Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:21:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: A fund for an alternative Bitcoin development team.  (Read 7979 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 10:25:52 PM

March 11, 2012.

Expect big things. You heard it here first.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 10:42:26 PM

March 11, 2012.

Will it be an announcement that it's closed due to a lack of interest?

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 10:47:03 PM

March 11, 2012.

Will it be an announcement that it's closed due to a lack of interest?
Is there an inside joke I am missing here?

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 10:50:22 PM

^ No it's just skepticism. Now please surprise us! I firmly believe that competition can only be good for Bitcoin.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 04:13:29 PM

March 11, 2012.

Hey, its past March 11, 2012 now.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 04:23:28 PM

I canceled all my appointments and sent my men home with paid to set and wait for this today. Please don't disappoint me.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 05:42:48 PM

I don't think the dev team gets enough credit. Remember that time the client had a security vulnerability and a bunch of people lost their money? Me neither.
+1

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 06:11:16 PM

A little patience guys, the Boss is on his way back from Andromeda, traffic jam Wink
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 12:12:24 AM

Don't know what to make of it, but Atlas's home page sure is cool as fuck.

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 12:31:53 AM

Whats really is bad from a user point is the huge block download, people will think it sucks, but my guess is that it will also
be adressed.

This is pretty much the only thing that is not optimal.

People have no problem waiting two hours to download a movie.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 02:31:05 AM

Bitcoin-qt was fine when John Smith wrote it, having it absorbed into the main bitcoin bundle just serves as a potential distraction from the important part, which is bitcoind.

I can understand that it was probably easier to pull it into bitcoin because it was so inextricably entwined into the internals that probably ought to be bitcoind's business only and not concern clients whatsoever, but still, bitcoind - the actual core protocol code - is what the core team should be working on and allowing the GUI GU GUI oh shiny wah wah where's my GUI I can't read nor write I gotta click click click crowd divert attention from the core stuff happens too darn often in too many things.

Maybe when Armory takes off qt can be deprecated until someone unravels it from bitcoind so it can run separately as a front end using an API to interface with the actual protocol.

-MarkM-

P.S: When I run stuff as another username in text mode, it cannot read my keyboard, scrape my screen, track my mouse movements and so on, as far as I am aware. Whereas if I let it have access to Xwindows (my GUI), it can do all those things, last I heard... Thus encouraging people to use a GUI for mission-critical financial applications seems a bad idea. (No wonder they get their wallets stolen? Their passwords are visible to any trojan they allow to access their GUI system? Does that apply to Windows GUI also?)

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:36:26 AM

Bitcoin-qt was fine when John Smith wrote it, having it absorbed into the main bitcoin bundle just serves as a potential distraction from the important part, which is bitcoind.

I can understand that it was probably easier to pull it into bitcoin because it was so inextricably entwined into the internals that proably ought to be bitcoind's business anly and not concern clients whatsoever, but still, bitcoind - the actual core protocol code - is what the core team should be working on and allowing the GUI GU GUI oh shiny wah wah where's my GUI I can't rerad nor write I gotta clock click click crowd divert attention from the core stuff happens too darn often in too many things.

Maybe when Armory takes off qt can be deprecated until someone unravels it from bitcoind so it can run separately as a front end using an API to interface with the actual protocol.

-MarkM-

For the most part, wumpus still maintains QT, and the rest of the devs focus on bitcoind, although there is necessarily more overlap than there was initially.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 01:46:25 AM

March 11, 2012.

So, what about these things, Atlas?
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 01:48:54 AM

March 11, 2012.

http://bitkoin.su

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 01:56:04 AM

March 11, 2012.

hmm...how typical is this?
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 02:18:46 AM

If you have the money, just start it. if you just ask for free opinion, it's no and this not a good idea.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 02:25:57 AM

March 11, 2012.

hmm...how typical is this?
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

It must be a host-related issue (nearlyfreespeech.net). That's all I can say about that.

reg

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 07:17:51 AM

Gavin- you are doing just fine for me:

I am not the World's Best Security Expert.
I am not the World's Best Programmer.
I am not a cryptographer.
I am not an expert on finance or banking or monetary systems.
I am not an expert on leading open source projects.

If you want the best security DO NOT ask a cop
If you want the best program DO NOT rely on the best programmer
Hardly anyone is a cryptographer
If you want to replace the current defunct finance and baking system DO NOT ask an expert (where x is an unknown and a spurt is a drip under pressure)
If you want a leader DO NOT ask for volunteers or vote on it co-opt the most able all round guy and support him 100%

Gavin you got the job!   reg.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:27:26 AM

Gavin is the right guy to lead the team.  "herding cats" is not an easy task.

Developers are free to make their own lightweight or mobile clients, which are also needed in the bitcoin world.

As a significant shareholder, I disagree. If Bitcoin was a company and had a board, I would of asked for Gavin's resignation long ago.

Gavin gives me the impression of a tinkerer, an experimenter, a hobbyist. When it comes to Bitcoin being made as a product for human beings, I find him completely lacking. He's not a business person and he admits that shamelessly. What Bitcoin needs more than ever is the human element.

I am confident people will inevitably agree and act upon this -- far beyond simple clients.

You are completely out of place, mumbling like a small child which got lost and doesn't know where it is.

Let me clearify some simple rules for you:

- Open Source projects are **NOT** companies, neither they behave as one
- Open Source projects are **NOT** ruled by shareholders.
- Open Source projects are **NOT** ruled by money.
- If you want something done well in Open Source world, do it yourself
    - If you can't do it yourself, find somebody who can and pay him
- If you don't like a project, just fork it or write it from the scratch (but you still have to convince people to use your version which will not be easy)

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:31:56 AM

I will be justifying my criticism very shortly.

If you've got a great business model and funding for a much better bitcoin client, more power to you!

If you're planning on defacing one of the web servers that I haven't been keeping up-to-date (because I'm busy doing Bitcoin-related things) or hacking my gmail account to prove that I'm not The World's Best Security Expert... then I'll save you the trouble:

I am not the World's Best Security Expert.
I am not the World's Best Programmer.
I am not a cryptographer.
I am not an expert on finance or banking or monetary systems.
I am not an expert on leading open source projects.

And I hope someday I get replaced as the technical lead for this project. I'm sure there are lots of people better qualified than me, I'm just doing the best I can to try to help make Bitcoin a success.

Gavin, i previously had my share of doubts whether are you are right man on the right place, but now i think you fit the position very well.

Linus torvalds also wasn't a world-class genius when he started Linux kernel project. You surely have potential to become Linus of the Bitcoin world.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: