Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:38:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay - the first tech giant to accept Bitcoin?  (Read 6711 times)
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 08:31:24 PM

The BTC user base is so small, less than 1 million people, that there would be no invective for eBay to accept BTC. It's kind of silly to think that eBay or any large corporation is considering adopting BTC in the near-future. It's not worth the trouble for large companies to start accepting BTC, especially since the bottom line for them is potential profits. Maybe if the BTC user base was huge, they would consider adding it, but not the other way around. Btw, ebay sucks and their fees are ridiculous.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CoinRocka

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:37:29 PM

The BTC user base is so small, less than 1 million people, that there would be no invective for eBay to accept BTC. It's kind of silly to think that eBay or any large corporation is considering adopting BTC in the near-future. It's not worth the trouble for large companies to start accepting BTC, especially since the bottom line for them is potential profits. Maybe if the BTC user base was huge, they would consider adding it, but not the other way around. Btw, ebay sucks and their fees are ridiculous.

I think good smart companies are proactive ones as well.
RomertL

Activity: 470

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:25:55 AM

You don't consider Overstock a large corporation?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████▀
░░░░░░░▄████░░████████▀
░░▄█████████████████▀
░░░████████████████▀
░░░░██████████████▀
░░░░░██████░░█████▀
░░░░░░██████████▀
░░░░░░░████████▀
░░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░░░░░░░█▀

▄████████████▀▀█▄
████▀▀▀▀▀░░░▄ ░██
██▄░░░░░░░▄▀░░███
████▄░░░▄▀░░░████
██████▄█░░░░█████
████████░▄░██████
▀███████████████▀
▄████▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▄
████░▄▀▀▀▀▀▄░████
██▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀██
█▀░░░█▀█░█▀█░░░▀█
█░░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░░█
█▄░░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░░██
▀██▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██▀

▄█▀███████▀▀████▄
██░░▀███▀░░░░▀▄██
███░░░░▀░░░░░░▄██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████▄░░░░░░░░▄██
██▄░░░░░░░░░▄████
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████▀░▀▀▀▀░▀████
████░░░░░░░░░░███
████▄░░░░░░░░▄███
█▀████▄▄░░▄▄█████
██▄▀▀▀▀░░░░██████
▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██░██
██░▄███████▄░█░██
██░█▄▄▄▄▄███░█░██
██░▀███████▀░████
███▄▄░░░▄▄▄▄█████
▀█████▄█████████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░▄▀█▀██▄░▀███
██░▄█▀░▀░▀▀██▄░██
██░███░▀▀▀ ▀██░██
██░███░████░██░██
██▄░█▄░▄░▄▄▄▀░▄██
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀

Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:52:46 AM

I've said this before, but Ebay won't ever accept Bitcoin. But that doesn't mean Paypal won't.

Its much simpler for them to allow users to fund their Paypal account through Bitcoin deposits, instead of allowing direct payments on Ebay. It solves both of their problems because they can accept Bitcoin and still collect on the Paypal transaction fees.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:39:20 AM

yeah i don't know what he's talking about. tigerdirect and overstock adopting bitcoin has been a boon for their businesses. getting 1 million people, with all these bitcoins to spend, onto your website is good. it also puts tigerdirect and overstock in the spotlight, so they get free press.
mercistheman

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:44:12 AM

In theory does ebay dump more coins than new adopters purchase currency?... IMO this would drop the price for quite a while.... where as stock exchange offers immediate positive impact.
Crindon

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:58:40 AM

It's true, you've already got Donahoe stepping up towards BTC. It makes sense as it represents a new payment system that rivals PayPal and it helps with sellers who have issues with chargebacks. It will definitely be a big plus to ebay and to the Bitcoin community at large.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 05:22:03 AM

My bad, I should have said very large companies. Most people I know have bought something on eBay or Amazon before. Can't say the same for Overstock or Tigerdirect though. I don't think those companies have benefited much from accepting BTC thus far. Do they actually take BTC or use bitpay? Either way, BTC sales are probably like 0.01% of their total sales. A business catering to less than 1 million bitcoin holders doesn't have much to gain right now unless they're planning to hold some of those BTC long-term.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
beetcoin

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:28:00 AM

My bad, I should have said very large companies. Most people I know have bought something on eBay or Amazon before. Can't say the same for Overstock or Tigerdirect though. I don't think those companies have benefited much from accepting BTC thus far. Do they actually take BTC or use bitpay? Either way, BTC sales are probably like 0.01% of their total sales. A business catering to less than 1 million bitcoin holders doesn't have much to gain right now unless they're planning to hold some of those BTC long-term.

the numbers are very promising. overstock supposedly brings in 20k-30k every day, and the number is probably growing. they keep a portion in btc, but they conver to cash mostly. we are also sitting here talking about overstock, so that's free publicity/advertising too.

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/overstock-ceo-20-30k-bitcoin-sales-every-day/
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:32:34 AM

I think good smart companies are proactive ones as well.

This right here. Keep in mind that most Bitcoin users are technology buffs (in some way or another). A tech company accepting Bitcoin is a huge + and increases their business (theoretically) since that's who we, as a whole, are.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:08:52 AM

the numbers are very promising. overstock supposedly brings in 20k-30k every day, and the number is probably growing. they keep a portion in btc, but they conver to cash mostly. we are also sitting here talking about overstock, so that's free publicity/advertising too.

Overstock is yet to enable Bitcoin payments for international buyers. Right now, the facility is just available to those customers in the United States. Once they enable it to the international clients, the volume will also increase by many times.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:14:09 AM

I think if Newegg would take Bitcoin, that would be MASSIVE. There are tons of miners here that buy from Newegg on a regular basis, and they are the perfect company for something like this.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:26:37 AM

I think if Newegg would take Bitcoin, that would be MASSIVE. There are tons of miners here that buy from Newegg on a regular basis, and they are the perfect company for something like this.

I agree, someone who's doing hardware sales or in general targeting techy customers is likely to see the benefit of accepting bitcoins before a general merchant like ebay.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:29:58 AM

I agree, someone who's doing hardware sales or in general targeting techy customers is likely to see the benefit of accepting bitcoins before a general merchant like ebay.

I'd also argue that Overstock, despite having success with Bitcoin, is nowhere near where someone like Newegg would be. I don't even use Overstock, and most of us around here probably don't.

Crindon

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:34:30 AM

eBay is already accepting Bitcoin. There are subsections of the site for the purchase of Bitcoin and the goods related to Bitcoin mining. It will be a matter of time when this trickles down to Paypal and Paypal will accept Bitcoin. The first hit should be Amazon. I like Amazon a lot better than ebay.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:35:18 AM

eBay is already accepting Bitcoin. There are subsections of the site for the purchase of Bitcoin and the goods related to Bitcoin mining. It will be a matter of time when this trickles down to Paypal and Paypal will accept Bitcoin. The first hit should be Amazon. I like Amazon a lot better than ebay.

They mean accepting as in you can buy things on eBay using Bitcoin. They aren't "accepting," they are just allowing people to auction them. Two very different things.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:05:40 AM

They mean accepting as in you can buy things on eBay using Bitcoin. They aren't "accepting," they are just allowing people to auction them. Two very different things.

Users here tend to over-hype the positive news. Ebay is no where close to accepting Bitcoins. But the fact that they are no longer banning users for auctioning Bitcoin-related stuff means that they are moving in the right direction.
beetcoin

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:14:52 AM

Overstock is yet to enable Bitcoin payments for international buyers. Right now, the facility is just available to those customers in the United States. Once they enable it to the international clients, the volume will also increase by many times.

i don't know about that - where are most of the bitcoins sitting? america is far ahead of the game.. and it also depends on how much overstock's business model relies on international sales vs. domestic.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:20:00 AM

Users here tend to over-hype the positive news. Ebay is no where close to accepting Bitcoins. But the fact that they are no longer banning users for auctioning Bitcoin-related stuff means that they are moving in the right direction.

It's hard to tell whether or not they are going to yet. Their patent is based on Bitcoin, though, and the CEO said they will be adding it to Paypal and eBay (or at least insinuated that) recently. I don't think that feeling it's going to happen soon is overhyping at all.

Ginos

Activity: 116
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:09:36 AM

ebay is the same company as papyal so they earn in both sides from  paypal and ebay commissions so i don't think they can use bitcoin also how can they handle the return or refund policy wih bitcoin ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: