Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:08:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][X11] X11/Darkcoin Gpu Miner - updated to use leaked binaries - even faster  (Read 102422 times)
tsumeone

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 08:29:45 PM

You guys sure this miner doesn't submit fake shares to offset the increase in hash-rate?

Because I have no idea how it mines 40-50% faster while using 10% more electricty.

this alone make it smell like a big scam, 50% more hash, but 10% more consumption? nah i'm not sold on this

you guys should watch your profit, maybe fake shares are submitted

My profits are up and my pool is reporting the same hash rate as the miner.  I don't think it's a scam, just a developer who doesn't mind breaking the GPL.

ccMiner increased X11 hash rate at least 100% by now and power consumption is maybe 20% higher at most.  You can get an increase in hash rate without the same increase in power usage by optimizing the code.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 08:38:09 PM

If you run this on a dedicated rig used solely for mining and nothing else, is there anyway a virus can get onto your home router and try to get data from a home computer?

Or would a firewall have protection from that?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 08:44:05 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2014, 09:09:45 PM by Amph

If you run this on a dedicated rig used solely for mining and nothing else, is there anyway a virus can get onto your home router and try to get data from a home computer?

if there is a rootkit in this miner he can control your computer, via remote control
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 08:56:12 PM

if the there is a rootkit in this miner he can control your computer, via remote control

I mean the computer that is mining currently, all it does is mine. I never use it for anything else. It just uses wifi to connect to the home router.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
NRD

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:01:55 PM

I still can't believe people are using this . . . Be very careful with this pre-compiled software, with no source code being available, there could be a lot of nasties included in it.

I think people r testing it on some standalone rigs... i mean where they don't have any documents, wallets or sensible data...
Sure otherwise it'd be a risk...

That's my point, I doubt half the users here understand the potential risk they're taking. All they see is "40% faster" and their eyes light up with dollar signs. While it could be completely harmless, it could also have any number of ways of owning your system injected into it. Look at the methods employed by this "dev", first he breaks the GPL license, then he demands 2% of your mining time. I wouldn't trust someone with a closed source binary that behaves in such a manner, and I don't think the majority of users should either unless they know enough to be running it in a safe environment. At the very least make sure there are no wallets stored on the machine you are using it on.  I see people posting issues with simple config problems, I would wager that the vast majority of these people don't understand the difference between closed source and open source, let alone what it means to trust someone enough to run their privately compiled binary on your system. No offense meant to anyone with config issues, but there are a lot of new users in the crypto world. Best to hold off on this "too good to be true" miner until the source has been released and vetted by trusted members of the community.

I fear my words will just fall upon deaf ears though, I probably should have made the text red with size 100 font . . . oh well. If they're smart enough to read it, just maybe they'll heed it.
Hilux74
Legendary

Activity: 912
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:05:59 PM

You guys sure this miner doesn't submit fake shares to offset the increase in hash-rate?

Because I have no idea how it mines 40-50% faster while using 10% more electricty.

this alone make it smell like a big scam, 50% more hash, but 10% more consumption? nah i'm not sold on this

Could be real.  For a similar example, for Quark algo I get almost 100% faster hashing on 6xxx series cards with Smelter than SPHminer.
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:08:19 PM

if the there is a rootkit in this miner he can control your computer, via remote control

I mean the computer that is mining currently, all it does is mine. I never use it for anything else. It just uses wifi to connect to the home router.

If you are running some code on a mining rig, computer or whatever, an attacker could potentially use this as a vector to attack the rest of your network. Especially since most people trust everything else that is on their home network/wifi. So, running untrusted binaries is asking for trouble. That said, I have run this miner and I have not seen anything suspicious so far.

For extra security, you could put it on it's own subnet without access to the rest of your network. That could reduce the risk of attacking your network, but an attacker could use your mining computer for sending spam, attacking others or whatever they like. I mean, with the install of $RANDOM_BINARY you could end up with anything...
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:12:34 PM

Code refactoring can work wonders.  There is plenty of room to optimize AMD code to produce more hash at the same wattage.

Optimized Nvidia code is producing 2+ mhs @ 30w on a 750 Ti and 5.5mhs+ on 780 Tis @ ~250w.

AMD code is so unoptimized for x11 it's nearly criminal.  
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:22:26 PM

Could be real.  For a similar example, for Quark algo I get almost 100% faster hashing on 6xxx series cards with Smelter than SPHminer.

As spoetnik said, it's easy to fake shares...it happened with quark and it'll happen with x11 too.
Heck, look at myriad, it had tons of problems with fake shares at the pools.
tomewok

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:31:54 PM

As spoetnik said, it's easy to fake shares...it happened with quark and it'll happen with x11 too.
Heck, look at myriad, it had tons of problems with fake shares at the pools.

Fake shares would result in a high rate of reject on the poolside ?         
Cause i don't see any abnormal rate of reject on my pool stats..
big_coins

Activity: 175

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:40:55 PM

anyone else notice when using backup pools it defaults to load balance not failover and there is no way to set it to failover that i cam see
Pencha

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:01:59 PM

PC zero enter. Done.

big_coins

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:02:41 PM

ok confirmed the pool is messed with. it has been hard coded to assign a quota of 98% to any pool you add leaving the 2% for the hidden pool.

this means if you add a backup pool it will split your hash to it, only way to fix is to manually disable backup pools then you get full hash to your default pool.

if you press P to manually change pool strategy you will se there are 2 balance options and no failover
big_coins

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:08:31 PM

ok confirmed the pool is messed with. it has been hard coded to assign a quota of 98% to any pool you add leaving the 2% for the hidden pool.

this means if you add a backup pool it will split your hash to it, only way to fix is to manually disable backup pools then you get full hash to your default pool.

if you press P to manually change pool strategy you will se there are 2 balance options and no failover

awesome thanks. anyway to automate this with cgwatcher .

i can confirm the hash is real as well, ive rented out a rig and the chaos pool is tallying up.
italeffect

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:15:04 PM

It's still there, just not listed. Just type a zero when presented with the list of options.

As said above from the main screen press:  p then c then 0

You'll be in failover mode with your pool as the main.

Dash: Xdopotr3eAHpsSCMkUyU2YWP3WQWb5X3t8
big_coins

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:22:01 PM

It's still there, just not listed. Just type a zero when presented with the list of options.

As said above from the main screen press:  p then c then 0

You'll be in failover mode with your pool as the main.

thanks got it.

something screwed up though still, it doesnt put the pool priority from the order in the bat file, it mixes them up. probably deliberatly. need to find a way to make cgwatcher force the failover and then correct the order somehow.
quovadiz

Activity: 253

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:32:45 PM

Here my first test.
I tried to do it as accurate as i could considering not the shown hashrate but the block solved.

2 rigs with exactly the same config (4x7950)
They were both mining in solo on the same wallet on a low diff coin (one block solved every 2.5 mins approx).

Results after apporx 8 hours of mining:

Rig1 (sph-sgminer)
Blocks solved: 92
Power consumption 450w
Hashrate displayed: 7.2Mh/s

Rig2 (x11-sgminer - donation disabled)
Blocks solved: 103 (+12%)
Power consumption: 480w (+6.7%)
Hashrate displayed: 9.9MH/s (+37.5%)

Going now to do the same test in pool configuration: 2 same rigs, same coin, same pool with prop payout, 2 different accounts to compare earnings.
I'll let you know after approx 8 hours of mining.

Hi guys,
I'm here again with my second test.
I tried to do it as accurate as i could considering not the shown hashrate but the pool earnings.

- 2 rigs with exactly the same config (4x7950) (both the rigs were mining @7.2MH/s before to install x11-sgimner on one of them)
- running at the same time on the same pool (prop pay)
- with 2 different accounts
- mining a very low diff coin (one block solved every 2.5 mins approx, hashrate approx 1/5 of the total nethasrate).

Results after apporx 14 hours of mining:

Rig1 (sph-sgminer)
Earnings: 1753452 coins
Power consumption 450w
Hashrate displayed: 7.2Mh/s

Rig2 (x11-sgminer - donation disabled)
Earnings: 2369079 coins (+35.1%)
Power consumption: 480w (+6.7%)
Hashrate displayed: 9.9MH/s (+37.5%)

Seems there are no doubts... the real hashrate is not so high as shown in sgminer but shares and earnings are really higher than running standard sph-sgminer.
bbr

Activity: 290

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:44:43 PM

I think I have found a way to disable the built in pool in CGWatcher:

1. Go to the Pools tab
2. In the "show pools" dropdown select the pool 0 - stratum+tcp://drkp2pool.girino.org:7903
3. Click on the disable button at the bottom

In the miner window it still says "Connected to multipool pools with block change notify" but in the pool information it states it is disabled

Note: I have only been running for 15 mins and it hasn't switched to pool 0 yet
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:14:45 PM

Hey guys, now I know you guys don't want to run any random executables, however I have binary patched sgminer so it allows you to remove girino's pool

Link https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxs1fwxiu7l0aua/sgminera.exe

You can do a binary comparison and see I've only edited a few bytes(should be 4), there is no way I could've slipped anything malicious.

Why couldn't you remove his pool? Simple, he changed this code

Code:
		if (selected < 0 || selected >= total_pools) {
wlogprint("Invalid selection\n");
goto retry;
}

to

Code:
		if (selected == 0 || selected >= total_pools) {
goto retry;
}

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
bbr

Activity: 290

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:39:10 PM

Hey guys, now I know you guys don't want to run any random executables, however I have binary patched sgminer so it allows you to remove girino's pool

Link https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxs1fwxiu7l0aua/sgminera.exe

You can do a binary comparison and see I've only edited a few bytes(should be 4), there is no way I could've slipped anything malicious.

Why couldn't you remove his pool? Simple, he changed this code

Code:
		if (selected < 0 || selected >= total_pools) {
goto retry;
}

to

Code:
		if (selected == 0 || selected >= total_pools) {
goto retry;
}

Still showing in the pool list but it says it is dead - is that correct or should it have completely removed it?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: