Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:36:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about the MSc of Digital currency ?  (Read 5460 times)
devnu11

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:30:06 AM

Just to clear things a bit ...

• we're having many bumps during the study, some, but not all, can be attributed to the rapidly developing field (often we're discussing something and at the same time major new developments occur)
  • many (most?) got 50% discount on initial $11k, don't know what are the prices ATM
  • one big advantage of such program is that it forces you to study systematically ... compare 10-15h per week of focused study versus random internet searching ... to some, it is important that they obtain a wider picture and myself i'm starting to think about things in ways i've not imagined before
  • if I knew how this would turn out, I wouldn't enroll, because I'm more into development and so far we've had none or almost none
  • if you enjoyed the MOOC, this MSc is just getting much deeper into each of MOOC's topics

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1147

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 10:25:39 AM

The best thing about bitcoin is that its open source, you want to learn about it and study it then download the whitepaper, study the github, install the client and teach yourself the commands.

I am currently studying the DFIN-511-MOOC 3.0, it's a great course but no course is going to show you everything especially in such a rapidly growing field. Bitcoin is endless but the MSc does help

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
devnu11

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 05:14:08 PM

There was a short intro about MSc at one of recent MOOC session, for anyone interested, start watching at 1:02

https://youtu.be/C8E5t5J9Rio
Tey

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 09:53:07 AM

yes agree that everyone should take the free online MOOC, the information on the MSc is available online and free , its the whole arrangement and presentation of the material that i like. Pus the forum and the weekly meetings with Andreas Ant. makes it worth to go for it.
University of Nicosea is not the best in the world , but still its the first to offer blockchain based certifications instructed by reputable experts such as Andreas Ant.

Thanks for the shout out, RockHound!

Bit_Happy raises an extremely valid point.

For me, applying for this MSc in Digital Currency was a no-brainer.  I plan on eventually going to graduate school and I need a Master's to "make up" for my abysmal undergraduate GPA Tongue.

Tao67, I'll address your cons list one by one:

Cons :

- the University of Nicosia is not the best university in the world

That might be true...  Even through the incredibly "objective" paradigm of college rankings:  If and when an actual "best" university in the world, such as MIT, launches a MSc in Digital Currency... UNic will still be #2; furthermore, Unic will still be the 1st University to have started the trend.

- i am afraid it will be only a vague introduction and not enough technical

I think this concern is unfounded.  The courses are not going to be code-intensive so there is that intrinsic cap on how technical things will be getting; however, with Andreas heavily involved in the curriculum design I have no doubt that I will be challenged, regardless.

- it is quite expensive for an online program

The distance learning is a feature and I don't think we should compare UNic to UPheonix online courses.  Furthermore, compared to other Master's programs, UNic is cheaper.

- the best way to work in bitcoin industry, is maybe to do your normal job applied in a bitcoin company

I graduated in May 2013.  I didn't yet exactly have a "normal job" that I could transplant into the Bitcoin industry, which is something a LOT of y'all do.  I think anyone with set skills that they know can be applied in a Bitcoin company right now should try to go that route with the next 18 months.  I would recommend those that are currently finishing their undergraduate degrees, or those that recently received their undergraduate degrees, apply for the entire program. 

I recommend that everyone in the entire fuckin' world sign up for the free Introduction to Digital Currency course.

DOTMHG

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:16:47 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2018, 09:29:00 PM by DOTMHG

The MOOC was supposed to start yesterday.. Did anyone receive information regarding it?

Yes, it started already.

I am 4 Years Late on this one. Better late then Never Anyway!  Just completed the MOOC9 (Awesome Course) and my Certificate is on the Blockchain now.  I have also just been granted a place on the MSc Digital Currency programme (Of cause this includes the Blockchain Technology and a lot more). 15K euro.  Heading for a scholarship if i can get one
boy130

Activity: 616
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 09:24:03 PM

Looks like a money grab. Usually any degree that can be completed entirely online will not be seen as desirable by employers. And in the crypto-sphere, the only thing that really matters is experience, which is quite easy to get if you have the contacts and perseverance necessary. Unless it's almost free, don't bother with it in my opinion, I'm sure you can get the same info for free from Udemy, and the qualification will be similarly poorly recognized.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: