Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:53:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 05:26:56 PM

I like your attitude towards unnecessary alts. The focus is now on bitcoin 2.0 tech.

Some time has been spent gathering intel on the cryptonote coins and technology. All links are of relevance and importance. Please visit this post, it may prove resourceful= https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=625660.0

It's not just an attitude, he watches the markets:

Since May 1, 2014

DRK.....+550%
XCP..... +53%
NXT..... +42%
ANC..... +36%

MRO, QCN, XC, etc... to the Moon.

BTC......+26%

---------------

MYR...... -48%
FTC...... -40%
DOGE.... -36%
QRK...... -28%
LTC...... -20%
PPC...... -12%
VTC...... -12%
NMC....... -8%

Anyone see a pattern here?

Anon, Crypto Asset Platforms, and BTC sucking up all the oxygen...
While legacy alts may already be in a Death Spiral to zero...
Of the 2013 crop only ANC is up in May.

ha ha i like that your Tag is "Zerosum"

DRK.....+550%
XCP..... +53%
NXT..... +42%
ANC..... +36%

^^^

this list is a who's who of mining and IPO manipulation - long term its a Zero sum game.

its hilarious to see idiots pushing this type of thing but, what is more funny is seeing how much everyone has recognized exactly what is going on, its so much harder to pull a really good scam in 2014 you always have someone coming along and outing you...

I have a dare for any of the above let mining monopoly go, and manipulation lets see what the market does ?

see how Doge knows that ASICs are coming - woops can't let the market in on that circle jerk - DRK is a hilarious situation and IPOs ha ha DOA.

it all bodes interesting times for crypto , 2.0 is the desperate attempts of a pathetic VC and Banking system to try to stay relevant.  VC because of crowd-funding and Banking, well because its an 18th century scam.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:36:40 PM

Monero, my man, why are you tanking?  Angry

Monero money abandoned ship and went to X11coin & Quazarcoin.

The x11coin dev is moving at a pace ten times faster than Duffield is with Darkcoin on anonymous transactions.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 06:23:22 PM

Monero, my man, why are you tanking?  Angry

Great price for people looking to enter the market, or to load up on more.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 06:46:28 PM

QCN emits half the rate of MRO.  Expect the market to balance at 2:1 pricing until feature set leadership is clear.   Mining QCN is somewhat more profitable now.  I mine QCN and convert to MRO, personally.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
bitcoinwonders010

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:08:02 PM

awesome
Ezravdb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 506

Trphy.io

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:22:41 PM

The government already denied all crypto to be no currency, so that argument is invalid.

░▒░░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓███▓░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
 ▓███▓                     
  ████░                     
  ▒████                     
   ░███▓                   
     ▓██▓                   
       ███░                 
         ▓█▓░               
           ▓█▒  ██         
           ▓█   ██▒         
        ░███░ ▒  ▓██▓       
        ▓█▒▓█▓█▓▓█▒▓█       
|
|

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:14:30 PM

The government already denied all crypto to be no currency, so that argument is invalid.

Bear in mind that not everyone lives under the same government. 

In the US, cryptocurrencies are "commodities" which makes tax issues a bit difficult.

If you're going to try to use it like currency in the US (pay for pizza, etc), you need wallet software that keeps track of your capital gains/capital losses as you go, so you can file accurate taxes.  As far as I know, nobody has set to work on developing it - so there's some development that bitcoin (or any alt that's for american use, really) could benefit from.

In Germany and many EU states, cryptocurrencies are considered "privately issued currencies" and subject to private exchange rules and laws. 

In Japan, they are considered to be "Foreign currencies" and subject to forex rules.

In China, banks and currency dealers are forbidden from handling them but individuals are not; otherwise, individuals are responsible for conforming to currency control laws whose interpretation varies from day to day and official to official (and, at least according to some, depending on the size of the bribe paid to that official).

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:28:48 PM

The x11coin dev is moving at a pace ten times faster than Duffield is with Darkcoin on anonymous transactions.

Any info/links on these new upcoming X11 coins? Names? Thx in advance.

I do think the 2.0 (programmable) coins/networks like Ether are going to bring something a bit difficult to comprehend. Not sure about
them as an investment, but I imagine the one that succeeds will do well. The event horizon is just so hard to see past...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:56:52 PM

I like your attitude towards unnecessary alts. The focus is now on bitcoin 2.0 tech.

Some time has been spent gathering intel on the cryptonote coins and technology. All links are of relevance and importance. Please visit this post, it may prove resourceful= https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=625660.0

Since May 1, 2014

DRK.....+550%
XCP..... +53%
NXT..... +42%
ANC..... +36%

BTC......+26%

---------------

MYR...... -48%
FTC...... -40%
DOGE.... -36%
QRK...... -28%
LTC...... -20%
PPC...... -12%
VTC...... -12%
NMC....... -8%

DRK.....+550%
XCP..... +53%
NXT..... +42%
ANC..... +36%

^^^

this list is a who's who of mining and IPO manipulation - long term its a Zero sum game.

its hilarious to see idiots pushing this type of thing but, what is more funny is seeing how much everyone has recognized exactly what is going on, its so much harder to pull a really good scam in 2014 you always have someone coming along and outing you...

I have a dare for any of the above let mining monopoly go, and manipulation lets see what the market does ?

see how Doge knows that ASICs are coming - woops can't let the market in on that circle jerk - DRK is a hilarious situation and IPOs ha ha DOA.

it all bodes interesting times for crypto , 2.0 is the desperate attempts of a pathetic VC and Banking system to try to stay relevant.  VC because of crowd-funding and Banking, well because its an 18th century scam.

I didn't create a "list"...
I manage a psuedo-cap weighted Alt Coin Index with 20 coins...
And only 4 had a positive return in May... while 16 had a negative return.

THE  MARKET  IS  ALWAYS  RIGHT.

From previous posts you show a singular lack of understanding re: markets...
And my condolences that your dear QRK was crushed by these markets, it's not personal.

DON'T  FIGHT  THE  TAPE, friend-o.

"pathetic VC and Banking system to try to stay relevant"

It's BitCoin that is fighting for "relevance"...
*** I cringe *** every time I use that 2009 technology requiring 30-60 min for a transaction...
A quaint public, low velocity commodity for geeks to hoard...
More retail outlets just don't matter when no one will buy a pizza with BTC.

And please remind Grandma...
To set up that Cold Wallet on (a) virgin laptop and (b) new Linux install and (c) disabled Wi-Fi and (d) optional TrueCrypt
At an absolute minimum as the Bitcoin Foundation strongly recommends.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:59:53 PM

Any info/links on these new upcoming X11 coins? Names? Thx in advance.

The first anonymous PoS coin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=600706.0

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:06:07 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2014, 12:18:04 AM by AlexGR

Too much inflation. Classic problem with some altcoins, but it's even worse with MRO (right now).

*** I cringe *** every time I use that 2009 technology requiring 30-60 min for a transaction...

It's like store of value rather than a fast way of transaction. Using altcoins with 2.5m blocks or less is paradise compared to the torture of BTC confirmations. Seems like the telegraph in the age of emails. For individual low-volume transactions 2 confirmations should be adequate - and it's still a long time, especially if variance decides to find a block in 40 minutes.
eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:55:12 AM

Bigger picture: it's up about 4x compared to 10 days ago. Swings are common in altcoins since the liquidity is much lower. An early adopter has to sit through these calmly. This is especially true for CryptoNote currencies because they're young and so their infrastructure is underdeveloped compared to Bitcoin and Bitcoin-based coins.

Too much inflation. Classic problem with some altcoins, but it's even worse with MRO (right now).

This is true (because it's a 1-month-old PoW), but by design it goes down a lot over time. Faster than Bitcoin's.
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 03:32:16 AM

It appears that Litecoin, and probably other altcoins as well, are late to this recent bitcoin rally.

Here is the BitcoinWisdom 3-day resolution chart for the LTC/BTC currency pair. Observe how litecoin has fallen in price relative to bitcoin, especially in the recent nine days.

In the bubble that peaked last November, litecoin was late to the rally but then appreciated more rapidly than bitcoin. A good trade might be to wait until litecoin joins the rally and then switch a portion of the at-risk capital from long bitcoin to long litecoin or your favorite altcoin. At the peak, as you judge it, sell the altcoin, and wait to buy back later for a fraction of the peak price. This is not a trade for me as I have plenty of risk exposure in bitcoin and do not desire any more volatility.

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 03:58:07 AM

It appears that Litecoin, and probably other altcoins as well, are late to this recent bitcoin rally.

Here is the BitcoinWisdom 3-day resolution chart for the LTC/BTC currency pair. Observe how litecoin has fallen in price relative to bitcoin, especially in the recent nine days.

In the bubble that peaked last November, litecoin was late to the rally but then appreciated more rapidly than bitcoin. A good trade might be to wait until litecoin joins the rally and then switch a portion of the at-risk capital from long bitcoin to long litecoin or your favorite altcoin. At the peak, as you judge it, sell the altcoin, and wait to buy back later for a fraction of the peak price. This is not a trade for me as I have plenty of risk exposure in bitcoin and do not desire any more volatility.

I have noticed that too, how Litecoin was late and then itself exploded in value very quickly.

I would however urge caution this time. Litecoin may see competition that was not around last time the bubbles came about.

Litecoin was always billed as the peoples coin, a coin that would not centralize due to ASIC's. That was always the sales pitch. Now the Litecoin ASIC's are making people question that reason. If Litecoin centralizes to the same extent as Bitcoin, is there much reason to have Litecoin? Sure you can argue in Litecoin's favour, but in doing so you have to drop it's main reason for existence. ASIC proof was always the number one sales pitch.

Also we have the rise of the anonymous currencies, they actually have a reason to exist and do something Bitcoin does not do. For example, Monero offers better privacy than bitcoin, there is no question about this, none at all.

And then we have the Generation 2 currencies (I personally think the ring signature currencies are also Gen 2, but people disagree with me about that). We have Nxt and Ethereum that are about to allow for these turing complete contracts. Sure you might not like the idea of turing complete contracts, you might not see a reason for it, but they are going to have a place and again offer something Bitcoin doesn't.

Monero, Nxt, Ethereum all offer actual advantages over Bitcoin. Litecoin in comparison offers no advantage.

I would be careful investing in Litecoin expecting a repeat of last year. I am sure some will get lucky. But remember that circumstances are different now.
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:36:22 AM

Bigger picture: it's up about 4x compared to 10 days ago. Swings are common in altcoins since the liquidity is much lower. An early adopter has to sit through these calmly. This is especially true for CryptoNote currencies because they're young and so their infrastructure is underdeveloped compared to Bitcoin and Bitcoin-based coins.

This is true (because it's a 1-month-old PoW), but by design it goes down a lot over time. Faster than Bitcoin's.

Yep

In a few months we won't be at the price we are now Smiley
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:54:58 AM

The largest future alt will do something Bitcoin can't and have sound technology NOT the best marketing. A leading dev of Bitcoin said this in another thread:

No, not in a meaningful sense. Validation is very cheap. You do run into block size limits if you're trying to transact too much at once, but any privacy system is limited in its privacy by transaction volume.

"Dark Coin" really strikes me as pointless. The whole idea in coinjoin is that coinjoin is already part of the design of Bitcoin. There is no advantage in having a new and different system. If you're going to do something incompatible, losing Bitcoin's network effect in the process, then you can do something much stronger.

It also depresses me somewhat to see people talking about darkcoin (or even zerocoin/zerocash) when bytecoin has a privacy system with much better properties than CoinJoin (it's similar to CJ except you safely join with offline coin holders, and all users are participants), something made possible by the fact that it doesn't have to fit within the existing Bitcoin network, and it's completely practical, reasonably performant and deployed for some time now. But strangely, it's virtually unheard of...  Bytecoin's privacy properties are in some sense weaker than zerocoin's— since its like a supercharged coinjoin— but the cryptography is much stronger and much more efficient, so in practice I'd expect it to have better anonymity just due to it being much more practical (also as evidence to it existing as a deployed system).  ... so yea, if you actually are interested in privacy technology in a non-bitcoin system, Bytecoin seems to have pretty much nailed it.

The Bytecoin uses "CryptoNote". Bytecoin was kind of a dud start because so much premine. Monero was an attempt to relaunch using the same technology.

That is what makes me suspect Monero could be the privacy focused alt and over take darkcoin one day.
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:04:06 AM

Since May 1, 2014

DRK.....+550%
XCP..... +53%
NXT..... +42%
ANC..... +36%

BTC......+26%

---------------

MYR...... -48%
FTC...... -40%
DOGE.... -36%
QRK...... -28%
LTC...... -20%
PPC...... -12%
VTC...... -12%
NMC....... -8%

DRK.....+550%
XCP..... +53%
NXT..... +42%
ANC..... +36%

^^^

it all bodes interesting times for crypto , 2.0 is the desperate attempts of a pathetic VC and Banking system to try to stay relevant.  VC because of crowd-funding and Banking, well because its an 18th century scam.

I didn't create a "list"...
I manage a psuedo-cap weighted Alt Coin Index with 20 coins...
And only 4 had a positive return in May... while 16 had a negative return.

THE  MARKET  IS  ALWAYS  RIGHT.

From previous posts you show a singular lack of understanding re: markets...
And my condolences that your dear QRK was crushed by these markets, it's not personal.

DON'T  FIGHT  THE  TAPE, friend-o.

"pathetic VC and Banking system to try to stay relevant"

More retail outlets just don't matter when no one will buy a pizza with BTC.

And please remind Grandma...
To set up that Cold Wallet on (a) virgin laptop and (b) new Linux install and (c) disabled Wi-Fi and (d) optional TrueCrypt
At an absolute minimum as the Bitcoin Foundation strongly recommends.

Ha - i love  "The Tape"

must feel like Wall St with those few people trading back and forth among themselves only problem sweet princess is that if you can't sucker new people game over.

The Price of Quark i actually love - I'm up, lets see infinity % whats the old saying from days past when there was a market in the "stock" "market"":  Be positive when people are fearful and be fearful when people are positive.

people tend to do the same thing over an over again.

problem with these turds listed mostly above is that people keep outing the scams, or an annoying company like KnC starts selling ASICS to real people ha ha.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:07:27 AM

I basically do this - people cry about Alts but there is masses of opportunity.

i find one of the most least manipulated market other than Quark is LTC. that's just a guess but i think its right.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 05:10:11 AM

i find one of the most least manipulated market other than Quark is LTC. that's just a guess but i think its right.

That's certainly the key to the alternative coin markets (probably Bitcoin too).

Once you operate under the assumption that all the rises and falls are mostly orchestrated, you start to earn instead of lose money.

:p
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:23:42 AM

That's certainly the key to the alternative coin markets (probably Bitcoin too).

Once you operate under the assumption that all the rises and falls are mostly orchestrated, you start to earn instead of lose money.

:p

and its so much easier when you are the one manipulating also -

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: