Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:11:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY CHANGE(aka BIP hell)?  (Read 10302 times)
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 10:16:13 PM

having to remember/transfer super long addresses is not broken Roll Eyes

This is definitely "not broken". I really don't find this a problem, at all. And for those crying about the sender having to pay to include the larger transactions, come on, I bet you can include transactions to multi-sig addresses paying an irrelevant fee. And probably the only reason they wouldn't be included for free is due to the standard fee policy.*

I'm not saying BIP 16/17 are not interesting. Only that there's no reason to rush or stress over it.

You people are really "making a storm in a glass of water".

* There you go, an example of something I find more important than these BIPs: removing the standard fee policy. This would need anti-spam protection. I remember some development was on the way concerning this, but I don't know if it's finished...
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 10:22:14 PM

having to remember/transfer super long addresses is not broken Roll Eyes

This is definitely "not broken". I really don't find this a problem, at all.

So you are using multi-sig right?  Why not?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 10:54:26 PM

from what i can tell, OP is either seriously ignorant or a troll. Undecided

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 11:16:30 PM

I can imagine the reaction of kokjo when BIND8 arrived, he was using BIND4 his entire life... Now all is different! Oh my!!

How to setup my domain.com?!?! I need to learn all again! CRAP!

Pleeease... Grow up... Evolution is part of this Universe, gets used to it! Even if all is good, the evolution come and try to make things better today than yesterday.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 01:28:03 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2012, 01:38:25 AM by HostFat

If you don't like evolution, you can simply go back to use old currencies as usd/eur are Wink

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 01:32:48 AM

If you don't want to change you can just ignore the new feature(s). There is zero risk with the proposed changes for anybody running old, un-hacked versions of bitcoin.

(if you are solo mining and hacked your version of bitcoin to accept 'non-standard' transactions then you could shoot yourself in your foot, but even that is unlikely).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
jothan

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 02:06:25 AM

mine bank does not. i have keep my computer free from virus. like any other person should do.
oh boy, more of "I NEVER SAW THIS THEREFORE IT NEVER HAPPENS". Roll Eyes there's a lot of things people should do. but do everyone do it? no. not everyone is a pro when it comes to computers, and people are especially vulnerable to social engineering attacks. what's so bad about adding an extra layer of security? This isn't your project. if you don't like this change, you're free to start your own fork. the source code in on github.
im trying to get you to spoon feed me, because this stuff is just sooo stupid, that you have to realise what you are doing.
not sure if serious. then i read the text below your avatar. now you're on my ignore list
evolution will eliminate week species. computer retards -> week species.

<nazi type="grammar">You sir are a rather WEAK speller.</nazi>

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 02:54:17 AM

though this change seems to me as something that must be done, it does seems a bit rushed.
My only concern that maybe not enough testing was done and there would be a way to exploit the change after it goes live...
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 05:54:21 AM

Kokjo has been trolling for a while if you weren't aware of it.

This or he's never thinking twice before spewing a post.
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 07:47:58 AM

I can imagine the reaction of kokjo when BIND8 arrived, he was using BIND4 his entire life... Now all is different! Oh my!!

How to setup my domain.com?!?! I need to learn all again! CRAP!

Pleeease... Grow up... Evolution is part of this Universe, gets used to it! Even if all is good, the evolution come and try to make things better today than yesterday.
no dude. BIND8 does not change the dns protocol, and any old client would work fine. its just the config file on some server i need to mess around with.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 07:51:04 AM

mine bank does not. i have keep my computer free from virus. like any other person should do.
oh boy, more of "I NEVER SAW THIS THEREFORE IT NEVER HAPPENS". Roll Eyes there's a lot of things people should do. but do everyone do it? no. not everyone is a pro when it comes to computers, and people are especially vulnerable to social engineering attacks. what's so bad about adding an extra layer of security? This isn't your project. if you don't like this change, you're free to start your own fork. the source code in on github.
im trying to get you to spoon feed me, because this stuff is just sooo stupid, that you have to realise what you are doing.
not sure if serious. then i read the text below your avatar. now you're on my ignore list
evolution will eliminate week species. computer retards -> week species.

<nazi type="grammar">You sir are a rather WEAK speller.</nazi>
true, but as long as the message gets through, i don't care.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 08:05:47 AM

If you don't want to change you can just ignore the new feature(s). There is zero risk with the proposed changes for anybody running old, un-hacked versions of bitcoin.

(if you are solo mining and hacked your version of bitcoin to accept 'non-standard' transactions then you could shoot yourself in your foot, but even that is unlikely).

okey, a have read the proposals again. i still don't like it, but it's acceptable.
but why the rush? February 15, 2012? are you crazy? try 2013.

i still don't like how OP_EQUAL i working as an opcode with two different meanings depending on the version of bitcoin.
how will this be implemented to avoid a endless loop? isn't there a risk of this?

kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 08:06:55 AM

Kokjo has been trolling for a while if you weren't aware of it.

This or he's never thinking twice before spewing a post.
Both!

pusle

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 12:17:43 PM

Most agree this will come eventually and to some it's rather urgent since it must be deployed well in advance of actual use.

Arguing that more testing is needed and feb15 is too soon is fine and I actually agree with you on that count.

Why don't you use your time and skills to debug BIP16/17  instead of calling everybody else stupid
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 12:38:49 PM

Why don't you use your time and skills to debug BIP16/17  instead of calling everybody else stupid
why should i debug something that im not a fan of?

Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 12:44:14 PM

to prove its broken
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 12:46:04 PM

to prove its broken
backward compatibility is by default broken, no need to debug.

(yes it is trolling)

Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 01:13:27 PM

this that you are doing are not helping bitcoin.

ROFL!
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 11:24:03 PM

Everyone please calm down. You are all in violent agreement.

There is really only one dispute here, and it's something over which reasonable people can disagree.

That dispute is, are short addresses required for successful deployment of 2-factor coins?

Everything else, everyone agrees on:

• 2-factor/multisig coins are an important feature to have
  • Gavin and team are competent and know what they are doing
  • Changing the rules of the protocol is difficult, expensive and best avoided if possible.

I don't know anyone reasonable who would disagree with the above points.

Now maybe Kokjo believes 2-factor coins can be successfully deployed without short addresses. As it happens, I would agree with that, because I believe fees will work quite differently in future, so I don't care much about where exactly the bytes go or how many there are, and I see the cost of rule changes as being higher than the benefit. 2-factor coins will happen with or without P2SH because CHECKMULTISIG whitelisting is quite uncontroversial.

But Gavin, Luke and plenty of other people with a deep understanding of Bitcoin disagree. They see short addresses as being very important, and I can certainly understand that position.

Regardless of the outcome, the eventual impact of this decision will be quite trivial - something that a small cadre of Bitcoin protocol implementors need to think about, but it'll all be hidden from users. Its impact on the success or failure of the project is miniscule. So chill out Smiley
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 11:33:16 PM

ok, what's with the quadruple posts?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: