Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:21:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which PoS approach will win out?
Peer-coin (Hybrid Pow/PoS mining)
Nxt (Transparent forging)
Bitshares (DPoS)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Proof of Stake System is the Most Viable  (Read 25719 times)
clout (OP)

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 01:51:40 AM

To be fair messaging in BTSX is still TBD.
Cross-Chain-Trading has blockchain support, but has not been demonstrated in any test network.
Market Pegged assets are going to be tested live this week on the test network.

Items missing from table:
Pay transaction fees in any user-issued asset for which there is an open ask order.

Market Matching Algorithm is a tad more complex than just saying "automatic"... can anyone point me to the algorithm used by Nxt?

Nxt has leasing... DPOS has delegation... so lets compare and contrast:
   a) leasing is for a fixed period of time
   b) does leasing require executing a transaction on the blockchain (to lease) and does this charge a fee?
   c) can your lease be revoked prior to the period of time.
   d) what happens when your leased forging power are spent to someone new?

It seems like Nxt leasing + Transparent Forging is very similar in principle to DPOS prior to upgrade to approval voting.

Maybe I'm being pedantic but its an important enough distinction to me that to be chronologicaly correct, you should state "It seems like DPOS prior to upgrade to approval voting is very similar in principle to Nxt leasing + Transparent Forging". Otherwise you sound not objective by preceeding your own tech when in fact it is preceeded by Nxt.

Both networks were designed independently... It doesn't matter which preceded which.

Hmmm, if you look at development history and timelines thats debatable. Not in bitshares favor.

when was transparent forging with leasing implemented?
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:26:12 AM

Exactly, when? BitShares can run anything they want on testnet, just like NXT can test anything on testnet, it's when it goes to live net that counts as the implementation.
clout (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 11:53:29 AM

Exactly, when? BitShares can run anything they want on testnet, just like NXT can test anything on testnet, it's when it goes to live net that counts as the implementation.

Ok...so when is this next feature release. And can I join the test net with transparent forging and leasing?
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 04:02:36 PM

Ok...so when is this next feature release. And can I join the test net with transparent forging and leasing?

Currently, we are busy preparing and testing the Digital Goods Store. That is in the current release. Leasing works already on the main net.

Transparent Forging has lower priority as we do not need 1000 TPS right now. But it is planned this year.

After the current release, the next major release only includes internal improvements (DB etc.)

And after that the next major feature release will come. Roadmap is there: https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/development-roadmap-update-2014-07-05/
FriendsOfBitshares

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 06:00:29 AM

Currently, we are busy preparing and testing the Digital Goods Store. That is in the current release. Leasing works already on the main net.

I really like the leased forging concept.  This is something DPOS fixes by not having forging power proportional to stakes.  One of these 2 approaches is a necessity for POS systems.  The security exposure is just too high otherwise.
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 09:25:59 PM

BTSX is live now with DPOS implemented with 10 second confirmation times and approval voting for 101 delegates.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
misterbowls

Activity: 29

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:05:58 AM

Does anyone know if 10 second block times is the record in crypto-currencies? 
delulo

Activity: 441

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:41:45 PM

Does anyone know if 10 second block times is the record in crypto-currencies? 
that is not the point. The point is speed * security / degree of decentralization. Although a high speed is a significant achievement in itself as well but it is not worth much by itself.
I am not saying that Bitshares x is too centralized. At the moment Bitshares X is probably more decentralized than Bitcoin.
clout (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 01:31:05 AM

Any new thoughts on this question? My money's still on BitShares.
devphp

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:20:06 PM

is Bitshares and Ethereum going to be one system?

it'll be an epic battle of the giants to behold: NXT vs Bitshares/Ethereum. Stay tuned in Smiley
devphp

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 04:37:12 PM

America_Has_no_Peers_Coin will be the best when Obama releases it.

Trying to derail the thread, troll harder! Cheesy
Schwarzalbert

Activity: 51

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:03:40 PM

We can just choose between those 3 ?

What about all those other coins around?

Absolutely useless poll until you add all POS-coins.

devphp

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 05:05:25 PM

We can just choose between those 3 ?

What about all those other coins around?

Absolutely useless poll until you add all POS-coins.

This poll was set up in April. Create a new one to get updated results Smiley
beitris.dwlul

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 03:38:48 PM

The "penalty" is if a miner doesn't mint a block when he can then he is prevented from minting future blocks for a period of 2 days ON THAT CHAIN.  Huh  Huh

box0211

Activity: 165
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 02:56:30 PM

any updates on other POS coins? is nxt still king of the crop?
Marc De Mesel

Activity: 327

The Best Investment Deserves The Largest Exposure

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 03:34:45 PM

There's IOTA now, made by dev of NXT 'Come From Beyond', not sure it's POS, it's without blockchain I think. Transactions are validated, not based on how many coins you have, but based on past transactions? I don't really get it yet but it seems solid as multiple people came up with this same idea.

Early Bitcoin, Byteball & Bitcoin Cash Investor. Loving Voluntarysm, Lambos & Girls Wink
Check out my: https://youtube.com/user/Marcdemesel - https://twitter.com/marcdemesel & https://instagram.com/marc_de_mesel
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 04:19:52 PM

There's IOTA now, made by dev of NXT 'Come From Beyond', not sure it's POS, it's without blockchain I think. Transactions are validated, not based on how many coins you have, but based on past transactions? I don't really get it yet but it seems solid as multiple people came up with this same idea.

IOTA is actually PoW. In order to attach a transaction to the tangle, you have to do some work. Each attached transaction confirms two previous.
Marc De Mesel

Activity: 327

The Best Investment Deserves The Largest Exposure

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 08:52:42 AM

IOTA is actually PoW. In order to attach a transaction to the tangle, you have to do some work. Each attached transaction confirms two previous.

Oh interesting, thanks for clarifying.

Anyone knows why they chose for POW?

Early Bitcoin, Byteball & Bitcoin Cash Investor. Loving Voluntarysm, Lambos & Girls Wink
Check out my: https://youtube.com/user/Marcdemesel - https://twitter.com/marcdemesel & https://instagram.com/marc_de_mesel
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 09:02:21 AM

Anyone knows why they chose for POW?

It's the only way for the concept to work. Remember, there are no blocks that are generated every x minutes. No need to prove your stake in order to forge a block.
But you have to have a barrier for sending transactions as an anti DDOS measure. Even more so because there are no tx fees.

Anyway, the amount of PoW you have to do is quite small, and you only have to do it when you want to attach something to the tangle. A modern GPU can do the necessary PoW for a transaction in a tenth of a second.
I claim that it's not as wasteful as the PoW in bitcoin, because in IOTA there are no fees, so there's no arms race in doing the most PoW possible. And all PoW is directly neccessary for doing transactions, whereas on traditional blockchain the miner has do to PoW even if there's no transaction in the block.
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 06:33:34 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2016, 06:43:53 PM by kiklo

Bitcoin itself has proven PoW a failure.
As the entire BTC community completely ignores the fact that China has had the capability to 51% attack it for close to a year.
Some communities are even starting to raise the electric rates for PoW Mining operations.
https://www.americascardroom.eu/blog/2016/07/utility-rates-raised-for-bitcoin-miners-in-washington-state/
PoW is just not a sustainable solution, and already controlled by China. (Might as well just buy the Yuan.)

Proof of Stake is the only Viable Solution to the failure know as Proof of Work.
With PoS, the Value is in the Coin itself, with PoW the Value is in the constantly decreasing value of the ASICS not the coin.
Requiring no more electricity to operate than a PC per household. Cheesy

Time will make this abundantly clear to the short sighted.   Wink

Cool

FYI:
IMO,
ZEIT PoS Specs will outshine them all.  Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: