Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 01:32:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Think Bitstamp is Insolvent? Possible BTC Price Drop Incoming?  (Read 6129 times)
kerafym

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 09:17:42 PM

Most likely their hotwallet are empty.

S P 8 D E        ♠       THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.       ♠         READ WHITEPAPER       
    TOKENS        A DECENTRALIZED PLATFORM FOR GAMING DAPPS        ROADMAP   
ANN THREAD       FACEBOOK       TWITTER       TELEGRAM       YOUTUBE       MEDIUM       REDDIT
MyPotPlantDied

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 09:37:59 PM

I believe they just went through a very thorough audit not too long ago. I think it is more a case of them being paranoid about following all the regulations.
r34tr783tr78

Activity: 481
Merit: 268

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:27:48 AM

As stated, long after they started this excessive KYC practice (how can someone clean money by withdrawing bitcoin? Cleaning money implies exchanging it for fiat and transfering this money to a bank account), they did an audit.
Until the day you see them delaying withdraws, after people sent all requested documents, I think you can forget about Bitstamp insolvency.

davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:38:57 AM

Found this today, seems although Bitstamp is making it EXTREMELY difficulty to withdraw both BTC and Fiat currency. Seems like a Mt. Gox 2.0 problem. If they end up being insolvent do you guys think BTC price will increase (due to realized less supply of coins) or go down due to bad media coverage plus people trying to recoup some of their losses?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/26apno/bitstamp_will_not_process_withdrawal_unless_you/

We kindly ask you to send us a high resolution image of both pages of your international passport and answer the following KYC questionnaire: 1. How did you learn about Bitcoin? 2. The purpose of trading on Bitstamp? Please describe in as much detail as possible how you intend to use your trading account. 3. What is the origin of the deposited Bitcoins? If mining, please specify your hardware specifications and submit a receipt or an invoice for your mining equipment. 4. What are your future plans and activities planned on our exchange? 5. Do you plan more withdrawals in the future? 6. Which bank do you intend to use? Please provide the complete address and SWIFT code. 7. Estimated amount that you would be depositing/withdrawing to/from your Bitstamp account per month (in USD and BTC)?

We kindly ask you to submit your answers and documents in a reply to this ticket.

OK fine, here are the details and my passport (already verified with driver's license and had swift code already entered).

They required that I prove where the coins came from that I sold. I provided the receipt from the exchange. Here is what they came back with.

Thank you for your reply.

Please note that the provided information is for only 5 BTC while you have deposited to and sold on Bitstamp more than xxx bitcoins.

We kindly ask you to send us a signed message of your personal, most used wallet so we can establish the veracity of your statements.

some people may bring about their recent "proof of solvency" of Bitstamp by firestartr.co (whoever the hell that is). It is just a statement though, no blockchain proof. And the PDF is even broken on my PC

https://www.bitstamp.net/s/documents/Firestartr_DD_Letter_for_Bitstamp.pdf

If they are insolvent, the price would go down first (as we've seen with Gox) and then would go back up after. I will say that it would hurt the morale more than it already has, though, in that people are starting to lose trust already.

Is this only for BTC sellers? The letter seems specifically directed at sellers rather than buyers. Have any buyers received a similar letter?

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
Nicolas Dorier

Activity: 714
Merit: 661

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:35:55 AM

While you might consider it anal, the plain and simple fact is that should Bitcoin ever gain true mainstream traction, you will see more of this simply due to the fact that no financial system of any sort is going to go mainstream without meeting some level of regulatory standards. All of this is information that is the same type of information that is 'free-floating' in the mainstream financial system, you simply aren't regularly asked questions like this because the banks already have a system in place that creates the obligatory paper trail and have for years. It's so interwoven into the fabric of international banking we don't even notice it anymore. Bitcoin will need to step up to this level to become truly 'mainstream'.

This is true for financial institution today, but with bitcoin, the barrier of entry to create an exchange is not anymore between the hands of governments.
Which means that if customer don't like it, they will search a substitute and accept the risk, and find a substitute.

Today financial institution complies because the government also ensure some barrier of entry in their market. This won't be the case with bitcoin.

Bitcoin address 15sYbVpRh6dyWycZMwPdxJWD4xbfxReeHe
kroy101

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:03:02 AM

I withdrawed ~$1500 yesterday and the payments has already been processed....

no questions asked, no hassle, no problems, no nothing
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:18:01 PM

I withdrawed ~$1500 yesterday and the payments has already been processed....

no questions asked, no hassle, no problems, no nothing

I've never had any problem with them buying or withdrawing BTC.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
Corelianer

Activity: 309

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:33:24 PM

These questions are normal. You can also run into this questions if you deposit a higher ammount of fiat on it.

I got the same, once it was complete, it just went back to normal processing.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:38:45 PM

i don't care much, i'm using kraken , which is the best i think
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:31:25 PM

While you might consider it anal, the plain and simple fact is that should Bitcoin ever gain true mainstream traction, you will see more of this simply due to the fact that no financial system of any sort is going to go mainstream without meeting some level of regulatory standards. All of this is information that is the same type of information that is 'free-floating' in the mainstream financial system, you simply aren't regularly asked questions like this because the banks already have a system in place that creates the obligatory paper trail and have for years. It's so interwoven into the fabric of international banking we don't even notice it anymore. Bitcoin will need to step up to this level to become truly 'mainstream'.

This is true for financial institution today, but with bitcoin, the barrier of entry to create an exchange is not anymore between the hands of governments.
Which means that if customer don't like it, they will search a substitute and accept the risk, and find a substitute.

Today financial institution complies because the government also ensure some barrier of entry in their market. This won't be the case with bitcoin.

While you're right in that it's decentralized and not part of any specific government, that doesn't mean that there's no government control. As we've seen in the past, the governments can actually exert a lot of control over exchanges. So this isn't really true.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:46:48 PM

Here are some real threats to bitcoin.. and bitstamp is not one them..

"Any new and disruptive technology has its share of detractors who do their utmost to imbue the perceived threat with negative connotations. This has been happening for eons, and will continue until the end of time."

http://www.coindesk.com/five-biggest-threats-facing-bitcoin/
Marbit

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:54:39 PM

I'd say Bitstamp going down (insolvency, government shut-down, etc) would be pretty bad for the price of bitcoin, short term (months or maybe a year). A lot of services use them, and they are the most well known exchange. But it would not kill BTC by any means.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:56:24 PM

I'd say Bitstamp going down (insolvency, government shut-down, etc) would be pretty bad for the price of bitcoin, short term (months or maybe a year). A lot of services use them, and they are the most well known exchange. But it would not kill BTC by any means.

It would cause a loss of trust in other exchanges, though. We are already hitting that point as it is, with all the scams and "hacks" going around. One more major one like this could be detrimental to the morale.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:01:18 AM

It would cause a loss of trust in other exchanges, though. We are already hitting that point as it is, with all the scams and "hacks" going around. One more major one like this could be detrimental to the morale.

Sure, that's why I think months or maybe a year. Inevitably as more trustworthy and regulated businesses/exchanges come about, people's level of comfort will improve as well.
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:05:58 AM

it seems to me that it is more likely that bitstamp is being pressured by the US government or other authorities as a result of the Silk Road case and other black market/money laundering issues. i don't see enough evidence that they are insolvent.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:12:34 AM

Sure, that's why I think months or maybe a year. Inevitably as more trustworthy and regulated businesses/exchanges come about, people's level of comfort will improve as well.

We keep hoping that more trustworthy businesses will come about, but what have we been historically seeing? Most businesses end up tanking due to the owners getting that "I'm rich now and I can run away" feeling. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

This would also help push regulators into a worse frenzy, where they can use it as yet another example as to why people should avoid cryptos like the plague.

Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:19:03 AM

We keep hoping that more trustworthy businesses will come about, but what have we been historically seeing? Most businesses end up tanking due to the owners getting that "I'm rich now and I can run away" feeling. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

This would also help push regulators into a worse frenzy, where they can use it as yet another example as to why people should avoid cryptos like the plague.

do you think that will happen with coinbase? or secondmarket? i feel like those are more well-regulated, open and respectable. if we see a professional exchange out of new york or something and it's back by a lot of money, perhaps backed by a big name, licensed to the teeth, and with a professional interface, it could be pretty big news for bitcoiners.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:24:21 AM

do you think that will happen with coinbase? or secondmarket? i feel like those are more well-regulated, open and respectable. if we see a professional exchange out of new york or something and it's back by a lot of money, perhaps backed by a big name, licensed to the teeth, and with a professional interface, it could be pretty big news for bitcoiners.

It's really hard to say. People already hate Coinbase because of their false flagging accounts as being "high risk" and things like that. Not to mention it can take 24+ hours to get a Bitcoin payment out of their wallet. Circle, should they prove to be legitimate, may change this, but people are even wary of them due to what we've had to deal with in the past.

Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:45:50 AM

ahh that's right -- circle. i do hope that goes well and that they are able to have a product that at least competes with coinbase to help form a stronger and more competitive market. it's true though, the exchange situation is frankly scary.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:24:44 AM

ahh that's right -- circle. i do hope that goes well and that they are able to have a product that at least competes with coinbase to help form a stronger and more competitive market. it's true though, the exchange situation is frankly scary.

I do have my doubts about Circle as well. I'm really hoping they pull through with their promises, but to be completely honest... if they do I'll be surprised. If, and it's a big if, that happens, I think it could completely change the game when it comes to exchanges and buying/selling coins.

Then the next step will be changing the way the real exchanges (for coin<->coin transfers) work.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: