Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:11:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 100 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GOP - Rand Paul's Presidential Highlight Reel w/ his Libertarian Twist  (Read 205770 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 01:35:19 AM

As Bush and Romney Battle, Can Rand Paul Sneak Through In New Hampshire?

CONCORD, N.H. – Rand Paul was winding down his day, talking to his fourth overflow crowd in eight hours. He’d started with state legislators who (mostly) had supported his father’s second presidential bid, in 2012. After a chat with the mayor of Manchester, he was off to talk with gun owners. He spun right around to talk to teachers about the threat of Common Core, and then he went up the highway to The Draft, a sports bar owned by the friendly State Senator Andy Sanborn, to address an assemblage of small businessmen.

At the bar, for the third time that day—totally unbidden—a potential voter asked him about militarization.

“I wanted to know if you thought the corporations that are selling weapons to the government are part of the problem,” asked Arnie Alpert, a Quaker activist wearing an NAACP badge on his tweed lapel.

The schism between Jeb and Mitt created an opening—and no one is in a better position to benefit than Paul, who says he’ll decide on a bid by March or April. New Hampshire has always been a key state for a Paul campaign. For most of the past decade, the state has attracted new libertarian-minded immigrants from other states, and elected new libertarian-minded legislators. They’re often the same people. The Free State Project, an effort to attract a critical mass of libertarians to one state and steer its life and politics, was organizing in New Hampshire long before Ron Paul ran for president. When Paul ran in 2008 and 2012, he grew a passionate base of volunteers.

“They were pretty symbiotic,” says Jason Sorens, the young Yale academic (now a professor at Dartmouth, fittingly) who dreamed up the Free State concept in 2001. “The Free Staters went from 500 to 1200 in the space of a couple of years, and there was a big boost to us from the Ron Paul movement.”

How big a boost? “I’ve tried to investigate this, actually,” says Sorens. “I looked at the correlation between Free Staters and the 2008 primary vote for Paul. For every one of them in a given town, there were two additional votes for him.”

More...http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/features/2015-01-16/as-bush-and-romney-battle-can-rand-paul-sneak-through-in-new-hampshire
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 03:55:10 AM

As Bush and Romney Battle, Can Rand Paul Sneak Through In New Hampshire?

CONCORD, N.H. – Rand Paul was winding down his day, talking to his fourth overflow crowd in eight hours. He’d started with state legislators who (mostly) had supported his father’s second presidential bid, in 2012. After a chat with the mayor of Manchester, he was off to talk with gun owners. He spun right around to talk to teachers about the threat of Common Core, and then he went up the highway to The Draft, a sports bar owned by the friendly State Senator Andy Sanborn, to address an assemblage of small businessmen.

At the bar, for the third time that day—totally unbidden—a potential voter asked him about militarization.

“I wanted to know if you thought the corporations that are selling weapons to the government are part of the problem,” asked Arnie Alpert, a Quaker activist wearing an NAACP badge on his tweed lapel.

The schism between Jeb and Mitt created an opening—and no one is in a better position to benefit than Paul, who says he’ll decide on a bid by March or April. New Hampshire has always been a key state for a Paul campaign. For most of the past decade, the state has attracted new libertarian-minded immigrants from other states, and elected new libertarian-minded legislators. They’re often the same people. The Free State Project, an effort to attract a critical mass of libertarians to one state and steer its life and politics, was organizing in New Hampshire long before Ron Paul ran for president. When Paul ran in 2008 and 2012, he grew a passionate base of volunteers.

“They were pretty symbiotic,” says Jason Sorens, the young Yale academic (now a professor at Dartmouth, fittingly) who dreamed up the Free State concept in 2001. “The Free Staters went from 500 to 1200 in the space of a couple of years, and there was a big boost to us from the Ron Paul movement.”

How big a boost? “I’ve tried to investigate this, actually,” says Sorens. “I looked at the correlation between Free Staters and the 2008 primary vote for Paul. For every one of them in a given town, there were two additional votes for him.”

More...http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/features/2015-01-16/as-bush-and-romney-battle-can-rand-paul-sneak-through-in-new-hampshire

Nice article.
I've heard New Hampshire is almost like two different states with the north being more freedom oriented. Too bad the upper part doesn't have a much bigger population.

grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 09:10:46 AM

Ah yes, the classic example of a choice between a douchebag and turd sandwich.  I'm not a huge republican fan these days but my favorite of those running is Rand Paul.  I'm interested to see what the dems do.  I don't think Hillary is a viable candidate.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:11:01 AM

That's a tough one... Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, no idea, no idea (overweight & drunk Oliver North?), Brit Hume???, Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry (those glasses...), Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney.

Or, Bridge Asshole, Dubya's brother, no idea, no idea, Fox anchor?, that guy who isn't white, I forget, Fox anchor, guy who ran in 2012 or 2008 (and isn't Dick DeVos who I frequently confuse him with). Based on my own familiarity with candidates, I'm going to guess Jeb Bush competes primarily with Mitt in 2016 and wins, with Rand coming in with a strong 2nd but rarely attacked by opponents.
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 08:13:48 PM

even though its unlikely I hope rand Paul can win.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:06:05 PM

That's a tough one... Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, no idea, no idea (overweight & drunk Oliver North?), Brit Hume???, Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry (those glasses...), Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney.

Or, Bridge Asshole, Dubya's brother, no idea, no idea, Fox anchor?, that guy who isn't white, I forget, Fox anchor, guy who ran in 2012 or 2008 (and isn't Dick DeVos who I frequently confuse him with). Based on my own familiarity with candidates, I'm going to guess Jeb Bush competes primarily with Mitt in 2016 and wins, with Rand coming in with a strong 2nd but rarely attacked by opponents.

That is one heck of a group:
How many of those guys would you trust to sell you a used car, let alone be POTUS?

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:41:25 PM

Fresh off from his trip to NH, Rand has flown down to Nevada and Arizona. Here are some pics from his physician round table in Scottsdale, AZ. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/sets/72157650309190001/ & here are some from the grassroots meeting in the same city https://www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/sets/72157650323057955/
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:49:42 PM

Here's the interview Rand did w/ Mark Levin last night. Levin is a radio host in the US and is on the evening time slot which is listened to by many millions of right wing leaning types. He's pretty entertaining but he was dead set against Ron when he rand the last two times, mainly because of this perceived isolationist foreign policy views. It really helps having these hosts neutral to bullish on you as they can drill the negativity about your candidacy in millions of peoples' minds that vote in your primary. This was one of Ron's big downfalls that he couldn't really control since he was dead set in his ways. This is how Levin wrapped it up as you'll see
He [Rand] is a sharp dude I'll tell you that. I'm serious about that. You don't have to agree with him on everything but he's willing to come on a program like this, pretty much any program, and engage. Where's Mittster?
And that's where you want to be in the minds of his listeners. Smiley

Anyways, hope you enjoy it: http://therightscoop.com/mark-levin-interviews-rand-paul/
Mark Levin interviewed Rand Paul on his show tonight and they talked about an array of issues, from Paul’s bill to defund the Palestinians to negotiating with Iran to Mitt and Jeb in 2016 to judicial restraint vs judicial activism.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 10:55:25 PM

Rand Paul Gets a Gift Not Made in America

Senator Rand Paul is now the proud owner of the ultimate smoking jacket: a custom-made, navy blue hemp blazer.

At a diner stop in Las Vegas on Friday, a fan of the senator’s surprised Mr. Paul with the blazer as a gift. It fit like a glove. And that was no coincidence.

The fan, Dannion Brinkley, said he had asked Mr. Paul’s staff for the right size, and they obliged. So when Mr. Paul, Republican of Kentucky, showed up to glad hand with voters, Mr. Brinkley was waiting.

Mr. Brinkley said in an interview that he had to get the jacket from Romania because it is illegal to trade in hemp in the United States. He told Mr. Paul that he wished the jacket had been made in America.

More...http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/01/16/?entry=8531&_r=0
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:52:46 AM

In Vegas, you can find about 40 pics from the meet and greet diner visit that Rand attended
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/sets/72157649921827470/

Here's about 30 pics from a NV GOP private reception
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/sets/72157649922595990/

Here's about 20 pics from a private dinner w/ supporters
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/sets/72157649934203628/

Here's about 40 pics from a large EB5 Investors Immigration Conference that featured Rand and Rep. Jared Polis as key note speakers
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/sets/72157650333139092/

Keep in mind Rep Polis is our bitcoin loving friend from Colorado and a democrat iirc.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:52:51 AM

US Rep. McHenry says NC voters should take a look at Rand Paul

North Carolina U.S. Rep. Patrick McHenry said he’d like his constituents to see potential new presidential candidates like Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky.

“From what I’ve heard other people, he brings in a different crowd, not just activists coming out, but new people, new faces come out,” McHenry told reporters during the House and Senate Republican retreat in Hershey, Pa., on Friday. McHenry represents the 10th District, from the Charlotte suburbs to Asheville.

McHenry made the same pitch for Paul in an interview with Luke Russert on MSNBC’s digital show, “The Briefing.” Russert said he imagined McHenry was would be an early supporter if former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush runs.

“I don’t know about that. I’m very open about that,” McHenry replied, “I actually want to see Rand Paul in, the reaction my constituents have to him.”

McHenry, who’s part of the Republican House leadership as a chief deputy whip, also told Russert he has changed since he went to Congress a decade ago: “I came in as a rabble-rouser. I’m much more an institutionalist now. Roll Eyes

http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/01/16/4481937_mchenry-nc-voters-should-take.html?rh=1

Even though the guy is not exactly a top shelf Congressman, it does help that he's a WHIP and the more 'officials' leading the people to Rand, the better.
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:04:14 PM

Rand Paul Gets a Gift Not Made in America

Senator Rand Paul is now the proud owner of the ultimate smoking jacket: a custom-made, navy blue hemp blazer.

At a diner stop in Las Vegas on Friday, a fan of the senator’s surprised Mr. Paul with the blazer as a gift. It fit like a glove. And that was no coincidence.

The fan, Dannion Brinkley, said he had asked Mr. Paul’s staff for the right size, and they obliged. So when Mr. Paul, Republican of Kentucky, showed up to glad hand with voters, Mr. Brinkley was waiting.

Mr. Brinkley said in an interview that he had to get the jacket from Romania because it is illegal to trade in hemp in the United States. He told Mr. Paul that he wished the jacket had been made in America.

More...http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/01/16/?entry=8531&_r=0

if he is wearing the jacket in the picture its really nice.

Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 11:45:03 PM

Rand Paul says he's made up with McCain over ISIS photo feud

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul says he has patched things up with U.S. Sen. John McCain, whom he angered last year by repeating a bogus Internet claim that the Arizona Republican had posed in a photo with Islamic State extremists in Syria in 2013.

"I think we've made up," Paul, R-Ky., told The Arizona Republic Thursday while in Scottsdale to meet with supporters and raise money.

"When we talked, I said, 'You know, sometimes, I can get overboard, and, sometimes, both of us can get overboard.' And that's the best way to acknowledge a dispute. Disputes take two to fight, and for the most part, we have many, many things in common as Republicans. ... It was a mistake to make that too personal on my part."

Paul, a potential 2016 Republican presidential candidate, and McCain, the 2008 GOP nominee, have sparred on and off over foreign policy and other issues since the libertarian-leaning Paul joined the Senate in 2011. McCain, R-Ariz., famously had to apologize for referring to Paul as one of the Senate's conservative "wacko birds."

But tensions strained further after Paul ripped McCain in a September interview with The Daily Beast, an online news website. Paul said McCain had met with Islamic State fighters "and had his picture taken, and didn't know it was happening at the time."

More...http://www.azcentral.com/story/azdc/2015/01/17/rand-paul-john-mccain-posed-with-isis-photo-syria/21890839/

Personally, I think Rand bitched out on this one but considering he's tying up loose ends before inevitably announcing his Prez run coming up here in the spring, I can see why he'd let this one go and even concede territory that he surely wasn't wrong about. This all came during his visit to AZ over the last few days but McCain is one of the most hated Senators esp in his own state where different county republican parties have censored him. Guess I just find this annoying but that's why I couldn't be anything more than just a state party delegate where I'm at. The bottom line is that all these so-called rebels were funded and trained by the US and perhaps the Saudis and then sent on their legion of doom missions which has created the instability once again and consequently allowed the media to showcase it all and allow the neocons to trend again and freak out the american people.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 12:30:51 AM

Rand Paul Makes Headway in Longshot Bid To Win Jewish Support
Can GOP Presidential Wannabe Get Kosher Stamp of Approval?

Senator Rand Paul’s still unofficial presidential campaign reached a small but significant milestone in early January: The executive director of the Orthodox Union’s advocacy center, Nathan Diament, publicly praised him in an official press release.

For many candidates, that might not mean much. But for Paul, the O.U.’s January 6 statement, lauding his sponsorship of a bill to defund the Palestinian Authority, marked something new. Long shunned by the organized Jewish community as hostile to Israel, Paul is attaining a degree of acceptability, if not yet embrace, in at least some quarters of American Jewry.

It has been a steep learning curve for the up-and-coming libertarian. On top of his own longtime views against foreign aid to any country, the Kentucky Republican labors, justly or not, under an additional burden in the eyes of some Jews as the son of a former congressman who has been associated with anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. Yet within less than two years, the Kentucky senator has gone from pariah to pareve in the eyes of many Jewish GOP supporters. And the O.U.’s statement meant something more: a first-time nod from an avowedly nonpartisan national Jewish group. The group stressed, however, that its statement was limited only to Paul’s legislative initiative and should not be viewed as an endorsement.

More...http://forward.com/articles/212772/rand-paul-makes-headway-in-longshot-bid-to-win-jew?p=all#ixzz3PDeLzZHh
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 04:02:08 AM

GOP presidential hopeful Paul finds support in Reno

Republican presidential hopeful Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., made his first campaign visit to Reno Saturday only to find out that his father has already done a lot of groundwork to boost his popularity.

Former Texas U.S. Rep. Ron Paul captured 22 of Nevada's 25 delegates to the National Republican Convention in 2012 -- even though Mitt Romney easily won that year's Nevada GOP presidential caucus. And Ron Paul's good name now gives his son a ready-made set of supporters in Reno.

A meeting at the Atlantis with local GOP activists and some elected officials was standing-room-only, thanks to his father.

"I support Rand because of his father, Ron, who was the most honest person in government," said Jim Uprichard, who attended the meeting. "I feel that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. So Rand has to be following in his father's footsteps."

Rand Paul, in a private interview, acknowledged that his father has laid groundwork for him in Nevada. However, Rand Paul said he must be his own man if he expects to win the Nevada GOP caucus or the GOP presidential nomination in 2016.

"If I end up doing this (running for president), I really have to be my own person and present my ideas and issues," Rand Paul said. "That doesn't mean my father and I are not from the same tradition in the sense that we believe in limited government that is strictly bound by the Constitution, a belief in a reasonable and rational foreign policy that sees some of the unintended consequences of some of the entanglements overseas. I believe, like dad, about the all-consuming problem about (the federal government) spending money we don't have."

More and check out what the Democratic spokesperson has to say about him...http://www.rgj.com/story/news/politics/2015/01/18/gop-presidential-hopeful-paul-finds-support-reno/21941993/
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 04:07:57 AM

Rand Paul on MTV for MLK day
MTV to Air in Black and White for the First Time in Network History, Share Artist, Politician and Audience Perspectives on Race on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Through New Initiative #TheTalk, MTV to Engage its Audiences in a “Color Brave” Conversation Led by Cultural Figures Including Kendrick Lamar, Common, Big Sean, Ava DuVernay, David Oyelowo, Penn Badgley, Jordin Sparks, Pete Wentz, Sen. Rand Paul, Rep. John Lewis, Sen. Cory Booker and more

NEW YORK, Jan 18, 2015 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- today announced an expansion of its Look Different anti-bias campaign called #TheTalk, a multiscreen effort to encourage its audience to have candid, confident and “color brave” conversations on race with family and friends. According to a 2014 MTV study*, 73% of Millennials believe having more open constructive conversations about bias would help people become less prejudiced.

“Millennials believe strongly in fairness, but they can also find it difficult to talk openly about race – to be not simply ‘color blind’ but ‘color brave,’” said Stephen Friedman, President of MTV. “Our audience is looking for a way to bring the national conversation on race into their homes and this campaign will give them a forum to express true color bravery.”

#TheTalk will begin at 9:00 a.m. ET/PT on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day when MTV will kick off a 12-hour period in which all programming will air in black and white for the first time in the network’s history. Every commercial block will begin with personal reflections on race from luminaries including Kendrick Lamar, Common, Big Sean, Ava DuVernay, David Oyelowo, Penn Badgley, Jordin Sparks, Pete Wentz, Sen. Rand Paul, Rep. John Lewis, Sen. Cory Booker and more.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mtv-to-air-in-black-and-white-for-the-first-time-in-network-history-share-artist-politician-and-audience-perspectives-on-race-on-martin-luther-king-jr-day-2015-01-18

Tomorrow is Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the USA and I'm sure most people have an idea about the roots of this holiday. Clearly, Rand is like the only republican that has shown any intentions of helping out the black community and this is what he's been trying to showcase giving him a leg up in the upcoming GOP primary as only he can add more black and minority voters to the GOP in the future and specifically in the General Election. I'm sure there'll be footage at some point. This isn't some channel that I'd normally watch but it trends in certain age groups and demographics.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 04:12:53 AM

Here's Rand featured on the local NBC Phoenix news affiliate today for the 12 o'clock news at noon.
9 min clip which is a sizable segment for the local news.
http://www.azcentral.com/media/cinematic/video/21953155/paul-backs-spiking-obama-immigration-actions/
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 05:43:42 AM

Rand Interviewed on WMUR - Manchester, the Major News Station in New Hampshire
NH is the 1st in the nation primary hence the relative importance plus I lived in Manchester at once.
Peep the 13 min segment on the keynote station in NH during his visit earlier last week - http://www.wmur.com/politics/closeup/closeup-rand-paul-confused-by-romney-2016-speculation/30699386

This is a major interview that most of NH's news viewers saw like and NBC/ABC in other states. The contents are foreign policy, Rand's potential Prez run, Surveillance of Americans, the NYC policing situation, etc. I surely hope that bitcoinland is seeing who is the best person to affect humanity no matter your position on the libertarian to socialist spectrum. Any rightward leaning person should see that a libertarian is the best solution for responsible economics and all you lefties should realize that the phony left that will coronate Hillary as your person should realize that you have plenty of crucial commonalities w/ the anti-establishment right aka Rand Paul and his libertarian social issues so that we can rally against the establishment co-op of both parties that are pro-military industrial complex, corporate media, govt surveillance, bankster mafia that is kicking you in the balls over debt and currency and what the fuck ever else. See the light and grow a pair and do what's right! If you're for the common man and decency, stop being a tool via the media complex and check out the libertarian alternative in the GOP, it's fucking Rand Paul yo. You can't be sympathetic to Occupy anywhere and think that Hillary is anything less than a Dick Cheney-John McCain radical war mongerer. If you do, then you will have to stare yourself in the mirror and surrender whatever principles you claim to hold. It's the libertarian right and the true progressives that are bulls on parade here.  Cool Unite or let the Bush-Clinton crime syndicate run your life. That's right I said it!
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 07:50:07 PM

4 GOP Hopefuls expected to Attend Koch Event (Rand Paul)

Four leading Republican presidential prospects are expected to appear this weekend
in the California desert before an exclusive gathering of rich conservatives convened
by the Koch brothers’ political operation, several sources tell POLITICO.

Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas, Rand Paul ofKentucky and Marco Rubio of Florida, and Gov.
Scott Walker ofWisconsin, received coveted invitations to speak to the vaunted
network assembled by the billionaire industrialist mega-donors Charles and David
Koch, the sources said.

The meeting, set to be held at a Palm Springs hotel, is the annual winter gathering of
Freedom Partners Chamber of Commerce, the nonprofit group that oversees the
network offiscally conservative groups formed with help from the Kochs and their
operatives.

None ofthe White House prospects invited to the meeting this weekend responded
to questions about whether they planned to attend and, if so, what they planned to
discuss. A spokesman for Freedom Partners declined to comment on the function,
which is closed to the press.

It comes at a pivotal time for both the Koch network, which has become increasingly
involved in partisan politics, and for the sprawling Republican presidential
field, which some party insiders fear could be headed for a chaotic and costly
primary.

Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney, both of whom are eyeing runs oftheir own, are
considered the favorites of rich Republican donors from the party’s
establishment wing, who traditionally have exerted great sway over presidential
nominating fights.

But neither is necessarily a perfect fit for the donors and operatives in the Kochs’
expanding donor network, where small government, free market policies tend to be
valued over aggressive stances on military intervention or social issues. That
could present an opening for prospective presidential hopefuls who have emphasized
fiscal issues more than foreign policy, like Paul, Walker and Indiana Gov. Mike
Pence. Pence is not expected in Palm Springs this weekend. But he has spoken at past
gatherings and is considered a favorite of the Kochs’ allies, as is Walker, whose
fight against his state’s public employee unions over collective bargaining
rights made him something of a test case for the expansion ofthe Koch network and
its most robust political arm, Americans for Prosperity.

Stan Hubbard, a billionaire Minnesota media mogul and mega-donor who has
attended Koch donor gatherings, but is not headed to Palm Springs, called Walker “a
hell of a good man.” Yet, Hubbard also had positive things to say about Bush, a
former Florida governor (“a really nice guy”) and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (“a
good communicator”), while dismissing Romney, a former Massachusetts governor,
as “a terrible candidate,” and questioning whether Cruz or Paul could win a general
election.

“What scares me is the ultra-right-wing people – which I would be, but you can’t get
elected being ultra-right-wing – so what scares me is them screwing it up by
supporting someone like the senator from Texas,” said Hubbard of Cruz. “I mean,
forget it.”

Cruz and Rubio have staked out aggressive foreign policy stances that in some ways
seem out of step with the more non-interventionist ofthe Koch network’s donors.
But they’re also seen as unlikely to be able to keep up with Bush or Romney when it
comes to corralling support from more hawkish mega-donors in the GOP’s Wall
Street or country club wings.

Major donors are expected to play an outsized role in the 2016 presidential election,
especially in the primaries, thanks partly to a pair of 2010 federal court rulings that
paved the way for super PACs that can accept unlimited checks to support
candidates.

While the Kochs’ operation has stayed out of GOP primaries, the possibility ofits
donors or groups backing a candidate in the 2016 GOP presidential primary has
tantalized the political class.

The 2012 general election marked the first time that AFP aired ads expressly
opposing a candidate — President Barack Obama. AFP went on to spend heavily on
ads attacking Democratic Senate candidates in the run-up to the 2014 midterms, and
was credited with helping Republicans capture the Senate. All told, the groups in
the Koch network combined to spend about $290 million ahead ofthe midterms.
The Freedom Partners donor meetings – which started in 2003 and are now held
twice a year – are central to the expansion ofthe Koch network. Dubbed “seminars”
within Koch circles, they bring together dozens of conservative business leaders from
across the country – including a healthy contingent ofheartland industrialists like
the Kochs – for three days of presentations from top conservative politicians,
operatives and thought leaders, including American Enterprise Institute President
Arthur Brooks, pundit Erick Erickson and pollster Frank Luntz.

The seminars typically conclude with a fundraising session of sorts where donors
pledge donations that can reach into the seven figures to support policy and political
efforts discussed during the seminars. Freedom Partners, which was formed in late
2011, disseminates the cash among a host of groups in the network.
There’s a lot of discussion among donors and strategists within the Koch operation
about whether to wade into the Republican presidential primary, according to an
operative familiar with the operation.

“These funders just had a very successful cycle and I imagine some of the folks want
to go for the big enchilada,” said the operative, asserting the Koch network could
have a major impact on the presidential race ifit decided to engage heavily. “They are
the most sophisticated operation, which would be a huge asset” for Republicans.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/koch-brothers-ted-cruz-rand-paul-marco-rubio-scott-walker-2016-elections-114386.html?ml=po

Keep your eyes on how this unfolds, these are the guys behind the Cato Institute and Americans For Prosperity and have access to untold sums of money. Rand or Walker would be the two most likely guys that they'd get behind. Personally, I think an eventual Paul/Walker ticket would be the way to go as Rand would keep the libertarians from voting LP and Walker would bolster Rand as an executive figure and someone that could help retain a typically blue state (WI) and keeping it red like it currently is.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:21:13 AM

Rand Paul to open political office in Austin

Sen. Rand Paul is planning to open a political office in Austin, tapping into Texas technology talent ahead of a likely presidential bid.

The space is slated to open in spring or early summer, said Doug Stafford, Paul’s chief political adviser. The Kentucky Republican is also opening a Silicon Valley office in the coming months.

ustin is a rare haven for liberals in deep-red Texas, but it’s also a hot spot for start-ups and technology companies. The libertarian-leaning Paul has made overtures to the technology community — even in California’s progressive Bay Area — as he prepares for a 2016 campaign.

“Our intention is to crowd source many things — innovations, applications, volunteer efforts on the digital and political side,” Stafford said in an email. “Austin has a lot of supporters and a lot of talent, and we plan to take advantage of both and have a Team Rand hub there.”

Vincent Harris, the digital strategist for Paul’s political arm, RANDPAC, is based in Austin, which he referred to as “Silicon Hills.”

The city “has energetic, supportive, creative talent,” Harris said. “There’s a large, active, liberty crowd. Since coming on board, we’ve had smart people literally just show up at my company’s office wanting to get involved, it will be a place to channel them.”

The Lone Star State will loom large in the 2016 GOP primary. Paul and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush grew up in Texas. They, along with former Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, all are expected to run for the White House.

“We want to attract the best talent possible to help motivate the largest amount of people possible, and Austin’s market will allow the senator to do that,” Harris said.

More...http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/rand-paul-austin-texas-office-114452.html#ixzz3Pf1kgv5D
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 100 »
  Print  

Jump to: