Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:03:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero (XMR) Speculation thread  (Read 50211 times)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 01:22:35 PM

There is already over 9,000 XMR infront of the wall! Bids are building up nice. This is the true trend reversal we are seeing.

Wall is at 0.00384 now, rpietila how high do you think this run-up will go? Fundamentals are looking much better than the run-up to 0.01 and 0.0058..

@ Aminorex, which price do you think is sustainable? Looking at mining and inflation?

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:01:05 PM

Very hard to say.  Cheesy

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:05:43 PM

which price do you think is sustainable? Looking at mining and inflation?

That is entirely a function of how much capital people are willing to flow into the coin. That in turn is a function of both usage and speculation, so in practice at this point almost entirely speculation, though we are beginning to see the first glimmers of usage.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:27:35 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 03:08:23 PM by rpietila

That is entirely a function of how much capital people are willing to flow into the coin. That in turn is a function of both usage and speculation, so in practice at this point almost entirely speculation, though we are beginning to see the first glimmers of usage.

During the last 2 weeks, I have:
- fulfilled the "20 monero pizza" deal when the former Mayor of Rakvere (no previous association with any crypto) drove 30 kilometres to deliver 2 steaming pizzas to Malla;
- paid a part of our chef's salary in XMR;
- paid a part of our waiter's wages in XMR;
- signed a business venture denominated in XMR, paid my share in XMR;
- sold some XMR for BTC, OTC;
- tried to buy some similarly, but was defaulted upon (thanks escrow);
- decided to accept XMR for everything in Malla, in equal terms as BTC.

Not bad for a currency without any usage whatsoever... Wink

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 03:57:30 PM

I just had a lovely meeting with one of the founders of an enterprise who does bitcoin swaps with hedge funds.  Funds often are not interested in the custodial issues of bitcoin.  In other securities, their prime broker would handle such details.  What they are comfortable with is swaps. In order to gain exposure (long or short) to bitcoin, they need a swaps counterparty, and banks won't touch the stuff.  The company is quite a clever niche player, with a lot of growth potential.  If they ever wanted a machine learning / econometric modeling guy with crypto exposure, I'd be tempted.  I will definitely hook them up with fund contacts which are interested in the crypto space.  While most of the principals have plenty of BTC exposure in their PA, the enterprise is delta-neutral, and lives on carry.

He was very interested in Monero.  I hit all the high points, the natural monopoly liquidity provider niche, the enhanced upside relative to BTC, the quality of the development work, the fair launch, the rigorous crypto, the fungibility hedge.  Most other aspects I might emphasize to another audience were mostly redundant.  He got it right away.  He asked about the relation to DRK, Zerocash, which he was aware of, and BCN of which I informed him, and I addressed these to his satisfaction.  He won't take my word for any of this, I am sure:  He will do a thorough work of diligence, and add it to the portfolio of options which are provided to his company's clients, which are mostly funds, family offices, and prop desks.

I think it was a productive meeting, for Monero, because this company is a network nexus in the financial community for things crypto.  The proselytic impact will be highly levered by the social network centrality of the subject.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
eratta

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:02:31 PM

- signed a business venture denominated in XMR, paid my share in XMR;

Colour me curious. Can you elaborate?
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:54:07 PM

I just had a lovely meeting with one of the founders of an enterprise who does bitcoin swaps with hedge funds.  Funds often are not interested in the custodial issues of bitcoin.  In other securities, their prime broker would handle such details.  What they are comfortable with is swaps. In order to gain exposure (long or short) to bitcoin, they need a swaps counterparty, and banks won't touch the stuff.  The company is quite a clever niche player, with a lot of growth potential.  If they ever wanted a machine learning / econometric modeling guy with crypto exposure, I'd be tempted.  I will definitely hook them up with fund contacts which are interested in the crypto space.  While most of the principals have plenty of BTC exposure in their PA, the enterprise is delta-neutral, and lives on carry.

He was very interested in Monero.  I hit all the high points, the natural monopoly liquidity provider niche, the enhanced upside relative to BTC, the quality of the development work, the fair launch, the rigorous crypto, the fungibility hedge.  Most other aspects I might emphasize to another audience were mostly redundant.  He got it right away.  He asked about the relation to DRK, Zerocash, which he was aware of, and BCN of which I informed him, and I addressed these to his satisfaction.  He won't take my word for any of this, I am sure:  He will do a thorough work of diligence, and add it to the portfolio of options which are provided to his company's clients, which are mostly funds, family offices, and prop desks.

I think it was a productive meeting, for Monero, because this company is a network nexus in the financial community for things crypto.  The proselytic impact will be highly levered by the social network centrality of the subject.

Doing work!  I like it.
camu6

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 06:34:25 AM

The Core Team is looking for Monero elevator speeches.

Instantly thought of you.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2e4w03/moneros_elevators_speech/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 12:08:25 PM

soo....we continue ?  Roll Eyes Grin

risto was right, 394 was yesterdays peak, we did not manage to climb higher. Retreat to about 350/345 now with a lot of support at 350.
anyway, a lot of action also happening outside xmr markets, maybe this will keep bigger players distracted for some time.

the walls are still playing and moving as soon it gets serious

There was a big ask wall also @ 0.0036 if I recall correctly, which is completely bought up now. So we can resume the uptrend  Grin

i think part of it was eaten (4k by risto as he said). after that, the wall was removed.  Roll Eyes

Looking at the 1 minute chart, there was 1 buy of 9632 monero @ 02:01 and 1 buy of 5000 monero @ 08:53 (both @ 0.0036). You can look it up yourself. I am in timezone GMT +1 (Amsterdam), so you have to adjust for you own timezone.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
erks221

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:06:50 PM

I would like to buy some Monero coins, but have not any idea how to do it. Did some googling, but didn't find any good help. If anyone could help! Thanks for any help!
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 01:07:29 PM

soo....we continue ?  Roll Eyes Grin

risto was right, 394 was yesterdays peak, we did not manage to climb higher. Retreat to about 350/345 now with a lot of support at 350.
anyway, a lot of action also happening outside xmr markets, maybe this will keep bigger players distracted for some time.

the walls are still playing and moving as soon it gets serious

There was a big ask wall also @ 0.0036 if I recall correctly, which is completely bought up now. So we can resume the uptrend  Grin

i think part of it was eaten (4k by risto as he said). after that, the wall was removed.  Roll Eyes

Looking at the 1 minute chart, there was 1 buy of 9632 monero @ 02:01 and 1 buy of 5000 monero @ 08:53 (both @ 0.0036). You can look it up yourself. I am in timezone GMT +1 (Amsterdam), so you have to adjust for you own timezone.

Yep, i saw those. Someone is buying large..
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 01:08:24 PM

I would like to buy some Monero coins, but have not any idea how to do it. Did some googling, but didn't find any good help. If anyone could help! Thanks for any help!

Poloniex.com has the biggest volume. There are other exchanges on the OP of monero main thread.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:17:05 PM

Like GreekBitcoin said, you can find the exchanges in the OP of the monero thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0

Personally I find poloniex the best option, but there are also other exchanges. If you are going to buy large quantities it would be wise to choose an exchange with much volume. Volumes can be seen here http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/volume/24-hour/#xmr , scroll down if it doesn't go automaticaly to monero. As you can see poloniex has the greatest liquidity at the moment.

trader001

Activity: 166

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:25:15 PM

Seem like cloak coin is competiting with XMR on anon feature.

Do both use the same method and technology?
erks221

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:26:39 PM

Poloniex.com has the biggest volume. There are other exchanges on the OP of monero main thread.

Thank you! But how can I make Monero wallet?
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 01:30:50 PM

Thank you! But how can I make Monero wallet?

Try this http://monero.cc/getting-started/ and if something doesnt work then ask about the errors you get if you get any. But please this is a Speculation Thread. Ask here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=652305.60  or try IRC  #monero  Wink
Ryota

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:41:19 PM

I am interested to invest in Monero for the long term but I have many concerns.

- I use a virtual machine and I can't install monero on XP (32 bit), all platforms should be supported.

- When BTC is rising, LTC/BTC goes up but not monero, so we loose money, it seems difficult to grow without btc-e and bigger exchanges.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:42:41 PM

Seem like cloak coin is competiting with XMR on anon feature.

Do both use the same method and technology?

No they use different methods/technology. Maybe some one here can elaborate this better? I am not up to speed what's happening with cloak..

JohnD

Activity: 124

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 01:44:06 PM

- I use a virtual machine and I can't install monero on XP (32 bit), all platforms should be supported.

- When BTC is rising, LTC/BTC goes up but not monero, so we loose money, it seems difficult to grow without btc-e and bigger exchanges.

Why should anybody support a platform that is outdated like XP?
Should we support Amiga and Atari too?
Ryota

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 01:50:21 PM

Why should anybody support a platform that is outdated like XP?
Should we support Amiga and Atari too?

Is Monero a cryptocurrency for geeks only?

Don't forget the people that don't use the latest hardware.. They are numerous...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: