Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:29:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: standard hardware vs asic - what do you use for mining?  (Read 2272 times)
arstech (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 10:26:29 PM

Hi ,

I am new to the forum and not familiar with the current ratio of standard vs asic and the latest trends.

In the early days miners could use CPUs only for crunching.
Then miners started using GPU cards.
Currently there is use of ASIC boards.

A questions for all miners -
What type of hardware do you use - standard CPU/GPU or asic boards?

Thanks, Paul.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 10:34:55 PM

Hi ,

I am new to the forum and not familiar with the current ratio of standard vs asic and the latest trends.

Thanks, Paul.

There is no reason for anyone to still mine with CPU/GPU. I am very close to shut down my first asic boards because they cost more power to run than what bitcoins they generate. So ASIC is the way to go.

Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 09:06:49 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2014, 10:44:15 AM by Biffa

Hi ,

Thanks, Paul.

You have a lot to learn Paul.

Depends what TYPE of crypto coin you are mining.

SHA256 - needs high end, low voltage, low cost ASIC now to be worthwhile.
SCRYPT - Can still be done with GPU, but new ASICs being introduced now and over the next months will make the GPU redundant for this crypto
SCRYPT-N/X11 - more ASIC resistant, still being mined with GPU's but in the end may become ASIC-ified if there is enough momentum/value in it.

CPU, nothing worth mining on CPU that can't and is converted to GPU/ASIC mining.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 10:21:33 AM

Hi ,

Thanks, Paul.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/04/digging-for-answers-the-strong-smell-of-fraud-from-one-bitcoin-miner-maker/

Just read your writer at arstecnica!

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
arstech (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 09:25:39 PM

Hi ,

I am new to the forum ................

Thanks, Paul.

There is no reason for anyone to still mine with CPU/GPU. I am very close to shut down my first asic boards because they cost more power to run than what bitcoins they generate. So ASIC is the way to go.

Can a configuration of 1CPU hooked to multiple GPUs (4/6/8) offer more performance or be competitive with an ASIC board?

Thanks, Paul.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 09:30:07 PM

Hi ,

I am new to the forum ................

Thanks, Paul.

Can a configuration of 1CPU hooked to multiple GPUs (4/6/8) offer more performance or be competitive with an ASIC board?

Thanks, Paul.

No.  Multiple GPUs together are still in the MH/s range.

At the moment to even have a chance at breakeven, you'd need 2 TH/s or higher with reasonable power consumption.

Only reason you'd even consider GPU's would be Alt or Scrypt Mining, but that's already being phased out this summer.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 10:00:21 AM

SCRYPT-N/X11 - more ASIC resistant, still being mined with GPU's but in the end may become ASIC-ified if there is enough momentum/value in it.
By the way it is rumored that manufacturers already has a samples of X11 ASICs since May. On trader from Russla told it.

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
darkghost568

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 04:15:12 PM

Keep in mind that GPUs can mine many different coins on many different algorithms, whereas ASICs can only mine coins using the specific algorithm the ASIC was designed for, making the GPU more versitile. If you plan on switching coins every so often the GPU may be your best bet. Also, GPUs generally have better long term resale value, and if you're ever building a personal rig, it's nice to have one handy Tongue
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 05:48:04 PM

By the way it is rumored that manufacturers already has a samples of X11 ASICs since May. On trader from Russla told it.

Yeah. ASIC resilient is a misnomer. I can make my own encryption protocol and go 'look no ASICs you can't build ASICs for it'. It doesn't matter if I spent 2 minutes or 2 years researching that protocol, you CAN build ASICs for it by the very definition of an ASIC.

aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 10:12:26 PM

Yeah. ASIC resilient is a misnomer. I can make my own encryption protocol and go 'look no ASICs you can't build ASICs for it'. It doesn't matter if I spent 2 minutes or 2 years researching that protocol, you CAN build ASICs for it by the very definition of an ASIC.

Totally agree Dogie... nothing is Asic Proof.  A GPU is also an ASIC made in the same fabs where bitcoin mining asics are made.   By optimising a coin's mining algorithm to run on GPUs and not ASICs is ridiculous.. and just encourages malware to exist and be profitable, while giving the profits to companies who make GPUs instead of companies who make crypto-mining asics.  Not to mention that a purpose built asic is extremely low power for its task as its been optimised, whereas a general purpose GPU wont have been optimised and will be more power hungry and wasteful of resources.

arieq

Activity: 364
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 12, 2014, 03:21:30 AM

Hi ,

Thanks, Paul.

yeah but the asic will be worth peanuts in a couple months, at least gpu's hold their value and there's always coins minable with GPU's coming out that are more profitable

darkmind

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 12:27:09 PM

many good things you can mine with gpu that you cant with asic

arieq

Activity: 364
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:34:02 PM

many good things you can mine with gpu that you cant with asic

ASICS destroyed crypto interest for millions of potential miners who also happen to be traders, developers and consumers. It's possible the new GPU only coins could repair that...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: