Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:02:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Willy Report...What do you guys make of it?  (Read 6476 times)
keithers (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:22:13 AM

At the end of the day, we need to set a new ATH.   That way there will be no debate on how we got there Smiley
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:26:42 AM

i had my suspicions that something like this was going on, but figured it was crazy talk. it's crazy how things like this happen in bitcoin -- wild wild west stuff. can't wait until we get some professional level exchanges.
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:28:04 AM

i had my suspicions that something like this was going on, but figured it was crazy talk. it's crazy how things like this happen in bitcoin -- wild wild west stuff. can't wait until we get some professional level exchanges.

That is a double edged sword, because a lot of people will say that regulation will prevent things like this (even though it wouldn't)...
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 01:32:30 AM

That is a double edged sword, because a lot of people will say that regulation will prevent things like this (even though it wouldn't)...

we can prevent it with technology.

in the NXT AE, the only risk in 'counterparty risk' as in- will the issuer of your bearer asset redeem the value of the note?  The risk varies depending on the nature of the underlying in question(if it's bitcoin the risk can be reduced to near zero).  Also the risk can flow freely on the exchange, if an issuer is thought to be disreputable, people will transfer out instantly- thus there is a near real-time reflection of issuer reputation.

ex.  someone issues gold-backed bearer shares in Switzerland.  News got out that their reserves were incomplete- within minutes of the press release, the trading value of those bearer assets are halved.

This real-time response forces the issuers to adhere to strict standards of accountability.

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 03:59:06 AM

Just for curiosity: the Willy Report got some coverage in Chinese e-media today (which is alread Tue May/27 in China)

比特币去年年末暴涨,是因为机器人交易?
[GT]Bitcoin skyrocketed late last year , because the robot trading ?[/GT]
2014-05-27 08:32:59 Source: ZDNet
http://tech.163.com/14/0527/08/9T85SOTU000915BF.html

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:07:48 AM

Just for curiosity: the Willy Report got some coverage in Chinese e-media today (which is alread Tue May/27 in China)

比特币去年年末暴涨,是因为机器人交易?
[GT]Bitcoin skyrocketed late last year , because the robot trading ?[/GT]
2014-05-27 08:32:59 Source: ZDNet
http://tech.163.com/14/0527/08/9T85SOTU000915BF.html

Since all this took place during bitcoin's rise mainly in Nov/Dec 2013, I would think that an ATH that a bot may or may not have brought on (back then),  should not have too much effect on current prices.  As we all know 6 months ago in BTC time, is like a decade ago...
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:29:46 AM

The price had a sudden drop minutes ago.  I suppose that it is the Chinese traders reading the Willy Report, realizing that they never existed, and dumping their non-existent coins on their non-existing exchanges.  Wink

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:24:05 AM

Please people do some basic research. Willy bot trading amounted to less than 3% of BTC traded in November (the figures are easy to find). The price impact would have been marginal. Without Willy the ATH might have been US$ 20 lower. So what?

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 11:45:43 AM

I said it once and I repeat. we know how BOTs work, we know they are there. Willy does not matter.

ndrog

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 01:53:06 PM

Roll Eyes

JorgeStolfi

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:12:51 PM

Please people do some basic research. Willy bot trading amounted to less than 3% of BTC traded in November (the figures are easy to find). The price impact would have been marginal. Without Willy the ATH might have been US$ 20 lower. So what?
The impact on price is not proportional to volume traded.  Most volume recycles the same coins and/or follows the price set by a few traders.  The effect of Markus's lump buys in August, for example, is quite evident.

If Markus/Willy it was indeed THE arbitrage trader that brought the rally from China to MtGOX (and I still have not seen any argument to the contrary), then it was responsible for 90% of the all-time high.

Other arbitrage traders may have arisen if Markus/Willy wasn't there, and some such may have operated, in a less obvious manner, in the later stages of the rally.  However, direct arbitrage with China may have not ben trivial to set up.  Certainly is was not trivial after the December decrees, when BTC-China lost its convenient bank-mediated money channels.  Also, until Nov/29 the arbitrage flow was all in one direction, while after Nov/29 it had to work in both directions, and quickly.  Different arrangements with China, and other money channels, would have been required then.

CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:24:40 PM

Page seems to have been taken down, but the cache is up http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:oc0Mtte8l6MJ:willyreport.wordpress.com

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:38:20 PM

So, he was right after all, at least in some major parts ...

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 02:40:07 PM

So, he was right after all, at least in some major parts ...

they probably threatened to sue for defamation.

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
kkell

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:45:35 PM

just a precursor to a major dump
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:31:13 AM

Page seems to have been taken down
Welcome to the Brave New Free World...

keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:55:32 AM

I haven't been back to this thread in a bit, you guys are right, the article has been removed. And the plot thickens... Dun dun dun... Does anyone still need to read it? We can copy and paste it here if so...
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:18:58 PM

I just wanted to let you know that i sold my good old friend Willy to Slovenia. They are having some problems configurating him correctly.
But i´m on my way to the airport right now, to help em get everything fixed. You will soon see a new ATH.

Yours

Mark
You can not be the right Mark Karpeles, since he would have written soon-ish. Wink

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:11:24 PM

I just wanted to let you know that i sold my good old friend Willy to Slovenia. They are having some problems configurating him correctly.
But i´m on my way to the airport right now, to help em get everything fixed. You will soon see a new ATH.

Yours

Mark
You can not be the right Mark Karpeles, since he would have written soon-ish. Wink

Lol the letter above is classic!!
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 02:21:16 AM

i had my suspicions that something like this was going on, but figured it was crazy talk. it's crazy how things like this happen in bitcoin -- wild wild west stuff. can't wait until we get some professional level decentralized exchanges.
FTFY
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: