,,,yah, right!
STOP THE MADNESS! and let's make our beloved coins PAY US PROFITS for a change!!!!!  Angry

Yes you are right as I said many times before, those guys forget one and most logically thing.
If mining is profitable than companies which produce miner will build miners and use it for them self not for selling.
But the only thing profitable here is make miners and sell it, not mining on it, because dificulty raise exponentially every time when some company starts to sell their miners and you can never pay off yours because of that. Because every two months come out 10 times more powerfull miners.

Thanks J4...
I just looked and those crooks at Avalon want 2btc per chip? Am I reading that right? What a RIP OFF!
Just corrupt opportunism! Sickening!

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:37:50 PM

Don't play that game!

Thanks J4...
I just looked and those crooks at Avalon want 2btc per chip? Am I reading that right? What a RIP OFF!

Hey, Wolfey2014...

How're doing, buddy... Huh

2.05BTC for 300 chips... Grin

ZiG
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:43:42 PM

Don't play that game!

Thanks J4...

Hey, Wolfey2014...

How're doing, buddy... Huh

2.05BTC for 300 chips... Grin

ZiG

Hah! I knew you couldn't resist ZiGGy!

styson

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:46:09 AM

I am starting to wonder if it would just be easier to take the damn gc3355's off the boards, create a new pcb that can handle the power needed for SHA and start a password cracking service Huh  Grin
J4bberwock (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:51:00 PM

I am starting to wonder if it would just be easier to take the damn gc3355's off the boards, create a new pcb that can handle the power needed for SHA and start a password cracking service Huh  Grin

I haven't checked, but I'm not sure they are that efficient for sha256. The dedicated sha256 chips would probably work better if they could crack passwords. Not sure they can crack passwords, even if the algorithm is the same.
Undervolting the GC3355 for scrypt will still make it usable for some time, but it's clear that ROI will be hard if you haven't hit it yet. As usual, new coins, instamining, luck... Could help.

The scrypt asic market is currently moving too fast, and prices are dropping in the same way. We should have something more stable when 28nm will be widely available. prices for hardware will level around 6-7$/MH and after that, it will only slowly decrease.
It'll be the best time to buy bare chips and build custom hardware, since the prices won't be cut by 10 or 15% every week.

Blisk

Activity: 412

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 05:13:09 PM

this is why buying scrypt asics is not profitable and it wont be anymore, but only building them by ourself

racebyu

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:18:34 AM

I haven't checked, but I'm not sure they are that efficient for sha256. The dedicated sha256 chips would probably work better if they could crack passwords. Not sure they can crack passwords, even if the algorithm is the same.
Undervolting the GC3355 for scrypt will still make it usable for some time, but it's clear that ROI will be hard if you haven't hit it yet. As usual, new coins, instamining, luck... Could help.

The scrypt asic market is currently moving too fast, and prices are dropping in the same way. We should have something more stable when 28nm will be widely available. prices for hardware will level around 6-7$/MH and after that, it will only slowly decrease.
It'll be the best time to buy bare chips and build custom hardware, since the prices won't be cut by 10 or 15% every week.

The market is moving so quick that by the time you test your design, order parts, build circuit boards and then populate you might
be too far behind in hash power to get a good ROI. You would have to push the limit and go for max hash power out of the gate
with the current 28n chips in the marketplace and not be spoon fed with little increments in hash power and less watts like the
manufactures currently do. I would think it would be a greater expense, and time especially if you tried to build yourself but if you
could fork out a bit more money for a pile of chips and go and create a 500Gh+ unit or boards that can array to create a larger
hashing powered unit (Similar to old ASIC blades). The only drawback is the higher wattage need to drive the current chips that
would require you to have multiple 15A services feeding the unit unless under voltage and max amount of chips are used to help
decrease the power draw.

I have my old blade running at 1khz & 41k on my pot and getting 6.8Mhs @ 154deg on the mosfet heat sink.
Will try to crank her up a bit on the weekend and see how much freq she can take.
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 03:54:23 AM

g-blade #miningporn Smiley http://instagram.com/p/q28rx1QqoT/

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:49:13 AM

WTF... Huh
kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 05:19:48 AM

LOL my instagram posting my rigs? Cheesy

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 12:11:49 AM

Y0 J4!

What's new?
Anything more on those chips and that Super Duper home made 500MH monster?

I'm going to repair my pod that has the blown FET on it. I believe it's possible that it was over stressed when installed - hence the pre-mature failure that shouldn't happen,ever! At least not to me dammit!

I am going to use my CRO to see what the PWM signal on the gate looks like before I operate.
I'll post some pics of that if you guys want.

Let me know.

Wolfey2014
Pod Master

J4bberwock (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:48:57 PM

Y0 J4!

What's new?
Anything more on those chips and that Super Duper home made 500MH monster?

I'm going to repair my pod that has the blown FET on it. I believe it's possible that it was over stressed when installed - hence the pre-mature failure that shouldn't happen,ever! At least not to me dammit!

I am going to use my CRO to see what the PWM signal on the gate looks like before I operate.
I'll post some pics of that if you guys want.

Let me know.

Wolfey2014
Pod Master

He, still hard to get chips at a fair price.
There are "no" chips available for scrypt that meets my price.
For SHA256, BE200 and Avalon gen 3 could fit, I'll check the BOM.

For the pod and blades, summer will be the final test to see if the MOSFETs are cooled enough after over clocking.
I reversed the fan on my pods so the airflow is cooling the top of the MOSFETs. They should stand higher room temp this way.

LoneWolf3574

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:26:32 AM

I don't suppose somebody could tell me what FB28 and FB29 are right next to the barrel connector? FB28 just blew on me, I have a friend who might be able to fix it for me and I'd like to be able to approach him halfway intelligently on this since pcb are not my forte.  Thanks.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: