Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:44:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2011 NYC  (Read 66375 times)
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 10:47:35 PM

Hi Bruce,

1. Why did the venue change?
2. How does this affect the agenda? Why wasn't it updated to reflect it?
3. Do the people who you said were coming still plan to? I'm especially interested in meeting Jered and the rest of the Tradehill people.
4. Are the news agencies written on bitcoinconference.com still covering the event?
5. How many people have registered?

I've registered and booked everything, and my (substantial) hotel charges are non-refundable. But I may still cancel and cut my losses if this turns out to be a dud. If you are an honorable person you will accurately present details which are relevant to my decision.

1.   The venue changed because we had more people coming than we could accommodate at the original venue ( for Saturday ).

2.   This does not affect the agenda.   The schedule does now reflect "The Roosevelt Hotel" for Saturday.    ( which is only a few blocks away from the original venue, OnlyOneTV Studios ).

3.   Yes.  And many more than I originally said.  However, as for specific people --- like TradeHill --- you must ASK THEM.   Obviously, I cannot guarantee that anyone will come just because they said they would.

4.   That is what they told me.  Yes.   But I cannot guarantee any specific news agency's attendance either.

5.   As of this moment, many people have either registered online and paid by bitcoin, or paid in advance using other means.   However, the bitcoin community is a group of very very busy people.  Just as many more have told me they are coming... but have NOT yet registered.  We are expecting most people to register within the last 4 days.  The new venue will seat up to 200 people in the main seating auditorium, and accommodate about 20 vendor tables (6 ft by 2.5 ft) for vendor displays of products and services.

We are encouraging everyone to PLEASE go register right now... at http://bitcoinconference.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:07:21 AM

I want to go but I can only spend 1 day there. Can you please take an educated guess when the best day will be?

Also, is anyone kind enough to lend a room for the night?

Be humble!
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:19:16 AM

Saturday is the BIGGEST day, for sure.  Smiley

Thursday evening pre-conference festivities will begin.

The conference will start on friday. 

Sunday morning will be very busy too.   

And sunday afternoon and evening will be post conference parties.

Some key people have said that they will remain in town all week.
stsbrad

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Brad Willman, SSCP, LTCP, MCTS,SCE,BCE

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:34:44 AM

I want to go but I can only spend 1 day there. Can you please take an educated guess when the best day will be?

Also, is anyone kind enough to lend a room for the night?

me but you would have to crash on the floor and not be weird. I'm staying at the Roosevelt.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 13, 2011, 03:58:09 AM

Unfortunately I will only be able to attend on Saturday, August 20.

Arriving Friday night, departing Sunday morning...

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:46:13 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2011, 12:05:13 PM by Bruce Wagner

As for the somethingaweful kids trolling way back, "humor" is in the eye of the beholder.  If it makes me laugh, that's good.  As long as it doesn't harm.  Don't waste people's time with epic-length posts interrupting a serious conversation.  That's not cool.  And not even funny.  Stick to harmless fun, like Cosby, bitcoin show theme, quadricopters etc.  Thanks.  I still love you.

Obviously,  as has been discussed, when bitcoin drops from $13.50 to $5.50 due to thieves devistating trust in Bitcoin..... that's a big problem.  The Roosevelt Hotel won't accept a fixed Bitcoin amount ( and you know I tried to get them to! you know I did! )

Ed and I and OnlyOneTV are not trying to make a profit on this event.  But we can't afford for it to lose money either.

We could have made the price a fixed 6 BTC or something... and kept it there.  But our desire was / is to keep it very affordable..... so every little startup and individual and even super smart high school kid..... with a passion for Bitcoin.... can attend.

We certainly don't want anyone turned away because they can't afford the admission price....  No no no!     ( if anyone is in that situation, email me )     No one will be turned away because they don't have $26.   Not on my watch.

Meanwhile, nothing is being kept secret ( except some big announcements being saved for the event ).....  We're just VERY busy.    And as for the numbers of registrations...  that is a moving target.

To complainers, I'll say only two things:  (1)  If you don't like anything about how this is run, you can let me know via email.  If you wanna complain to the world about it, just start your own conference.  (2) If you're the type of person who always finds something to complain about...  Please don't come to this conference.  Please.  Just don't come.

This is going to be a MAGICAL event... filled with unbelievable positive energy.

TRUST ME. This is not gonna be like any Bitcoin Meetup you've ever been to...   I know for sure that ALL the key players WILL be here.   Flying here from Africa, Europe, China, Japan, Central and South America, Australia, etc.

No matter the exact number of attendees....   The measure of its success will NOT be measured in number of attendees....

It will be measured in the QUALITY of the MINDS present... and the QUALITY of the CONVERSATIONS that will ensue.... and continue....24 hours a day for all those days...

And the personal ( and thus business ) CONNECTIONS that will be made.

OMG.   I am so excited!!!

Someone buy me a drink!

The conversations that will happen around the bar at the Roosevelt,  and at Hudson Eatery ( a classy nightlife celebrity hangout too, btw )...  It's gonna be sooooo amazing!

And the ANNOUNCEMENTS that are going to happen on Saturday.....   The Bitcoin World will be a-buzz.....

We decided for sure last night.  OnlyOneTV will be making a HUGE HUGE HUGE announcement at the Conference.   One you're all gonna be VERY excited about... when you hear it.  I can't say now.  It's a surprise.   But I will say it during my opening speech on Saturday morning.   :-)

Actually, we'll be announcing another super exciting thing at the Conference too.   I'm not really sure which one more people will be excited about.   Probably Both.   Both of these things will change the Bitcoin world immediately!

Oh, and those are only my OWN announcements...  I'm also privy to some major announcements to be made at the Conference by major vendors also.   They're gonna Rock your World too!!

Only Love,

Bruce Wagner
http://OnlyOneTV.com
skype name: punlman
voice/text: +1 646-580-0022

Anonymous

August 14, 2011, 01:11:47 PM

Will you have printed material or something similar being distributed that it is possible to purchase advertising in?
yossarian

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 01:34:29 PM

Will there be a live videostream at the conference? Or at least some recordings? Are you gonna have a twitter hashtag? I'd really like to follow the event as closely as possible, even if I can't be there in person.

I'm always buying and selling BTC, PM me for details. Rating and GPG-key: http://is.gd/yossarian

Buy and sell BTC via SEPA: https://www.bitcoin.de/r/nrnxg6

Bitmessage: BM-2DAoXPtLdQEnR2iSneCTjpgRPtzXsSAi1m
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 10:22:17 PM

Will there be a live videostream at the conference? Or at least some recordings? Are you gonna have a twitter hashtag? I'd really like to follow the event as closely as possible, even if I can't be there in person.
I'd l like to know this too!
+1!  Smiley

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:53:19 PM

This is a must. The conference NEEDS to be broadcast live on the net.

Getting a mainstream TV station to show it live would be nice, but unlikely.

YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 10:58:59 PM

Bruce.....This needs to appear when you search google news!

Find a small news corp(Tribble statire even!) to get this in before the conference, It'll go all the better for having this.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:00:39 PM

Will there be a live videostream at the conference?

+1

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
jack102938

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:23:39 PM

Bruce.....This needs to appear when you search google news!

Find a small news corp(Tribble statire even!) to get this in before the conference, It'll go all the better for having this.

+1
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 11:31:12 PM

Bruce thank you for the update. My lady and I will be attending (but have not registered yet) and I can't wait to meet everyone and further solidify the vanguard of the Bitcoin revolution. Woot woot!
Intervex Digital

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 08:17:08 AM

I'd l like to know this too!
+1!  Smiley

We have been in discussions with Bruce and although we can't be there personally, we will be providing a mobile web app for the conference (iOS and Android compatible) that will allow those unable to attend the ability to get key info and video (not live at this point.)  For those attending it will also have the full current schedule of events that will be updated as things change. In addition, it will have a vendor directory, speaker list, and twitter feed. (I recommend we use #BitCon hashtag)

We plan on keeping the app live indefinitely after the event so those who are completely unavailable during the event can catch up on it after the fact.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 12:26:30 PM

We have been in discussions with Bruce and although we can't be there personally, we will be providing a mobile web app for the conference (iOS and Android compatible) that will allow those unable to attend the ability to get key info and video (not live at this point.)  For those attending it will also have the full current schedule of events that will be updated as things change. In addition, it will have a vendor directory, speaker list, and twitter feed. (I recommend we use #BitCon hashtag)

We plan on keeping the app live indefinitely after the event so those who are completely unavailable during the event can catch up on it after the fact.

When can I download this,  and what should I search for in the app store?

Intervex Digital

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2011, 01:49:42 PM

When can I download this,  and what should I search for in the app store?

Due to time constraints, I don't think a native app will be approved in time for the event this year (We only conceived the idea for the app Saturday), so we are providing it in a web app format.  We will post the URL here this afternoon.

After this event, I will start a new thread to discuss possible features for a native app for next year's event, perhaps with next year's we can get live streams.
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:12:34 PM

I live in NYC.  I have purchased BTC.  I have websites that accept BTC.  However, I won't be attending the conference considering the admission fee.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:14:29 PM

I live in NYC.  I have purchased BTC.  I have websites that accept BTC.  However, I won't be attending the conference considering the admission fee.

I'm paying for flight and hotel to attend this. And you won't even attend b/c $26 is too much?

Anonymous

August 15, 2011, 04:15:21 PM

The admission fee is pretty goon considering it's a conference. I do wish Bruce would reply to e-mail or something.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: