Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:45:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty for open source ByteCoin/Monero GUI  (Read 40734 times)
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 10:37:53 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2014, 10:57:48 PM by Keyboard-Mash

Update on usage:

I have managed to sync the entire blockchain from scratch, but my daemon log has stopped showing updates. Last height it reported was 25836, but my wallet reports the correct height at this time. Closing the wallet and re-opening it causes the log to display again.

The lack of green, yellow, red, blue, grey and white colored messages is something that I was getting accustomed to . . but with the bugs that are persistent (edit: the ones that they are working on debugging in source, not your program) maybe it's best that the colors aren't used for end-users? Someone should make a decision here, because I don't know . . just pointing that out.

GUI to GUI transfer works.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mozurt

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:51:37 AM

what gui works for windows 32bit ?
BitKoot

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:54:13 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2014, 08:14:46 PM by BitKoot

Thanks for all the feedback! I will try to incorporate as much as spare time allows Smiley

I had to delete the spaces introduced into the addresses because of posting it on btctalk. It copies no problem from a txt file to your GUI, but copying and pasting from btctalk I had to delete the space. Is there any way to get around this?

Everything seems to be working great and displaying well on the functionality end, but is there any way to break up the "unconfirmed" and the actual amount, so that they can all be about the same font size?

- I will add a cleanup function which will strip all whitespaces from the address when pasted in to the send address field.
- I made the 'unconfirmed' text small on purpose. I did it to make clear the balance is what you can actually spend. Unconfirmed is what will be spendable in the near future. If more people find this illogical I can change it.

I don't use Windows either, but from your screen shots and write up I am impressed with your work. I am definitely looking forward to hearing feedback from eh Windows users.

will test it in a few hours!

edit: downloaded it, every time i have this bug:

Probleemhandtekening:
  Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem:   CLR20r3
  Probleemhandtekening 01:   cryptonotewallet.exe
  Probleemhandtekening 02:   0.1.0.0
  Probleemhandtekening 03:   536e3f07
  Probleemhandtekening 04:   System
  Probleemhandtekening 05:   4.0.30319.18034
  Probleemhandtekening 06:   50b5ad7f
  Probleemhandtekening 07:   3fe4
  Probleemhandtekening 08:   3b8
  Probleemhandtekening 09:   System.ComponentModel.Win32
  Versie van besturingssysteem:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Landinstelling-id:   2067
  Aanvullende informatie 1:   0a9e
  Aanvullende informatie 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Aanvullende informatie 3:   0a9e
  Aanvullende informatie 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

What .NET version have you installed? The application needs 4.5. What windows version are you running? Can you check if you right click one of the files (executables and *.dlls) and click 'properties' if the dialog that appears says anything about blocked files?

I tested it. It seems to be working. It needs bitmonerod.exe and simplewallet.exe at the same folder as the GUI wallet or it crashes. If clause should be added to check if the executables are there and inform the user instead of crashing. I think an "Advanced" tab should be added where you can send your own commands to the wallet and the daemon, because in the current version you can't tell the daemon to start mining. There could be a checkbox in the "wallet log" and "miner log" to make the wallet and bitmonerod windows visible instead of adding "advanced" tab or if advanced tab is added those options should be there also (message in red for the user not to close them if they are visible).

Nice! I'll crosspost the feedback in the GUI thread. I agree that it would be nice to have a check that all the executables are present instead of crashing, as I ran into the same issue when I left the config file out (to which I would suggest creating a standard config file in the same directory if it's not present).

I wanted to try it on a different version of windows. I don't have 8, but do have vista. Also, would this work with 32 bit? I can try it on that as well. I'm about done doing what I can think of as far as usage goes, so I'll be moving onto the 3 other installs (if possible) then.

The check for the executables has been added (see below). I also plan on adding mining support soon.  It shouldn't be to hard. Advanced commands are a good idea, but lets focus on the general commands first Wink. I think 32 bit should also work, but I don't have a 32 bit windows here to test it.

The software looks extremely nice, however to give full bounty I would really appreciate it being able to be built on fully open source platforms. Could you try to provide compilation instructions for Linux with mono.NET?

I agree the full bounty needs cross-patform support, that's why I included 'part of' Wink. I can try, but I have 0 experience with developing for mono.NET. I suspect I might have used some parts of the .NET framework which are not available in mono (starting a commandline process will probably not work in the same way for example).

I have managed to sync the entire blockchain from scratch, but my daemon log has stopped showing updates. Last height it reported was 25836, but my wallet reports the correct height at this time. Closing the wallet and re-opening it causes the log to display again.
GUI to GUI transfer works.

I have also noticed the daemon log stops updating sometimes (although it keeps function fine in the background). I hope I can find the source of this problem.

what gui works for windows 32bit ?

This one should work on 32bit as well. Can you test this?

New version
Source has been updated on GitHub
Binaries: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6522303/CryptoNoteWallet_latest.zip

The following changes have been made:
- The application no longer crashes when the executables of the wallet and/or daemon are not found (it displays a helpful message).
- Text in the log windows is now selectable and can be copied (using ctrl+c).
archit

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 08:08:49 AM

I have some experience with Mono, maybe I can help you
BitKoot

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 08:18:50 PM

That would be great. We first need to find out if the .NET features I used are even available in Mono (I'm most worried about WPF, Processes and async/await).

Another minor update: I think I managed to fix the problem where the daemon log window would sometimes stop updating. The wallet now 'pings' the daemon every second by sending an enter. This forces an update of the output from the daemon and will thereby update the log window.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6522303/CryptoNoteWallet_latest.zip
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 09:25:53 PM

That would be great. We first need to find out if the .NET features I used are even available in Mono (I'm most worried about WPF, Processes and async/await).

Another minor update: I think I managed to fix the problem where the daemon log window would sometimes stop updating. The wallet now 'pings' the daemon every second by sending an enter. This forces an update of the output from the daemon and will thereby update the log window.

Update:
There are multiple reports of the daemon logging halting without your GUI. Most likely not a GUI issue, but you'd be a better judge of that than me.

I will be re-dling your updated version today, and will try to get it on a 32 bit machine.
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 11:39:57 PM

Update:
There are multiple reports of the daemon logging halting without your GUI. Most likely not a GUI issue, but you'd be a better judge of that than me.

I will be re-dling your updated version today, and will try to get it on a 32 bit machine.

debug pls

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
rfcdejong

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 08:44:38 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2014, 08:57:09 PM by rfcdejong

Mono doesn't port WPF to other platforms.
http://www.mono-project.com/WPF

At this point, no group in the Mono project has plans to implement Windows Presentation Foundation APIs as part of the project.

The only real solution would be to either use one of the two largest platform independent GUI frameworks -> Qt or GTK+
Else you will need to write a wallet for Mac in Cocoa and then still Qt for linux or so lol

I know this because i was looking into writing a GUI as well, started with porting the c++/clr to be called from managed code, also fun.
But it needs to be platform independent, there is a reason all those other wallets are build on Qt Smiley

Or use mono and GTK#, a variant of GTK+ http://www.mono-project.com/GtkSharp

... and silverlight is kinda death, as you know ... else moonlight would be nice Wink
BitKoot

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:21:10 PM

The only real solution would be to either use one of the two largest platform independent GUI frameworks -> Qt or GTK+

Hmm, was afraid so. Will have to look into other UI's. As far as I can tell other parts of the .NET framework I used are all available in mono. Maybe I'll make an alternate UI which is compatible with mono (WinForms is supported, could be an option).

Meanwhile I did another update (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6522303/CryptoNoteWallet_latest.zip):
- Transactions tab implemented.
- Statusbar shows number of connected peers.
- Status bar show progress (text) while downloading blockchain.
- Log windows properly scroll to bottom on new text.

The transaction tab is very rudimentary at the moment. I plan on grouping transaction by transaction id, and offering the ability to expand them to see the individual coins send.

Next stop: mining.
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:23:11 AM

Hmm, was afraid so. Will have to look into other UI's. As far as I can tell other parts of the .NET framework I used are all available in mono. Maybe I'll make an alternate UI which is compatible with mono (WinForms is supported, could be an option).

Meanwhile I did another update (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6522303/CryptoNoteWallet_latest.zip):
- Transactions tab implemented.
- Statusbar shows number of connected peers.
- Status bar show progress (text) while downloading blockchain.
- Log windows properly scroll to bottom on new text.

The transaction tab is very rudimentary at the moment. I plan on grouping transaction by transaction id, and offering the ability to expand them to see the individual coins send.

Next stop: mining.

Great work. The solo mining phase is about to come to an end because the two pool implementations are almost done.  So you will want to be able to command simpleminer, not just the daemon.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:41:39 AM

Great work. The solo mining phase is about to come to an end because the two pool implementations are almost done.  So you will want to be able to command simpleminer, not just the daemon.

I disagree (maybe -- you might be suggesting to add simpleminer, and I agree with that). Solo mining is fun (think lottery) and helps the network (a lot -- pools are quite risky). Historically the main reason solo mining was removed from the bitcoin GUI was not that solo mining was hard, it was that CPU mining wasn't competitive with GPU mining. As long as CPU mining is competitive there should be still be an option in the GUI, although I'd include a pool mining option as well.

A nice feature of both would be the ability to choose threads (with detection of maximum number). A small number of threads is good for background mining while you are otherwise using the computer, or reducing heat.

blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Who cares?

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 05:02:55 AM

although I'd include a pool mining option as well.

So much this.  I don't know if anyone else ever implemented this in any of the thousand btc clone wallet qt's but I've always wondered why I would never see it.  I can't imagine it would be very difficult.
rfcdejong

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:19:41 PM

You did beat me into it, but then again you are simply capturing the deamon command window output.

I was diving into making a native wallet while chatting with othe all along. I had to find out the hard way that several parts of the cryptonote code that are included aren't usable in c++/clr wrapping. I managed to build it and use a simple c++ gui and call the deamon functions directly. To get this far i did spend 15 hours of researching, learning, error solving, etc...

Next i was learning Qt and managed to build some coin wallets for linux, windows and mac. I was trying to use an existing coin frontend and rewrite the middle code.

Now i feel sad about continueing, i don't want it to be a race.

Still you'r solution does not has my recommendations, thru i even considered it to do it that way. Then i would had had a wallet past week Wink
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:24:56 PM

You did beat me into it, but then again you are simply capturing the deamon command window output.

I was diving into making a native wallet while chatting with othe all along. I had to find out the hard way that several parts of the cryptonote code that are included aren't usable in c++/clr wrapping. I managed to build it and use a simple c++ gui and call the deamon functions directly. To get this far i did spend 15 hours of researching, learning, error solving, etc...

Next i was learning Qt and managed to build some coin wallets for linux, windows and mac. I was trying to use an existing coin frontend and rewrite the middle code.

Still you'r solution does not has my recommendations, thru i even considered it to do it that way. Then i would had had a wallet past week Wink

Don't be sad! See if you can share code and split the bounty. Smiley

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 07:25:53 PM

Don't be sad! See if you can share code and split the bounty. Smiley

This!
rfcdejong

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:33:37 PM

Most of the work was researching, learning, planning, thinking... and ofcourse setting up some environments, it isn't wasted time Smiley

I liked compiling several Qt wallets and i had some nice chatting with other developers, one of them was rat4 of blackcoin who surprised me helping me with cygwin. Even compiling the blackcoin windows wallet in linux with the mxe and gcc stuff.

The next step would had been to learn more about Qt, the GUI aspect of the wallet, the real work! Wink

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 09:34:28 PM

There is no race. We've already said that multiple solutions if they are useful, available within a reasonable amount of time, and meet the requirements will get a share of the bounty.
fiatpete

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:19:20 PM

although I'd include a pool mining option as well.

So much this.  I don't know if anyone else ever implemented this in any of the thousand btc clone wallet qt's but I've always wondered why I would never see it.  I can't imagine it would be very difficult.

The quarkcoin wallet has solo mining and there were plans to add pool mining but I'm not sure how far they got with that. If anyone knows Max the dev for Quark maybe he can share the progress they've made.
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:18:22 AM

I've just sent 12 MRO Smiley Hopefully we can have a nice GUI soon ! It's a real hassle to transfer money when you copy past an adress from bitcointalk into the window command !
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:22:21 AM

I've just sent 12 MRO Smiley Hopefully we can have a nice GUI soon ! It's a real hassle to transfer money when you copy past an adress from bitcointalk into the window command !

Received.

Total MRO now 1622
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: