Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:32:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Faraday Cage / Cold Storage  (Read 7789 times)
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 01:06:37 AM

Dumb Question,  we store all the bitcoins sent to cold storage in a vault that is a faraday cage shielded to protect against something like this.

My question is due to us getting bombarded every 2 days now with CME's coming from the sun,  the next one scheduled to hit earth tomorrow is that something I could be using for promotional stuff?   

In case you don't know what I am talking about,  as you're reading this planes are being diverted due to the electromagnetic storm.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/23/planes-rerouted-fearing-strongest-radiation-storm-in-7-years/

Like your bitcoins would be safe even in the event of a larger one such as a Carrington Event if they are sent to flexcoin's cold storage option.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
punningclan

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 01:50:41 AM

Dumb Question,  we store all the bitcoins sent to cold storage in a vault that is a faraday cage shielded to protect against something like this.

My question is due to us getting bombarded every 2 days now with CME's coming from the sun,  the next one scheduled to hit earth tomorrow is that something I could be using for promotional stuff?   

In case you don't know what I am talking about,  as you're reading this planes are being diverted due to the electromagnetic storm.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/23/planes-rerouted-fearing-strongest-radiation-storm-in-7-years/

Like your bitcoins would be safe even in the event of a larger one such as a Carrington Event if they are sent to flexcoin's cold storage option.

It's probably a really good idea to get the word out!
+1

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 02:18:58 AM

lol fox news

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 02:22:52 AM

Why not print a private key with QR code on paper.  That should be safe from solar flares if you put it in a fireproof box.  Don't forget, the wiring in your house isn't too different from the telegraph lines that burst into flames in 1859.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 02:24:47 AM

hehe we already have private cold storage EMP proof... CD discs and paper wallets or even stone  Cheesy

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 03:17:04 AM

private keys punched or engraved into steel plates in a good sized safe would be pretty safe.  Fireproof to 1500+ degrees. 

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 03:27:30 AM

Wrap your media and your paper backups in copper mesh, place in a waterproof enclosure and keep in your freezer- the poor man's fireproof Faraday cold storage.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 03:40:41 AM

I think a bigger problem is the possible "I lost everyone's bitcoins due to the solar flare, sorry, so long and thanks for all the fish" scams.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 03:45:29 AM

I think a bigger problem is the possible "I lost everyone's bitcoins due to the solar flare, sorry, so long and thanks for all the fish" scams.

But we can see if they move.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 03:56:33 AM

A paper wallet is a million times easier.  They work really well.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 03:57:45 AM

A paper wallet is a million times easier.  They work really well.

but so fragile at the same time  Undecided

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 03:58:21 AM

A paper wallet is a million times easier.  They work really well.

but so fragile at the same time  Undecided

Make a photocopy and keep it in two places.

Create it from passphrase and then it's also in your head.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 04:09:02 AM

A paper wallet is a million times easier.  They work really well.

but so fragile at the same time  Undecided

Make a photocopy and keep it in two places.

Create it from passphrase and then it's also in your head.

or maybe laminate some sheets too. Talking about deterministic wallets, where i can find a tool for that ?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 04:51:57 AM

or maybe laminate some sheets too. Talking about deterministic wallets, where i can find a tool for that ?

Look for Casascius Bitcoin Utility on github.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 05:02:36 AM

Look for Casascius Bitcoin Utility on github.

thanks

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:20:38 AM

Well, it might not be that big of a deal, but if it's what you're doing, I wouldn't think it would *hurt* to advertise that fact. There would definitely be people who choose your service over others just for that.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 05:31:37 AM

Wrap your media and your paper backups in copper mesh, place in a waterproof enclosure and keep in your freezer- the poor man's fireproof Faraday cold storage.

Or you could put them in liquid nitrogen for even colder storage.  Grin

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 05:41:34 AM

Dumb Question,  we store all the bitcoins sent to cold storage in a vault that is a faraday cage shielded to protect against something like this.

Well, it might not be that big of a deal, but if it's what you're doing, I wouldn't think it would *hurt* to advertise that fact. There would definitely be people who choose your service over others just for that.

On a single piece of media that could spontaneously fail for any reason?

I would be more comfortable hearing that the private keys were kept in two places and were maintained in such a way that, for example, an unexpected death of the custodian of those coins wouldn't result in their loss, while meanwhile ensuring that they're adequately protected from theft.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 06:06:23 AM

Dumb Question,  we store all the bitcoins sent to cold storage in a vault that is a faraday cage shielded to protect against something like this.

On a single piece of media that could spontaneously fail for any reason?

I would be more comfortable hearing that the private keys were kept in two places and were maintained in such a way that, for example, an unexpected death of the custodian of those coins wouldn't result in their loss, while meanwhile ensuring that they're adequately protected from theft.

I don't know that they don't have multiple copies, or what the data is stored on.

I'm just pointing out that there are people who will hear about the solar flares due this year, think, "Holy crap! My computers might not be safe!", and then sometime down the road see the "Solar-Flare Safe!" line on their webpage and jump right on it.

I have no comment as to the usefulness of it. Just that it shouldn't *hurt* sales to put it up on their website, and might actually gain a few.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 07:34:56 AM

My somewhat limited understanding is that present-day computer memory (RAM, ROM, but also flash) is susceptible to failures due to high-energy particles (aka cosmic rays), solar flares, and also background radioactive decay of the very materials electronic components are built from. Solar flares also disturb the magnetic field of the Earth, thereby occasionally weakening the shielding against cosmic rays. Whenever you fly on an airplane, the rate of failure of cells in your USB drive is significantly higher than on the ground. There are error-correcting mechanism in place that help to some extent.

Magnetic storage, as most of us know, is even less reliable (albeit with a different set of modes of failure) unless we keep redundant copies.

Having said all this, I conclude that most of responses in this thread so far are quite reasonable: one of the many beauties of Bitcoin is that private keys can be represented in a simple, physical form factor which is much more robust than present day electronics. Sheets of metal or even paper sound much more appropriate than having to worry about Faraday cages, radiation hardening, HDD failure, and such.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: