Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 11:01:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... 2126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669886 times)
RentaMouse

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:36:12 PM

Please anybody can help?
I feel noob.
How can I create a Payment ID so I can be receive a XMR payment?
Is there a command to do that?
You don't have to create a Payment ID to receive an XMR payment. All you have to do is send to your XMR address.

Payment IDs are for exchanges so they know who deposited what (as all deposits go to the same address).

I understand your point, but I need one in order to be refounded by Bittrex.
First I send XMRx from Bittrex to Poloniex without payment ID.
Poloniex cleans his hands but Bittrex ask me for one payments ID so they can credited my lost moneros.
Excuse my poor english. It is not my native language.
Why does Bittrex need a payment ID to credit your lost XMR? Payment IDs are 64-character strings, which means any 64 letters or numbers in a row.

I suspect Bittrex are saying "yes, we can see your transfer hasnt gone through so we will credit your XMR back to your Bittrex wallet, but to do that they need your Bittrex XMR wallet address and payment ID (both available from your XMR wallet on Bittrex)"

- open your XMR wallet on Bittrex
- copy wallet address and payment ID
- send both to Bittrex support

Pool admin @ http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/ - for miners who value reliability (and like orange)!
Currently donating all of our 1% pool fee to the dev fund - mine at CryptonotepoolUK and support XMR at no extra cost!
kartilago

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:38:04 PM

Please anybody can help?
I feel noob.
You don't have to create a Payment ID to receive an XMR payment. All you have to do is send to your XMR address.

Payment IDs are for exchanges so they know who deposited what (as all deposits go to the same address).

Poloniex cleans his hands but Bittrex ask me for one payments ID so they can credited my lost moneros.
Why does Bittrex need a payment ID to credit your lost XMR? Payment IDs are 64-character strings, which means any 64 letters or numbers in a row.
I dont know. Perhaps they are going to resend the coin to poloniex but this time they want to be sure I dont forget the poloniex payment ID.
I can not find the way to create a payment ID from simplewallet. Help in simplewallet do not help
uvt9

Activity: 300

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:40:42 PM

Please anybody can help?
I feel noob.

I dont know. Perhaps they are going to resend the coin to poloniex but this time they want to be sure I dont forget the poloniex payment ID.
I can not find the way to create a payment ID from simplewallet. Help in simplewallet do not help

Geez, the payment ID that Bittrex asked you is provided by Poloniex, login to Poloniex balance page and grap it. It is displayed right below deposit address together with a button named "Generate new Payment ID".

There is no way you could find your Poloniex Payment ID in your simplewallet.
equipoise

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000

Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 08:40:53 PM

Please anybody can help?
I feel noob.

I suspect Bittrex are saying "yes, we can see your transfer hasnt gone through so we will credit your XMR back to your Bittrex wallet, but to do that they need your Bittrex XMR wallet address and payment ID (both available from your XMR wallet on Bittrex)"

Or the other option is Bittrex want to help you and send your funds to poloniex with the poloniex address and payment id so if this is the case you could get them from poloniex -> balances (click on the generate payment id button if you didn't done it already).

About me | zRMicroArray - phase 2 - Gene Expression Analysis software | [Weed Like to Talk - Bulgaria] Start a wave of cannabis seminars in Europe | Monero weighted average price stats: moneroprice.i2p
BTC: 1KoCX7TWKVGwqmmFw3CKyUSrKRSStueZar | NMC: NKhYEYpe1Le9MwHrwKsdSm5617J4toVar9 | XMR (Tip me a beer OpenAlias Monero address): tip.changetheworldwork.com
[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency: 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2u NXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX
kartilago

Activity: 203

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:56:39 PM

Please anybody can help?
I feel noob.

Or the other option is Bittrex want to help you and send your funds to poloniex with the poloniex address and payment id so if this is the case you could get them from poloniex -> balances (click on the generate payment id button if you didn't done it already).

I think is the option 1, but I think is better I will tell them the two ones, so I can not fail again.
Thanks
RentaMouse

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 09:39:02 PM

Either a Poloniex wallet address and payment ID, or the Bittrex ones should be enough Smiley

At least all this trouble people have with payment IDs goes to show that XMR is anonymous by default, an extra process is required to make a payment identifiable

Pool admin @ http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/ - for miners who value reliability (and like orange)!
Currently donating all of our 1% pool fee to the dev fund - mine at CryptonotepoolUK and support XMR at no extra cost!
surfer43

Activity: 560

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 09:59:50 PM

At least all this trouble people have with payment IDs goes to show that XMR is anonymous by default, an extra process is required to make a payment identifiable
Not necessarily. The reason a Payment ID is needed is because all the payments go to one address.
stormia

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:05:10 PM

Can somebody compare boolberry and monero for me? Not sure what one's advantage is over the others. I see that monero uses CryptoNight algo while boolberry uses Wild Keccak..
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:14:17 PM

Can somebody compare boolberry and monero for me? Not sure what one's advantage is over the others. I see that monero uses CryptoNight algo while boolberry uses Wild Keccak..

You'll probably get a better answer on the BBR thread. Monero is essentially a "vanilla" Cryptonote-based coin, based closely on the bytecoin "reference implementation" (though it has already diverged and will continue to diverge). BBR made a bunch of user-visiable changes, along with changing the PoW function.
sonoIO

Activity: 209

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:33:58 PM

I am the masses.  I'm interested i'm Monero due to the involvement of people I respect.  I have no computer skills.  My new computer is windows 8.1 with a pentium chip Embarrassed so I wont be mining.  I started using btc over a year ago.  I have never downloaded the blockchain as I have only used the electrum wallet.  I have considered purchasing XMR but the process of downloading, setting up, and transferring is daunting.  I don't want use an exchange for storage.  I see that an attempt is being made to make a deterministic wallet.  Will this mean no downloading of the blockchain like electrum?  

Any advice on how to get started with Monero would be appreciated.

Thanks I'll give it a go when I have some time.  Just to reinforce how clueless I am, in 13 years of owning a computer I have never backed up anything Embarrassed  This is another joy with using the electrum wallet, never a need to back it up.  My seeds are safely stored in several secure locations and my btc will live on when I die.

If you do not have computer skills, for this you should GNU/Linux as it work out of the box (see monero.cc Getting started - for install_monero.sh). Firstly, you can try it from USB bootable stick (see e.g. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows) on which changes will be saved if you set up persistence.

I found out about BTC 6 month ago, and I never actually used Electrum, but I'we been reading about best practices for deterministic wallets and I'we been running bitmonero daemon for a few weeks now. And, for what I understand, if you just wish to create a seed you may not use persistence and can skip installing cpuminer - the script will guide you through the process. Then you would disconnect from the network and generate a wallet, after which should be the same as with your other seeds. I suppose that there are no watching only option for simplewallet, at least at the moment.

One of things that I like about Monero is egalitarian idea behind it (which seems to be working) so if you put to work even old computer, and you let it mine within the daemon, you actually have a chance of finding a block.
You NEED to start mining.  Don:t use a pool. Just be patient.
It would be nice if Monero GNU/Linux distro comes to life, after i2p is reimplemented in c++ Smiley

RentaMouse

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:43:26 PM

Not necessarily. The reason a Payment ID is needed is because all the payments go to one address.

That's kind of my point, if you have a bunch of payments going to a single address there isnt a way to identify them unless a separate ID is provided. I know that's a simplification but the default behaviour of the wallet protects a new user's identity, unlike Bitcoin and its children where a careless transaction could make your activities identifiable.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 12:39:51 AM

That's kind of my point, if you have a bunch of payments going to a single address there isnt a way to identify them unless a separate ID is provided. I know that's a simplification but the default behaviour of the wallet protects a new user's identity, unlike Bitcoin and its children where a careless transaction could make your activities identifiable.

True, but that's not really the reason. In fact most exchanges recommend sending payments with a mixin of 0, which means the sender is not really anonymous.

The reason for the difference in handling of deposits is that bitcoin (and clone) wallets make it easy to create one more more new deposit addresses for each user account. Deposits can then be identified by the address to which they are sent. This coin does not make that easy, so the payment ID mechanism is required.

David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 01:21:03 AM

You seem to have an extra space between R and o in the address segment fHsGRoyZk3ES.
This is a known Simple Machines Forum issue. To circumvent it, use the code tag.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 01:22:06 AM

I am the masses.  I'm interested i'm Monero due to the involvement of people I respect.  I have no computer skills.  My new computer is windows 8.1 with a pentium chip Embarrassed so I wont be mining.  I started using btc over a year ago.  I have never downloaded the blockchain as I have only used the electrum wallet.  I have considered purchasing XMR but the process of downloading, setting up, and transferring is daunting.  I don't want use an exchange for storage.  I see that an attempt is being made to make a deterministic wallet.  Will this mean no downloading of the blockchain like electrum?  

Thanks I'll give it a go when I have some time.  Just to reinforce how clueless I am, in 13 years of owning a computer I have never backed up anything Embarrassed  This is another joy with using the electrum wallet, never a need to back it up.  My seeds are safely stored in several secure locations and my btc will live on when I die.

If you do not have computer skills, for this you should GNU/Linux as it work out of the box (see monero.cc Getting started - for install_monero.sh). Firstly, you can try it from USB bootable stick (see e.g. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows) on which changes will be saved if you set up persistence.

I found out about BTC 6 month ago, and I never actually used Electrum, but I'we been reading about best practices for deterministic wallets and I'we been running bitmonero daemon for a few weeks now. And, for what I understand, if you just wish to create a seed you may not use persistence and can skip installing cpuminer - the script will guide you through the process. Then you would disconnect from the network and generate a wallet, after which should be the same as with your other seeds. I suppose that there are no watching only option for simplewallet, at least at the moment.

One of things that I like about Monero is egalitarian idea behind it (which seems to be working) so if you put to work even old computer, and you let it mine within the daemon, you actually have a chance of finding a block.
You NEED to start mining.  Don:t use a pool. Just be patient.
It would be nice if Monero GNU/Linux distro comes to life, after i2p is reimplemented in c++ Smiley

I must have less than no computer skills.  I downloaded Monero as all I needed to do was click.  I was following the MoneroTalk tutorial where it said after downloadimg (one of the 5 files they show is a zip file which I don't have, just the other 4) I am instructed to SIMPLY move the file to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming.  After googling and searching for what would be the correct name of my USERPROFILE I came  up empty handed.  One hour gone.

On the Monereo site it basically says their installation instruction only work for Linux.  I had recently saved a link that explains dual boot with linux.  I just read it and stopped when they talk about partitioning my hard drive.  Am I to assume that using a bootable USB stick is easier?  If I am running Monero with linux can I use my computer in Windows as well?  I use my computer a lot during the day and must use windows.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 01:23:03 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2014, 01:35:41 AM by David Latapie

Hi Stormia! Nice to see you there!

I must have less than no computer skills.  I downloaded Monero as all I needed to do was click.  I was following the MoneroTalk tutorial where it said after downloadimg (one of the 5 files they show is a zip file which I don't have, just the other 4) I am instructed to SIMPLY move the file to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming.  After googling and searching for what would be the correct name of my USERPROFILE I came  up empty handed.  One hour gone.

On the Monereo site it basically says their installation instruction only work for Linux.  I had recently saved a link that explains dual boot with linux.  I just read it and stopped when they talk about partitioning my hard drive.  Am I to assume that using a bootable USB stick is easier?  If I am running Monero with linux can I use my computer in Windows as well?  I use my computer a lot during the day and must use windows.

First, let me assure you not being able to install Monero easily is by no means an evidence that you are not good at computing Smiley We are working hard to make it easier to install and mine monero.

Second, if you want to dual boot on Linux, you won't be able to use your computer on Windows at the same time. A better option is to run a Linux virtual machine on your Windows OS - no partitionning, no risk of losing data, you only have to download Virtualbox and Ubuntu 14.04. The downside is that, because of paravirtualisation, your computer will be slower AND your mining will be less effective than with a native, Windows client.

To access the folder, just open an explorer.exe window, click the address bar (I think ctrl+l works too, but this is from memory), remove everything in it and type this: %appdata%.

For more help, I suggest you to come to #monero on IRC (freenode server). A lot of people here can help you. If you don't have an IRC program, I suggest you install hexchat.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
monero (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 134

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:15:43 AM

Update on the mining instructions:
Addition of the newest parameters for Wolf's cpuminer:

Code:
sudo sysctl -w vm.nr_hugepages=X
where X=number_of_threads * 3

updated by David Latapie
emontmon

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:22:46 AM

Thanks I'll give it a go when I have some time.  Just to reinforce how clueless I am, in 13 years of owning a computer I have never backed up anything Embarrassed  This is another joy with using the electrum wallet, never a need to back it up.  My seeds are safely stored in several secure locations and my btc will live on when I die.

You NEED to start mining.  Don:t use a pool. Just be patient.

First go to your  control panel and click folder  options
Click on view hidden files

Now go to start (win 7)  and perform search for %appdata%
Folder option will appear Double click on roaming folder
Creat bitmonero folder
Double click bitmonero  folder and save the block chain in there

For Windows eight use the magnifying glass to search for %appdata%
And a roaming folder option will appear.  First you must set folders to view hidden in control panel

Nekomata

Activity: 99

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:33:14 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2015, 08:09:33 AM by Nekomata

XMR is the future.
Jshank

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:41:36 AM

Code:

updated by David Latapie

Basic setup complete. Stuck on: "1. Open a shell." where do i do this?
RentaMouse

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:47:57 AM

Code:

updated by David Latapie

Basic setup complete. Stuck on: "1. Open a shell." where do i do this?

Depends, I'm guessing you are running Ubuntu with the standard desktop to get this far and be stuck, in which case click the top most icon on the lefthand side of screen and type "terminal" in the search box - shell is the terminal. If you dont have a desktop and are already typing everything then you are already there Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... 2126 »
  Print  

Jump to: