Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:11:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you mine on deepbit?  (Read 18301 times)
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 01:48:12 PM

Tycho is smart and he should never lower the fee.
People behave like flock animals and will concentrate to whatever is the biggest pool "because it must be good if it's popular".

Only an imbecile would, in his position, try to be "competitive" by taking away the astronomical fees. He is profiting from the stupidity of other people's "choices".

He doesn't need to 'compete' because the pool status is a self fulfilling prophecy.
It's big so it will keep being big, because new miners want to be in a "big pool". People actually willing to pay 10% for mining.

Only extended downtime could bring it down, and I believe some have tried it (DDoS), without success. So it's not going away for a long time if ever.

Quote from: os2sam
If you can do a better job than Deepbit or any other fee based pool, then just do it.

Doesn't work that way, it's popularity was already established when mining became common.
Nobody or nothing can surpass it anymore (without, once again, extended downtime of the pool)

You can't make a new deepbit any more than you can make a new Microsoft or Apple.
Those market positions are already filled by the biggest player and can't be surpassed without either illegal means or misfortune.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 08:33:32 PM

Quote from: os2sam
If you can do a better job than Deepbit or any other fee based pool, then just do it.

Doesn't work that way, it's popularity was already established when mining became common.
Nobody or nothing can surpass it anymore (without, once again, extended downtime of the pool)

You can't make a new deepbit any more than you can make a new Microsoft or Apple.
Those market positions are already filled by the biggest player and can't be surpassed without either illegal means or misfortune.

I respectfully disagree.  If someone else did come up with a good and reliable pool/service with the quality of service DB provides they could do as well.  But I seriously doubt that a no fee pool could it.  And the other factor, the way everyone is talking, is that this P2Pool thing may make pools obsolete.  If that is true then it is all a moot point anyway.

I'm sure the investment, maintenance and defending against attacks cost allot of time and money.  I have no idea what kind of profit the fee based pools make but I'm sure it's nowhere near what many people may think.  And if it is, well good for them for getting a return on their investment.

Hmm, people used to say the same thing about IBM and their Mainframes.  Someone will, eventually, unseat M$.  It will take someone with vision like Gates and Jobs and can effectively implement it.  It won't happen by someone with the attitude that the "biggest player and can't be surpassed".
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 08:40:58 PM

if somebody small tries to compete with MS, intel or something like that - they just buy him...
It takes a lot more than a good idea/product to surpass the giants
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 08:59:33 PM

I'd be happy to switch pools, But heres the thing, They fucking suck.
I was drifting inbetween slush/deepbit during that mass ddos Era, And i FUCKING HATED slush's pool
Weeee 120blocks till you get your funds, Oh that block was invalid? Shitty. No rewards for anyones Massive amount of wasted hashing power
BTCguild 120blocks and Shit latency's (forme) Regardless of chosen server
Deebit? It might/Mostlikely has the 120block thing, But i dont see it, I dont notice it. So I say It Does Not Affect Me.

the #1 thing about deepbit? Tycho pays for invaild blocks. That shits expensive.
They also Dissaprove (dont take my word for it) of Poolhopping, Wich i dislike.
They also Dissaprove of Merged Mining, Wich i dislike.

And thats why i mine on deepbit

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:17:43 PM

Merged mining=more profit

How can someone hate extra profit? Maybe fanboys...

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:23:41 PM

Merged mining=more profit

How can someone hate extra profit? Maybe fanboys...

At 245 NMC per BTC I'm sure everyone is really raking in massive profits from MM.

Right.
Sam

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:26:08 PM

There are expenses for MM? You mine less BTC if you do MM? No. It's really EXTRA profit.

Avoiding extra profit? Fanboy detected.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:31:29 PM

There are expenses for MM? You mine less BTC if you do MM? No. It's really EXTRA profit.

Avoiding extra profit? Fanboy detected.

And how much EXTRA profit have you really made from MM?  I'm not saying it isn't there I'm just saying it's negligible.  Maybe that will change in the future though.  I'm not getting rid of the few NMC's I have, but I'm not exactly excited about having them either.
Sam

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:37:01 PM

And?

Having something more is better than not having it.

And about pool hopping, i hate it too, how to solve the problem? Join a pool that use anti-hopping methods (pay per share, pay per score thing etc...), problem solved.

TeaL

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:39:35 PM

Reasons I mine at Deepbit:

1. I'm lazy.

2. Contrary to the rest of my life, I picked what was the simplest solution at the time.

3. Their site had more features than any other pool when I signed up (still there because of point 1).

4. Mining teams, go BU.

I'm sure many of you would have some choice words for me, but it ultimately comes down to point 1 (that's why it's point 1). Deepbit was the simplest pool to use when I first started mining, and I can't be bothered to create a new account somewhere else / modify my shell scripts.

I will add though, if Deepbit were to gain 51% share (which it wont), I'd move out of it for the good of the currency (not that my 1.8GH/s would do much to Deepbits overall influence).
Costia

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:39:42 PM

i dont like merged mining either, why keep useless stuff
it isnt intended to be used as a currency, and i dont need a distributed dns
if i kept anything that might have a value, my house would be full of junk
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:48:03 PM

And?

Having something more is better than not having it.

And about pool hopping, i hate it too, how to solve the problem? Join a pool that use anti-hopping methods (pay per share, pay per score thing etc...), problem solved.

MM and NMC is no way worth the hype nor grief that it has caused.  But it is here now, by popular demand on most pools.  That doesn't mean it's a good idea.  But again that is the choice of most folks so I guess that's fine.

I have no problem with pool hoppers.  Again it is a choice people are free to make to do or not to do as it is for pools to decide if they want to tolerate them or not and a choice you are free to make by using a pool that has anti hopping measures/payout method in place.

But back to the subject of this thread, Deepbit doesn't condone Pool Hopping.
Sam

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:51:30 PM

Condone or not condone?

If the pool is pay per share/per score there is no need to "condone" anything: pool hopping is useless on that pool. Problem solved.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:51:34 PM

i dont like merged mining either, why keep useless stuff
it isnt intended to be used as a currency, and i dont need a distributed dns
if i kept anything that might have a value, my house would be full of junk

I have several original IBM XT's, one with an 8086 even. Smiley

Sorry that was blatancy off topic.  I promise to try not to do it again.
Sam

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:56:30 PM

Condone or not condone?

If the pool is pay per share/per score there is no need to "condone" anything: pool hopping is useless on that pool. Problem solved.

doesn't condone = does NOT condone.

So you only mine on PPS Pools?  I mine on PPS pools but not because they are hopping proof.  Wasn't DB the first PPS pool?
Sam

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 09:56:45 PM

the #1 thing about deepbit? Tycho pays for invaild blocks. That shits expensive.

Are you really that dense?  Tycho doesn't pay for invalid blocks ... YOU DO VIA FEES.  Lolz.

How many invalid blocks has Deepbit had in the last 100 blocks?  You are aware that a properly functioning pools has very low (like <1%) invalid block rate.  Deepbit is probably closer to 0.5%.

It would be like saying my bank charges me $20 per month for my checking account BUT I get 3 free ATM withdraws.  No way am I going to that "expensive" bank which has free checking but charges $1 per ATM withdraw.

If you like Deepbit then fine but stop providing stupid non-reasons why.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:01:31 PM

The subject line read "Why do you mine on deepbit?"

Not  "what are the stupid non-reasons why you mine on deepbit?" Smiley
Sam

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:48:11 PM

Are you really that dense?  Tycho doesn't pay for invalid blocks ... YOU DO VIA FEES.  Lolz.

How many invalid blocks has Deepbit had in the last 100 blocks?  You are aware that a properly functioning pools has very low (like <1%) invalid block rate.  Deepbit is probably closer to 0.5%.

It would be like saying my bank charges me $20 per month for my checking account BUT I get 3 free ATM withdraws.  No way am I going to that "expensive" bank which has free checking but charges $1 per ATM withdraw.

Psh, Slush charged 2% fees, And does not pay for invalid blocks.
I'll agree that the tax that he places on his pool that i've choosen to send my hashing power at pays tycho, Who pays the blocks, érgo my money is helping to pay for the invalid block.

But i put that point down because i do not see Any other pool that uses the 'tax funds/your money' to pay for the invalid block.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Costia

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:52:10 PM

because other pools dont take your money in the first place Smiley
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 10:53:02 PM

Man, how is it that so many seemingly intelligent people on these forums don't understand what construes libel and slander, let alone the differences between the two?

Slander - a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report.

DEEPBIT = ENEMY OF BITCOIN

Maybe I can't prove that this statement is slanderous.  But I doubt that he can be proven to be true.

I've never said anything about libel nor being "seemingly intelligent" either.  Smiley
Sam

That statement is in print, making it libel.

Point proven.

Except that one of the most common defenses to libel is "reasonable belief" that the statements are true, where "reasonable belief" usually means that the idea can be entertained by a rational person.  Clearly, many here are entertaining the idea by trying to form rational arguments against the OP.  

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: