Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:46:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2011 NYC  (Read 66375 times)
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 08:56:39 AM

anyones bitcoin related parties.
Is that all this is? If this really is going to be a major event, Bruce should be able to get whoever does run bitcoin.org (Sirius?) to acknowledge it.

Bruce, some confirmation that everything you promised is indeed happening, and data on the number of participants, is in order.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 09:13:35 AM

Is that all this is? If this really is going to be a major event, Bruce should be able to get whoever does run bitcoin.org (Sirius?) to acknowledge it.

Bruce, some confirmation that everything you promised is indeed happening, and data on the number of participants, is in order.

Whoa there, sorry you seem to have missunderstood me. I was paraphrasing, possibly being more dramatic than is really needed. I am at no point saying this is going to be small, it could be huge. It could be like... the meeting of the waters, I was just saying that bitcoin.org is neutral or at least the people who are running bitcoin.org are not involved in this conference.

And that being neutral means that they can't favor one over the other, put a link for one conference then they'll have everyone in the bitcoin world looking for what is essentially free advertising.

Also, although I'm a mod I don't speak for the admins and the ultimate owner/runner of bitcoin.org (or anyone else for that matter).

Nefario.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 09:23:43 AM

Whoa there, sorry you seem to have missunderstood me. I was paraphrasing, possibly being more dramatic than is really needed. I am at no point saying this is going to be small, it could be huge. It could be like... the meeting of the waters, I was just saying that bitcoin.org is neutral or at least the people who are running bitcoin.org are not involved in this conference.

And that being neutral means that they can't favor one over the other, put a link for one conference then they'll have everyone in the bitcoin world looking for what is essentially free advertising.

Also, although I'm a mod I don't speak for the admins and the ultimate owner/runner of bitcoin.org (or anyone else for that matter).

Nefario.
I got that, kind of, but I'm not buying the slippery slope argument. There's a fairly clear line between a global, annual (presumably) event, and other stuff.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 05:31:43 PM

I'm excited to see how this will turn out. Sounds like a LAN party to me. But hopefully something useful comes out of this. Not sure what bringing folks who already chat on the forum together will achieve idea-wise, but perhaps some friendships will be made.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 02:27:34 AM

If I were going to come for only one day, which day would be the best?

I want to meet bruce and the tradehill gang. Hope magicaltux can make it out, too.

Be humble!
Taxlow

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 04:30:35 AM

Funny how the first ever bitcoin conference thats been hyped to shit doesnt even sell tickets by bitcoin amount. Instead equivalent to the amount in USD.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 04:33:40 AM

Funny how the first ever bitcoin conference thats been hyped to shit doesnt even sell tickets by bitcoin amount. Instead equivalent to the amount in USD.

Yeah thats wierd cause on the show when bruce was making the buttons he said we don't think in dollars we think in bitcoins. lol.  Guess thats before the price tanked a bit.
Taxlow

Activity: 21

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 05:15:05 AM

So bitcoin is basically just a trading platform to maximize your gains in USD now, eh? That whole new currency unhinged from the dollar went out the window quick
BitVapes

Activity: 140

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 08:01:34 AM

well, he did mention the fees were to cover the expenses of the conference, and the expenses are likely fixed in USD, therefore the need to price in USD to maintain a 1:1 costs:fee ratio.

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
rasengan

Activity: 139
Merit: 37

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 10:59:36 AM

I had a chance to see OnlyOneTV first hand, and all I can say is I was impressed through and through.  I will definitely be attending the Bitcoin Conference. Smiley

Joseon.com - The First Legally Recognized Cyber State
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 11:32:34 AM

well, he did mention the fees were to cover the expenses of the conference, and the expenses are likely fixed in USD, therefore the need to price in USD to maintain a 1:1 costs:fee ratio.

Wait, are you trying to say that he could not actually USE bitcoins to buy anything useful for the conference and therefor has to immediately convert them to USD before he can actually DO something?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
BlockHash

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 01:36:36 PM

So bitcoin is basically just a trading platform to maximize your gains in USD now, eh? That whole new currency unhinged from the dollar went out the window quick

Bruce is a charlatan and snake oil salesman, plain and simple.

What's worse is that I used to like the guy, even though he's flighty as hell and absent minded, he sold himself as the lovable Mr. BitCoin guy. Then with his network being the disaster that it is (does he ever start on time or on the day he promised?) and his throwing BitCoin under the bus in his actions related to this conference, I can't see how anyone can trust a thing this man says.

He might as well come out and say, "Do as I say, not as I do - look over here at the shiny pony! pay no attention to me not using BitCoins to put my money where my mouth is".
BlockHash

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 01:41:52 PM

That is a very bad sign, if the organizer of the supposed global BitCon won't deal in BitCoins. We've had people make it all the way across the country only on BitCoins and they made it just fine! Organizing a conference around it should at the very least speak to the strength of BitCoin, not the supposed obstacles the promoter is having to endure.

I won't accept any other explanation than Bruce is just a speculator and hypes the BitCoin masses while not having the passion to back it up when words meet action.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 01:59:53 PM

That is a very bad sign, if the organizer of the supposed global BitCon won't deal in BitCoins. We've had people make it all the way across the country only on BitCoins and they made it just fine! Organizing a conference around it should at the very least speak to the strength of BitCoin, not the supposed obstacles the promoter is having to endure.

I won't accept any other explanation than Bruce is just a speculator and hypes the BitCoin masses while not having the passion to back it up when words meet action.

Wow.  Where is all of this anger coming from?  The guy is putting on a conference, and has done a ton to help bitcoin.  He puts in more 'actions' every day then you have put in so far.  His show is a service to the bitcoin community.

A seller has the right to price items or services ANY WAY THEY WANT.  With the price of bitcoin changing so much it is not unreasonable to price things in USD converted to bitcoin as payment. 

BlockHash

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 02:10:29 PM

Wow.  Where is all of this anger coming from?  The guy is putting on a conference, and has done a ton to help bitcoin.  He puts in more 'actions' every day then you have put in so far.  His show is a service to the bitcoin community.

A seller has the right to price items or services ANY WAY THEY WANT.  With the price of bitcoin changing so much it is not unreasonable to price things in USD converted to bitcoin as payment. 

Respectfully, you have no idea what I do for BitCoin, so speculation that someone may have done more than I have is just that - speculation. I'm totally fine with you taking that stance though, as the free market will prove the truth in the end.

I know Bruce has his fans and that's fine too, I used to be one of them as well. He has indeed helped spread the word about BitCoin, but I differ in my interpretation of exactly how much this has helped. A lot of very misleading information has been put out there and endorsements for products/services were given without any due diligence. He's promised a lot but hasn't delivered in terms of the network and the show, which amounts to not much more than a man with a laptop giggling at himself on camera anymore. This conference is just being handled terribly and I think that his insistence that everything be handled in USD equivalents is just a sign of his true intentions in the BitCoin market - and that is speculation.  That, on the surface, is acceptable but when you run a network around BitCoins and build up BitCoins as the best thing ever, shouldn't you practice what you preach? I just find that very unprofessional.

Plus, changing the venue without a word and without any input from the community was a pretty low class thing to do as well. Yes, venues do change, but the way it was done was very misleading and unprofessional.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 04:01:27 PM

Respectfully, you have no idea what I do for BitCoin, so speculation that someone may have done more than I have is just that - speculation. I'm totally fine with you taking that stance though, as the free market will prove the truth in the end.

What do you do for bitcoin?

TYDIRocks

Activity: 213

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 04:10:24 PM

Wish I could make it, I'll be on vacation though.

Import new address/private keys with ease: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101161
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 04:12:53 PM

What do you do for bitcoin?

I share that question.

"
BlockHash
Whitelisted
"

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
solarpower

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 04:29:43 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2011, 04:41:02 PM by solarpower

Why did the venue change, and why is there no update here or in the agenda (and why was this after I booked a hotel)?

Ok so I am doing the math and checking the finances to see if i can go.  I checked everywhere I can think of and i don't see anything about the location changing. (as you said above)

How do you know it was changed? Did you get a email since you were registered or something?  I have not registered and now i don't want to register till I know where it is.

Can you tell me where the new location is?

update ------
after posting this the only spot i could find that mentions the change is this website. (using google)
http://www.betabeat.com/2011/08/09/bitcoin-conference-and-world-expo-moved-to-roosevelt-hotel/

it is not listed anywhere else  (what is the new location a secret?)... wonder how many people will show up at the wrong venue and just go home when they don't see anything going on ...

like a week to go .. .kinda handy to know where i am trying to go to.

haven't seen the latest bitcoin shows maybe it was mentioned there?

Solarpower 

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 04:44:41 PM

I know Bruce has his fans and that's fine too, I used to be one of them as well. He has indeed helped spread the word about BitCoin, but I differ in my interpretation of exactly how much this has helped. A lot of very misleading information has been put out there and endorsements for products/services were given without any due diligence. He's promised a lot but hasn't delivered in terms of the network and the show, which amounts to not much more than a man with a laptop giggling at himself on camera anymore. This conference is just being handled terribly and I think that his insistence that everything be handled in USD equivalents is just a sign of his true intentions in the BitCoin market - and that is speculation.  That, on the surface, is acceptable but when you run a network around BitCoins and build up BitCoins as the best thing ever, shouldn't you practice what you preach? I just find that very unprofessional.

Plus, changing the venue without a word and without any input from the community was a pretty low class thing to do as well. Yes, venues do change, but the way it was done was very misleading and unprofessional.

How in the world do you expect a person to run a conference while just accepting fees at a set bitcoin price?  They could potentially lose a lot of money doing that.  Basing the fee on bitcoins valued in USD is not speculation - it's anti-speculation.  Speculation would be setting a rigid, unchanging fee in bitcoins right at the start, in the hope that the price won't drop.

What would happen if a conference holder were to set a rigid ticket price in BTC that was just enough to cover the expenses, while Bitcoins were worth $30/each?  Suddenly, they're only worth $10 each, people are still buying tickets, and the conference holder has no way to cover the expenses except from his own pocket.  And you think this is the right way to go about things?

You could say that the conference holder should only be buying from people who sell products/services in bitcoins, so that he doesn't ever need to convert them to USD, but guess what?  Those vendors usually convert straight to USD, which means their prices will change according to the current USD/BTC rate.  Which means the conference holder would STILL be in the exact same position (of being screwed) if he set the prices according to an earlier valuation, and then the price drops.

The only way for him to hedge a potential loss if he was to set rigid prices is to set a ridiculously high price to start with, just in case the price drops.  But I'm sure people would rather pay prices that are reasonable, and based on the USD valuation of a BTC at the time of the payment, than pay 10x as much as the conference is worth.

Sheesh man, use your head!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: