Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:38:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not to trade with guaranteed profit?  (Read 3297 times)
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 08:34:54 PM

There is always 2 sides on every transaction. If one side is making sure profit, who is going to take the other side of a trade?

What if it is a miner who is selling coins? Or somebody who has incurred winnings on a dice game?

Okay so the former means that the miner loses out on potential profits on a long trade.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 08:53:50 PM

There is always 2 sides on every transaction. If one side is making sure profit, who is going to take the other side of a trade?

What if it is a miner who is selling coins? Or somebody who has incurred winnings on a dice game?

Okay so the former means that the miner loses out on potential profits on a long trade.

Obviously its different contexts.

Trading is a zero-sum game.
Producing a tradeable good or service (including mining coins) isn't.

Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:07:24 AM

The only two guarantees in life are death and taxes.

You cannot truly "guarantee" that you will profit trading anything. This is especially true if you are playing by the rules and not cheating. If you do cheat, you will make money in the short term but will pay the consequences in the long term.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:08:38 AM

i don't agree.  I don't think taxes will be around forever.

Harley997

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:52:33 AM

Taxes will have to be around forever.

If it is not for taxes then there would be no way to pay for things like fire service (fire department), the police, local schools, the interstate system, the military.

Bitcoin will make it much harder to enforce tax laws but the taxes will not ever go away.

PRIMEDICE
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:58:20 AM

If it is not for taxes then there would be no way to pay for things like fire service (fire department), the police, local schools, the interstate system, the military.

Bitcoin will make it much harder to enforce tax laws but the taxes will not ever go away.

I think eventually voluntary fees will replace taxes.  Maybe in 300- 500 years. Just my opinion.

Harley997

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 01:05:18 AM

I think eventually voluntary fees will replace taxes.  Maybe in 300- 500 years. Just my opinion.

Maybe if society changes significantly in that period but society today would never voluntarily pay for things like national defense and consumer protection government agencies. Today the federal government has a program where people can give the government a "gift" and only a few million is sent every year verses a multi trillion dollar annual budget.     

PRIMEDICE
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 01:10:00 AM

Maybe if society changes significantly in that period but society today would never voluntarily pay for things like national defense and consumer protection government agencies. Today the federal government has a program where people can give the government a "gift" and only a few million is sent every year verses a multi trillion dollar annual budget.     

Actually, national defense is one of the few services I would voluntarily pay for.  That would fall under the proper scope and purpose of government, which is to protect individual rights.  I would NOT pay for consumer protection, the IRS, DEA, EPA, INS, SEC, CIA, or any of the other alphabet agencies.

burnettm

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:05:14 PM

Actually, national defense is one of the few services I would voluntarily pay for.

After reading the list of agencies you enumerated, it is pretty clear that you dont understand what national defense is. It is also aparent that you dont understand what the purpose of government is, if you think it is there to protect individual rights. The only function the government serves is to limit individual rights.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:01:01 PM

Actually, national defense is one of the few services I would voluntarily pay for.

After reading the list of agencies you enumerated, it is pretty clear that you dont understand what national defense is. It is also aparent that you dont understand what the purpose of government is, if you think it is there to protect individual rights. The only function the government serves is to limit individual rights.

The purpose of government SHOULD be to protect individual rights.  If you have a different idea, feel free to share it.

burnettm

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:41:31 PM

The purpose of government SHOULD be to protect individual rights.  If you have a different idea, feel free to share it.

You can think whatever what you want, but it doesn't change the fact the any act a government would generally perform inherently violates a individuals rights, especially "national defense".
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:48:56 PM

You can think whatever what you want, but it doesn't change the fact the any act a government would generally perform inherently violates a individuals rights, especially "national defense".

so, then you're an anarchist?

Harley997

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:00:43 AM

Actually, national defense is one of the few services I would voluntarily pay for.  That would fall under the proper scope and purpose of government, which is to protect individual rights.  I would NOT pay for consumer protection, the IRS, DEA, EPA, INS, SEC, CIA, or any of the other alphabet agencies.

What would you do when you get scammed? Without the courts (paid for by taxes) nor any consumer protections agencies you would have little to no recourse.

As far as national defense is concerned, this will likely not be paid for on a voluntarily basis. The tragedy of the commons would prevent this.

PRIMEDICE
burnettm

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 08:57:14 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2014, 09:10:14 AM by burnettm

Without the courts (paid for by taxes)
You've never been involved in a civil case have you? The participants in the case pay court (or arbitration) costs, its not some service you get for free paid for with tax dollars. This ignores other costs or accessibility issues.

As far as national defense is concerned, this will likely not be paid for on a voluntarily basis.
Because people cant defend themselves? The worlds most powerful military couldnt conquer a nation of goat herders, in a area smaller than Texas, with a population only 8-9% of the US's and a fraction of the number of arms in private hands.

b-b-but muh roads!
Private companies build them, not the government.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:13:19 PM

I think Courts are also valid.
So are local police protection and army on the national level.

Everything else (alphabet agencies, dept of agriculture , dept of education, etc ) you can get rid of as far as I'm concerned.

burnettm

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

Oh the irony, those are the 3 most often used ways for the government to violate individual rights. But keep on pretending that they are actually there for your protection.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:04:54 PM

Without the courts (paid for by taxes)
You've never been involved in a civil case have you? The participants in the case pay court (or arbitration) costs, its not some service you get for free paid for with tax dollars. This ignores other costs or accessibility issues.

As far as national defense is concerned, this will likely not be paid for on a voluntarily basis.
Because people cant defend themselves? The worlds most powerful military couldnt conquer a nation of goat herders, in a area smaller than Texas, with a population only 8-9% of the US's and a fraction of the number of arms in private hands.

b-b-but muh roads!
Private companies build them, not the government.

Criminal cases are ultimately paid for by tax revenue. You also have "court costs" in civil cases but this will not necessarily pay for all of the costs associated with the case.

If you had someone stalking you and needed to take out a restraining order I doubt you would want to have to wait two weeks to get paid before you can pay the filing fee.

I am not sure what war you are referring to in the most powerful military not being able to conquer a nation of goat herders. I do know that war is much more complicated then that, especially if you are fighting far from where your country is.

Who do you think pays for the roads? For the most part motorists do not pay when they travel on an interstate or a "street" Granted there are some toll roads but they are a minority. The government contracts private companies to pay build roads, and pays them for their services. Hence the government pays for the roads.
burnettm

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:53:50 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2014, 12:07:49 AM by burnettm

Criminal cases are ultimately paid for by tax revenue.
No, and if you were to control your autism you would have realized we were discussing civil matters.

If you had someone stalking you and needed to take out a restraining order
Why would I want to take out a restraining order? They do nothing to protect you, and SCOTUS has set the precedent that police departments are not obligated to enforce them, see Castle Rock v. Gonzales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales). I have a Kel-Tec RFB, FNH FNP-45 Tactical, Level 3A vest and helmet, SAPI plates, etc.

I am not sure what war you are referring to in the most powerful military not being able to conquer a nation of goat herders.
Have you been living under a rock for the past decade?

The government contracts private companies to pay build roads, and pays them for their services. Hence the government pays for the roads.
Your autism is strong. Watch this video and it will explain what the government is doing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGS2tKQhdhY
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 12:43:57 AM

Oh the irony, those are the 3 most often used ways for the government to violate individual rights. But keep on pretending that they are actually there for your protection.

There is a "system" that does without those.  It's called anarchy.  I think they are trying something like that in Somalia.  I heard it's working great.

burnettm

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:40:08 AM

It's called anarchy.  I think they are trying something like that in Somalia.

Anarchy is the form of government in Somilia? Hassan Sheikh Mohamud would disagree with you. Now stay mad that you can't say how the police, military and courts dont inherently violate individual rights.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: