Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:40:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSING] GHash.IO mining pool official page  (Read 149383 times)
ghash.io (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 06:01:12 AM

Official Statement on the Last Week’s DDoS-attack against GHash.IO Mining Pool

Last week, GHash.IO has experienced a DDoS-attack against the pool. Although the website itself did work, miners were not able to mine during 6 hours, as a result of the attack tacking up to 40 Gbps.
At the moment, GHash.IO works properly. Anti-DDoS protection provided by Voxility hosting is integrated with our platform. It’s worth mentioning that there was no information leak or crashed accounts, and only GHash.IO stratum server has been attacked, not affecting CEX.IO exchange.

The attack has been conducted by a hacker who has already DDOS-ed CEX.IO in October, 2014. Previously, he demanded 2 BTC for stopping the attack. This time, the payment has been raised to 5-10 Bitcoins. According to his words,
“Usually, I have to run the attack for 1 hour or less and I get paid, so large damage is prevented,”
which means, other services have also been attacked. After everything has been fixed, the hacker stopped writing to us.

At the moment, we are in touch with other services that have been DDOS-ed, among them — Bitalo. We are open for communication and are ready to help other Bitcoin services to prevent the attacks.

Since we suspended cloud mining services, all miners that are currently using GHash.IO are individual miners who trust our platform. With a 0% fee, we are not getting any profit from the mining pool, but we believe that mining is an extremely valuable process for the industry in general, for generating new coins and confirming transactions.

That is why we’ve made all possible efforts to restore the service and are encouraging miners to connect their hardware to the pool. We will continue developing mining side of our company and invest into improving security of the pool so that Bitcoin adherents could enjoy using our service that is secure and free of charge.

Source: CEX.IO blog – http://blog.cex.io/news/official-statement-on-the-ddos-attack-against-ghash-io-mining-pool-13355

(CoinDesk: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-mining-pools-ddos-attacks/)
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:02:44 PM

...we are not getting any profit from the mining pool...

BS. You don't seriously expect anyone to believe that do you?

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:25:16 AM

Is Ghash.io still having issues ? I've never seen a period like this last week or so where the block-times have been so long.

Just bad luck ?
ghash.io (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 10:32:22 AM

GHash.IO does not get any profit from miners. Our pool has 0% fees, and every block reward goes to miners who have chosen to connect their hardware to the pool and contribute to the Bitcoin network.
We do not get any profit from our cloud mining services (which are still available for everyone – you can turn on cloud mining manually if you choose to do so) as well – all the fees go to service providers to cover electricity and maintenance cost. We consider these two directions as our input in the Bitcoin community and cryptocurrency itself.

Our main project is CEX.IO, the exchange, and trading is where the revenue comes from.
By registering with GHash.IO, miners automatically get a CEX.IO account where they can trade their GHs or crypto. Truth to be told, by allowing miners to use our 0% pool, we are hoping to increase our user base at CEX.IO.
ghash.io (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 10:36:33 AM

Is Ghash.io still having issues ? I've never seen a period like this last week or so where the block-times have been so long.

Just bad luck ?

Last week there was a problem where miners could not mine for 6 hours at all. Right now, everything is under control, we are managing the attacks well.
Blocks taking so long to mine is, unfortunately, bad luck indeed.

cathoderay

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:53:38 AM

GHash.IO does not get any profit from miners.

We do not get any profit from our cloud mining services.

Absolute lies. So are you trying to say that you are doing all this out of the kindness of your heart?  Cheesy Cheesy

Your only "input in the Bitcoin community" has been using your pool for double spending attacks (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=327767.0) & manipulating prices on your scam CEX cloudmining/exchange service.

The Bitcoin network is better off without you.

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
IYFTech

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:13:49 PM

GHash.IO does not get any profit from miners.

We do not get any profit from our cloud mining services.

Absolute lies. So are you trying to say that you are doing all this out of the kindness of your heart?  Cheesy Cheesy

Your only "input in the Bitcoin community" has been using your pool for double spending attacks (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=327767.0) & manipulating prices on your scam CEX cloudmining/exchange service.

The Bitcoin network is better off without you.

+1

Not forgetting their block withholding on a regular basis in an effort to increase their profits they claim not to be making...... Roll Eyes

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:39:31 PM

Not forgetting their block withholding on a regular basis in an effort to increase their profits they claim not to be making...... Roll Eyes
Is there any discussion and proof of this somewhere ?

Something just feels "off" mining there over the last little while. Logically, I would just like to write it off to bad luck and DDoS, but I've seen these withholding rumors enough that it's gotten me thinking there might be some substance to the allegations.

EG: Ghash.io has considerably more hash rate than BTCGuild, yet BTCguild is solving more blocks, according to https://blockchain.info/pools - Just bad luck ?
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:05:08 PM

Something just feels "off" mining there over the last little while. Logically, I would just like to write it off to bad luck and DDoS, but I've seen these withholding rumors enough that it's gotten me thinking there might be some substance to the allegations.

EG: Ghash.io has considerably more hash rate than BTCGuild, yet BTCguild is solving more blocks, according to https://blockchain.info/pools - Just bad luck ?
thats what I'm saying. Even with btcguild fee, you make more money and that just doesn't seem logical.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:02:09 PM

thats what I'm saying. Even with btcguild fee, you make more money and that just doesn't seem logical.

I think this is why so many miners have left this pool.
FreeK

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:38:56 PM

Ghash even billed me for mining 0.00000000 BTC with my own hardware ("11.2. Maintenance Cost is not charged if the Bitcoins are mined with the User’s personal hardware." source: Terms ):
https://i.imgur.com/4XChC0J.png

So if there isn't a bug within their calculation, I'd say they're scamming honest miners.
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 07:28:21 PM

I can't understand why anyone would stay here when there are so many superior options.
MaximeAD

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

cryptominer.ca

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 07:35:37 PM

I can't understand why anyone would stay here when there are so many superior options.

What would you suggest?

I don't understand all the hate with GHash. Not charging fees does not mean that they are thieves...

http://www.cryptominer.ca - Bitcoin Miner Hosting Solutions
Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 07:50:19 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2015, 03:57:31 AM by Xian01

Yeah, looking at stats today, I think I'm going to bail on ghash.io tonight and return back to the venerable Guild mining for Team America.

Looking at the stats over the last two weeks vs BTCGuild, I can't understand why ghash.io is dramatically underpaying when it has ~+5PH more.

What are the odds of that happening ?!

EDIT: Done. Moved 15THs off ghash.io and moved it to BTCG. Buh bye ghash. It was nice while it lasted.
IYFTech

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 01:46:35 PM

What would you suggest?

I don't understand all the hate with GHash. Not charging fees does not mean that they are thieves...

But that's exactly what they are - thieves. There are 2 examples on this page alone, double spending & mining with your own equipment for a negative balance are both fine examples stealing/thieving.....

I would suggest any pool that has a reputable owner (research), pays on time (research again), has a happy user base (read the pools thread) and doesn't use a ticket system to hide behind for support - a good, well run & honest pool will give timely support directly on their pools thread.

MaximeAD

cryptominer.ca

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2015, 02:24:53 PM

But that's exactly what they are - thieves. There are 2 examples on this page alone, double spending & mining with your own equipment for a negative balance are both fine examples stealing/thieving.....

I would suggest any pool that has a reputable owner (research), pays on time (research again), has a happy user base (read the pools thread) and doesn't use a ticket system to hide behind for support - a good, well run & honest pool will give timely support directly on their pools thread.

The double spending episode was in November 2013 which is kind of old in this industry. I didn't investigate, but it may be a bug or a malicious employee. Seems it got fixed

For the maintenance fee, didn't happen in two of the accounts I manage.

The only thing is the bad luck they are having right now. Since they supposedly have 6% of the network, there shouldn't be that much variance over 4 days to easifly justify such a deviation. I'm keeping my eyes open but they look wayyyyy less shady than other operators. It's not an efficient strategy to hop pool at each bad luck streak..

aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 02:31:47 PM

I know when I was mining on GHash there were a couple of times their code messed up and I would get paid for the same block multiple times. So one can only figure it screwed up other ways as well that we didn't see?
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 08:23:29 PM

The double spending episode was in November 2013 which is kind of old in this industry. I didn't investigate, but it may be a bug or a malicious employee. Seems it got fixed

For the maintenance fee, didn't happen in two of the accounts I manage.

The only thing is the bad luck they are having right now. Since they supposedly have 6% of the network, there shouldn't be that much variance over 4 days to easifly justify such a deviation. I'm keeping my eyes open but they look wayyyyy less shady than other operators. It's not an efficient strategy to hop pool at each bad luck streak..
4 days? it's been longer than that.
Which pool are you mining at that is shady? I've been on the scene for a long time and mined at several pools along the way and ghash is by far the worst one I have dealt with.
If it's a new pool and you didn't read all the fine print and lost from it, does that mean all ops are shady?

Maybe the war is getting to them. They trying to bank and move away from the cold Ukraine winters and away from Mother Russia.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 09:25:52 PM

With BTCGuild you get both good and bad luck, with Ghash.io you just get bad luck. I'm told it could theoretically happen without any foul play. However, I am also told that if every atom in my hand is correctly in time with the table I can move my hand through the table without touching it. It could happen, but it's veryvery unlikely.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
MaximeAD

cryptominer.ca

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 01:59:46 AM

It could happen, but it's veryvery unlikely.

Not THAT unlikely... A quick calculation with:
* 20 PH/s of calculation power
* 77 blocks found in 10.85 days

We find that it had about 6% of chance (Assume a Poisson Distribution with lambda = 92) of having worst luck. It's bad, but not a total surprise to see it.

We are far from 0.1%--1%...

If we had the history of GHash block found with reported hashing power (Longer than what is provided), we could evaluate on longer term.. BUt for now, no alarm to hop.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: