Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:26:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay - the first tech giant to accept Bitcoin?  (Read 6711 times)
_smudger_ (OP)

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:23:01 AM

I believe Ebay is the best company to target next (in accepting Bitcoin).

They have lagged behind the other tech giants and are always looking for the best way to catch-up.

Bitcoin could be the answer.

Also they have talked about it in the past ( http://smartbusinessbrief.com/ebay-considering-accepting-bitcoin-as-payment/) and they have recently added a digital-currency section (https://coinreport.net/ebay-digital-currency-section/).

If Ebay get's on board I believe there is no stopping Bitcoin then.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trace666

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:25:52 AM

Since ebay owns PayPal, this is unlikely to happen.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:26:40 AM

If ebay implement a digital currency it is very likely to be something they control.

In fact didnt they apply for a patent or something similar for their own "e-cash".
_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:36:12 AM

They just need a push in the right direction  Wink

Paypal president David Marcus - "I really like Bitcoin"

https://coinreport.net/david-marcus-paypal-bitcoin/

Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:49:28 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2014, 12:17:42 PM by Chronikka

Paypal is not considered a bank but in many ways it operates like one. You can keep money in your account, spend it and accept money into the account like a bank . Also they offer debit card services, just like a bank would.

The reality is Bitcoin and Paypal are direct competition. More so than fiat and Bitcoin. Paypal is an internet Payment processor, dealing in cash. Bitcoin is a currency and payment platform that seeks to circumvent the need for middlemen. Bitcoin is designed to cut companies like Paypal out of the picture.

So in order for Ebay to accept Bitcoin, they will be making a conscious decision to accept less money via Paypal. I don't know if that is a good business decision for them. They pretty much have a lock down on their customer base by requiring Paypal on most transactions. And of course they levy a nice fee on all of those transactions. Why would they change that? If they did accept Bitcoin I can almost guarantee that they will have some sort of "service fee" attached to all bitcoin transactions in order to recoup lost Paypal money.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Domino

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:00:34 PM

Paypal is not considered a bank but in many ways it operates like one. You can keep money in your account, spend it and accept money into the account like a bank . Also they offer debit card services, just like a bank would.

The reality is Bitcoin and Paypal are direct competition. More so than fiat and Bitcoin. Paypal is an internet Payment processor, dealing in cash. Bitcoin is a currency and payment platform that seeks to circumvent the need for middlemen. Bitcoin is designed to cut companies like Paypal out of the picture.

So in order for Ebay to accept Bitocin, they will be making a conscious decision to accept less money via Paypal. I don't know if that is a good business decision for them. They pretty much have a lock down on their customer base by requiring Paypal on most transactions. And of course they levy a nice fee on all of those transactions. Why would they change that? If they did accept Bitcoin I can almost guarantee that they will have some sort of "service fee" attached to all bitcoin transactions in order to recoup lost Paypal money.

Well said.
At this moment, eBay should have no incentive in accepting bitcoin now.

_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:03:59 PM

Whilst it's true we would expect Ebay/Paypal to be naturally competing with Bitcoin, we can't dismiss the possibility that they could have come up with a business model that embraces the digital currency.

They might realize that the technology is inevitable and be willing to implement something early on using the Ebay/Paypal brand.

Either that or be replaced eventually!

http://altcoinpress.com/2014/02/breaking-ebay-ceo-suggests-paypal-bitcoin-integration-coming/  

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:10:39 PM

It doesn't really matter whether David Marcus likes Bitcoin or not. He might be a genuine guy. But as long as Pierre Omidyar is the owner of Ebay / Paypal, I am 100% sure that they will never ever accept Bitcoin.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 01:28:25 PM

So in order for Ebay to accept Bitcoin, they will be making a conscious decision to accept less money via Paypal. I don't know if that is a good business decision for them. They pretty much have a lock down on their customer base by requiring Paypal on most transactions. And of course they levy a nice fee on all of those transactions. Why would they change that? If they did accept Bitcoin I can almost guarantee that they will have some sort of "service fee" attached to all bitcoin transactions in order to recoup lost Paypal money.

I think it'd be smart if paypal turned into a bitpay/coinbase type of company when it comes to bitcoin. Allowing merchants to accept btc and change it to fiat instantly.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 01:32:28 PM

Actually they will/have separated those 2 companies I believe.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:24:06 PM

i dont think that bitcoin will ever be accepted by paypal i think paypal will never have anything to do with crytpo because it will hurt their business. althougt bitcoin would be great for paypal and avoid a lot of scammers and such

Chronikka

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:26:42 PM

Paypal is considered a division of Ebay. A wholly owned subsidiary, operated by Ebay inc.

There was a proposal from a 1% shareholder (Carl Icahn) like a month ago that would effectively separate the companies by creating a Paypal like spinoff. But Ebay's management disagreed and is urging other shareholders to vote against the proposal.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
kevindurant

Activity: 546

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:12:33 PM

eBay is the last resort for Bitcoin, since Paypal is there.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:22:53 PM

That's why I am saying again and again that we should not pickup the begging bowl and stand in front of Pierre Omidyar. We should start a similar venture which accepts Bitcoins... Earlier there was Bitmit... but it vanished without a trace.
pokerFace2

Activity: 143

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:25:18 PM

Bitcoin = PayPal competition
Ebay will accept Bitcoin only when it will become necessary for Ebay to stay top auction site. In other word, not anytime soon.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:30:25 PM

paypal has damaged western union over the last decade.. why?
because paypal did NOT ask western union to accept paypal.

amazon is damaging paypal/ebay over the last few years.. why?
because amazon offers a better customer service and products that dont end up as cement wrapped in a box.

bitcoin is/will damage paypal, banks, amazon... why?
because we need to realise that we are the evolution of money and trade. we do not need the neanderthal to use us, we simply need to realise that we are better, and prove it by beating the neanderthals with skills, knowledge, better businesses and strategy.

here are some idea's
1) make a bitcoin version of ebay that is better then ebay - promote it. dont just sit there only talking about it within the community
2) in your area if you are having a hard time getting bitcoin locally. then become your local bitcoin service.
3) find other niche markets or services you feel would benefit from bitcoin. and start up a bitcoin version of that service/business
4) don't sit around waiting for other people to come into your area and do stuff for you. be inspired to do it yourself

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:34:03 PM

That's why I am saying again and again that we should not pickup the begging bowl and stand in front of Pierre Omidyar. We should start a similar venture which accepts Bitcoins... Earlier there was Bitmit... but it vanished without a trace.

+1.
It would create pressure for eBay to accept bitcoin, if we have more and bigger Bitmit-like sites.
freshdzine

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:36:12 PM

I hear talk about creating an EBAY for Bitcoin. Are people not aware of Bitcoin Shop? It accepts, Bitcoin, Dogecoin and Litecoin. It has been trading on the stockmarket under ticker symbol BTCS. Wildly in fact for the last few days. True Bitcoin supporters should support this stock and store as well. Lack of being informed in general about Bitcoin news and support seems to be in issue.  Embarrassed
Chronikka

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:48:30 PM

+1.
It would create pressure for eBay to accept bitcoin, if we have more and bigger Bitmit-like sites.

There are services like this out there. They are growing, but it takes time. Many of them don't just accept Bitcoin either but many other currencies. They are designed to be payment platforms, not limited to just one currency.

coinpayments.net is an example

redguard

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:54:21 PM

I always thought Paypal as the guy holding the money until you verify that you get what you ordered. If everything checks out, the vendor gets the money.
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:55:35 PM

Indeed, paypal owns ebay and paypal suspends account if any bitcoin - related transaction is done with paypal. That tells that they are strongly agains bitcoin?
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:43:26 PM

The thing is that Paypal doesn't deal in actual currency but in debt so had they began accepting Bitcoin not a single thing would change, it would probably make Bitcoin worse due to fractional reserve banking, there would then be 50, 100, 500 million Bitcoins in "existence" since everyone would keep their balance on Paypal without having control over the private keys.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

MegaHustlr

Activity: 601

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:56:27 PM

Ebay wont do this as long as they are with paypal. paypal and bitcoin dont mix..

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█
  █           ▀▄      ▐█▀       ▀█           ▀▀
  █▄           ██     ██         ██▄
   █▀            ▀     ▀          ▀█▀

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄██▄▄                ▄▄██▄
  ████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████▌
█████▀                  ▀█████▌
████    ███▄      ▄███    ████▌
████   ▐████      ████▌   ████
 ███    ▀██▀      ▀██▀    ███▀
  ▀██▄                  ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████████████████▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
Chronikka

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:04:06 PM

The thing is that Paypal doesn't deal in actual currency but in debt so had they began accepting Bitcoin not a single thing would change, it would probably make Bitcoin worse due to fractional reserve banking, there would then be 50, 100, 500 million Bitcoins in "existence" since everyone would keep their balance on Paypal without having control over the private keys.

But they do deal in currency. You can "deposit" money into your Paypal account just like you would a bank account. Its not their money its yours. They are holding the funds until you spend it or withdraw it. Just like a bank.

CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:17:24 PM

Paypal will begin to use bitcoin, when it it financially beneficial to them. Paypal and bitcoin are compatible. Paypal could easily let you fund your balance, or even keep btc in one of their wallets as part of your paypal balance. The "benefit" they would provide to their users is buyer and seller protection (as they already do). Bitcoins irreversibility is no different than USD, if it's done in this way. If I pull USD out of my paypal, it's gone. They can't get it back. What they can do is take it out of what is still in my account, possibly leaving my account negative. Paypal could then allow people to send and receive funds as BTC, regardless of where it's going or coming from. Bitcoin won't kill paypal... but it may make change their business model a bit. More and more bitcoin will be used to circumvent paypal (specifically their fees, and their dispute resolution that is generally unfavorable to sellers). Bitcoin can force paypal to lower their fees, or provide more reasonable protection to sellers. Many people will find they can not trust themselves to make p2p bitcoin transaction, or simply would rather have paypal as a dispute moderator.

Paypal already takes a cut when converting between currencies. BTC would be no different. They take transaction fees on top of that.

The best thing we can do to convince paypal to adopt bitcoin is to keep getting sights to offer bitcoin as an alternative. Some emails to paypal as customers (rather than bitcoiners), asking them to look at bitcoin to see what they can do to make it safer for people to use, may get their attention.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
stokecrypto

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:46:46 PM

if ebay use anything it will be ripple
CoinDiver

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:50:21 PM

if ebay use anything it will be ripple

Why? It's out of their control. What benefit would ripple be to paypal, that paypal couldn't implement themselves?

stokecrypto

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:57:12 PM

you need to look at the people and organizations that are behind the development ripple to answer your question
CoinDiver

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:59:27 PM

you need to look at the people and organizations that are behind the development ripple to answer your question

I don't care to. I got my free ripple a while back... and have no further use for it. Either you can explain here, or I'll move along.

madmadmax

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 09:49:15 PM

But they do deal in currency. You can "deposit" money into your Paypal account just like you would a bank account. Its not their money its yours. They are holding the funds until you spend it or withdraw it. Just like a bank.

You can "deposit" debt, they don't accept currency deposits. You cannot send them the bills.

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

Chronikka

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 10:10:13 PM

You can "deposit" debt, they don't accept currency deposits. You cannot send them the bills.

Not true.

https://www.paypal-cash.com/

They don't have branches or atms like a normal bank, but they absolutely accept bills. You can also withdraw cash, or by check (not really cash...but close). Its just done at a service counter, at a place like CVS for example, instead of a typical bank branch.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:08:26 AM

I don't see ebay accepting BTC anytime soon, because there is still so much chargebacks and fraud going on with ebay.  Since with BTC, the buyer doesn't really have that much protection...there needs to be some sort of infrastructure created that protects both sides.
pabpete

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:11:39 AM

If you can't beat em join em.
cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:29:59 AM

This.

Paypal are such fucking scammers. Just the other day i got a chargeback from a scammer (a buyer) for a 15$ sale and i was charged 10$ in reversal fees on top of that !!

What a fucking joke.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:19:46 AM

This.

Paypal are such fucking scammers. Just the other day i got a chargeback from a scammer (a buyer) for a 15$ sale and i was charged 10$ in reversal fees on top of that !!

What a fucking joke.

I had a chargeback from a buyer who said that it was a fraudulent purchase and I even had the delivery confirmation with a signature (and he signed it his name)
Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:36:48 AM

This.

What a fucking joke.

I had a chargeback from a buyer who said that it was a fraudulent purchase and I even had the delivery confirmation with a signature (and he signed it his name)

That chargeback is successful even with that signed delivery confrimation?  Shocked

Chronikka

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:02:22 PM

This.

What a fucking joke.

That chargeback is successful even with that signed delivery confrimation?  Shocked

That's Paypal for you...they pretty much automatically take the buyer's side in any conflict. And by extension, so does Ebay. Some time ago Ebay even removed the option for sellers to give negative feedback to buyers. Read their policies its ridiculous. That's why so many people are looking for alternatives.

Cryptogirl82

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:03:49 PM

Ebay will never accept bitcoin, they have paypal!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jubalix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 12:31:41 PM

moneys not in retail. Ebay/Amazon, would not benefit BTC much inmho

Admitted Practicing Lawyer::BTC/Crypto Specialist. B.Engineering/B.Laws

https://www.binance.com/?ref=10062065
Chronikka

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:37:47 PM

It wouldn't benefit BTC? Are you nuts? Bitcoin is a currency, what good is it if we can't even buy things at two of the largest online retailers?

SomethingElse

Activity: 210

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:17:51 PM

Apple worried that ipad mini might cannibalize sells of ipad air.  They were right and it did, but the end result was more ipads total sold and therefore more money for Apple.  Ebay is in the making money business.  Remember the scene from Fight Club where the guy explains about the formulas big insurance companies use when deciding to pay or not pay, well..... Ebay has those same sleazy number crunchers and when one of them says Ebay will make more money and not less by accepting bitcoin, they will.  Same with Amazon, and same with all the rest.  Ebay will let PayPal slip down some if it means more profit total.  That is the rule of for profit companies and those that don't follow fall away.  Ebay know this and so do the rest. 

TigerDirect did the numbers and realized they would get a bump, not so much from the bitcoin, but from the publicity.  It worked. Bitcoin wasn't a revolutionary new way to make money for Tiger or Overstock, it was cheap advertising.  Ebay and Amazon don't need that advertising.  If bitcoin wins them, bitcoin has become a very serious player. 

NEM
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 01:17:56 PM

Indeed, paypal owns ebay and paypal suspends account if any bitcoin - related transaction is done with paypal. That tells that they are strongly agains bitcoin?
Yet Ebay has an category for cryptocurrencies. No, the policy isn't really the same with both companies.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
CoinDiver

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:21:54 PM

I don't think you guys understand how small of a profit margin some of these companies work on. Eliminating credit card fees is HUGE.

jubalix
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 01:43:28 PM

It wouldn't benefit BTC? Are you nuts? Bitcoin is a currency, what good is it if we can't even buy things at two of the largest online retailers?

retail, is a small part of the economy, ebay and amazon sell alot of plascraptic deprecating assets. Real money is in financial instruments, forex, appreciating assets etc.

what does anyone even buy from ebay/amazon that is so essential?

Forex in one day is near 3 Trillion. That's more than ebay+amazon+ whoever else you want to put in, in a day.

ebay is worth what...6000 houses in a decent metro area, soo can house 18000 - 24000 people. That's not that much.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 02:48:36 PM

paypal insurance is how they made it big this business is not threatened by Bitcoin at all

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
SomethingElse

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 03:11:02 PM

I don't think you guys understand how small of a profit margin some of these companies work on. Eliminating credit card fees is HUGE.

I know that Ebay gets a cut and then Paypal takes a cut so that for each sell the buyer pays the price bid, but the seller can get 5-10% taken out of the total.  Of course the sellers want to accept bitcoin, but does Ebay want to let them do that.  Buyers don't see the charges, but the sellers are including those fees in the prices they want to charge.  So yes, bitcoin can save buyers and sellers money, but not Ebay.  What do you think Ebay is going to do?

NEM
titan86

Activity: 46

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 06:48:46 PM

Ebay is the best company to target in accepting Bitcoin. but it will never does!
Chronikka

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 07:28:32 PM

retail, is a small part of the economy, ebay and amazon sell alot of plascraptic deprecating assets. Real money is in financial instruments, forex, appreciating assets etc.

Forex in one day is near 3 Trillion. That's more than ebay+amazon+ whoever else you want to put in, in a day.

ebay is worth what...6000 houses in a decent metro area, soo can house 18000 - 24000 people. That's not that much.

It has nothing to do with the value of Ebay or any other retail company. It has nothing to do with how much money is in the retail industry.

We are trying to create a decentralized CURRENCY. What is the number one thing we use currency for? To BUY things...Nobody will take Bitcoin seriously until every day online activities are seamless with bitcoin. That means retail purchases.

jubalix
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 09:30:51 PM

It has nothing to do with the value of Ebay or any other retail company. It has nothing to do with how much money is in the retail industry.

We are trying to create a decentralized CURRENCY. What is the number one thing we use currency for? To BUY things...Nobody will take Bitcoin seriously until every day online activities are seamless with bitcoin. That means retail purchases.

btc is a currencyfor purchaseing, but that's not it's only function, nor its main function. The store of wealth and large wealth transfer are by far more important to BTC value, as well as volume fiat in an out of BTC at will. amazon + ebay will quickly use btc when these are large enough

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 09:34:58 PM

Maybe they would give traders the option to pay their fees in Bitcoin, though I'm not sure if that would really benefit anybody as it would only make sense if Bitcoin was a payment option.

I'm sure that they are considering the technology in some capacity.

bitcoinvideos

Activity: 251

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 10:05:08 PM

I think they might play with the idea but how would you pay listers of products? Would you convert to fiat? It seems like a strange way to do business. i.e. accept BTC for payment then convert it into paypal? Although theoretically they could just keep the BTC for ever and never use it. A relatively cheap way to hoard it to be never used again?
Chronikka

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:17:00 PM

I think they might play with the idea but how would you pay listers of products? Would you convert to fiat? It seems like a strange way to do business. i.e. accept BTC for payment then convert it into paypal? Although theoretically they could just keep the BTC for ever and never use it. A relatively cheap way to hoard it to be never used again?

What they would do is integrate Bitcoin into Paypal. Essentially they could turn Paypal into a Bitcoin web wallet, where you deposit Bitcoin just like USD. When you go to check out on Ebay or any other site, you can choose Bitcoin or USD, but its still through Paypal...so they can continue to levy their fees.

This way Ebay can accept Bitcoin transactions, but still force the buyer to go through Paypal.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 08:31:01 AM

Yet only a few accept it right now.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:54:30 AM

ebay will never quit their own money processor for another ...
strikeitrich

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 09:04:57 AM

so the news is not true?
Zebra

Activity: 612

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 09:13:51 AM

so the news is not true?

What news? The thread is made because OP believe it is good to see eBay accepting bitcoin.

They have lagged behind the other tech giants and are always looking for the best way to catch-up.

Also they have talked about it in the past ( http://smartbusinessbrief.com/ebay-considering-accepting-bitcoin-as-payment/) and they have recently added a digital-currency section (https://coinreport.net/ebay-digital-currency-section/).

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 09:40:57 AM

so the news is not true?

What news? The thread is made because OP believe it is good to see eBay accepting bitcoin.

Yeah there is no news here, he was just asking a question. About this being a possibility.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
freshprince

Activity: 116

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 10:16:25 AM

If Ebay ever accepted bitcoin. That would be enough to crack the dam of resistance.
EBay's stamp of approval would cause a massive flight to adoption of bitcoin.
SomethingElse

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:58:50 AM

I agree.  Metaphorically speaking things like this, "just need one single brick in the middle of the wall to be pulled out and the entire wall will eventually fall apart".  With the financial system and bitcoin we need to know how big must that metaphorical brick be, and I am guessing ebay is a big enough brick. 

NEM
mShz

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:25:14 AM

maybe this would happen only when PayPal start to accept BitCoin = never

CoolCoin - Free+IPO POS 30%. CZALWWAXsFHPG8uS7A1dFqVwCvbhLVXJPY
Farmer17

Activity: 674

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:30:03 AM

If Ebay faces more competition from bitcoin-accepting competitors, maybe it will consider accepting bitcoin.

_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 12:15:04 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2014, 12:35:23 PM by _smudger_

If Ebay faces more competition from bitcoin-accepting competitors, maybe it will consider accepting bitcoin.

They better be quick!

https://coinality.com/jobs/ebay-with-bitcoin-odesk/

Ebay with Bitcoin – oDesk
oDesk – Posted by oDesk.com – Anywhere
Job Description

This job will develop a website from the ground level.  It is an ebay clone and uses bitcoin for payment processing.

The ideal candidate will have extensive ecommerce and web programming experience, along with some design skills.  They will also understand the bitcoin API, and be able to program all payment processes done by the website with the API without the use of 3rd party payment APIs.  Obviously, security is of utmost importance.

A successful engagement will provide daily updates via email, and weekly updates via phone.  The candidate will not be micromanaged, but will be required to provide high level walkthroughs on progress, including any issues that may arise.  Documentation of process will be required from day one so that the project may be handed off to a larger team if needed.  The candidate must be willing to work as a team member.

The right freelancer will understand the vision of the project, and be on board.

_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 08:28:01 AM

eBay has filed a patent that is to allow them to start accepting various digital currencies for items sold on their site. One of the coins they have listed is Bitcoin, and according to the patent it would allow them to price items in cash and have the value in Bitcoin converted automatically for each listing.

http://www.geekcipher.com/technology/popular-online-bitcoin-stores/

spring.yu

Activity: 115

Cryptocurrencies is future

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 08:42:48 AM

revilo

Activity: 543

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:12:21 AM

If you want to sell stuff to get bitcoins then do it with webuy.com! They pay out in bitcoin Smiley
dreamspark

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:16:39 AM

If you want to sell stuff to get bitcoins then do it with webuy.com! They pay out in bitcoin Smiley

Is it worldwide?
counter

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:19:53 AM

That is the type of game changing moves needed to take place and open up the eyes of others to the world of Cryptography.

Good to know I have to remember to bookmark that site many thanks for the link.

revilo

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:23:34 AM

Is it worldwide?

I think its just UK now but their website says they have stores all over the world so we should all email them and demand they take bitcoin everywhere!
Sausage

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:27:18 AM

Ebay wont be the first. Maybe amazon.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:50:34 AM

Sooner or later they will consider adopt bitcoin!Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are the future,Paypal has already a lot of haters because of the way they froze the money and close accounts most of the times on no reason. So  if they don't consider accepting bitcoin,slowly they will lose clients .

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
dreamspark

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:52:42 AM

Is it worldwide?

I think its just UK now but their website says they have stores all over the world so we should all email them and demand they take bitcoin everywhere!

Thats fine by me as Im in the UK  Wink

EDIT: woah hang on, thats CEX there huge in this country, when did they start paying out in BTC?
revilo

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:06:53 AM

Is it worldwide?

EDIT: woah hang on, thats CEX there huge in this country, when did they start paying out in BTC?
Today!
BiTJack

Activity: 806

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:09:25 AM

Is it worldwide?

Yes, We now have an official announcement on their blog too. It's time for tech giants to step in too.
pickering7

Activity: 22

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:22:47 AM

PP president love Bitcoins.
PCUser

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:32:04 PM

Ebay is the first tech giant to avoid Bitcoin. this is the reality
Bibop

Activity: 222

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 01:57:20 PM

sadly, not gonna happand
MercyC

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:41:47 PM

Since BitcoinShop.US is a one-stop shop maybe they'll go ahead and beat eBay to the punch! They're still working on overseas shipping though!
_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 06:50:05 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 03:20:02 PM by _smudger_

eBay CEO Asked About Amazon, Bitcoin and Unpopular Seller Policy

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m05/i14/s01

Carl Davis, Jr of the Silicon Valley Black Chamber of Commerce asked Donahoe what he thought of Bitcoin in regards to global trade. The CEO called it a new, exciting and emerging technology. "We think Bitcoin will play a very important role in the future. Exactly how that plays out, and how we can best take advantage of it and enable it with PayPal, that's something we're actively considering. It's on our radar screen."

http://newsbtc.com/2014/05/14/ebay-ceo-think-bitcoin-will-play-important-role-future/

makebitcoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:57:12 PM

This. Businesses like Apple and Amazon are also unlikely to accept Bitcoin because they will prefer to use their own currency (like store credit).
tuneman1980

Activity: 228

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 05:19:22 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/ebay-ceo-actively-considering-bitcoin-integration/

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 05:31:38 PM

They should do it, even though Bitcoin is a competitor to Paypal and the likes of it. This would mean a lot bothways. I wonder if this would be the next thing that would cause a spike in the price. We have been waiting for something for a long time now.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 05:43:27 PM

They should do it, even though Bitcoin is a competitor to Paypal and the likes of it. This would mean a lot bothways. I wonder if this would be the next thing that would cause a spike in the price. We have been waiting for something for a long time now.

5-6 months is not that long  Wink

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 06:51:58 PM

5-6 months is not that long  Wink
Well if you only see negative news in that period (mostly, major), it kind of is. Also if you look at the age of Bitcoin, 5-6 months represents a nice percentage.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beetcoin

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:32:57 PM

i'm just hoping ebay chooses to join bitcoin instead of lumping "speech" (IE: money) with mastercard/visa to stifle bitcoin's development. they can still make money off of it, but probably as much if only paypal/fiat were used.
BitPhotos

Activity: 336

MTA, ACA

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:02:32 PM

the only reason i see this not working is because its p2p meaning if the seller doesnt ship the product, you can refund your paypal money, which you cannot do with bitcoin, UNLESS eBay acts as a third person holding the bitcoin until you receive your product, which could also lead to problems with people saying they never received it even if they did... overall i would love to see BTC accepted but just not sure of the functionality

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:09:12 PM

the only reason i see this not working is because its p2p meaning if the seller doesnt ship the product, you can refund your paypal money, which you cannot do with bitcoin, UNLESS eBay acts as a third person holding the bitcoin until you receive your product, which could also lead to problems with people saying they never received it even if they did... overall i would love to see BTC accepted but just not sure of the functionality
How are other retailers accepting Bitcoin? No this can't cause problems as the blockchain can verify if you have or have not received the coins. Also please note that with the amount of employees that Ebay has, they will probably figure out a model for themselves. They would find a solution that would work specifically on Ebay.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitPhotos

Activity: 336

MTA, ACA

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:35:40 PM

How are other retailers accepting Bitcoin? No this can't cause problems as the blockchain can verify if you have or have not received the coins. Also please note that with the amount of employees that Ebay has, they will probably figure out a model for themselves. They would find a solution that would work specifically on Ebay.
no im talking about sellers, if they dont send the product you payed for and you already payed... im not talking about the bitcoin protocol...

Davis14

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:01:04 AM

I really doubt bitcoin will be accepted by ebay considering paypal hates bitcoin and is the one that supports ebay.

*Link Removed*  [url=h
solimi

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:34:11 AM

I think Paypal will not consider accepting bitcoins, because that EBAY is a financial trusteeship system, the use of a large number of idle funds, but also what Bitcoin spotted this, so they are a competitive relationship.
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:11:37 AM

I'm actually pretty surprised that they are now acknowledging the fact that they are considering BTC. I thought for sure that they would introduce their own virtual currency before allowing the use of a decentralized one that they cannot control.
Bibop

Activity: 222

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:34:49 AM

Only their consideration is a great step for us.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:43:24 AM

It does not matter that PayPal and Bitcoin are competing with each other.  You either improve your business or get replaced.  An example of this is Amazon launching the Kindle, which competes with their physical book sales. 
_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:48:10 AM

It does not matter that PayPal and Bitcoin are competing with each other.  You either improve your business or get replaced.  An example of this is Amazon launching the Kindle, which competes with their physical book sales. 

It's true, these tech giants didn't get where they are today by ignoring new technology. Bitcoin is free at it's most basic level but it doesn't mean companies won't make a lot of money providing services on top of Bitcoin whether you like it or not. The internet is also free (-ish) but look at the money that has been made in this area.

CoinDiver

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:53:27 PM

This is entirely wrong, and not how paypal would implement bitcoin. Paypal would simply treat bitcoin as a currency. Funding for your account could come from bitcoins, as could withdrawals be done in bitcoin. Paypal would charge a fee for the conversion, and for the payment. Bitcoin's irreversibility is no different than cash, which I can withdrawal from paypal already. Paypal can only control the funds you leave in your account, or give them access to. They can't take your USD back, unless you leave them somewhere you've already given them access to. Otherwise, your account simply goes negative. BTC IS NO DIFFERENT THAN USD FOR PAYPAL.

Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:24:03 PM

I had a dream about Bitcoins and Ebay a few months back.
I think its just a dream thought fellas  Shocked
lay785

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:45:40 PM

are there any sites like ebay with feedback and stuff that use only bitcoins?
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:53:06 PM

with paypal/ebay ... the problem is :

- accept bitcoin for ebay transaction
- accept bitcoin for paypal intermediary system (FIAT equivalent)
- accept bitcoin in paypal account (no FIAT transfer)
- accept bitcoin in paypal and transfer to FIAT bank account (exchange system)

in my point, only the number 1 will be released in 2015.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 03:53:28 PM

Accepting Bitcoin would be extremely bad for Ebay's relationship with Paypal. I can't see this actually happening anytime soon.

The parasite called Paypal gives kickbacks to Ebay I'm sure.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 05:36:01 PM

Accepting Bitcoin would be extremely bad for Ebay's relationship with Paypal. I can't see this actually happening anytime soon.

You do realize that Ebay owns Paypal?  Cheesy
I'm pretty sure that they have considered this. But being behind with new technology might be bad as well for them.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beetcoin

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:01:58 PM

if there are, i bet ebay would spend lots of money to prevent it from growing.. either that, or ebay will buy it out. they tried to force craigslist to sell their website to them.
CoinDiver

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:05:06 PM

Ebay will never allow you to take bitcoin directly. Even if ebay didn't own paypal, they'd be stupid to promote the use of bitcoin directly. Ignorant customers would be getting regularly scammed, and sellers could disappear and not pay seller fees. They'd have to recommend a trusted escrow, or even force the use of an escrow service. They basically have that escrow in paypal already. Paypal must see increased profits, or a reduction in lost profits, before they will implement bitcoin. The best thing any of us can do to promote bitcoin to paypal, is to promote bitcoin to ebay users via auctions entirely unrelated to bitcoin. Start adding something about bitcoin to the description of any item you list on ebay. "Don't like paypal? I accept cash or bitcoins in person."

I'm pretty sure that they have considered this. But being behind with new technology might be bad as well for them.

Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:22:05 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/ebay-ceo-actively-considering-bitcoin-integration/

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
paulthetafy

Activity: 820

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 05:18:00 AM

A few people in this thread have asked why ebay-style sites don't already exist, or how long it will be until they do.  We launched CryptoThrift back in November 2013 to fit precisely this market.  We have grown steadily in that time whilst our competitors such as BitMit have failed. We now have over 5000 active users, process thousands of transactions a month, and average upwards of 100k visitors and 750k page views a month.  But clearly we are not doing enough advertising and marketing if we have not yet been mentioned in this post. Smiley  Thankfully we are about to embark on a several campaigns with high-profile publications/websites so hopefully you will hear more of us!

To address one of the other points raised on how to handle payments between buyers and sellers, we have approached this via a built-in and automated escrow service.  Buyers pay for their purchases by sending to our escrow wallet, sellers are notified that their funds are in escrow so can ship the item, buyers release escrow when they receive it (or it happens automatically after 30 days if the buyer doesn't dispute).  With this approach we can offer refunds to buyers if they don't receive their goods, or there is any kind of dispute over quality.  We obviously need to treat refunds on a case-by-case basis but this is no different to paypal disputes.

It is free to list but we charge sellers 2.5% on successfully sold items and buyers 1% if they wish to use our escrow service.  All of our profits go into enhancing the site, new hardware, establishing our company (now registered with ASIC in Australia), and advertising & marketing, and will do so for some time yet.  So why are we doing it for no profit?  Because we agree that eBay are unlikely to accept Bitcoin anytime soon, but equally that there is a market that needs to be filled.  And if we do the hard work now, put our money back into building this service, and build a competitive site, we wont need eBay to ever accept Bitcoin Smiley  So please try us out... https://cryptothrift.com
a7594li

Activity: 711

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 11:03:01 AM

EBay,Just sell Bitcoin,not  accept Bitcoin.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀████████▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ██████████   ▀▀██▄
▄██▀     ████████████     ▀██▄
██▀      ██████████████      ▀██
██▀      ████████████████      ▀██
██▀      ██████████████████      ▀██
▄██      █████████  █████████      ██▄
██      █████████    █████████      ██
██     █████████      █████████     ██
██    █████████        █████████    ██
██   █████████          █████████   ██
▀██ ██████████████████████████████ ██▀
████████████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████████   █████████
████████████████████     ███████
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  .A.P.H.E.L.I.O.N.  [    ] 
▄████████████████████████▄
████████████▀     ████████
███████████       ████████
███████████    ███████████
████████          ████████
████████          ████████
▀████████████████████████▀

████▀  ▀██████████████████
████▄  ▄██████████████████
████    ██    █▀    ▀█████
████    ██     ▄▄     ████
████    ██    ████    ████

███████████████▀▀▀▀███████
████ ▀███████▀      ▀▀▀███
████    ▀▀██▀        ▄████
████▄               ██████
█████▄             ███████
██████▄           ████████
███▀██▀▀        ▄█████████
████▄▄       ▄▄███████████

██████████████████▀▀   ███
██████████████▀▀  ▄█▀ ▄███
██████████▀▀    ▄█▀   ████
██████▀▀      ▄█▀    ▄████
██▀▀        ▄█▀      █████
████▄▄    ▄█▀       ▄█████
████████▄█▀         ██████
██████████   ▄     ▄██████
██████████ ▄████▄▄ ███████
  ▶  Whitepaper
▶  Website
▶  Register
BillieGin

Activity: 253

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 01:46:39 PM

If Ebay ever accepted bitcoin. That would be enough to crack the dam of resistance.
EBay's stamp of approval would cause a massive flight to adoption of bitcoin.
frankenmint
Legendary

Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 01:59:14 PM

A few people in this thread have asked why ebay-style sites don't already exist, or how long it will be until they do.  We launched CryptoThrift back in November 2013 to fit precisely this market.  We have grown steadily in that time whilst our competitors such as BitMit have failed. We now have over 5000 active users, process thousands of transactions a month, and average upwards of 100k visitors and 750k page views a month.  But clearly we are not doing enough advertising and marketing if we have not yet been mentioned in this post. Smiley  Thankfully we are about to embark on a several campaigns with high-profile publications/websites so hopefully you will hear more of us!

To address one of the other points raised on how to handle payments between buyers and sellers, we have approached this via a built-in and automated escrow service.  Buyers pay for their purchases by sending to our escrow wallet, sellers are notified that their funds are in escrow so can ship the item, buyers release escrow when they receive it (or it happens automatically after 30 days if the buyer doesn't dispute).  With this approach we can offer refunds to buyers if they don't receive their goods, or there is any kind of dispute over quality.  We obviously need to treat refunds on a case-by-case basis but this is no different to paypal disputes.

It is free to list but we charge sellers 2.5% on successfully sold items and buyers 1% if they wish to use our escrow service.  All of our profits go into enhancing the site, new hardware, establishing our company (now registered with ASIC in Australia), and advertising & marketing, and will do so for some time yet.  So why are we doing it for no profit?  Because we agree that eBay are unlikely to accept Bitcoin anytime soon, but equally that there is a market that needs to be filled.  And if we do the hard work now, put our money back into building this service, and build a competitive site, we wont need eBay to ever accept Bitcoin Smiley  So please try us out... https://cryptothrift.com
I've seen your store before -what are the most popular sellers.  I'd give it a try but it reminds me of standard bitmit which was cool it seemed like there was no traffic there?

paulthetafy

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 02:30:22 PM

A few people in this thread have asked why ebay-style sites don't already exist, or how long it will be until they do.  We launched CryptoThrift back in November 2013 to fit precisely this market.  We have grown steadily in that time whilst our competitors such as BitMit have failed. We now have over 5000 active users, process thousands of transactions a month, and average upwards of 100k visitors and 750k page views a month.  But clearly we are not doing enough advertising and marketing if we have not yet been mentioned in this post. Smiley  Thankfully we are about to embark on a several campaigns with high-profile publications/websites so hopefully you will hear more of us!

To address one of the other points raised on how to handle payments between buyers and sellers, we have approached this via a built-in and automated escrow service.  Buyers pay for their purchases by sending to our escrow wallet, sellers are notified that their funds are in escrow so can ship the item, buyers release escrow when they receive it (or it happens automatically after 30 days if the buyer doesn't dispute).  With this approach we can offer refunds to buyers if they don't receive their goods, or there is any kind of dispute over quality.  We obviously need to treat refunds on a case-by-case basis but this is no different to paypal disputes.

It is free to list but we charge sellers 2.5% on successfully sold items and buyers 1% if they wish to use our escrow service.  All of our profits go into enhancing the site, new hardware, establishing our company (now registered with ASIC in Australia), and advertising & marketing, and will do so for some time yet.  So why are we doing it for no profit?  Because we agree that eBay are unlikely to accept Bitcoin anytime soon, but equally that there is a market that needs to be filled.  And if we do the hard work now, put our money back into building this service, and build a competitive site, we wont need eBay to ever accept Bitcoin Smiley  So please try us out... https://cryptothrift.com
I've seen your store before -what are the most popular sellers.  I'd give it a try but it reminds me of standard bitmit which was cool it seemed like there was no traffic there?
There are a lot of sales of steam games, gold and silver coins, miners/gpu's, and gift cards, the latter being something we are keen to discourage due to the likelihood of fraud. As for traffic, well it's certainly going to take time to build up, but we're going to hit a million page views this month, which isn't too shabby!
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 03:29:26 PM

Ebay will never allow you to take bitcoin directly. Even if ebay didn't own paypal, they'd be stupid to promote the use of bitcoin directly. Ignorant customers would be getting regularly scammed, and sellers could disappear and not pay seller fees. They'd have to recommend a trusted escrow, or even force the use of an escrow service. They basically have that escrow in paypal already. Paypal must see increased profits, or a reduction in lost profits, before they will implement bitcoin. The best thing any of us can do to promote bitcoin to paypal, is to promote bitcoin to ebay users via auctions entirely unrelated to bitcoin. Start adding something about bitcoin to the description of any item you list on ebay. "Don't like paypal? I accept cash or bitcoins in person."

You can just close your Paypal account and open up a new one it's going to be pretty obvious from the products your selling heaps of businesses have had to be come honest to preserve their Paypal accounts

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
keithers
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 04:31:33 PM

Let me play devils advocate for a moment. Let's say Ebay makes the decision to implement BTC. Do you think there would be a shift from fraudulent buyers, to fraudulent sellers? They would have to come up with clear guidelines on what steps are taken if you purchase something with BTC, and then either never receive what you purchased, or it is damaged. Will Ebay refund you with BTC or fiat? How will they handle it if the price of BTC is significantly different at the time of the refund vs. the time of the purchase?
babahobaba

Activity: 86

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 08:00:48 PM

i wish ebay do so
tuneman1980

Activity: 228

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 08:01:16 PM

Let me play devils advocate for a moment. Let's say Ebay makes the decision to implement BTC. Do you think there would be a shift from fraudulent buyers, to fraudulent sellers? They would have to come up with clear guidelines on what steps are taken if you purchase something with BTC, and then either never receive what you purchased, or it is damaged. Will Ebay refund you with BTC or fiat? How will they handle it if the price of BTC is significantly different at the time of the refund vs. the time of the purchase?

I bet that they would allow you to deposit BTC into a Paypal wallet and only let you pay from there for eBay purchases.  That way they have control over the payment still.  

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
Campsis

Activity: 112

WW3

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 08:46:16 PM

I hope it happens soon!

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:26:56 AM

If some of the big names (such as Ebay or Amazon) start to accept Bitcoin, then it will act similar to a chain reaction. Other top brands also will follow very soon. In no time, we will be seeing a 10-times or even 100-times increase in the exchange rate.
_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:57:45 PM

http://motoringcrunch.com/news/bitcoin-for-paypal-is-it-worth-it/10015628/

BitCoin For PayPal: Is It Worth It?

Aditya

Activity: 164

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 04:00:56 PM

I guess PayPal will offer Bitcoin wallet service and a Bitcoin changer service like CoinBase.

ATLAS.WORK     ║   WHITEPAPER  •  BOUNTIES  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE FREELANCE REVOLUTION
CoinDiver

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:12:01 PM

Huh

This guy only addresses bitcoin as a payment protocol, and not as a currency. Of course paypal wouldn't replace ACH with bitcoin, they'd have to convince banks to do the same. Do people get paid to write shit like this?

Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:20:31 PM

Like others I don't like PayPal at all, but if they do integrate bitcoin then it's amazing simply for free advertising and to show the world that big companies are willing to use it. All it takes is one big player and the rest will follow. I really hope PayPal do accept BTC!

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:08:33 PM

All it takes is one big player and the rest will follow. I really hope PayPal do accept BTC!

Agreed. And note that 99% of the big players (Amazon, Ebay.etc) already accept Paypal. So if Paypal integrates Bitcoin as one of their currencies, then we might not need any more big players.  Grin
hensi

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:16:23 PM

if a giant like ebay starts accepting bitcoins then i think it wud be a giant leap for the btc itself, ebay accepting btc will lead to other giants accepting it too and thus leading to price rise of the bitcoin.
madmadmax

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:00:36 PM

Paypal are just using BTC for publicity, no, they will never integrate Bitcoin

Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

master-P

Activity: 868

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 08:31:24 PM

The BTC user base is so small, less than 1 million people, that there would be no invective for eBay to accept BTC. It's kind of silly to think that eBay or any large corporation is considering adopting BTC in the near-future. It's not worth the trouble for large companies to start accepting BTC, especially since the bottom line for them is potential profits. Maybe if the BTC user base was huge, they would consider adding it, but not the other way around. Btw, ebay sucks and their fees are ridiculous.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
CoinRocka

Activity: 249

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:37:29 PM

The BTC user base is so small, less than 1 million people, that there would be no invective for eBay to accept BTC. It's kind of silly to think that eBay or any large corporation is considering adopting BTC in the near-future. It's not worth the trouble for large companies to start accepting BTC, especially since the bottom line for them is potential profits. Maybe if the BTC user base was huge, they would consider adding it, but not the other way around. Btw, ebay sucks and their fees are ridiculous.

I think good smart companies are proactive ones as well.
RomertL

Activity: 470

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:25:55 AM

You don't consider Overstock a large corporation?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███████▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████▀
░░░░░░░▄████░░████████▀
░░▄█████████████████▀
░░░████████████████▀
░░░░██████████████▀
░░░░░██████░░█████▀
░░░░░░██████████▀
░░░░░░░████████▀
░░░░░░░░██████▀
░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░░░░░░░█▀

▄████████████▀▀█▄
████▀▀▀▀▀░░░▄ ░██
██▄░░░░░░░▄▀░░███
████▄░░░▄▀░░░████
██████▄█░░░░█████
████████░▄░██████
▀███████████████▀
▄████▀▀▀█▀▀▀████▄
████░▄▀▀▀▀▀▄░████
██▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀██
█▀░░░█▀█░█▀█░░░▀█
█░░░░▀▀▀░▀▀▀░░░░█
█▄░░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░░██
▀██▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██▀

▄█▀███████▀▀████▄
██░░▀███▀░░░░▀▄██
███░░░░▀░░░░░░▄██
████░░░░░░░░░░░██
█████▄░░░░░░░░▄██
██▄░░░░░░░░░▄████
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████▀░▀▀▀▀░▀████
████░░░░░░░░░░███
████▄░░░░░░░░▄███
█▀████▄▄░░▄▄█████
██▄▀▀▀▀░░░░██████
▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██░██
██░▄███████▄░█░██
██░█▄▄▄▄▄███░█░██
██░▀███████▀░████
███▄▄░░░▄▄▄▄█████
▀█████▄█████████▀

▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░▄▀█▀██▄░▀███
██░▄█▀░▀░▀▀██▄░██
██░███░▀▀▀ ▀██░██
██░███░████░██░██
██▄░█▄░▄░▄▄▄▀░▄██
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀

Chronikka

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:52:46 AM

I've said this before, but Ebay won't ever accept Bitcoin. But that doesn't mean Paypal won't.

Its much simpler for them to allow users to fund their Paypal account through Bitcoin deposits, instead of allowing direct payments on Ebay. It solves both of their problems because they can accept Bitcoin and still collect on the Paypal transaction fees.

beetcoin

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:39:20 AM

yeah i don't know what he's talking about. tigerdirect and overstock adopting bitcoin has been a boon for their businesses. getting 1 million people, with all these bitcoins to spend, onto your website is good. it also puts tigerdirect and overstock in the spotlight, so they get free press.
mercistheman

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:44:12 AM

In theory does ebay dump more coins than new adopters purchase currency?... IMO this would drop the price for quite a while.... where as stock exchange offers immediate positive impact.
Crindon

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:58:40 AM

It's true, you've already got Donahoe stepping up towards BTC. It makes sense as it represents a new payment system that rivals PayPal and it helps with sellers who have issues with chargebacks. It will definitely be a big plus to ebay and to the Bitcoin community at large.
master-P

Activity: 868

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 05:22:03 AM

My bad, I should have said very large companies. Most people I know have bought something on eBay or Amazon before. Can't say the same for Overstock or Tigerdirect though. I don't think those companies have benefited much from accepting BTC thus far. Do they actually take BTC or use bitpay? Either way, BTC sales are probably like 0.01% of their total sales. A business catering to less than 1 million bitcoin holders doesn't have much to gain right now unless they're planning to hold some of those BTC long-term.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
beetcoin

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:28:00 AM

My bad, I should have said very large companies. Most people I know have bought something on eBay or Amazon before. Can't say the same for Overstock or Tigerdirect though. I don't think those companies have benefited much from accepting BTC thus far. Do they actually take BTC or use bitpay? Either way, BTC sales are probably like 0.01% of their total sales. A business catering to less than 1 million bitcoin holders doesn't have much to gain right now unless they're planning to hold some of those BTC long-term.

the numbers are very promising. overstock supposedly brings in 20k-30k every day, and the number is probably growing. they keep a portion in btc, but they conver to cash mostly. we are also sitting here talking about overstock, so that's free publicity/advertising too.

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/overstock-ceo-20-30k-bitcoin-sales-every-day/
ranlo
Legendary

Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:32:34 AM

I think good smart companies are proactive ones as well.

This right here. Keep in mind that most Bitcoin users are technology buffs (in some way or another). A tech company accepting Bitcoin is a huge + and increases their business (theoretically) since that's who we, as a whole, are.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:08:52 AM

the numbers are very promising. overstock supposedly brings in 20k-30k every day, and the number is probably growing. they keep a portion in btc, but they conver to cash mostly. we are also sitting here talking about overstock, so that's free publicity/advertising too.

Overstock is yet to enable Bitcoin payments for international buyers. Right now, the facility is just available to those customers in the United States. Once they enable it to the international clients, the volume will also increase by many times.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:14:09 AM

I think if Newegg would take Bitcoin, that would be MASSIVE. There are tons of miners here that buy from Newegg on a regular basis, and they are the perfect company for something like this.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
tspacepilot
Legendary

Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:26:37 AM

I think if Newegg would take Bitcoin, that would be MASSIVE. There are tons of miners here that buy from Newegg on a regular basis, and they are the perfect company for something like this.

I agree, someone who's doing hardware sales or in general targeting techy customers is likely to see the benefit of accepting bitcoins before a general merchant like ebay.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:29:58 AM

I agree, someone who's doing hardware sales or in general targeting techy customers is likely to see the benefit of accepting bitcoins before a general merchant like ebay.

I'd also argue that Overstock, despite having success with Bitcoin, is nowhere near where someone like Newegg would be. I don't even use Overstock, and most of us around here probably don't.

Crindon

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:34:30 AM

eBay is already accepting Bitcoin. There are subsections of the site for the purchase of Bitcoin and the goods related to Bitcoin mining. It will be a matter of time when this trickles down to Paypal and Paypal will accept Bitcoin. The first hit should be Amazon. I like Amazon a lot better than ebay.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:35:18 AM

eBay is already accepting Bitcoin. There are subsections of the site for the purchase of Bitcoin and the goods related to Bitcoin mining. It will be a matter of time when this trickles down to Paypal and Paypal will accept Bitcoin. The first hit should be Amazon. I like Amazon a lot better than ebay.

They mean accepting as in you can buy things on eBay using Bitcoin. They aren't "accepting," they are just allowing people to auction them. Two very different things.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:05:40 AM

They mean accepting as in you can buy things on eBay using Bitcoin. They aren't "accepting," they are just allowing people to auction them. Two very different things.

Users here tend to over-hype the positive news. Ebay is no where close to accepting Bitcoins. But the fact that they are no longer banning users for auctioning Bitcoin-related stuff means that they are moving in the right direction.
beetcoin

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:14:52 AM

Overstock is yet to enable Bitcoin payments for international buyers. Right now, the facility is just available to those customers in the United States. Once they enable it to the international clients, the volume will also increase by many times.

i don't know about that - where are most of the bitcoins sitting? america is far ahead of the game.. and it also depends on how much overstock's business model relies on international sales vs. domestic.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:20:00 AM

Users here tend to over-hype the positive news. Ebay is no where close to accepting Bitcoins. But the fact that they are no longer banning users for auctioning Bitcoin-related stuff means that they are moving in the right direction.

It's hard to tell whether or not they are going to yet. Their patent is based on Bitcoin, though, and the CEO said they will be adding it to Paypal and eBay (or at least insinuated that) recently. I don't think that feeling it's going to happen soon is overhyping at all.

Ginos

Activity: 116

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:09:36 AM

ebay is the same company as papyal so they earn in both sides from  paypal and ebay commissions so i don't think they can use bitcoin also how can they handle the return or refund policy wih bitcoin ?
paulthetafy

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:51:16 PM

i don't know about that - where are most of the bitcoins sitting? america is far ahead of the game.. and it also depends on how much overstock's business model relies on international sales vs. domestic.
I'd love to know how you came to the conclusion that most bitcoins are sitting in america, and exactly what you mean by "america is far ahead of the game".  I think you'll find that the volume and magnitude of transactions in China dwarfs those in America, and that general acceptance and positive government responses to Bitcoin usage is far higher in the UK, Europe, and Australia.  I'll concede that there are more vendors in America accepting it right now, and certainly the likes of Overstock are the biggest of these, but to assume that most bitcoin expenditure occurs in America and they wouldn't benefit from international sales is a little short-sighted.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:19:57 AM

Wow, still I think this is quite good news.  Even if ebay themselves aren't accepting, it's great to know that they're allowing auctions that use them.  To be honest, when I can use my bitcoins on amazon, I'll probably start spending them a lot more.  I've basically just been holding what I have (and occasionally gambling).  Amazon is a marketplace I definitely use regularly.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:16:28 AM

Wow, still I think this is quite good news.  Even if ebay themselves aren't accepting, it's great to know that they're allowing auctions that use them.  To be honest, when I can use my bitcoins on amazon, I'll probably start spending them a lot more.  I've basically just been holding what I have (and occasionally gambling).  Amazon is a marketplace I definitely use regularly.

They did say that they are looking into Paypal accepting Bitcoins as well. So it looks like we'll be able to pay using Bitcoin for any items (if they do what they got the patent for).

hensi

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:31:47 AM

They did say that they are looking into Paypal accepting Bitcoins as well. So it looks like we'll be able to pay using Bitcoin for any items (if they do what they got the patent for).
Will we be able to covert bitcoins to usd directly through paypal??
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:54:36 AM

Will we be able to covert bitcoins to usd directly through paypal??

They didn't say anything about that, and I don't think it will happen. By Paypal allowing transfer of Bitcoin for purchases, they are simply mediating sales. If they allow conversion, it brings up more laws and regulations. Being that they are a registered money transmitter it's definitely possible, I just don't think that they want to get into the business of exchanges like that.

Josephhu

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:56:56 AM

Cant wait to see it happens  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: