Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:01:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387452 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 09:30:58 AM

Have you had chance to look at CryptCoin yet ? Another X11 algo coin claiming anon tech. Supposedly releasing their white paper in the coming days. Will have a better opinion once the white paper is out but as of now not much to be said about it although they do claim to be using a setup thats different to DRK's masternode setup.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 09:54:10 AM

Now, that IPO type model (which will also be Etherium I believe) isn't necessarily a scam just because it breaks accepted "rules".

Selling shares of a new tech to the market at whatever price the market will bear, is not scamming. I don't have any evidence that NXT is scamming anyone. I have also sold shares of my companies to the public.

What I don't believe is that these things will become currency. At least my shares have never succeeded on that Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:02:03 AM

Now, that IPO type model (which will also be Etherium I believe) isn't necessarily a scam just because it breaks accepted "rules".

Selling shares of a new tech to the market at whatever price the market will bear, is not scamming. I don't have any evidence that NXT is scamming anyone. I have also sold shares of my companies to the public.

What I don't believe is that these things will become currency. At least my shares have never succeeded on that Smiley

Your last point is something I've really been wondering about and I think I've posted it before. Something to consider - We could probably use IBM stock, etc. like a currency (theoretically) and if you remember, look at some of the older notes before central banks got involved. They were stock issued by companies (or something akin to that). There were a variety of them. Even Bitcoin is considered a property by the IRS (so far).

Anyway, this is an interesting unknown and even though I'm leaning (barely) towards what you are saying, the conundrum is we can't know as we will decide. Hope that made sense.  Grin

People inherently like to barter and trade things. Kids "due" it with their Pokemon cards and such. And it never really stops, though we seem "forced" to use State controlled fiat money.
So, I am very open to the possibility of NXT, Ether, etc. also being used as a money. There are an awful lot of them - perhaps they will replace Doge. LOL
And bigger yet, this is going to further change our understanding of what money is.
Let the disruptions begin...

Its about sharing

edit - Anyone notice this? Negative Interest Rates in EU? http://www.cnbc.com/id/101723127
Oh boy...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:09:06 AM

What I don't believe is that these things will become currency.

Looks like there is no intention for NXT to become a real currency for circulation, but more like an asset backing other currencies running on top of it:

https://nxtforum.org/asset-exchange-general/different-currencies-in-ae/msg35419/#msg35419

which shouldn't hurt its price Smiley
saveawedge

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 10:15:20 AM

It's funny how peercoin isn't mentioned once in this thread.

Peercoin is certainly one to watch out for over the next few months. Development surrounding ppc has been growing at an outstanding rate. The peercoin community is more mature than most, which translates to less cheerleaders, less hype and less noise from the community.

However, with PPC, the community doesn't need to shout to be heard. We know the technology and development will speak for itself. Watch this space.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:30:48 AM

It's funny how peercoin isn't mentioned once in this thread.

Peercoin is certainly one to watch out for over the next few months. Development surrounding ppc has been growing at an outstanding rate. The peercoin community is more mature than most, which translates to less cheerleaders, less hype and less noise from the community.

However, with PPC, the community doesn't need to shout to be heard. We know the technology and development will speak for itself. Watch this space.

I'm not very familiar with Peercoin. Can you give me a rundown regarding what it offers?

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
saveawedge

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 11:45:12 AM

This presentation gives a good introduction to Peercoin: http://imgur.com/a/dG66c
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:30:51 PM

What do you think about the PPC "rich get richer" issue?

Now this concern of mine might be outdated as it was only an issue when you had to leave coin sitting for 30 days before being allowed to stake.

Assuming that restriction is still in place, here is my concern with PPC:

If the currency PPC takes off, only the wealthy in society would earn the 1% per year as they would have the privilege of leaving their coin sitting around for the required amount of time. Less fortunate people that live paycheck to paycheck would never be able to leave coin sitting long enough to be able to stake. Obviously right now there are probably no people that are living paycheck to paycheck in PPC and very few live paycheck to paycheck in BTC.

However, if PPC were to take off without modification to the 30 day rule, it would be a tragedy of the most severe proportion furthering the divide between the rich and the poor.

The 1% would almost certainly only apply to those wealthy enough to leave untouched coin sitting in their wallets.

Until the stake time is brought down to a maximum of 12 hours, PPC can be considered a fraud upon society, lets be thankful it remains a niche crypto-currency.
Flomess

Activity: 705
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:02:31 PM

I'm not really informed about MON but this thread might just be for rpietila to spread some hype on his last investment (given the reputation he has on this forum).
I think it's really hard for anyone to make predictions for the mid-long term  on the altcoin market.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:09:43 PM

I'm not really informed about MON but this thread might just be for rpietila to spread some hype on his last investment (given the reputation he has on this forum).
I think it's really hard for anyone to make predictions for the mid-long term  on the altcoin market.

It's probably impossible to make any predictions. Smiley

I think rpietila invested in Monero on principle, that it was a fair launch, was a different technology to Bitcoin and has an active community.

rpietila is probably not the sort of person to hype alt coins for pumping reasons, the return on his time invested is probably not worth it. He's far better using that time to trade into the next Bitcoin bubble correctly and make an order of magnitude more money than all of Monero is even worth...
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:42:51 PM

Now this concern of mine might be outdated as it was only an issue when you had to leave coin sitting for 30 days before being allowed to stake.

If the currency PPC takes off, only the wealthy in society would earn the 1% per year as they would have the privilege of leaving their coin sitting around for the required amount of time. Less fortunate people that live paycheck to paycheck would never be able to leave coin sitting long enough to be able to stake. Obviously right now there are probably no people that are living paycheck to paycheck in PPC and very few live paycheck to paycheck in BTC.

However, if PPC were to take off without modification to the 30 day rule, it would be a tragedy of the most severe proportion furthering the divide between the rich and the poor.

The 1% would almost certainly only apply to those wealthy enough to leave untouched coin sitting in their wallets.

Until the stake time is brought down to a maximum of 12 hours, PPC can be considered a fraud upon society, lets be thankful it remains a niche crypto-currency.

The same criticism could be applied to any cryptocurrency. You could say that with Bitcoin, the rich get richer because they are the one who can keep coins in the wallets long enough for them to grow in value (much more than the 1%/year POS reward of Peercoin), while those who live paycheck-to-paycheck don't realise profits from the deflatory aspect of their currency.

And anyone that is, at worse, in the lower middle class can have at least a modest saving account, which with PPC would allow him to get as much interests as those richer than them. I find nothing unjust in that concept.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:50:03 PM

The same criticism could be applied to any cryptocurrency. You could say that with Bitcoin, the rich get richer because they are the one who can keep coins in the wallets long enough for them to grow in value (much more than the 1%/year POS reward of Peercoin), while those who live paycheck-to-paycheck don't realise profits from the deflatory aspect of their currency.

And anyone that is, at worse, in the lower middle class can have at least a modest saving account, which with PPC would allow him to get as much interests as those richer than them. I find nothing unjust in that concept.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Bitcoin once it actually becomes deflationary and there are no more mined coins. Something important to note is that if Bitcoin is on average increasing in value all members benefit every moment they hold Bitcoin. With PPC you need to wait 30 days, with Bitcoin you are gaining the second you hold Bitcoin. (assuming both coins have exhausted all PoW minting.)

My criticism was that it takes 30 days to start staking. If PPC made it 12 hours until being allowed to stake then I would have no criticism.

The 30 day wait is unjust.

Bring it down and my criticism of PPC disappears completely.

Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:22:31 PM

I was thinking the other day (a dangerous pastime, I know...) and I think I've come up with a way to address cryptocurrency volatility.

1. The hashing power allocated to producing a block in any proof-of-work altcoin, as a proportion of total hashing power available, is approximately proportional to the market value of the coins awarded for hashing, as a proportion of total cryptocurrency value that can be produced by that hash power.

2.  Because the hash rate is visible in the block chain (via difficulty and timestamps) and the total applicable hashing power changes only fairly gradually, that means the block chain has a fairly strong indication of the current value of the cryptocurrency relative to the basket of other cryptocurrencies that could be mined using the same hashing infrastructure.  That is, if the hashing power is spiking much faster than new hashing power is being manufactured, it means the market value of the coins a block produces is spiking, and if the hashing power is dropping, it means the market value of coins you'd produce per block is dropping.

3.  So it should be possible to use this information to stabilize the value of a cryptocurrency, preventing giant spikes and troughs by adjusting "interest rates" paid on short-term securities.  These short-term securities can amount to just spending your 'stake' input to an output that is time locked a few thousand blocks in the future, and getting paid a small amount of "interest" for doing so.

This wouldn't get any blocks made without a proof-of-work component, but it could be a good way to split coin rewards between proof-of-work and proof-of-stake, while stabilizing the value of the cryptocurrency. 

One caution about this idea; I haven't worked it out fully yet, and this is kind of circular in that you'd be relying on observations of miner's behavior to set a rate which miners could profit from.  So you'd have to be very careful to avoid creating perverse incentives for someone to manipulate short-term interest rates by reallocating hashing power in a way that destabilizes the system.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 03:29:13 PM

I'm not sure the IPO model is even legal (in the US) unless the developers register with the SEC.  How is selling shares in Nxt different than selling shares in Satoshi Dice?  We know Mr. Voorhees recently got nailed for this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=637435.0

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
NewWorldBitOrder

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:01:25 PM

I'm not sure the IPO model is even legal (in the US) unless the developers register with the SEC.  How is selling shares in Nxt different than selling shares in Satoshi Dice?  We know Mr. Voorhees recently got nailed for this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=637435.0

Were any initial investors from the U.S.? If not, then this is void anyway, right?

Also, to make a blanket statement that IPOed coins can't be currencies makes no sense to me. If a coin is accepted and used for purchases it is a currency. NXT has integration with major payment processors supposedly in the works and may become one of the few cryptos accepted for non-gambling related purchases in the near future.

I think most people that criticize NXT are making emotional arguments or have not used the client.

Meanwhile the OP is correct re: XMR (no longer MRO). It will be big one day.

SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:13:47 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens to Bitcoin once it actually becomes deflationary and there are no more mined coins. Something important to note is that if Bitcoin is on average increasing in value all members benefit every moment they hold Bitcoin. With PPC you need to wait 30 days, with Bitcoin you are gaining the second you hold Bitcoin. (assuming both coins have exhausted all PoW minting.)

My criticism was that it takes 30 days to start staking. If PPC made it 12 hours until being allowed to stake then I would have no criticism.

The 30 day wait is unjust.

Bring it down and my criticism of PPC disappears completely.

In the Bitcoin Cooperative Proof-of-Stake project I founded, I am listening for ideas regarding the proof-of-stake policy. I believe that all I need is to assure that stake is not double-voted. I believe that could be accomplished with a 30 minute hold time for the to-myself transaction. Less hold time would be better, because if my project achieves wide approval and is actually launched in January 2016, then once a week when the stakes are recorded, worldwide transactions would be greatly diminished.

Note that CPoS does not need proof-of-stake to secure the blockchain. There is a single non-forking blockchain appended to by a single nomadic mint agent that makes double-spending impossible. Tens of thousands of paid full nodes merely replicate the blockchain - and verify the behavior of the trustless mint agent via tamper-evident logs as suggested by Nick Szabo years ago. Distributed consensus is easier to solve when full nodes identify themselves with public keys, sign all messages, and justify their behavior.

I have shared ideas with three altcoin developer communities so far. If they pioneer some elements of CPoS, then that will help me convince the Bitcoin community during the year of public system testing in 2015. Currently the Bitcoin core developers believe that there is no good alternative to proof-of-work.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:52:09 PM

Were any initial investors from the U.S.? If not, then this is void anyway, right?

Also, to make a blanket statement that IPOed coins can't be currencies makes no sense to me. If a coin is accepted and used for purchases it is a currency. NXT has integration with major payment processors supposedly in the works and may become one of the few cryptos accepted for non-gambling related purchases in the near future.

I think most people that criticize NXT are making emotional arguments or have not used the client.

It looks like you created a new account specifically to respond to my post questioning the legality of the Nxt IPO.  I think I struck a nerve somehow.  

If any of the founders sold shares to US residents, then I believe SEC registration would have been required.  How is this different than Satoshi Dice?  But SEC registration most certainly did not happen (please correct me if I'm wrong), so I believe the SEC would have a case against any of the 47 initial founders should any of them financially profit by selling their stake to US residents.

EDIT: This is interesting.  Perhaps the Eric Voorhees / Satoshi Dice precedent just killed the IPO model for launching cryptocurrencies.    

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:13:33 PM

It looks like you created a new account specifically to respond to my post questioning the legality of the Nxt IPO.  I think I struck a nerve somehow.  

If any of the founders sold shares to US residents, then I believe SEC registration would have been required.  How is this different than Satoshi Dice?  But SEC registration most certainly did not happen (please correct me if I'm wrong), so I believe the SEC would have a case against any of the 47 initial founders should any of them financially profit by selling their stake to US residents.

EDIT: This is interesting.  Perhaps the Eric Voorhees / Satoshi Dice precedent just killed the IPO model for launching cryptocurrencies.    

It's one of the reasons I dropped the IPO model for MC2. I kind of wonder if it has ramifications for spinoffs too, because with a spinoff of Bitcoin you could buy bitcoins now and get coins for them later.

Someone at the company I work for is talking to some corporate lawyers right now about the legality of these IPOs in general.

Note that a lot of banking for other IPOs seems to be done offshore, too (not naming names), and that they're going so far as to avoid the term "IPO" lately.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:54:52 PM

At this point I think it is a semantic argument. These 2.0 currencies can be programmed to essentially do whatever they want.

I don't think they sold it as an IPO, but a few people have commented on it as such. If the intention of the founders can't
be proven in a court of law, then where does it go? And even if it can be proven, I don't think a decentralized network is going
to be taken down anytime soon. I believe it can also just be "forked" as it is open source? This is going to be a huge headache
for the SEC or any government entity that tries to wrangle with it imo.

Fun times are a coming...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
bram_vnl
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 07:56:49 PM

don't for get Guldencoin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: