Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 06:09:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 USD/mBTC Price Prediction Contest  (Read 21786 times)
RandomPedestrianN9

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:22:42 AM

TO DA MOON! 1 000 000 USD by the end of week, who disagrees is FUD spreader and troll. My prediction is based on logic and facts.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3060

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:40:08 AM

TO DA MOON! 1 000 000 USD by the end of week, who disagrees is FUD spreader and troll. My prediction is based on logic and facts.
My prediction, on the other hand, is based on my having paid the entry fee for the contest. Please refrain from spreading your nonsense in this thread until you're willing to put your money where your mouth is.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Predatorian

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:26:28 PM

Ofc price will be higher in future, only need some time for it.

holomen

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 09:46:21 AM

I do believe that this RP post should belong here, but correct me if I'm wrong :

The trial round for the Price Prediction Contest, started in 2014-4-17 and ended 2014-5-17.

The price ended up being 448.39 $/BTC.

The participants received points as follows:

sgbett   1,7231
Trolololo   1,7231
bcdev   1,5213
chessnut   1,3533
Its About Sharing   1,2692
Guinpen   0,8154
wachtwoord   0,6809
pietje   0,6809
rpietila   0,5128
wilfried   0,5128
Bronstad   0,2967
elg   0,167

ArticMine   -0,748
HeliKopterBen   -1,7543
Superluz   -1,9746
ibuyltc   -122,8316     <- ELIMINATED (less than -20 points)

Congrats market wizards! Wink
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:10:37 AM

I do believe that this RP post should belong here, but correct me if I'm wrong :

The trial round for the Price Prediction Contest, started in 2014-4-17 and ended 2014-5-17.

The price ended up being 448.39 $/BTC.

The participants received points as follows:

sgbett   1,7231
Trolololo   1,7231
bcdev   1,5213
chessnut   1,3533
Its About Sharing   1,2692
Guinpen   0,8154
wachtwoord   0,6809
pietje   0,6809
rpietila   0,5128
wilfried   0,5128
Bronstad   0,2967
elg   0,167

ArticMine   -0,748
HeliKopterBen   -1,7543
Superluz   -1,9746
ibuyltc   -122,8316     <- ELIMINATED (less than -20 points)

Congrats market wizards! Wink

Did I submit a test round prediction? Oh wait, I seem to recall something. Where can I find this prediction? (it was just posted in the open in a thread right?).
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:52:07 AM

click on the "Quote from: rpietila on Today at 06:51:21 AM" link in the quoted text

edit: around page 143 in that thread

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:56:11 AM

This thread did not exist yet at the time of the test round Smiley

Cross-post is fine.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:13:42 PM

click on the "Quote from: rpietila on Today at 06:51:21 AM" link in the quoted text

edit: around page 143 in that thread

Thanks! Lol at my prediction for the test round, it was a semi-joke to show I would "bet" very concentrated. Of course my actual prediction (while still very focused) is far less concentrated Tongue
holomen

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:57:01 PM

This thread did not exist yet at the time of the test round Smiley

Cross-post is fine.

aha, this seems to be true. Hope I haven't misguided anyone. Sgbett really makes good bets.

Then I'm Glad to see the steady progress since, on this inspired Thread.

dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:02:07 PM

less than 2 weeks left... Come on Bitcoin, wanna see the price in the range [562.34;630.95] Tongue

BUY BUY BUY  Cheesy

Even though my top score is between 398.11 and 446.67 I won't complain if your prediction comes true Wink

I wouldn't mind an exchange rate between 501.19 and 562.33.
In that case, I get 1.97 points

With the current exchange rate, I get only 0.75 points
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:07:09 PM

less than 2 weeks left... Come on Bitcoin, wanna see the price in the range [562.34;630.95] Tongue

BUY BUY BUY  Cheesy

Even though my top score is between 398.11 and 446.67 I won't complain if your prediction comes true Wink

With the current exchange rate, I get less than 1: 0.75 points

I get minus 0.35 for 501.19 through 562.33. I won't complain if it happens though.

Above $891 before the end of the month I'm out of the competition. I'll be quite content with that outcome as well.
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:39:04 PM

This is one of my favourite books ever... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Player_of_Games

This is one of my favourite blog posts ever... http://oliveremberton.com/2014/life-is-a-game-this-is-your-strategy-guide/

I used to play a game called earth 2025, and then later another called StargateWars. Both strategy/resource/efficiency type games, huge timesinks. I would spend hours thinking of how to optimise my play. Turn out these are transferable skills.

Money is just a sub game. Complicated by the fact you are compelled by your human desires and emotions to play a less than perfect game. That's just part of the challenge though. Knowing you can't play prefect you have to devise a strategy that still works. When BTC cam along it was like I'd discovered some crazy bonus side quest. Some secrete room that you stumble across in adventure games full of traps and treasure. Its interesting because its fairly easy to do pretty well, but the temptation to do *really* well could make you end up doing really badly.

So far I'm doing pretty well on this sub quest, I think all them years playing games give you a real advantage.

As for this contest, I devised a strategy that maximises my chance of winning. Not just to win the contest itself, but to try and ensure the best overall outcome for me. I placed more importance in winning in scenarios where the prize was worth winning, hence I weigh in heavily bullish in my guesses. My goal was/is if BTC goes nowhere, then I have no chance of winning the $600, but if it goes to $10k I want the highest chance of winning $16k. To win is to understand the scoring system and how best to use it to get points.

Because of the format - i.e. having to guess 8 months out, harvesting big points for black swan type events felt the most statistically sound (most +EV) way to play, especially given bit coins historic price volatility. I also based it on my experience of how people tend to assign probability to events. They often under assign probability to outliers, and over assign to stasis, in particular when long timescales are involved. In the trial round I played this way, because it was a short time. However in this contest the timespan is huge, and so the chance of 'black swan' is far higher than people intuit. Rpteila mentions this earlier in the thread when he talks about the potential for price to be vastly different from where it is now.

For this reason I knew I wouldn't have to assign too much probability to outliers and still be way ahead in terms of points if they came true. I would still have enough to defend from elimination in the case of no price action. Finally, it's impossible to get big points on no price action because everyone is going to cluster their probabilities around the current price, so even if you are right, you are fighting for scraps.

If you can accurately predict where the price is going over 8 months, then you would easily beat my strategy, but the odds are that you can't do that, if the price does start to rise quick I have already locked in big scores from the first round. So even if you assign high probabilities in the coming months, everyone else will be adjusting their distributions upwards too, limiting your winnings.

Its still a way to go and as other players see how I'm playing they might try and adjust accordingly, but I think by then it will be too late. This first month was the critical one, ensuring you get big points for any large movements over the coming months, whilst protecting yourself from elimination if the price doesn't move.

For those who would say this is gaming (well, yeah it is, see first few links!) ...my entries represent the most statistically likely spread of price action imho. That's why I think they are most likely to win. So yeah that's gaming - and I think is ultimately what rpteila wants out of this - the most statistically likely spread of future price action!

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:51:29 PM

This is one of my favourite books ever... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Player_of_Games

This is one of my favourite blog posts ever... http://oliveremberton.com/2014/life-is-a-game-this-is-your-strategy-guide/

I used to play a game called earth 2025, and then later another called StargateWars. Both strategy/resource/efficiency type games, huge timesinks. I would spend hours thinking of how to optimise my play. Turn out these are transferable skills.

Money is just a sub game. Complicated by the fact you are compelled by your human desires and emotions to play a less than perfect game. That's just part of the challenge though. Knowing you can't play prefect you have to devise a strategy that still works. When BTC cam along it was like I'd discovered some crazy bonus side quest. Some secrete room that you stumble across in adventure games full of traps and treasure. Its interesting because its fairly easy to do pretty well, but the temptation to do *really* well could make you end up doing really badly.

So far I'm doing pretty well on this sub quest, I think all them years playing games give you a real advantage.

As for this contest, I devised a strategy that maximises my chance of winning. Not just to win the contest itself, but to try and ensure the best overall outcome for me. I placed more importance in winning in scenarios where the prize was worth winning, hence I weigh in heavily bullish in my guesses. My goal was/is if BTC goes nowhere, then I have no chance of winning the $600, but if it goes to $10k I want the highest chance of winning $16k. To win is to understand the scoring system and how best to use it to get points.

Because of the format - i.e. having to guess 8 months out, harvesting big points for black swan type events felt the most statistically sound (most +EV) way to play, especially given bit coins historic price volatility. I also based it on my experience of how people tend to assign probability to events. They often under assign probability to outliers, and over assign to stasis, in particular when long timescales are involved. In the trial round I played this way, because it was a short time. However in this contest the timespan is huge, and so the chance of 'black swan' is far higher than people intuit. Rpteila mentions this earlier in the thread when he talks about the potential for price to be vastly different from where it is now.

For this reason I knew I wouldn't have to assign too much probability to outliers and still be way ahead in terms of points if they came true. I would still have enough to defend from elimination in the case of no price action. Finally, it's impossible to get big points on no price action because everyone is going to cluster their probabilities around the current price, so even if you are right, you are fighting for scraps.

If you can accurately predict where the price is going over 8 months, then you would easily beat my strategy, but the odds are that you can't do that, if the price does start to rise quick I have already locked in big scores from the first round. So even if you assign high probabilities in the coming months, everyone else will be adjusting their distributions upwards too, limiting your winnings.

Its still a way to go and as other players see how I'm playing they might try and adjust accordingly, but I think by then it will be too late. This first month was the critical one, ensuring you get big points for any large movements over the coming months, whilst protecting yourself from elimination if the price doesn't move.

For those who would say this is gaming (well, yeah it is, see first few links!) ...my entries represent the most statistically likely spread of price action imho. That's why I think they are most likely to win. So yeah that's gaming - and I think is ultimately what rpteila wants out of this - the most statistically likely spread of future price action!

I optimized for the "going nowhere case" (actually for the very slowly growing case but it;s so much slower than most people think it's effectively the same) because I'm heavily invested in Bitcoin. This contest is a slight diversification 9and a +EV one due to Risto's donation to the prize pool). I hope I lose and the price rises much faster than I predicted.
dnaleor
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:27:21 AM

BUY BUY BUY  Cheesy

562.34, here we come!  Grin
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:13:16 AM

BUY BUY BUY  Cheesy

562.34, here we come!  Grin

When we break 530 we seem to be going quite a bit higher soon after.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:48:44 PM

New entrants: You have 4 hours to go, to participate in the contest starting from next month!

The entrance fee must be paid now, the prediction submitted before the month changes.

Welcome!  Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
dnaleor
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:02:21 PM

Stop this rally! I want my maximum points... Exchange rate MUST stay below 630.95 USD 
 Grin Grin Grin
(otherwise, I will get significant less points)

Anyway... Starting to making a draft for the next predictions.
I think I will be even more bullish than in the previous prediction  Wink
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 09:30:58 PM

Its looking pretty close!

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3060

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 02:46:35 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2014, 11:12:45 AM by Foxpup

I'm about halfway through making the next round of predictions. I don't think I'll change my strategy too much.

EDIT: Done. Prediction sent.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
dnaleor
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 09:13:59 PM

Just finished my prediction. Will send it in a minute!

less than 3 hours to go... I Hope the exchange rate stays below 630.96 Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: