Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:52:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW ATH BY END OF JULY & $5000 PER BITCOIN BY END OF YEAR  (Read 9252 times)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:36:56 PM

Ok... I've been a long-term bitcoin bull since I first really researched it in 2011. But you guys with your charts are grasping at air. Humans are natural pattern seekers, so this is all very tempting, but you're drawing conclusions based on a sample-set of 2 (and not to mention while also ignoring the 2011-2013 peak-to-peak of 20 months).

Look at it from a market-cap and global-influence perspective. Something going from a $100M to $1B market cap is going from a pittance to....still a pittance. Thus, there are many dynamics that can cause such a thing to happen. We're probably still in that realm going from $1B to $10B. Ten billion is still small in terms of global finance. There are plenty of *individuals* with higher net worth, and hundreds if not thousands of equities.

But the next order of magnitude up crosses a line. At $100B, there are only a few global equities with higher market-cap, zero individuals, and we're starting to get into the M2 money-supply range of somewhat important nations. Go toward $200-$500B and we're in serious global influence territory. Crossing that line out of "not globally important" is a big deal, and it can't happen easily.

That said, I think we *can* get to $30B-$50B market-cap on largely the same dynamics that have brought us this far. To get above, that, though, bitcoin will have to win some major battles.

Great comment, melbustus. Thanks.

Similar to an argument I play out in my head occasionally. 100B (or somewhere around there) crosses into a new territory, imo. Marx' Umschlag von Quantität und Qualität comes to mind (the transition from a difference in quantity to a difference in quality.)

Just to play devil's advocate, I want to say that perhaps market cap might not be the one true indicator of when we move from pittance to globally important.

I serve this with a large helping of salt, but roughly speaking it looks like a n^x increase in price only requires xn in fiat volume. That is to say that if the market cap was to increase exponentially, the fiat needed to support that price only appears to increase geometrically.

This is a loose observation just glancing quickly at price /volume in fiat and necessarily means looking back at gox data, so theres potentially interference, and more than likely a bit of wishful thinking Smiley

What it might mean (here's that wishful thinking) is that the move to $10k could still happen without a globally significant amount of fiat backing it, and that it might be a move to $100k that would necessitate the transition to quality.

Of course bear in mind that I'm the frothy mouthed kind of bitcoin nutter that thinks the willy report is long term bullish Wink

Good point. But there are two ways to look at the question "what kind of price increase will be possible assuming we are fundamentally 'the same' as now?".

One way is to look at it causally, what you seem to do, looking at USD volume in relation to XBT/USD. The other way is what I did (and I think melbustus as well): without speculating on the exact cause that would prevent us from reaching the level of the "global players", we assume we won't reach that level until some fundamentals change qualitatively (say: merchant adoption reaches a point where large companies need to report on their XBT turnover vs. their USD turnover... something like that), because the resultant capitalization would be a qualitative change. Circular argument, maybe, but based on experience/intuition, I suppose.

Anyway, I agree with you in that 10k XBT/USD might still be within reach of the "current level" of fundamentals... the (very vaguely defined) global player valuation is closer to 500B than 100B, imo, so 10k per coin at ~10M coins could still be possible.

roughly speaking it looks like a n^x increase in price only requires xn in fiat volume. That is to say that if the market cap was to increase exponentially, the fiat needed to support that price only appears to increase geometrically.

Sure you mean "geometrically"? A geometric series still undergoes exponential growth. You formula seems to imply linear growth in fiat vs. exponential growth in XBT/USD.

I'm wondering though, how do you get to that formula? It's, well, one of my "pet projects", to find a way to analyze USD volume as a predictor for XBT/USD, but that ratio is not something I personally found yet, and I admit, I'm also a bit skeptical about it. Care to motivate it a bit more?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5069

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:28:25 PM

Only way we'll be at $5k by the end of the year is if someone unleashes another Markus and Willy.

Not really.  During the Nov run up, I estimate that deep pocket whale speculators (worldwide, mind you) pumped in about 10-20% of the fiat that brought us from $150 to $1100.  From a $1B market cap to a $12B market cap.  Then they traded it back down, and left the market several weeks ago, leaving the market rock bottom at about $4.5B.  Now they are slowly starting to re-enter the market.  Provided 2-3X the number of whales come back into the market during the next run up, and we have 2-3X more bitcoiners joining the party by that point, hitting $5K/BTC should be trivial.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:32:58 PM

while i do agree that an increase in 'market cap' does not automatically mean the same amount of dollars entered the system (in fact this is almost never the case), i do not know the relation it does have in reality.

But i do know that for the market cap to rise $40 million for example, far less money than $40 million is needed.
RockHound

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:18:48 PM

Only way we'll be at $5k by the end of the year is if someone unleashes another Markus and Willy.

The report suggested ~$112Mil systematic injection.

So if say $560Mil came into BTC space, we'd be close to $5000+/BTC ? Assuming there's a correlation.

I'm no whale, but isn't $1/2Billion "chump change", relatively?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBODoBaCns

I don't think we'll hit $5000 range in 6 months time, but just saying....   Smiley

master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 02:54:27 AM

I seriously don't think BTC will break $5k before the end of the year, let alone 2 months. Unless a large amount of fiat starts entering the BTC market in the next few weeks, we'll continue our cautious and steady upwards trend, but nowhere near $5k in the next 2 months.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:25:58 AM

Classic smoothie thread.

OP is very smooth.  Cheesy
My prediction is $3,200 to 3,800 for the upper range of the next big move....this year or next.

kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:58:33 PM

13 days to go. I guess it could happen, but we have a lot of ground to cover.  Grin

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:01:20 PM

Heard about Dell. Went shopping. Price slightly up already. It's totally possible, all we need for big money now is the ETF and similar setups, and a lot of sideline money know it.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:06:20 PM

Short-live frenzy due to Dell might take us to near 640 but some people will dump nevertheless.

How cool would it be otherwise to have a new bubble started a few hours after Dell's anouncement?

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:37:04 PM

Still 2 weeks to go before we are all rich!
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:46:41 PM

Will donate 0.5 BTC to OP if BTC hits 5k$ before 1 August 2014 Cool

Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:47:33 PM

Just wondering how much selling pressure these big companies make when they accept Bitcoin via payment processors who exchange coins to fiat. BitPay itself processes over $1M/day worth of bitcoin transactions - most of these coins are being exchanged for fiat. Good thing is that this also spreads the coins to larger crowd..

Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 10:57:36 PM

When I want to buy with Bitcoin, I first buy some new Bitcoin, then use that in my purchase.  I'm not touching my cold storage.  So that's a net wash in terms of buying vs selling pressure.  Though the sell always comes somewhat after the buy.  So you might say there is buying pressure for a short time.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 11:09:04 PM

Just wondering how much selling pressure these big companies make when they accept Bitcoin via payment processors who exchange coins to fiat. BitPay itself processes over $1M/day worth of bitcoin transactions - most of these coins are being exchanged for fiat. Good thing is that this also spreads the coins to larger crowd..

i think thats the main point right now.
a company like dell accepting and promoting bitcoin will increase the adoption-rate and it will be only a matter of time (if its not already the case) that the companies will hold atleast x% of their bitcoins.

@thread

i would rather say new ath at end of the year - i jut dont see enough buy pressure

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 12:16:55 AM

Short-live frenzy due to Dell might take us to near 640 but some people will dump nevertheless.

How cool would it be otherwise to have a new bubble started a few hours after Dell's anouncement?

that seems to be the trend. when there's good news like this, it'll go up slightly, and then fall back roughly to where it started.

we really need the ETF to launch if we want to see bitcoin take off.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 02:57:51 AM

10 folds increase in 5 months is not a rational expectation from investor viewpoint.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 03:02:37 AM

10 folds increase in 5 months is not a rational expectation from investor viewpoint.

Yeah but bitcoin is not a normal investment and that folds are more than usual in this enviroment.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:11:28 AM

Will donate 0.5 BTC to OP if BTC hits 5k$ before 1 August 2014 Cool

Will donate 5 BTC to OP if BTC hits 5k$ before 1 August 2014 Cool

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 07:22:00 AM

Okay, we still got 11 days to make this happen. $540 gain in 11 days. Sounds daunting, and I'm sure we could do it if all the bulls hadn't already bought in. Tongue
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 09:01:26 AM

Okay, we still got 11 days to make this happen. $540 gain in 11 days. Sounds daunting, and I'm sure we could do it if all the bulls hadn't already bought in. Tongue

Looks like at best I will be half right by year end.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: