Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:20:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Counterfeit money on Silk Road?  (Read 12445 times)
predic

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 01:09:59 PM

But you're not holding fiat to yourself, like you would with a Picasso. Instead, you're just passing it further - you spend it. I don't see how it would hurt the average Joe!
And again, I'm talking about really qualitative stuff here, mainly coins, that are not easy to spot at all, maybe even impossible!

than why you try to sell it, when quality is sooooooo gooooood? just go in the shop and spend it or in the bank and put all that money in your bank account and become rich. cheater always stay cheater: "my product is the best, impossible to discover that it is fake, tralala". if anyone use logic, he will ask himself why you sell him almost real coins for some small part of money when you could spend that money by yourself. answer is: you are cheater and you need stupid victim.

do you know what happen with cheaters in drug trade? they finish dead. therefore cheaters stay small criminals, they know what happen with such people in big business.

debit cards websites are companies registered in London by Lithuanians who demand from you your phone, ID and utility bill, that's enough for them to make offshore companies on your name without your knowledge and they can get a bank account and make financial crimes on your name, or they can simply sell IDs. don't give to anyone too much info.
why they need more than your ID when your local bank demands only ID?
don't use coinbase, they are NSA spying shit, they make database of people that use bitcoins.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Emil

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:01:46 PM

I bet the costs of a quality setup capable of printing USD notes are very high. There can't be many counterfeiters of paper U.S. money out there, right? And I would imagine that they want a quick ROI. Not something they'd get selling them at a trickle on Silk Road, where every shipment increases their exposure to law enforcement.
fivebells

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 03:56:24 AM

Just out of curiosity, why is the sale of counterfeit money prohibited on Silk Road? Does anyone know?
The Secret Service is a lot scarier than the DEA. </speculation>
mappum

Activity: 82
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 03:59:56 AM

At least there is no counterfeit bitcoins! (until people start paying with physical bitcoins instead of just using them as storage).
DenverDave1

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 06:01:02 PM

than why you try to sell it, when quality is sooooooo gooooood? just go in the shop and spend it or in the bank and put all that money in your bank account and become rich. cheater always stay cheater: "my product is the best, impossible to discover that it is fake, tralala". if anyone use logic, he will ask himself why you sell him almost real coins for some small part of money when you could spend that money by yourself. answer is: you are cheater and you need stupid victim.

do you know what happen with cheaters in drug trade? they finish dead. therefore cheaters stay small criminals, they know what happen with such people in big business.

You're so dumb you steal free samples dude. Get lost.

He actually made a great point. If coins are that good, just put them in a bank.
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 06:26:26 PM

On a different note, wouldn't it be a great way to destabilize a bit the fiat currencies and turn the attention of the masses to Bitcoin? I know it's sounds a bit evil, but the fascinating thing about Bitcoin is that it's absolutely possible! Smiley

I once imagined a similar thing.
Sites like Silk Road would sell all the equipment and raw materials needed to make high-quality counterfeit money. Brave (crazy?) activists would use such equipment to produce lots of fake money, and just mail packs of cash anonymously to random people all over. As they wouldn't be spending the money themselves, they wouldn't even need to worry with laundering it.

But I guess that, as somebody pointed above, that would probably be moot compared to how much the governments already prints. Cheesy

Plus, the risks and difficulties involved would probably be very high.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 06:55:40 PM

Don't know why you guys are all so against the idea! You (as much as me) hate fiat! How come you call the killing of a less efficient, faker and weaker currency immoral? Huh

Because this way of doing it hurts me, and other innocents, as the result of a direct, intentional act of yours.

Let's suppose you actually manage to flood enough fake fiat on the market to cause 10% inflation. Just suppose.

You've essentially stolen 10% of my dollar-based savings. Not to mention my extended family (who hold more of their savings in dollars than I do.) You've done the exact same thing that central banks are despised for, only you smile and justify it by saying you're helping everyone out.

And of course, there's the more personal example. Suppose you hand out your fake money (fraudulently), and it winds up in the hands of my mother. She tries to deposit it in a bank, and gets arrested. Whether she actually is sentenced to jail isn't my point: just the fact that she would be publicly embarrassed, arrested, and forced to endure that hassle would all be the direct result of your decision to commit fraud, and she would have simply been an innocent caught in the crossfire of your attack on fiat money.

Those immoral outcomes are why I'm personally against such an idea.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
stcupp

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 07:57:51 PM

I just wanted to tell a ironic story

I grew up in a small town with about 2000 people here in the US. This town has about 10 cops that are dirty as fuck. All through highschool me and everyone I know have been harassed by these dickheads getting pulled over for no reason getting our cars searched sometimes on a daily basis sometimes the cops would just take our money saying it was "drug money" , I've had cops enter my house about 3 different times without a search warrant one of those times the cop kicked my door in and they wouldn't even pay to fix or replace the door, getting tickets for shit that we didn't do.... I've seen many people try to protest these tickets and get sent to jail all the cop has to do is make something up the judges always take a cops word over yours. anyway i guess there was alot of counterfeit money going around at one point.The banks turned in a bunch of it to our cops and a couple weeks later the feds came in and arrested one of them for spending this counterfeit money that never got turned into the feds(Law enforcement is supposed to turn in any counterfeit money to the feds immediately) after further investigation they found out 5 of these cops and just about everyone at the little city court had been embezzling money from tickets and the cops were not turning in drugs and other evidence but keeping it instead.... only 1 of the cops went to jail and he only got 2 years

I live in west virginia and every cop i've ever seen here has been dirty as fuck
bitballinsohard

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 08:57:22 AM

I live in Pa and cops here are dirty ass muther fukers too.  Drugs rule pigs drool and snitches get stitches. ftw
Mellivora

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 08:11:59 PM

From my perspective on interpreting the libertarian philosophy... contracts are sacred.

In an ideal world, two parties should be able to buy and sell whatever they want (as long as no other entities have their rights violated) without any interference from a third party (such as government).

To be fraudulent on a contract voids the contract and natural law would allow for self-defense of life and property by the injured party to obtain restitution.

Counterfeiting is fraudulent and natural law justifies self-defense.

However, if two parties were knowingly entering into a contract to exchange counterfeit money, then no one has be defrauded and no crime of nature committed (not counting man-made or bank-made laws).  Think of it as a form of artwork.  Its not until the counterfeit money is used to scam someone does it become a crime.  And a crime it is.

Just because the banks and government does it, doesn't make it any less of a crime for others to do it. 
stcupp

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 10:02:44 PM

From my perspective on interpreting the libertarian philosophy... contracts are sacred.

In an ideal world, two parties should be able to buy and sell whatever they want (as long as no other entities have their rights violated) without any interference from a third party (such as government).

To be fraudulent on a contract voids the contract and natural law would allow for self-defense of life and property by the injured party to obtain restitution.

Counterfeiting is fraudulent and natural law justifies self-defense.

However, if two parties were knowingly entering into a contract to exchange counterfeit money, then no one has be defrauded and no crime of nature committed (not counting man-made or bank-made laws).  Think of it as a form of artwork.  Its not until the counterfeit money is used to scam someone does it become a crime.  And a crime it is.

Just because the banks and government does it, doesn't make it any less of a crime for others to do it. 

+1
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 10:21:25 PM

You will see ...
After the choice of the right BIP xx, there will be p2p-ebay, or p2p-silk-road.
It will be anonymous, unmoderated, with like-zero cost escrow included.
It will change everything, again Cheesy

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: