Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:56:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Wallet: Let There Be Dark!  (Read 5363 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 11:12:21 PM

Thank you genjix, for explaining how it works. It does look to be promising and a good use of technology. It's refreshing to see something developed that shows some inspiration and isn't a scam. If it wasn't for all the raging-against-the-machine-rhetoric folks would take the practical aspects of this more seriously.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rarebitproject

Activity: 22
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 03:05:00 AM

Dark Wallet coinjoin goes through a server, but the server cannot see any details of your transaction nor can they steal your coins. All details are encrypted for the counterparty, and all signing happens in the client.

The only weakness here is that a server gets taken down stopping the service in which case you switch to another service. Even if the NSA controlled the server, they wouldn't be able to steal your coins or observe your transaction at all.

Lastly the server is sharing messages with other servers (we are improving this too), so it isn't really centralised. It is federated kind of like how different email providers inter-operate with each other. The decentralised aspect will only improve over time as we develop standards and deploy technology.

Are you guys running a server?

I'm not a laywer, but:

If that is the case, that server could be shut down and Mr. Wilson and cohorts arrested for "running a service" that "facilitates" or supports illegal activity.  Its clear that DarkWallet will be attractive to people who are doing things that are considered 'illegal'.

If I'm not mistaken, Liberty Reserve and eGold were shut down for the same reason.  Liberty Reserve's founder is apparently facing a long prison sentence (the charges against him include his boastings about the service's illegal utility).

The developers of Bitcoin, and BitTorrent for that matter, don't face legal liability because they just write the software.  They don't actually operate anything.

I like DarkWallet, but hopefully the 'decentralised aspect' will improve very soon.  The us is obviously going to do some very intensive traffic analysis on whatever server(s) you're operating.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 03:27:22 AM

Dark Wallet coinjoin goes through a server, but the server cannot see any details of your transaction nor can they steal your coins. All details are encrypted for the counterparty, and all signing happens in the client.

The only weakness here is that a server gets taken down stopping the service in which case you switch to another service. Even if the NSA controlled the server, they wouldn't be able to steal your coins or observe your transaction at all.

Lastly the server is sharing messages with other servers (we are improving this too), so it isn't really centralised. It is federated kind of like how different email providers inter-operate with each other. The decentralised aspect will only improve over time as we develop standards and deploy technology.

I'm not a laywer, but:

If that is the case, that server could be shut down and Mr. Wilson and cohorts arrested for "running a service" that "facilitates" or supports illegal activity.  Its clear that DarkWallet will be attractive to people who are doing things that are considered 'illegal'.

If I'm not mistaken, Liberty Reserve and eGold were shut down for the same reason.  Liberty Reserve's founder is apparently facing a long prison sentence (the charges against him include his boastings about the service's illegal utility).

The developers of Bitcoin, and BitTorrent for that matter, don't face legal liability because they just write the software.  They don't actually operate anything.

I like DarkWallet, but hopefully the 'decentralised aspect' will improve very soon.  The us is obviously going to do some very intensive traffic analysis on whatever server(s) you're operating.

It's all encrypted. Try proving anything.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rarebitproject

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 03:44:16 AM

I'm not a laywer, but:

They target the users machines with specially designed malware (assuming the server is as secure as believed).  Once they decide the server is facilitating illegal activity, they will move in.

Best to be paranoid.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 03:50:23 AM

I'm not a laywer, but:

They target the users machines with specially designed malware (assuming the server is as secure as believed).  Once they decide the server is facilitating illegal activity, they will move in.

Best to be paranoid.

If I understand how this works properly, the server only matches encrypted keys. It doesn't do anything outside the blockchain. So if the users were not using TOR, then they might be able to trace the IPs. I suspect that these servers will become virtual and anonymous eventually. I don't like it, but I am open-minded enough to want to see what happens with the experiment.

rarebitproject

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 04:18:36 AM

I'm not a laywer, but:

Best to be paranoid.

If I understand how this works properly, the server only matches encrypted keys. It doesn't do anything outside the blockchain. So if the users were not using TOR, then they might be able to trace the IPs. I suspect that these servers will become virtual and anonymous eventually. I don't like it, but I am open-minded enough to want to see what happens with the experiment.

I like the concept of DarkWallet, but it needs to use true P2P to negotiate the mixing.  I was just pointing out that by running a server, the developers may be exposing themselves to potential criminal liability.  If all they do is release software, they're safe (at least this seems to be the current understanding of the law).

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:25:21 AM

So does Dark Wallet dispose the need for other anonymous coins such as DarkCoin or ByteCoin?
RUEHL

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 04:33:28 AM

So does Dark Wallet dispose the need for other anonymous coins such as DarkCoin or ByteCoin?
Yes.

Donate BTC: 1FzpMgR34pJbEqtiMEujRiidoL7PgGPaUH
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:01:10 PM

Featuring an experimental identity system, and lots of improvements both on the frontend (browser plugin) and backend (gateway, obelisk and libbitcoin), we present Alpha 3:

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Alpha3 <-- Detailed release notes
https://github.com/darkwallet/darkwallet/releases/tag/0.3.0
https://github.com/darkwallet/darkwallet/archive/0.3.0.zip

This is a major milestone since we're introducing our new identity system where now you can keep long term contacts and find them later in the crypto goo that is the stratum for our conversations, subject to change but valid for our current goals. Also big improvements in parsing stealth since that's now going to a background thread, and the gateway got some bug fixed that was making things very slow  should now be snappy also using our block explorer will be a new experience Smiley.

Best Regards!!
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:08:06 PM

Featuring an experimental identity system, and lots of improvements both on the frontend (browser plugin) and backend (gateway, obelisk and libbitcoin), we present Alpha 3:

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Alpha3 <-- Detailed release notes
https://github.com/darkwallet/darkwallet/releases/tag/0.3.0
https://github.com/darkwallet/darkwallet/archive/0.3.0.zip

This is a major milestone since we're introducing our new identity system where now you can keep long term contacts and find them later in the crypto goo that is the stratum for our conversations, subject to change but valid for our current goals. Also big improvements in parsing stealth since that's now going to a background thread, and the gateway got some bug fixed that was making things very slow  should now be snappy also using our block explorer will be a new experience Smiley.

Best Regards!!

I noticed in another thread that there was a newer version, so I will quote the post here:

https://github.com/darkwallet/darkwallet/releases/tag/0.3.1
https://github.com/darkwallet/darkwallet/archive/0.3.1.zip

Best Regards!!

Edit: Made a quick update release 3.1 fixing a small but annoying issue with identity pairing.

Edit 2: Still Alpha, don't trust with real bitcoins! You can try it on testnet.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:23:17 PM

I just couldnt trust this, As somebody else has already said. Its another 3rd party site.
And people inevitably make mistakes, Not me though of course  Roll Eyes
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 04:35:15 PM

As somebody else has already said. Its another 3rd party site.

Where are people getting this misinfo?

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/FAQ
Ibistru

Activity: 129

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:06:17 PM

I just couldnt trust this, As somebody else has already said. Its another 3rd party site.
And people inevitably make mistakes, Not me though of course  Roll Eyes

Dark Wallet is NOT a 3rd party site, it is a wallet that you install on your computer.
Davis14

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 11:52:06 PM

Anonymous bitcoin wallets are 99.99% scams the only for sure safe wallet is blockchain.

*Link Removed*  [url=h
caedes

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 04:44:31 AM

Anonymous bitcoin wallets are 99.99% scams the only for sure safe wallet is blockchain.

You do well to be careful but DarkWallet's model is more secure than blockchain.info (nothing bad to say about them).

1. DarkWallet is a browser plugin that updates respecting whatever policy you want on your comp, blockchain.info is a webpage that serves you scripts
2. With darkwallet you hold the keys in a way that you can use the wallet in offline mode, or not hold keys using multisig or in the future readonly.

Again, don't want to compare with blockchain.info, they do a great service and we're still alpha, but please open your mind and read the docs we paste there is a lot of information:

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Alpha
https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Alpha2
https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Alpha3

The first one is a general detailed description of initial alpha status, the other 2 documents provide very rich details about what we have been working on for the last 2 weeks.

So, our model is, it's not like we won't run with your coins, it's like we can't run with your coins since we don't hold *any* user data, keys or nothing at all. Also we can't just make a phantom update like say other webwallets could do and then deny it, all our changes are very publicly documented in git (https://github.com/darkwallet/darkwallet) and our release procedure is strict where we sign our code releases (I do myself).

cheers!
Ibistru

Activity: 129

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:32:17 AM

Dark Wallet is not a web wallet, it is a wallet that you hold on your pc (like Electrum), so I can't see how it can be less safe than blockchain.

BTW I hope the stable release comes soon! Smiley
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 09:16:52 AM

Keep up the great work devs!

Right now I would put highest priority on getting Obelisk servers out there.  All traffic currently going through wss://gateway.unsystem.net  <---   (glad I'm not the one running this box) 
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 11:26:11 AM

I'd like to know more about this, how does the anonymity, security, robustness of Dark wallet etc compare to these ?  Which method is best?
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 12:15:26 PM

Thanks for this useful and carefully considered piece of advice which is obviously based upon your in-depth knowledge and research of Dark Wallet and the people associated with the project.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2014, 01:12:36 PM

If it wasn't for all the raging-against-the-machine-rhetoric folks would take the practical aspects of this more seriously.
When we see the reality that the machine is a dystopia, as tragic as any work of fiction, why should we not rage against it?

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: