Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:06:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sia - Siafund Redemption Deadline: June 1st, 2015  (Read 68704 times)
Lordoftherigs

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 01:28:54 PM

Now that the Sia network is up and running even though it's a closed beta you could narrow down some specs for future Sia mining rigs.
There should be a whole section about sia storage rigs.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 05:44:41 PM

Now that the Sia network is up and running even though it's a closed beta you could narrow down some specs for future Sia mining rigs.
There should be a whole section about sia storage rigs.

I think our POW algorithm is going to be blake2, but I wouldn't buy any asics/gpus yet. As for storage rigs, we should probably create a forum that we open alongside the open beta. I've seen on the storj irc that you can get large rigs for around $46/TB, but I think that those rigs are actually designed to be much higher tolerance than you need on Sia. You might be able to push the price closer to $35 or $40 per TB.
Lordoftherigs

View Profile
December 15, 2014, 03:59:44 PM

sia is now on coinmarketcap.com    Shocked Cheesy
Taek (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 03:56:28 PM

smaragda was asking about VPN hosting.

Right now, and for the near future, you're going to need port forwarding to be a host, and really you should have port forwarding if you're going to be a miner (otherwise you'll be mining at somewhere around a 20% reduced effectiveness).

But we've figured out a way to make port forwarding unneeded. It's a bit complicated and more than we can do for the immediate future - there are other things we want working first, but eventually we'll be able to have mining and hosting while behind VPNs. The cost to our current solution though is that it's easier for you to be censored (as a host, but not really as a miner. Worst case you'll reduce back to 20% reduced effectiveness).

Maybe as we keep thinking about it and reading about it we'll get better solutions. And again, the stuff we've got right now isn't going to be ready in the next few months, just wanted to let you know that there's at least 1 existing solution for people to host without using port forwarding.
Wesiematic

Activity: 437

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 12:59:38 PM

How is the testnet working, can you give us a little update of progress,
can we expect the start of open beta for the beginnning of the new year?

there is always a light at the end of the tunnel...
Taek (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 04:21:26 PM

The current target date for the open beta is Jan 16th. We've actually open sourced the new set of code already, you can see it on github.
Jookly
Legendary

Activity: 1131
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 05:04:41 PM

very interesting.  I will try to participate in your beta if I have an opportunity.
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 09:03:37 PM

Anywhere I can buy Sianotes OTC?

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
bubblymint38

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 03:38:37 PM

Anywhere I can buy Sianotes OTC?

Nxt AE
Wesiematic

Activity: 437

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 06:06:03 PM

The current target date for the open beta is Jan 16th. We've actually open sourced the new set of code already, you can see it on github.

Good news will try to participate in the open beta.

there is always a light at the end of the tunnel...
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2014, 12:37:55 AM

Anyone want to sell OTC?

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
gs02xzz

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:29:42 PM

It seems that there is a progress on quorum based crypto mechanism - https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/(ann)-jinn/msg147031/#msg147031

Maybe you guys are interested in it.
Lordoftherigs

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 08:39:23 AM

Any update on this ?
Taek (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 11:34:52 PM

Any update on this ?

Yes. Jan 17th

Tongue

In all seriousness we're pretty close to ready. We've got a nice interface this time too, thanks to our new intern Seve. We've committed to not sleeping until we're ready to go but midnight seems a bit optimistic.
PondSea
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:37:14 AM

Any update on this ?

Yes. Jan 17th

Tongue

In all seriousness we're pretty close to ready. We've got a nice interface this time too, thanks to our new intern Seve. We've committed to not sleeping until we're ready to go but midnight seems a bit optimistic.

Take your time Smiley

░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀█████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░▄███████▄░░░░████████
░░░░███████████░░░░██████
░░░▀███████████░░░░████░░
███▄░░░░░░░░░░▀████░░░███░░██
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████░░░██░░██
█████████████▄░░████░░░░░
░░█████████████░░█████
░░░░█████████▀░░░██████▌
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░▄████████▌
░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄███████
SuperNET.org
..BarterDEX..
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DECENTRALIZED CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
Developed to Unite Coin Communities | ✔ SECURE ✔ FREE ✔ VISIBILITY ✔ EASY INTEGRATION |

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taek (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:55:53 AM

Okay, it's done. And by that, I mean the codebase is at version 0.2.

But we're really exhausted. We'll put up the webpage tomorrow and pass out the url and get on IRC, etc.

Unfortunately, things still don't work very well. But I think this time around you get a better idea of what stuff is going to look like when we release. Things really only work well right now if you are actively mining, and stuff like uploading and downloading can be slow and not always work. Errors aren't always terribly useful, and we haven't tested it on Windows yet but it should work nonetheless.

One of the more exciting features is updates. Now we can push updates to the client and you'll get a notification on your screen asking you to upgrade to the latest version. That'll be pretty sweet.

Looking forward to making the announcement. And I'm thinking that 0.3 will be released on March 31st.
Taek (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 07:43:11 AM

http://www.siacoin.com/

Got a spiffy new website, got a fun interface, got screenshots. There's a public download link too.

Let me know what you guys think.
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 06:10:46 PM

http://www.siacoin.com/

Got a spiffy new website, got a fun interface, got screenshots. There's a public download link too.

Let me know what you guys think.

Great website, will try out beta.
DreamSpace

Activity: 556
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 03:39:49 PM

i tried it with Ubuntu and it looks very nice. What kind of mining process happens there or is it just simulated actually?
Uploading is not working for me, i can choose a file, but nothing happened and how can i theoretically download a file?
Taek (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:33:24 AM

i tried it with Ubuntu and it looks very nice. What kind of mining process happens there or is it just simulated actually?
Uploading is not working for me, i can choose a file, but nothing happened and how can i theoretically download a file?

Mining is real, right now it just uses your CPU, more threads means more mining (up to a point, if you've got more threads than cores it'll probably slow down). Faster CPU means more mining, etc.

For uploading, right now it only works sometimes. Mine like, 10 or so blocks and then try again, and you should have better results. It can take a few minutes nonetheless. Once you've uploaded a file you should see it in the list of files, and you'll be able to download it.

===

We hope that in the next two weeks or so there will be an update where the uploading and downloading always works, and sending transactions is instantaneous (well, you see 0-confirmed transactions within a few seconds instead of needing to wait for a block).
We've also got a handful of bugfixes that have been made. We'll have also added encryption.

Our next release will still not allow you to see files that other people have uploaded, but we're working on that too. (just seeing the files isn't useful when they're all encrypted - we'll need a way to upload files unencrypted and then announce to the world that the files are for everyone.)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: