Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:53:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 x 6970 in Windows...Help needed (.5 BTC bounty) [SOLVED]  (Read 7426 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 06:59:04 AM

If I could offer up 1 more small, but hopefully relevant piece of advise ? (no charge....unless you think it's worth something...lol)

Ditch GUIMiner and get on the CGMiner train.

I use it on all my Win7 x64 machines and it rocks. It has the ability to use a config file, but I still find it easier to launch it from a BAT file.

1- Create a new TXT file in Windows.

2- Paste in the following (change where needed)

start /affinity 1 cgminer -o http://YOURPOOL.COM:8332 -u YOURUSERNAME -p YOURPASSWORD -I 9 --gpu-engine XXX --gpu-memclock 300 --auto-fan --temp-target 69

3- Close TXT File, SAVE, RENAME the file something.BAT (have 'hide known file extensions' disabled, or it will remain a TXT file, regardless of extension)

4- Right-Click the BAT file, choose EDIT (opens in Notepad), Make the required changes, adding your POOL, USERNAME, PASSWORD, GPU Clock Speed (replace XXX). CLOSE/SAVE

5- DOWNLOAD the latest CGMiner (2.1.2) for Win32 (no x64 version, doesn't matter, runs fine). Unzip it anywhere you like.
Thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0  .........  Direct Download Link (From Developer) - http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/cgminer-2.1.2-win32.zip

6- CUT/PASTE the something.BAT file into your CGMiner directory and Double-Click it.....VOILA!

The above CMD is set to run MEM @ 300Mhz and your Target Temp with Auto Fan control at 69C, but these values can be changed also.
Regardless of whatever driver, the CMD is also set to run on a single CPU core, rather than 100%, or all 4 cores of your Quad Core, if that's what you have (affinity = quick fix for 100% CPU Bug).

This will automatically control all 3 of your cards and give you 2 mining threads per card (default setting). Once you get your 'feet wet' with it, you can explore more options.
What I provided above is a basic (pretty much what I use exactly) setup for most of my cards, including my quad 6950 Miners (using I=9 Intensity as above).

Give it a try....you WON'T be dissapointed.

CGMiner replaces Overclocking Software, Fan Control and Miner - ALL IN ONE Wink

would you mind repeating these Win 7 instructions for a solo miner?  thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 11:06:46 AM

would you mind repeating these Win 7 instructions for a solo miner?  thanks in advance.

The above will work with SOLO or POOL mining.

Do you already have your Bitcoin APP running in SERVER mode (Server=1) in the bitcoin.conf file ?

Before you do anything, make sure you have a proper bitcoin.conf file setup.

Are you planning to run 1 wallet/app for multiple machines to connect to on your private network ? (personal mini-pool type of setup, which is what I do) ?

I run 4 mining rigs pointed at a single wallet/app for SOLO mining.

Clarify a bit and I will help you get setup.

cuz0882

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 11:26:38 AM

I have 4 6970's, with guiminer I get 386 mhash. With cgminer I get 420-440 mhash. You definitely don't want the crossfire bridges connected.
And no dummy plugs are needed thats for linux. Are you sure the miner is not set to mine on one gpu, it can auto reset itself sometimes.
 I would start with removing the cards. Put one in run it, install another reboot and so on.
I would also uninstall catalyst. And just install the cc drives without the full catalyst. Make sure its version 1.11 or lower.
If you try cg miner, make sure to use this shortcut to run it, or all your cpu's will be maxed out. Put this phrase into the target of the shortcut C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c  start "cgminer.exe" /affinity 1 "C:\cgminer\cgminer.exe" (assuming cgminer is located in your c:  folder)

Its clearing a driver issue if you are indeed selecting the proper devices in guiminer. It is not a setting that can be changed. Also your power supply is going to be working overtime. I burned up a 1000 watt with 2x 5970's which draw about the same as your setup.

bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 11:28:37 AM

would you mind repeating these Win 7 instructions for a solo miner?  thanks in advance.

bitcoin.conf for Solo Mining. REPLACE BOLD with your own. Pay close attention to RED BOLD for further setup required.
This file needs to go on the Bitcoin(D) server/app location/machine that others will be pointing to.....

Win7 botcoin.conf default location = C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\

# server=1 tells Bitcoin(d) to accept JSON-RPC commands.
server=1

# Bitcoin or bitcoind server or App location set as localhost IP.
rpcconnect=127.0.0.1

# Listen for RPC connections on this TCP port
rpcport=8332

# Bitcoin Network Communication Port (connect to others in the network).
# FORWARD THROUGH FIREWALL TO BITCOIN(D) SERVER.
port=8333

# Maximum number of inbound+outbound connections.
maxconnections=125

# Your User + Pass for Solo Mining.
rpcuser=YourUsername
rpcpassword=YourPassword

# How many seconds bitcoin(d) waits for completed RPC HTTP request once connection made .
rpctimeout=30

# By default, only localhost RPC connectionsare allowed.
# use * as a wildcard for allowing an entire range.
rpcallowip=192.168.0.*

# Misc
keypool=100

Once this is in place, run your Bitcoin App on your Server and point all miners to it's internal IP address using the previous instructions above.

bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 11:30:15 AM

I have 4 6970's, with guiminer...............

Problem solved, bounty paid....you are late unfortunately.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 07:56:59 PM

I have 4 6970's, with guiminer I get 386 mhash. With cgminer I get 420-440 mhash. You definitely don't want the crossfire bridges connected.
And no dummy plugs are needed thats for linux. Are you sure the miner is not set to mine on one gpu, it can auto reset itself sometimes.
 I would start with removing the cards. Put one in run it, install another reboot and so on.
I would also uninstall catalyst. And just install the cc drives without the full catalyst. Make sure its version 1.11 or lower.
If you try cg miner, make sure to use this shortcut to run it, or all your cpu's will be maxed out. Put this phrase into the target of the shortcut C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c  start "cgminer.exe" /affinity 1 "C:\cgminer\cgminer.exe" (assuming cgminer is located in your c:  folder)

Its clearing a driver issue if you are indeed selecting the proper devices in guiminer. It is not a setting that can be changed. Also your power supply is going to be working overtime. I burned up a 1000 watt with 2x 5970's which draw about the same as your setup.

Thanks but problems already been solved.

PSU is doing just fine with 3 of them.  I underclock, not overclock.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:00:59 AM

Do you already have your Bitcoin APP running in SERVER mode (Server=1) in the bitcoin.conf file ?
first off, let me say that b/c i'm a non techie, i bought this 4 computer setup from a mining machine company that went out of business, so if you're wondering why i might be vague on the components/setup its b/c i didn't put it together.

with that said, i have 3 Win7 miners, 1 with 3 Sapphire 6970's, 1 with 3 Powercolor 6970's, 1 with 1 Sapphire and 1 Powercolor 6970.  all are generating in the low 300 Mh/s sometimes high 200 Mh/s with relatively high temps in the 80C's and high fan speeds.  the miners are controlled with AMD Vision Engine Control/Overdrive using GUIminer.  they all feed wirelessly to a Ubuntu server with the Bitcoin wallet which then connects out to my router and internet.

the AMD software's lowest memory clock setting allowed is 1370 Mhz.  i'm clocked at btwn 900-950 depending on the miner. fan speeds are 75-100%, with power control at 0.  temps are in the 80's.

Are you planning to run 1 wallet/app for multiple machines to connect to on your private network ? (personal mini-pool type of setup, which is what I do) ?

the system is up and running but with high temps, high fan speeds of 80-100%, and lowish Mh/s per card.  i'd like to get them optimized.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:20:03 AM

first off, let me say that b/c i'm a non techie, i bought this 4 computer setup from a mining machine company that went out of business, so if you're wondering why i might be vague on the components/setup its b/c i didn't put it together.

with that said, i have 3 Win7 miners, 1 with 3 Sapphire 6970's, 1 with 3 Powercolor 6970's, 1 with 1 Sapphire and 1 Powercolor 6970.  all are generating in the low 300 Mh/s sometimes high 200 Mh/s with relatively high temps in the 80C's and high fan speeds.  the miners are controlled with AMD Vision Engine Control/Overdrive using GUIminer.  they all feed wirelessly to a Ubuntu server with the Bitcoin wallet which then connects out to my router and internet.

the AMD software's lowest memory clock setting allowed is 1370 Mhz.  i'm clocked at btwn 900-950 depending on the miner. fan speeds are 75-100%, with power control at 0.  temps are in the 80's.

the system is up and running but with high temps, high fan speeds of 80-100%, and lowish Mh/s per card.  i'd like to get them optimized.

My 3 6970's are currently at about 360 m/hash at 888 core, 750 mem, 95% fan.  Temps are around 70C for the first two cards and 76C for the last card.  Currently using GUIminer and MSI Afterburner.
tinman951

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:24:20 AM

Why did you under-clock them? for electricity savings?

Free micro bitcoins: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1DFw1VncjVhqdg6GWoQ6Qtc5ncR5RHXxfP
Donate BTC: 18b94MMTWd7bWaUWcq7VHmizgswP2dK6fM
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 01:27:58 AM

Why did you under-clock them? for electricity savings?

Actually no, all utilities are paid as part of my rental agreement.  I'm doing it for card longevity and reduced heat (there's literally like no space between the cards).  Plus, I have a 4-year in-store warranty on all cards and I think overclocking can void warranties. 
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 09:04:21 AM

(there's literally like no space between the cards)
4 6970s side by side. You can have space between the cards:
http://ck.kolivas.org/pictures/Mining/IMG_1240.JPG

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
jake262144

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 12:22:29 PM

LOL, what a lovely ghetto solution you've found Conman  Grin

That's a Raven rv03, right?
In my rv02 I jury-rigged a 140mm exhaust fan at the connector side of the GPUs sucking the air from between them cards.
Great, moddable cases those Ravens. Goodness incarnated.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 12:53:15 AM

Heh yes it is. Great case for when it all must be in a case. The cards dropped a good 15 degrees or 25% fanspeed with those half-pegs.

-ck
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 09:59:16 PM

Heh yes it is. Great case for when it all must be in a case. The cards dropped a good 15 degrees or 25% fanspeed with those half-pegs.

so does that mean the cards are twisted somewhat?
jake262144

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 10:05:33 PM

That's the whole point of jamming the pegs between the cards.
Just be careful not to overload your definition of "somewhat"  Grin
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 10:44:18 PM

I believe the standard defines 1.5cm of movement or something like that. This is only .5cm yet makes a massive difference to temperatures.

-ck
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 01:55:11 AM

I believe the standard defines 1.5cm of movement or something like that. This is only .5cm yet makes a massive difference to temperatures.

what are those pegs made of and where can i get some?  i'm having temp issues.

i got cgminer installed and working!
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 02:19:53 AM

what are those pegs made of and where can i get some?  i'm having temp issues.

Great!

They're... pegs... as in clothes pegs, for a clothes line. I just pulled them apart. You get them... everywhere and these particular ones are made of... plastic.

-ck
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 03:15:23 AM

what are those pegs made of and where can i get some?  i'm having temp issues.

Great!

They're... pegs... as in clothes pegs, for a clothes line. I just pulled them apart. You get them... everywhere and these particular ones are made of... plastic.

i don't know how you're keeping your temps under control with cards that close.  i have 2 cards that close and the top one is running 102C using cgminer with fan at 100%. 
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 06:23:27 AM

Take a good look at the pic of the case being used:
http://ck.kolivas.org/pictures/Mining/IMG_1048.JPG

(ignore the crossfire bridges, they've been removed).

All the heat in that case goes out vertically upwards with reference cards that blow in that direction.
The case fan underneath is 180mm (there are 2) and blows directly into the cards with no obstruction whatsoever when closed.
The PSU is not even effectively *in* the case, having its own section so not contributing to case heat nor having to suck any heat out of its own accord.
The back is massively ventilated as well.
The case is a full sized tower, not a mini or midi tower.
The cards have spacers between them as shown in the earlier photo.
All the cards have their memory underclocked to exactly 125 below their optimal engine clock speeds (the cards run engines from 950-1005).
The cards were ordered so that the fastest ones were put in slot 0 and 3 since they generated the most heat they needed the best ventilation.
cgminer basically ran in all its auto settings to keep the fans running optimal.
Virtually all GPU fans ran in the 45-75% range during winter and most ran at 85% in summer (none ever needed to go to 100%), yet the temps were targetted and kept at 75 degrees.
This is all I can remember offhand.

...All in all this is a purpose built rig with a lot of thought into making it work within a case, and the case was carefully chosen. It is not just components slapped together. It ran 6 months without a single hiccup. What *has* taken this rig down, though, is a dead motherboard. Not sure what I could have done to prevent that one though.

-ck
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: