Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:21:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Amazon for Bitcoin Payments  (Read 11863 times)
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:15:10 PM

Chicken and egg. Not enough customers for them to bother changing anything, not enough merchants for most non-bitcoiners to want the option.
They'll come on board once bitcoin is bigger. Better to focus on companies more interested in getting in early.

No one is going to to buy Bitcoins just to spend them on Amazon. Not a chicken and an egg problem, simply a sign of relatively low adoption.
They will use bitcoin to spend on amazon because it will reduce overall costs verses using a credit card

This spot for rent.
#yolo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:53:26 AM

I agree with this campaign and will at least keep getting BTC in their heads even if they don't add it right away. They are the ones loosing as well considering even big competitors like newegg are adding it (and even ebay are partially making positive moves unlike their usual behavior). and they are the ones left out of the flock.

EFFV

Activity: 278

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:23:27 PM

I just contacted Amazon, the conversation was decent he (sunil from amazon) replied this:

Yes, I will definitely take your suggestion as feedback and forward it to the concern team, so that we can improve this feature and get it available. Thank you for your feedback. Ill make sure your feedback is passed on to the management.

This was after going through a sales rep in chat.

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves."  -Lao Tzu
My Trust Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474589.new#new
Marbit

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:28:37 PM

I just contacted Amazon, the conversation was decent he (sunil from amazon) replied this:

Yes, I will definitely take your suggestion as feedback and forward it to the concern team, so that we can improve this feature and get it available. Thank you for your feedback. Ill make sure your feedback is passed on to the management.

Just a boilerplate response, IMO. Amazon is way to big to be accepting bitcoin at this point. Not until there is a more solid basis for them hold bitcoins (supply chain/overheads). Bitpay can't handle their volume....
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:24:38 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've been buying Amazon gift cards and other items at Amazon (tracfone and airtime, etc.) with bitcoin at a 15-25% discount (!) thanks to Purse.io - well, around 13-23% discount once I replenish my BTC with fiat, but it's still a great deal.

You can check out Purse at my referral link (https://purse.io/?_r=XClu2O) - I really do endorse it. What happens is you create a wishlist at Amazon and then post it on Purse, with the percentage discount (up to 33%) that you want (yeah, it's nuts, but it works). I've gotten 3 items now with a 25% discount, but 15% is more normal. You can ask for whatever you want up to 33% off though. My bids have been accepted within a day or two, up to a week worst case. Your funds go into an escrow account once a bidder purchases your order and has it shipped to you. Once it arrives you confirm delivery and the funds are released.

The Purse operators even paid me $1 (in BTC) once when a deal fell through (due to Amazon's anti-fraud detectors going off on the bidder for some reason) and I asked about it, simply as a goodwill gesture.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:32:00 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've been buying Amazon gift cards and other items at Amazon (tracfone and airtime, etc.) with bitcoin at a 15-25% discount (!) thanks to Purse.io - well, around 13-23% discount once I replenish my BTC with fiat, but it's still a great deal.

You can check out Purse at my referral link (https://purse.io/?_r=XClu2O) - I really do endorse it. What happens is you create a wishlist at Amazon and then post it on Purse, with the percentage discount (up to 33%) that you want (yeah, it's nuts, but it works). I've gotten 3 items now with a 25% discount, but 15% is more normal. You can ask for whatever you want up to 33% off though. My bids have been accepted within a day or two, up to a week worst case. Your funds go into an escrow account once a bidder purchases your order and has it shipped to you. Once it arrives you confirm delivery and the funds are released.

The Purse operators even paid me $1 (in BTC) once when a deal fell through (due to Amazon's anti-fraud detectors going off on the bidder for some reason) and I asked about it, simply as a goodwill gesture.

Sounds like a neat idea, but also one which could end up with you getting a heavy knock on the door, when the police trace laundered drug money to people buying you gifts on Amazon and come to ask you what you know about it!

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
cinder

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:47:51 PM

Sounds like a neat idea, but also one which could end up with you getting a heavy knock on the door, when the police trace laundered drug money to people buying you gifts on Amazon and come to ask you what you know about it!

About to post the same message.

MoneyPak and Amazon Gift card are heavily used to laundry money. People buying them regularly will eventually have their door knocked by authority.
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:52:30 PM

i spend quite a bit on amazon with bitcoins, so this interests me. but ive always bee skeptical of discount marketplaces like this. are there buyer protections for those selling bitcoin/buying amazon purchases?
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:25:08 PM

Just a boilerplate response, IMO. Amazon is way to big to be accepting bitcoin at this point. Not until there is a more solid basis for them hold bitcoins (supply chain/overheads). Bitpay can't handle their volume....

Absolutely, this is boilerplate, but the more people request it, the more seriously it has to be taken.  It's like writing a letter to your government representative in the USA.  Obviously your congressman won't read your letter.  But if 10K people write a letter with the same opinion, the congressman's staff is going to tell him this is a big deal.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:29:48 PM

Absolutely, this is boilerplate, but the more people request it, the more seriously it has to be taken.  It's like writing a letter to your government representative in the USA.  Obviously your congressman won't read your letter.  But if 10K people write a letter with the same opinion, the congressman's staff is going to tell him this is a big deal.

This is true to some extent. But the reality is that Amazon may be too high volume for Bitpay and the like to handle. I don't think Amazon will jump on for quite some time.
Bibop

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:31:00 PM

this might be the way to use our btc right now..
but its better to all of us to use btc directly and letting new people the opportunity to discover it!
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:35:26 PM

i spend quite a bit on amazon with bitcoins, so this interests me. but ive always bee skeptical of discount marketplaces like this. are there buyer protections for those selling bitcoin/buying amazon purchases?
I have the same concerns. I've been using Gyft for my Amazon purchases, but I may switch to something like this if it looks promising.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Argwai96
Legendary

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:35:52 PM

How reputable is purse.io? I love the looks of those discounts, but something tells me it might be too good to be true. I've been buying through Gyft at spot.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:24:50 PM

I have the same concerns. I've been using Gyft for my Amazon purchases, but I may switch to something like this if it looks promising.
Purse is similar to paypal in that it is p2p buying. You buy something via purse.io for bitcoin, the seller pays for the product in fiat and receives bitcoin.

This spot for rent.
Argwai96
Legendary

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:26:04 PM

Purse is similar to paypal in that it is p2p buying. You buy something via purse.io for bitcoin, the seller pays for the product in fiat and receives bitcoin.

Yes, but what are the buyer/seller protection policies? What if a gift card turns out to be fraudulently obtained? What happens then?
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:27:14 PM

I have been interested in this as well. I would like to see some feedback on both Gyft and Purse.io, if you guys have any.

Forever strong.
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:03:49 AM

About to post the same message.

MoneyPak and Amazon Gift card are heavily used to laundry money. People buying them regularly will eventually have their door knocked by authority.

I haven't had any problems of that sort, and could straightforwardly answer any questions that came up. Because basically there would be very little I could tell the authorities about the person who bought my BTC, and there would be nothing done wrong on my part.

ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:09:11 AM

Purse acts as an escrow in essence. If you are selling your BTC,  your BTC goes into escrow once a buyer accepts your bid and orders your wishlist. But it is not released to them until you click the Delivery Confirmation button. There is also a Dispute button for bringing up issues if something goes wrong, to bring Purse management in to a contested order. I've not used it yet (just normal contact channels).

ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:11:59 AM

How reputable is purse.io? I love the looks of those discounts, but something tells me it might be too good to be true. I've been buying through Gyft at spot.

That's kind of what I thought so I started small, and have been ramping up as things have gone well. I learned about Purse from an article on Coindesk, FWIW. The owners seem young but earnest; as I mentioned they gave me a token amount ($1) as a goodwill gesture when I asked about an order being accepted and then being canceled (by Amazon, no fault of Purse itself).

I don't know why people would pay 15-25% premiums for bitcoin, but I guess if they don't have bank accounts or other means to transfer fiat to BTC, this is an easy way for them to do it.

ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:14:52 AM

Yes, but what are the buyer/seller protection policies? What if a gift card turns out to be fraudulently obtained? What happens then?

Not sure what you mean by "fraudulently obtained." In my case I'm ordering Amazon gift cards via my wishlist; the bidder who accepts my bid pays for them by credit card, but the gift card is shipped direct from Amazon to my home address. So I'm getting my items direct from Amazon (or vendors under the Amazon umbrella in the case of my tracfone orders). The Purse FAQ covers what to do if items are damaged, etc. when received, as do Amazon's return policies (you can return items for Amazon gift cards, worst case, so that the payment is not refunded to the bidder on your order.)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: